View Full Version : 2 For 1? New State Law Regarding Time Served? Dominguez State Jail Texas

Tracy
10-13-2006, 07:31 AM
My son is in Bexar county jail waiting transfer to State Jail. Probably the Dominquez unit. He has heard that there is a new law stating that State Jail inmates can now get 2 for 1 instead of day for day. September 1st was supposedly when that went into effect. Does anyone know if this is true? I have searched and searched and can not find out anything. He has a 180 day sentence and has been in county jail for 43 days. I would just like to be able to give him an answer. He is able to call every day but I understand that will change after he is transferred.
Thanks so much in advance for the information.

Have a blessed day.
JoshiesMom

key jo
10-13-2006, 03:08 PM
I don't think there was a law changing State Jail time status in this last session. Sorry.

Conspicuous
10-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Most state and counties do get 2 for 1! To find out call the jail or ask his lawyer!

DGamgirl
10-14-2006, 03:12 PM
State jail is day for day. Sorry wished I had better news. My husband has been in State Jail custody up until this past week! My husbands facility, Lindsey allowed for a 5 minute call every 30 days however it was a privilege! They have to fill out their I60's in order for it to happen. Dependent on the inmate and his or her attitude additional calls are allowed but it's the discretion of the guards on staff!

Tracy
10-16-2006, 06:01 AM
Thanks so much for the information. I think I have accepted there is only day for day. I was able to speak with my son yesterday and he is ready to move. He is so bored in Bexar county. I just hope the move will be good and he will be treated as well as can be expected at Dominquez. I live a good distance awau so I will call to check on visitation rules. I found the orientation handbook and there is alot of good information there. I just don't know how he will be classified as far as contact visits. It is his first offence and is a non violent one. Maybe I will get to have contact visits. Thank you so much for your answers. It is hard finding somewhere to go for support and I have learned alot from this websight.

BrandNewGirl
10-16-2006, 07:06 AM
DGamgirl is correct-state jail is day for day. Tell your son not to listen to all the rumors--they run rampant in jails and prisons.

Be prepared for him to be leaving county fairly soon..it's usually right around 45 days when they move them out.

Stick here and we'll help you through it!
Nance

Tracy
10-16-2006, 07:16 AM
Thanks Nance....He has said for the last 10 days that he is "paper ready". I am learning all of these new terms. He was sentenced on the 5th of this month and has been in county for 46 days today. He told me last night that they only show 33 days but we will wait until he transfers to find out if they will add his days served properly. I know even a few days on a 6 month sentence would be rough on him if they didn't count them. He is ready to go. The intake orientation handbook...it was about 112 pages long...was alot of really good information but I think it pertained to both prisons and state jails so I am not sure which information would be correct for my son. I am not clear about visitation however, If he classifies low enough, does that mean he will not have to wait the 90 days before he can have contact visitation? That part was pretty unclear for state jail. We try to find answers to all of his questions and know that most of what he hears are rumors, sadly. This is a wonderful place to find information...I so appreciate all the help. It helps to ease my mind with the more information I can find out and know what to expect for him.

Everyone take care.
JoshiesMom

Kay
10-19-2006, 05:53 PM
My son was always happier to get where he was going. County is rough almost any place you hear about. Unless he goes to a trustee camp it will probably be 90 days before he is allowed contact visits and you are correct that the phone calls will stop. Good Luck! Katy

DGamgirl
10-19-2006, 06:13 PM
If he is going to a State Jail, check that facility because again where my husband went, Lindsey we didn't have ANY waiting period for contact visits and THAT in itself was a blessing. After being in county for the 44 days or however long it was....seeing him through the glass SUCKED. There is no skin to skin contact and for me personally, I hated it. Now I'm back to the no contact as he was transferred to a TDCJ facility. I called and asked thinking I might could get lucky but NOOOOOOOOOOOoo. I told the officer, he's already been in a State facility over 90 days does that make a difference and his response was "no maam, he has to be in TDCJ custody for a minimum of 90 days". Again, check where he's going, it may be different. Good luck.

Tracy
10-20-2006, 01:42 PM
He will be in State Jail so maybe he will make "Trustee" status. I sure hope so. I don't know how they classify them or what guidelines they use, but he is in for non violent, first offense, 180 day sentence. I guess we just won't know until he gets through the intake process. I have had to cut him back to once every other day calling from County and it just breaks my heart because I know that we won't be able to talk at all after he catches "chain", but I just couldn't afford the every day. I know I should not complain as there are so many loved ones on here that can't hear their peoples voice at all. So I'm sorry if that was uncalled for. Sounds a little selfish of me, doesn't it? Wow...well anyway, thank you so much for the information and words of encouragement. Everyone have a good day as it will be one more day closer.

T.