View Full Version : New USP opening

MRSLMW
08-20-2003, 06:12 PM
In case anyone is interested, the USP Big Sandy is opening in Inez, KY in October. According to the BOP's web site it will also have an adjacent male FCI.

Inez is in the south eastern portion of KY, close to the W. VA line in Martin County. (In the middle of nowhere, of course!)

JillianTX
08-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Why do they always do this, open these prisons so far from airports or othr means of transportation, making it difficult on the families?

MRSLMW
08-21-2003, 02:56 PM
Jillian,

Hi, welcome aboard!

They don't WANT anyone to vist, that's why. If there are no visits, then they can get away with more things. That's why if there is fog, they will always drag out the counts, just to aggravate the visitors, so the guards can get paid without having to deal with the outside world for as long as possible.

Here in KY I am SURE good old congressman Hal Rogers had something to do with getting the BOP to build a new facility in the depressed region. Or maybe Senator Mitch McConnel, (the senator whose daughter has tied up children and put tape over thier mouths to keep them quiet in a private upstate NY school). Yep, that's my representation.

This makes 5 fed joints now in KY

> Lexington, FMC
> Ashland, KY FCI
> Manchester, KY FCI
> Big Sandy, USP
> Mc Creary FCI
(I am including camps in that list)

Mc Creary is down by the TN line, and it's actually not bad to get to. Major interstate and good two/four lanes after that.

It's not open yet either, I think maybe it will open next Janurary. It was supposed to be a USP, buuuuuuuut who knows what happened there.

It's located in the town of Pine Knot, and rumor has it that after they got it almost done, they discovered it was built on a sinkhole or something. (just rumors, but more likely an abandoned mine shaft if it really is sinking)

It was actually supposed to open last year, so something is going on with it. And it's not on the BOP website yet either.

Guess KY needs all the prisons it can get, since if they aren't in prison now, have'nt been there before, they'll be going some day!

With the total corruption around this state so high, (heck they kill political oppenents they don't like, FACT), the low education, high unemployment, and the way to ever loving high taxes and insurance rates, the Bureau fits right in!

Zelda50
08-21-2003, 03:10 PM
I think they find the most environmentally unsound land they can and buy it cheap. Besides, the guy who owns the biggest prison commissary supply company in the country (who's Republican) also owns Avis rental car. He's making money off families of inmates big time!! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. Zelda

kintml2u
08-22-2003, 04:25 AM
About 2 weeks ago, while I was on the BOP site...they did have listed 12 new locations. Ofcourse after I posted about it...then went back...they were gone again! lol
I wrote the BOP site..they answered by saying it was posted in error...it should have only been seen by them!
But just for anyone who is interested...these were the ones posted....

FCI's............................................U SP's
Herlong CA...................................Tucson AZ
Forest City AR (med).....................Terre Haute IN (USP 2)
Pollack LA (med)...........................Caanan PA
Bennettsville SC............................Hazelton WV
Williamsburg SC............................Big Sandi KY
Yazoo City MS (FCI 2)....................Mc Creary KY

They had Mc Creay listed as a USP when it was there. I did print a copy off when seeing all these new locations temporaily posted. The FY 2004 budget starts in October I believe so we may see most or atleast some of these starting to activate after that time. There was also an article I read online somewhere that had other locations in the works that are not listed here. Do we think they are building fast enough yet? When will they figure out building the way out is not the answer?

Diane

KelliKoz
08-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Another reason why they do this is to assist in raising employment in rural communities and it is easier to find employees willing to join the BOP because there aren't any other choices. I'll try and find the article I read this in.

Kelli

MRSLMW
08-22-2003, 09:08 PM
KelliKoz,

Yes, I know this. For many prison towns, the prison is the biggest employer. Some towns and cities don't want them, but they do bring business into an area.

Terre Haute, IN fought very hard to get its third prison built there. There were many city meetings with the community and also meeting with the BOP. They LOVE being a prison city.

But, the raw truth is prison is no longer a place where they try to help people sent away for a crime, (I never say rehabilitate, because to rehabilitate means to make one as they were before. Well, if you take that literally, then we should let everyone out of prison, give the dealers back their dope, give the pedophiles children to be alone with, give the robbers a gun and drop them off at the store of their choice), is to PUNISH them, and one effective way to punish them is to put them as far away from the support of their family and friends as is possible.

I don't begrudge any town from wanting the economic benifits of having a prison, but another truth is that they don't just open up the doors to all the locals and say come on in and work for us, the do bring in lots of staff from other facilities. They have to, for evryone's safety.

I do think sometimes that they pick more impoverished areas because they know that most people will either not want to work in a prison, or can't work in one due to their criminal behaviour.

Look, within a 50 mile radius of the prison where my husband is there are 2 county jails, 1 police dept, and 1 sheriff's dept. under investigation. They just arressted a deputy on four counts of theft by deception, one felony. Southeastern KY is one of the most corrupt places in the US and everyone knows it. Also, the joke around here is that if you want a divorce, let your wife work in the federal prison!

Also, for all the years this place has been open, the county its in is only getting poorer and the jobless rate keeps going up. So tell me, where are all the jobs for the locals?

MRSLMW
08-23-2003, 02:51 PM
Here is a link to an interesting article on whether or not building prisons in ruarl areas really help those communities.

http://www.prisonsucks.com/scans/building.html