View Full Version : formyson - Introducing Myself

formyson
10-09-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure if this is the proper way to do it. My adult son who has been in several county detention centers for almost a year due to a felony DUI charge is now is Central Mississippi Correctional Facility. I followed an internet search here. He has already served almost 10 months, but he was court-ordered to A&D training. Because of paperwork snafus, he has only been in the MDOC system for a few weeks. Will he be retained past his sentencing, which was for a year, less work performed and good behavior time because he was lost? His release date, about a month ago, once I called and called and called, and nobody could find him, is supposed to be October 31. However, on the website, there is no release charge. He has a second charge pending in another county. The second charge is blank because he has not been to court on that. He was November to March in detention before he went to court for the first charge, being held in Raymond; then they released him to the Jackson Detention Center. All that time, MDOC had no record of him. He is bipolar and he has had no medication in over a week. He saw a psychiatrist who is affiliated with the VA and he gave him the name of his psychiatrist there, but he cut all his meds except Lithium, and he cut the dosage on that, but he has not even had that. How sick will he be? Will he have any permanent damage? I have read the postings and know that there are several medical people reading?

PTO-29412
10-09-2006, 08:15 PM
If he was ordered to attend A&D then he can be held past his release date to ensure he completes that program.

As for the psychiatric meds, if a psychiatrist has seen him I am sure he will have no permenant damamge or be sick - as they are more than likely regulating him.

I would suggest calling MDOC and asking for the Inmate Records department. They can tell you his release date - and any other time information you will need.

As far as other charges being blank or pending charges - it is up to the county to forward that information in.

Hope this helps some, welcome to PTO,

Mrs.Glamma
10-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Formyson, welcome to PTO and the MS forum. I am sorry you have so much worry to deal with, but there is a lot of support and information here. Prescriptions are by mail from what we recently learned so he should have it soon if it has been a week already.
We are all here to help in anyway we can.
dam311

formyson
10-09-2006, 10:07 PM
I have made numerous calls on his behalf to MDOC, who had no record of him or where he was until a few weeks ago, when his paperwork was finally processed to the computer. They gave me a verbal release date of 10/31/06, pending second charges, I presume. The psychiatrist he saw only reviewed his meds, did no bloodwork, and, apparently, took him off of all meds, although he did, presumably, order a half-dosage of his Lithium. He says he feels okay, but is worried about long-term affects. Also, while he has frequently asked about his A&D classes, he wasn't allowed to attend any while he was in detention in Raymond because he was an MDOC prisoner which they were just housing. Same thing when he was shuffled to the Jackson Detention Center. He was allowed to attend some outside A&D meetings sponsored from outside services, which his Major said would count. Because he is finally being classified by MDOC, after 10 months, and his release date should be 10/31, and he's still in classification, again, what does that mean?

txsfmhstn
10-09-2006, 10:12 PM
:) Hello and welcome to PTO :)

PTO-29412
10-09-2006, 10:40 PM
It could mean 1000 different things - If the date for release is his tenative then they can hold him - however that cannot hold him past his MAXIMUM date.

Stay on them - call case workers, classification, Warden's, Superintendent's - and eventually you will get answers.

GOOD LUCK

LeaAnn
10-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Welcome to PTO!

jessnkat
10-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Welcome to PTO and the Mississippi Forum!! You'll find lots of support, advice, and friendships here - glad to have you!

neworleans85
10-11-2006, 11:01 AM
welcome to PTO! we all understand some of your frustration with this system, that's what we're here for- to help each other in these times. i'm not familiar with what your son is going through (release date unknown, A&D, etc) but i'm sure you'll find some more knowledgeable advice soon. i'll keep yall in my prayers! look forward to seeing you around the forums!

KarrieMI
10-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi and Welcome to the PTO Family

KarrieMI

formyson
10-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks to all of you. I have heard nothing from him since Sunday. I should have. Without his meds, I don't know what might have happened. Who can I talk to? He had no caseworker assigned. Is there a chaplain, or anyone?

PTO-29412
10-12-2006, 09:03 PM
You can call CMCF and ask for the Inmate Locator. They can tell you if he has been moved to a new unit or not.

If you are worried enough - ask to speak to the Watch Commander - and tell him that you haven't heard from your son - and know that he has medical problems - and you are worried about him.

Do not get into details - because He doesn't want to hear them - however give him a basic overview and he may can help.

Mrs.Glamma
10-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks to all of you. I have heard nothing from him since Sunday. I should have. Without his meds, I don't know what might have happened. Who can I talk to? He had no caseworker assigned. Is there a chaplain, or anyone?

I know firsthand how hard it is not to worry when your loved one has medical concerns and is out of touch even a day longer than anticipated.

Lots of things could be the reason, so try not to assume right off it is his health. They may have had a shakedown, be on lockdown, phones could be out.

HOWEVER, the light just came on....If memory serves correctly, I think when my Sweetie was in R&C, he could only call out on weekends, so give it until Monday.

This is the number to the facility. Ask for the chaplain in your son's unit, or ask to be connected to his caseworker, explaining you do not have the name. (601) 932-2880

Take care of you
D

PTO-29412
10-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Yes DAM you are right - they can only call on Saturdays and Sundays when you are in R&C - I completly forgot about that!

Mrs.Glamma
10-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Yes DAM you are right - they can only call on Saturdays and Sundays when you are in R&C - I completly forgot about that!

:dance: woo hoooo the brain is still in gear!! woopee! :dance: