View Full Version : My son finally saw a counselor ...

Dedicated Mama
11-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Hi there to all, my son has been in Lancaster reception since Sept. 22nd.

He finally met with his counselor on Nov 3rd who asked him questions like, Do you have any children? Are you married? Who do you live with? Are you affiliated with any gangs? Do you have any tattoos? After answering no to the questions and telling them he lives with his parents and siblings, they gave him his score of 23 points. Questions is, what does that mean and how does that work?

After he's given his score my son says they told him what yard he qualifies for and what prison(s) he may go to. He was given a slip with two options that they get to choose. First option is RJD-I ... what is that? Second option was CCF ... ??? When he was in court the judge recommended fire camp for him.

He was also told that he had enough points to qualify for a 2-yard but she was going to recommend that he go to a 1-yard. Sorry for more questions but what does all this mean? He did say that he was told the transfer could take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.

Now for the release date, he was sentenced to 2 yrs and was given 50% time, minus time served. He gave me a release date of August 23, 2007 but it doesn't sound right, he was arrested on August 11th and has been in ever since.

So many questions and trying to understand it all. He was given restitution too but that's another issue. Thanks to all for taking the time to read and reply.

Take care!

JLS
11-08-2006, 11:41 AM
His score of 23 is his classification score, which determines what level of security he needs. A score of 23 is level 2, but if he has no violence,escape history or sex offenses, he will be given an override to level 1. That is the lowest level the CDCR has.
His time served in the county jail does not qualify for 1/2 time, it is 1/3 time. That is probably why his date is not what you expected. But since he has less than a year to do in prison, he can not go to camp. RJD-I is Richard J Donovan level 1 in San Diego. There are 17 CCF's ( Community Correctional Facilities) which are private prisons that take level 1 inmates.

MrsCarpenter
11-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Wow, I am happy to hear your son has seen his counselor already, My husband has been at Lancaster since September 12, and still hasnt seen a counselor. I hope he see's one soon.

Dedicated Mama
11-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks JLS and Mrs Carpenter. What is the best score?

JLS
11-08-2006, 03:38 PM
The lower the score, the better.

marvmartian
11-08-2006, 04:31 PM
my son has been gone since april and wont get out till march. A counselor called about a month ago. My first time here I as I read these stories makes me feel that I am not alone. God Bless each and everyone with families who are in prison.

Dedicated Mama
11-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Yikes ... than 23 is not so good.

Thanks to everyone for your responses and sharing the info.

JLS
11-08-2006, 05:37 PM
23 points are not bad. It is level 2 and assuming no violence, escape history, or sex offenses, he will be given an override to level 1. That is as low a level as the CDCR has.

Dedicated Mama
11-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks JLS, you have been a great help. My son has no violence, escape history, or sex offenses so hopefully they will put him in level 1. Bummer that he can't go to firecamp, I here those are way better than an actual prison.

What are the chances for an earlier release? Maybe for work time or good behavior or etc.

He says he signed up for classes while he's in, do they get credit or time off for being in various classes?

JLS
11-08-2006, 08:17 PM
The August 23, 2007 date is his Earliest Possible Release Date (EPRD). That is the date he will be released, assuming he stays out of trouble. The EPRD is calculated giving him the maximum amount of behavioral and program credits. It is the earliest date he can be released.

Dedicated Mama
11-08-2006, 09:07 PM
ok, thanks.

Richsak13
11-08-2006, 11:17 PM
I HAD A QUIK QUESTION IF SOMEONE IS A LEVEL ONE CAN THEY BE HOUSED ON A LEVEL 3 YARD??? MAYBE BECUZ OF OVERCROWDING???His score of 23 is his classification score, which determines what level of security he needs. A score of 23 is level 2, but if he has no violence,escape history or sex offenses, he will be given an override to level 1. That is the lowest level the CDCR has.
His time served in the county jail does not qualify for 1/2 time, it is 1/3 time. That is probably why his date is not what you expected. But since he has less than a year to do in prison, he can not go to camp. RJD-I is Richard J Donovan level 1 in San Diego. There are 17 CCF's ( Community Correctional Facilities) which are private prisons that take level 1 inmates.

cadustin
11-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Dedicated Mama, if you can, tell your son NOT to go to a CCF! They are not run very well AND you would have to reapply for visitation. I don't know if Donovan is a far drive for you, but if he actually has a choice between the two, I would tell him to go there. If you are looking for a closer prison, I don't know if Tehachapi is closer to you, but that is a level 2 prison and again it is not a CCF. My husband is at Desert View MCCF and they pretty much change the rules on a daily basis.

Dedicated Mama
11-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks Dusty's Lady, I will give that information to my son. Hopefully they will not send him to a CCF, I am still waiting for my visitors approval and it would be a pain to have to start over. Donovan is about 2 hrs from me, not close but not too bad either.