View Full Version : Need info on Kentucky State Penitentiary (KSP) in Eddyville

LifewBuzz
10-05-2006, 11:19 AM
I live in Ky. My man is in California. He want to know a little about the happenings in eddyville pen. Is there smoking. How is life do they have programs. Prison conditions. Visiting. Anyone with a man in this prison please get with me so i can give him some info first hand.

rosedealer
10-05-2006, 11:32 AM
there is one that talks on here nightly that has a man in the eddyville prison and at this time she is visiting her man but her name is waitn4him. she will be glad to talk to you about the eddyville pen.

WaitN4Him
10-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Well although it is Kentucky's only max security prison I would have to say it's one of the best. But everyone has their own opinions. My man has done really well here and he likes it much better then the other prisons he has been to. He even said his time is going by fairly fast for him too.

Yes, there is smoking and they allow them to smoke in the cells. The have single man cells there so no cellie's. That's a big plus. One thing that is a little different is that the prison was built in the 1800's and instead of having 4 walls in their cells, the front is open and has bars. Also the parking isn't the best for visit either. But they are slowly improving that.

Yes, they do offer a lot of programs. You should check out the forum that has all the prison information. One thing that is very important about Eddyville is that only good things come with good behavior. All prisons are like but Eddyville means it.

Visits are nice there from what I can tell. I have only had secure visits but I can tell that they aren't too bad. The secure visits are horrible though. But hopefully you wont have to deal with that. Eddyville is very strict about dress code and being on time for check in. From my understanding you are allowed to hold their hand. I believe there is only one other prison in the state that allows touching in visit. However, the brief kiss and hug is enforced.

If you have any more questions ask away...

WaitN4Him
10-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Oh by the way.... Welcome to PTO

babygirl350
10-07-2006, 11:41 PM
My hubby spent many years at KSP as well, so if you have any specific questions, this is the place to ask.

Although it is a Maximum Security prison and many inmates have heard horror stories about the place, compared to other maximum security prisons I have been to, it is totally different.

Welcome to the Kentucky forum and I want to extend an invitation to come into the Bluegrass Cafe, the Kentucky chat room which is in this forum.

ren231
10-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi. My boyfriend is currently in Bell County and just miserable. He should have been transferred long ago to a Half Way, but they are reluctant to do so with any inmate. He has less than a year before parole and is classified community custody. His case worker has given him the option of KSP outside detail. I have been unable to find any information. He was told there are more privileges. I know they live in houses outside the fence. He seems to think the visits are more casual and that I could bring him things like groceries. Can anyone help?

rosedealer
10-10-2008, 09:26 PM
my man chainsaw has a friend that works the outside detail and just loves it. they lives outside the prison three to a bedroom that i know of if i remember it right. i think they even do their own cooking but not totally sure about that. i will ask chainsaw again to be sure. but i will not be able to return a more detailed response for a couple of days.

ren231
10-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks, I am sure he will appreciate any info I can give him.

thats about it
12-18-2010, 05:06 PM
I live in Ky. My man is in California. He want to know a little about the happenings in eddyville pen. Is there smoking. How is life do they have programs. Prison conditions. Visiting. Anyone with a man in this prison please get with me so i can give him some info first hand.

thanks :thumbsup: I don't have a man in KSP, but I know some ppl there. It is the best place in the entire state to serve time. There isn't any smoking in the facilities that I am aware of, but they can smoke on the yard or used to be able to. I used to do an Inmate Ministry down there and it is the best prison in the state. They offer a lot of programs, and if he is serious about reforming that is a good place to go. Also, they have a hospital right there on the grounds and the physician is local and well known by everyone there--medical attention is good at KSP. The best thing about KSP is that it is one man cells only--so he doesn't have to worry about a bad roommate. Also, the guards are mostly local and they are courteous to both prisoners and loved ones. The food there isn't great by our standards, but it isn't that bad. They also offer good places to work there and there are several activities. They have a gym which is open to the General Population inmates. It is nice for working out or even playing basketball. Btw, all their games are played at home :) since inmates don't play away games. (just joking on that one with you) Seriously, if I had to spend time in a prison, I would choose KSP. The Kentucky Department of corrections has a lot of info on their website about KSP and all the other prisons in Kentucky. Green River Correctional Complex is probably the second best prison in this state, but it is a two man cell and I don't care for that situation. You can call KSP with any questions and they are very nice and informative about your concerns. Good luck!

patchouli
12-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Luther Luckett, Little Sandy, and Green River all still allow inmates to smoke too. :thumbsup: As for the food, if its Aramark, it sucks. Its watered down and its all chicken or soy (no real meat) and the servings are skimpy (intentionally).

__*RaiLynn*__
12-19-2010, 03:07 PM
My bf is at KSP. I would disagree about the medical attention. I have heard several bad stories about medical care, but i guess I'm biased since that is my field. Also, they are allowed to smoke in their cells as well, just not during visit. I have had a positive experience with all of the guards there. They are always very friendly and remember me every time I come--asking me how school is going/how the weather is in WI/etc etc lol. The food isn't great from what my bf tells me...but I'm not surprised. The visits are way more relaxed than I had expected. I think the warden does his best to keep the place safe and under control...overall I think the facility is run very well..

RedsMom
09-06-2014, 09:25 AM
my son is there he likes it best of all he has been to ,single cells and the visits are pretty good you can bring $20.00 per person and visits are long 7:30 till 3 if i remember right it is hard becuz i am in a wheelchair and use the elevator which is sometimes a long wait for a guard to come get me but overall i have never had a bad experiance tere hope this helps