View Full Version : Descriminated on because my husband is an inmate! FIFTH THIRD BANK

pantherpaws
08-17-2003, 11:10 AM
Hi Yall........
I`m wondering if any of you have encountered this kind of discrimination.I applied for a home equity loan at Fifth Third Bank.It was to be in my name only as I own my own house title clear and my hubby of 18 months was not on it.But fifth third said that by Michigan law he has to be named on the mortgage if he lives with me.This is some kind of Homesteaders law in Michigan.I said "well if you have to dig my husband doesn`t live with me.He is an inmate in Ohio".They consulted a senior rep and they said I had to produce a document to prove he is an inmate and doesn`nt live with me.I don`t want his name on the mortgage.He is not responsible for my debts.It would offend him because of what his first wife did sticking him with a lot of debts.I felt like fifth third is violating our privacy and the loan was based on my credit rating and income anyway.I had 3 days by law to cancel the loan and I did on day 2 because of this treatment.So the rep then asks if there is anything they can do for me and I said "Do you offer any unsecured loans?" They offered me a loan of $5,000 at 13.99 %!!The original loan before they knew my husband was an inmate was $30,000 at 6.99%.I feel discriminated against.I am pulling all my business from Fifth Third.They Stink!!::argh :fb: IS THER REALLY A HOMESTEADERS LAW OF THIS KIND IN MICH ABOUT LOANS??

toi_ama
08-17-2003, 12:11 PM
Well they said if they had proof he's an inmate and doesn't live with you, though, that they'd give you the loan?

carolK
08-17-2003, 04:22 PM
I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I hope you are able to get a mortgage in your name only at another lending place. Best of luck to you.

Carol

mrsdragoness
08-17-2003, 04:26 PM
HMMMM....I've not heard of this, but I haven't tried to get a second mortgage or remortgage my house. I think I'll call the bank tomorrow - they've been calling me about remortgaging - and ask them.....I'll let you know what they say!

It doesn't quite sound right to me.....

mrs. d

deb
08-17-2003, 10:07 PM
It doesn't sound right and none of us would want their name on the house or any property anyway cause of what the state etc.. can do.... I'd try a credit union or someone else....

Deb

DENIMBLUE
08-17-2003, 10:34 PM
I have proof of incarceration for my guy and I am his power of attorney, so I just throw those papers in people's faces when they give me SH** about it. I wouldn't put his name on anything of mine now anyways...Those people at the bank we 're just scared when you said inmate, because they probably thought you could be one of them, too...Whatever one of them is! :D Good Luck at the next place...

pantherpaws
08-18-2003, 06:52 AM
Thanks all......Fifth Third claims its a Michigan law that if someone lives in the house mortaged that they have a legal claim to it.I told them before the application that it was to be in my name solely and there was no problem.They drew up the papers with both our names on them and thats when I said "NO GO".I hope they were lying or I will be getting the same thing at every bank.I`ve never heard of a "homesteaders Law" for mortages.
And yes, they said if I produced a document that proves he is an inmate currently,they would give me the loan.I said no because I thought it would offend my hubby.I had no way of calling him at that moment.Now he says he would of sent me his OPI pay stub.:( Too late.

Retired-5
08-18-2003, 07:01 AM
if your husband's name is not on the title then HE can't get a loan....it all goes by title. we've got some pretty tough laws here in CA and my own papers are a mess. call a laywer, it cost nothing to ask a question. or call the title company. and NO, i would not do business with this bank. there are plenty of businesses that WILL do business with us!!

mrsdragoness
08-18-2003, 03:53 PM
I didn't get to call today........I ended up working instead and it was really hectic so I didn't get a moment to make the call.....I'll call tomorrow - I don't work now until midnights tomorrow night... I'll let you know what I'm told!!!

Sally

Shades278
08-18-2003, 09:37 PM
There is a law in Michigan that says if two people are married then both have to be on any paperwork. When I married my second husband he was in the middle of selling his house and moving into mine. Well the papers didn't get signed before we got married they got signed one week after we were married and because we were married at the time they signed them, everything had to be redone and my name had to be added to the papers even though I never lived in the house. It sucks and it is an inconvience but thats the law. Hope this helps.

deb
08-18-2003, 09:47 PM
It isn't wise to have our hubby's name on anything while they're in... I've learned to have everything in just my name....

Deb

pantherpaws
08-19-2003, 08:01 AM
Yes I agree Deb.I will wait till my hubby comes home hopefully by Xmas.For now,I will just have to struggle as in the past and my house looks like heck......needs siding bad.:(
PS--Sorry I couldn`t make the Mich get-together in Frankenmuth.I am layed off for this week and have no gas.I wanted to visit my hubby too:(.

mrsdragoness
08-19-2003, 04:13 PM
I called 3 banks/mortgage companies today and got the same story from all.......its a Michigan law that both spouses have to sign the mortgage...... one told me that it doesn't mean he's responsible - its just the law.

I think I'd get an answer from a lawyer before I would put my husbands name on anything. I should have known.....my husband automatically became the beneficiary on all of my state retirement funds and death benefits when we married. He had to sign off so I could list my kids in stead!

Sally

deb
08-19-2003, 04:26 PM
On life insurance, IRA's etc... you can put "see the will filed at (and list the court house)" instead of your husband's name. Then in the will you can have it put into a trust fund til your hubby gets out of prison or split up among kids if he's still in etc... or to go to him if he's out. You can do the same with checking/saving accounts etc... It keeps the state's hands off our property we work for....

Isn't there a way to get a house in just our name? This is nuts that they have to be on there...

Deb

pantherpaws
08-19-2003, 08:12 PM
I`m afraid not after you are actually married.I guess I should of bought the siding before I married him :).It`s OK. He can put it on....LOL.He may be able to!They moved his parole date from 8/2007 to 9/22/2003!!;)

Isadora
08-20-2003, 12:13 AM
I was told that under Michigan law if a man has his name on a house or property his wife automatically owns it too but not vice versa. I was told this by an attorney.

pantherpaws
08-21-2003, 10:02 AM
I was told by several banks that his name would be on the house to protect his right to domain residency.That his name is not on the morgage like a co-signer or something.Also I would have to have a will stipulating that as long as my hubby is an inmate I should have the house go to my adult sons if I die ortherwise the state of Ohio could take my house because my hubby is a ward of the state where he is incarcerated.There are so may legalities with home ownership.I need to get a will done.Meanwhile my hubby sees the parole board next month.I wanted the house to look nice when they came through.I can`t get siding right now but I`m gonna focus on the lesser expense of painting inside.The paint is falling off the outside of the house.I had it insulated....it has polka dots plugs.It looks awful..I`m gonna wait and see what happens with the parole board.I will know then what I have to do legally. Thanks everyone for advice.It helped me sort it out.(((HUGS)))

StacysWar030
08-22-2003, 06:26 AM
Good luck with everything.........hope it works out for you!!

Stacy

pantherpaws
08-24-2003, 07:05 PM
Update:
Fifth third called me and said they would still send the loan thru if I still want it.They waived me producing documents stating that my hubby is an inmate and doesn`t reside with me.I think they realized I was truly offended by this because I cancelled the loan.The house title was in my name free and clear.The loan is based on my credit and income.Maybe I made the way here for other inmate family applicants.I hope they learned that they are not going to strongarm us or we will take our business elsewhere.They are being cordial now.I should have the cash in 5-7 business days.Thats good.....they made me wait a month and I`m getting messed up financially waiting to consolidate other debts.I feel I won this one anyway!!IM GETTING SIDING ON MY HOUSE AT LAST!! :)