View Full Version : What age is considered an adult in MI?

MicheleCJr
10-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Ok, I need a little help here and I am going to try to make this short....LOL. My son was caught shop lifting almost two years ago...before he did any time. I received a call from the store, that he was being detained at, asking if he was 17 years old. I confirmed that he was and I was told ok that is all that they needed. I called the store back and was told that they couldn't talk to me about what was going on because my son was an adult and it was againest the law for them to speak to me. I could understand that but now I have an attorney trying to get money out of me for that incident. When all of this had happened I paid the fine that they said "I" owed but since it got there after the 20 days then now want "me" to pay $275 more. They told me that since this was a civil suit that I owe the money since I am his gaurdian <sp?> They are contacting me after almost two years. Said I was responsible because he is considered a minor for civil matters but an adult for criminal matters. Any help out there?? In my opinion I nor he owes them a flipping dime since I paid the fine but it was a little late. Oh I forgot to mention that the Attorney is not in Michigan and the group of them work for a big corporation.....I don't think that they know MI laws I think they are trying to bully me instead.

Be Blessed

mabear
10-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Try looking here.

http://courtofappeals.mijud.net/rules/documents/1Chapter2CivilProcedure.pdf

MicheleCJr
10-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks MABEAR. This whole thing is a bit confusing to me. I even looked on line at the law library which states that a person under the age of 18 an adult is responsible for. The law states that we are to have "control" but then again the deputy told my son and myself that since he was 17 I could not make him come home, because he was an adult, but I also could not lock him out....What kind of *$^& is that?

Have a blessed evening.

Icemisstress
10-04-2006, 05:40 PM
but now I have an attorney trying to get money out of me for that incident. When all of this had happened I paid the fine that they said "I" owed but since it got there after the 20 days then now want "me" to pay $275 more. They told me that since this was a civil suit that I owe the money since I am his guardian <sp?> Oh I forgot to mention that the Attorney is not in Michigan and the group of them work for a big corporation.....I don't think that they know MI laws I think they are trying to bully me instead.

Be Blessed

Hi Michele,

Have you or your son ever been served with a summons and complaint for a civil suit? Who is the law firm that is attempting to collect this "fine"? The reason I ask is there are a few "law firms" out there that are not really law firms but collection agencies that claim that they hold the judgment and charge you a fee in addition to what you have already paid. It sounds fishy to me.

MicheleCJr
10-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Hi Michele,

Have you or your son ever been served with a summons and complaint for a civil suit? Who is the law firm that is attempting to collect this "fine"? The reason I ask is there are a few "law firms" out there that are not really law firms but collection agencies that claim that they hold the judgment and charge you a fee in addition to what you have already paid. It sounds fishy to me.

I/we have not been served. I had paid the "fine" two years ago when this all came about. Since I paid the "fine" they say that I setteled out of court. But since they received my check 15 or so days late they say I owe them more money. I can't remember the firms name, I have their letter somewhere around here, but I did call them. I can't speak to the person who wrote the letter I always have to speak with whoever answers the phone. OK so I got off my butt and found the letter. The heading is from Palmer, Reifler...P.A. and there is no physical address on it...just a p.o. box. It signed with a stamp and under the signature it states "The Firm". Crap is this a scary movie or what?? LOL. And again..does this ever end?? Also, I might add that the supposed item was about $6 in value.

Icemisstress
10-04-2006, 05:57 PM
I/we have not been served. I had paid the "fine" two years ago when this all came about. Since I paid the "fine" they say that I settled out of court. But since they received my check 15 or so days late they say I owe them more money. I can't remember the firms name, I have their letter somewhere around here, but I did call them. I can't speak to the person who wrote the letter I always have to speak with whoever answers the phone. OK so I got off my butt and found the letter. The heading is from Palmer, Reifler...P.A. and there is no physical address on it...just a p.o. box. It signed with a stamp and under the signature it states "The Firm". Crap is this a scary movie or what?? LOL. And again..does this ever end??

Yep, a collection agency, just as I thought. I googled the name and here is their website http://www.civilrecoverylaw.com/Main/. When did you get this letter? If it has been within the last 30 days, write a dispute letter and demand verification of the amount they are claiming you owe. It seems to me that they would have to sue you first in order to collect their fee (I am assuming they are attempting to collect their attorney fees).

Icemisstress
10-04-2006, 06:02 PM
The Law Offices of Palmer, Reifler & Associates, P.A.

Address: Suite 820
1900 Summit Tower Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32810-5925

Found this information as well.

http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=241555

MicheleCJr
10-04-2006, 06:02 PM
I wonder if I have ever said "I LOVE PTO MEMBERS" Thanks Ice....I can't beleive that I didn't think of that but then again sometimes, with everything that is going on and has went on, I don't think logically.

Icemisstress
10-04-2006, 06:08 PM
No problem Michele, this is what I love to do that is why I became a paralegal in the first place.

Icemisstress
10-04-2006, 06:13 PM
P.S. if they still bother you after this, let me know, my former employers sue debt collectors who violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act I will give you the contact info if needed. Oh, send your dispute letter certified mail return receipt requested and make sure you keep copies of everything. If they start to call you, keep track of the names and times and what was said. Just remember I am not an attorney I am a paralegal and someone who has dealt with this before.

MicheleCJr
10-04-2006, 06:23 PM
BTW Ice....how is everything going at your place?