View Full Version : Can you transfer your Probation from one county to another?

karl143
10-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Is it possible to transfer probation from one county to another. I caught a case in San Mateo County but now live in San Francisco.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

mia_101
10-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Yes, you can. You have to follow a procedure - don't just move without getting permission or giving required notice, whatever the case is with your PO.

cadustin
10-28-2006, 12:19 AM
contact your po. if you dont have a job or family members in SF, he/she might make you come back to san mateo. if you can, get a 30 day pass to sf, and get a job there. if you have family, you should be ok even without a job.

Is it possible to transfer probation from one county to another. I caught a case in San Mateo County but now live in San Francisco.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

yeahyeah
10-31-2006, 01:29 AM
I was also wondering about this as my Fiance is planning on moving to san jaoquin county with me from Solano county and he's worried they won't approve it. We have a son together and are getting married so it shouldn't be a problem right?

cadustin
11-01-2006, 08:51 PM
you need to be married. have him give your new address as his release address. he might have to report in at the po office where he got his term, but as long as you guys are married he should be able to get a 30 day pass to transfer. i have heard that this is harder to do now days, but back when my husband transfered from san bernardino to san diego, we weren't even married and he didn't have a job but his po still did it. this will be the first time since then (17 years ago), he will have to do the transfer thing again. this time we are married though, so i cant see why they wont do it.

I was also wondering about this as my Fiance is planning on moving to san jaoquin county with me from Solano county and he's worried they won't approve it. We have a son together and are getting married so it shouldn't be a problem right?

Gryphon
11-02-2006, 11:35 AM
There's good case law to support that a Probation Officer can't restrict a probationer from moving.
They can, however, require advance permission to move (so they can set up probation supervision in the other jurisdiction.)
The exception is where the probationer has some sort of "no contact" type clause (and there's lots of law on that as well. Such clauses aren't always enforceable.)
Plenty of Probation Officers and Judges act like they get to restrict relocation more than than they have a right to.
The matter can be further complicated by defendants agreeing to probation terms that might otherwise be unconstitutional; and whether that makes an otherwise unenforceable probation term now enforceable (since the acceptance of the term might be deemed a waiver.)

robbiescott
02-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I have a loved one in Florida who wants to transfer to Ohio where I am but am certain that one can transfer after giving notice to the PO.

He's currently on his last year of sentencing since 89' and gets out in 08'.
I believe he may not even have to go through probation since he's serving out his entire sentance.

c's baby
02-14-2007, 01:09 PM
That is lucky for him.
However, California stinks when it comes to probation. Well, at least here in Orange County. When I was on probation and wanted to transfer up to San Joaquin County where I own a home. They told me they could do it but it would take about one year to complete it. I think it would have happened sooner had I pushed it. Instead I just stayed here in Orange County!

I have a loved one in Florida who wants to transfer to Ohio where I am but am certain that one can transfer after giving notice to the PO.

He's currently on his last year of sentencing since 89' and gets out in 08'.
I believe he may not even have to go through probation since he's serving out his entire sentance.

amotherspain
02-19-2007, 11:01 AM
What about transfering into Orange County. I live here in OC. I have formal probation in Shasta County and they are requsting me to be transfered since I live down here. Any problems getting into OC? Anyone know how they handel formal probation here?

c's baby
02-19-2007, 08:51 PM
I think as long as Shasta releases you, there should be no problems, especially if all of your monies are paid. All of the probation officers here aren't bad. But, I had a couple that thought they walked on water! Good luck, hope you get a good one.

cadustin
02-20-2007, 09:31 PM
OC can deny you based on a couple things, so if you are doing good, you should be fine. The only other thing is each county can only accept 5% of transfers from other counties. If you have been living in OC, and are working, and are staying out of trouble, I don't see why you would not get your transfer. good luck!

What about transfering into Orange County. I live here in OC. I have formal probation in Shasta County and they are requsting me to be transfered since I live down here. Any problems getting into OC? Anyone know how they handel formal probation here?