View Full Version : Halfway house

tcitsjustme
10-22-2006, 10:05 PM
I was just wanting to know if anyone could give me info on any halfway houses in Virginia. My b/f release date is in Nov. He was recently moved to the city jail from Deep Meadows to do a 45 day re-entry program. Now they are telling him that when he is released on his release date in Nov that he will be sent to a halfway house for up to 6 months. What exactly is a halfway house? What is supposed to be accomplished there? When I think of a halfway house I think of drugs but he doesn't do drugs and his time is not drug related.

I'm upset because His release date is only 36 days away and now they're talking about a halfway house for another 6 months. It just seems to me that is like adding time to his sentence. I was beginning to see light at the end of our tunnel and now it's further away:(

I can't seem to find any info on the web about halfway houses or even where they are (They won't tell him where he will be sent.)

dwfighterva
10-22-2006, 11:07 PM
From what I understand, halfway houses are where they have to live, but they leave and go to work each day. They are tightly monitored.

I know this news is terrible for you! It would devastate me. (((((HUGS)))))

tcitsjustme
10-23-2006, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the hug dwfighterva, I really needed it right now. Im not sure if I should be sad or mad or what. I hate this feeling of not knowing what to expect and being thrown a curve ball like this. I should be used to it by now in dealing with DOC but I'm not. It just doesn't seem like thay should be able to add to his time when he hasn't gotten into trouble or anything while he's been in there. But I guess that's the SYSTEM for you.:mad:

I wonder if they can have visits in a halfway house. He has been gone since Feb and we have had a total of 4 visits. Only one of those were at DMCC. One week after they medically cleared him they sent him to city before we could even have a visit. Now when or if we get to visit where he is now,it's back to talking through glass. And I have no idea about how visits will be when he goes to where ever they decide to send him next.

I worry how his medical care will be taken care of there also. Does this mean another 6 months before we can get anything done? Well, I better stop ranting now because the more I rant the more I think of to rant about.

He is trying to act like it's no big deal but I think it's just an act because he has been say things that he hasn't said since he went in, like "are you sure you still love me?" and " You're not going to give up on me, are you?"

O.K. I'm really going to shut up now.

tcitsjustme
10-25-2006, 08:36 AM
testin

dwfighterva
10-25-2006, 10:19 AM
LOL! New siggy? It's cute!

I hope you get some answers on this soon. I asked around and if he doesn't have a home plan, they can send him to a halfway house.

((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))) cuz you still need them

RJK3sBaby
10-26-2006, 08:37 AM
I know you are upset, but a halfway house is not all that bad. He does have to live there and they will monitor him, but he can come and go to work. They will have to be in by a certain time, so you will get to spend time with him. You can also visit him there. My best friend's man was in a halfway house, and we went to see him everyday. To me it was kind of like going over to someone's house and chillin' because we could take him food and stuff, we watched movies and all the normal things you could do at home except for doing the "grown-up" things. So just hang in there and things will be okay!

tcitsjustme
10-27-2006, 02:17 AM
I made the ticker over a month ago but could never get it to work when I tried to put it on my siggy. Since I made it, it has just been hanging out on the snugglepie site, ticking away. LOL.So yesterday I asked my daughter how to put it on ( leave it up to a kid ) she had no trouble but I have no idea how she did it.

I've been searching for info on the web and also read that they send them to a halfway house if they don't have a home plan. But the thing is, we had planned for him to stay with me. he even told me about 3 weeks ago to be expecting a call to verify that he would be staying with me. So I'm not sure what happened with that.
Thanks for the additional hugs. You're right, I still need them. I'm a very huggy kind of person.lol

RJK3sBaby.Thank you for the info about how the halfway house works. It would be really nice to spend time with him just chilln'. Just knowing i'll be able to visit at all is a relief. As far as not being able to do "grown-up" things. I can live with that, It's become second nature by now.lol. I am starting to feel alittle better about the whole situation. Not Good but Better. I guess it just needed time to sink in and give me time to accept the fact he won't be out as soon as I thought and was hoping.

Do you know if there are any halfway houses in or near Roanoke, Va? I hope they don't send him to one that is very far away.

G's Sunshine
10-27-2006, 10:22 AM
You may be referring to what the VDOC calls a Transitional residence between the prison and coming home. There is one in Roanoke called Hegira House, but I don't know much else about it.

timmyslove
11-01-2006, 09:16 AM
when did they decide he was going to be moved there, because that is okward, and night fair i think??

tcitsjustme
11-06-2006, 12:26 AM
timmyslove....They didn't tell him about this until about a month ago. ( but he says they did mention the possiblity of it earlier than that but nothing else was ever said about it until a month ago.) We thought he was going to be released in Nov because that's what he was told was his release date and that's the date I get if I look him up on the VDOC inmate status information system. They told him he has to stay at the new place for 3 to 6 months. His PO will pick him up and take him to the halfway house/ transitional residence place the day of his release. I agree it's not fair. I'm just trying to roll with the punches.(I'm going to have to change my ticker now but I don't know what to change it to because I don't know his real release date now. 3 to 6 months is a big differance to my ticker.)

timmyslove
11-06-2006, 12:52 PM
aWW, YEAH THATS NO FAIR, YOU HAVE BEEN WAITONG PATIENTLY, NOW THIS, THATS WHAT WE HAVE TO LOOK 4WARD TO AND ITS NO FAIR ATALL!!!! SORRY TO HEAR THAT GIRL!