View Full Version : Release - Does the prison just release them with nowhere to go?

TMHot1
10-30-2006, 09:21 PM
I was in another thread and that made me think about where or to who inmates are released. Please tell me if the prison will just send them walking with nowhere to go or if they have to have some place or person to go to. Thanks.

Blueyez94
11-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Unless the inmate has family or friends to get them when they are released, or stay with.. I know in Alabama they give them a bus ticket and depending how long incarcerated like $10 and the state is done with them once they have done there time.

KAINZ
11-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Pa About The Same No Monies? And County Jail They Just Let You Out And Its In The Evenings

TedEBare
11-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Can anyone tell me what happens in Michigan when they are released?

concrete_angel
11-04-2006, 09:08 PM
my husband will be released on 4-2-07 after first count in the morning. He said he will be released with what is called a gate fee of 100.00 which he also said will go to 200.00 the first of the new year, but this is money that he made inside doing a DOC job. his rate of pay is 50 cents an hour and of that the DOC takes 1/2 which is the gate fee. I do not know what happens if they have no one on the outside for them or where they go. I know has the time draws closer I myself will be conversing with the DOC in hopes of finding out what, where and when things will happen or not happen in the hopes that this be my husbands last time on that side of the fence or in those stone walls.

Melissa_2006
11-04-2006, 09:16 PM
The BOP could probally care less unfortunally.

nimuay
11-04-2006, 10:02 PM
About the most help they'll get is a list of shelters and Salvation Army locations in the area they're in.

mia_101
11-04-2006, 10:10 PM
In Arizona they just send you out with $50. There is a neighborhood in Phoenix with really cheap by-the-week places that are full of ex-cons.

dinnwanna
11-05-2006, 05:42 PM
I heard that in Oregon they are released to the county they fell in...i don't know if that means they are transported back to that county or if they are let out the door and have to get back there on their own....<shrug>

babii_fliris526
11-06-2006, 01:28 AM
my man just went to westville indiana correctional facility...and he was in lake county jail in indiana...its his first time out there...and Im worried how will he get back and what time witll they release him...pls respond....

nimuay
11-06-2006, 08:45 AM
You can call his facility, if the out date is approaching soon. If it is still a while off, then they won't give you anything carved in stone, because he could catch a case, get some major write-ups, and that would affect his date.
Usually they will release in the morning, shortly after breakfast and count. He'll be given all the info he needs by his counsellor.

jessesmp
11-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Mia I always thought in Arizona they got at least 50.00, so not true. If they work and contribute towards their gate fee then they will. My Hubbie just got released in Septemeber, with a check for 4.00 and a pair of DOC boxers. They usually will take you back to the county you came from though. I do believe also that if there going to be on Parole or Probation they try to get them in a half way house, if they have no place else. But if they've killed there time, unfortunately there on their own:blah:

babii_fliris526
11-06-2006, 11:00 AM
well am I able to talk to his counsler??? and he gets out in march 26 07....should I wait then to cvall the place to ask questions??? That boy better not mess up in there!!!!

nimuay
11-06-2006, 08:58 PM
You're probably a little early to be talking to his counselor, but yes, you can call and talk to him. You won't know who his PO is until about 30 days before his release (at least here in NY), and that's the other guy you'll need to talk to.

Brian Rooney
11-20-2006, 02:26 PM
I know in Virgina, they don't care...they give you a small chack and let you go but then they expect you to make it out in threal world...and we wonder why recidivism is so high.Sates spend billions of dollars to incarcerate people in prison but hardly soend anything once they are released...doesn't make sense to me especially whenover 600,ooo are released per year...makes you think about the state's priorities...

Brian

imtheshort1
11-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Yep I'm in Virginia, and my hubby was released 2 weeks ago with a check for $53 and a DOC issued khaki outfit. The guard there did tell me that they won't let you out unless someone is there to pick you up. If you don't have someone to pick you up they give you cash to catch the bus.

CMaJoR
06-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Hmm I wonder if they just place you in a HWH here in Iowa...

monet420
06-04-2007, 09:08 PM
In California they get 200.00 and send them on their way with or with out a place to stay..The F up part is when they do have a place to go and its not in the county they got busted in it take the act of god for them to be approved tp live there....

justvicki
06-04-2007, 09:57 PM
In WV once an inmate is granted parole his home plan is sent to the parole office where he will be living and it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months to be approved. The inmate will remain incarcerated until that plan has been approved, they receive no money upon release, and they only have 24 hours to report to their parole officer, therefore no Friday releases. Four years ago you had to have an approved home plan BEFORE you saw the board and left the day you paroled, but because the board turns down so many for parole, the parole offices felt they were spending too much time checking out plans for people who didn't make parole and they changed the process.

If the inmate has expired his sentence, he is released that day as he will not be on paper. They used to give those with expired sentences $200 on release, but I'm not sure if they do that any longer

Lexi74
06-07-2007, 03:46 AM
About the most help they'll get is a list of shelters and Salvation Army locations in the area they're in.

I know very little about this topic, but how could this be true in NYS? I ask only because I do know this: POs stop by houses to see the environment an inmate is being released to if they do have a home to go to. If they do that, why would they just turn them out with no place to go if they have no family or established place to go????

justvicki
06-13-2007, 09:38 PM
In CA the inmate is paroled to the county where their crime was committed. Doesn't matter whether or not they have a support system in place there. In 2005 when my ex was released his parole officer told him he wanted him to stay at a certain park during the day, because he wanted to be able to find him, and when the park closed at night he could sleep where ever, but he was to return to the park when it re-opened the next morning until he landed a job and a place to live. I was speechless when I heard that. The PO would not let him stay with me in the next county and needless to say he violated his parole, caught a new charge, and was back in jail within three weeks of his discharge. It was a nightmare and made no sense. Talk about being set up for failure.

Ross811
08-09-2007, 09:22 AM
In Florida, if you do not have someone to pick you up; the DOC will give you $100.00 (only if you haven't been receiving money in the past several months. They check your commissary history) Then they will take you to the nearest bus station. FDOC officers aren't to leave the I/M until he sees him on the bus.

kittenn0816
08-24-2007, 10:22 PM
In California they get 200.00 and send them on their way with or with out a place to stay..The F up part is when they do have a place to go and its not in the county they got busted in it take the act of god for them to be approved tp live there....

My mans last address was in one cali county, however since he has been in, his mom has passed on and his father is in a nursingffacility in yet another county. His ONLY family is in the county I live in. Does anyone think he would STILL be paroled to a county where he has NO ties whatsoever. Un the county where I am there is family, a job offer, established telephone service, his cars are registered here, and I have joint custody of his son.

Does anyone think there will be problems???? Just hypathetically

foreveramber77
08-29-2007, 06:45 PM
You would have to contact his councelor or parole officer and give them the new address. My man has been paroled only within LA county, so he has to stay there. Any other changes, ie: county, different states, have to be approved first. Thats very sad for him. i wish you guys all the best, hopefully things will turn out right for you both. Take care

kittenn0816
08-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks so much Amber...your care means everything. We have begun the process. Filling out parole plans, etc. On the parole plans we put the new address, so from here I am just tracking it until it gets assigned to an office in the parole unit, and go from there.