View Full Version : Limit on photos mailed to Federal Inmates?

Caddo
10-01-2006, 07:49 PM
My son mailed me 3 photos of himself and his friends in his prison bible study class and asked me to have a certain number of copies made so he could give them out. Now I have about 20 photos to mail back to him and I'm wondering if there is a limit on how many photos can be sent at one time. I don't want them to be returned. Does any one out there know about this? Thanks!

angelica916
10-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Yes, they are allowed 25 pictures in one envelope. If your sending more I usually space them a few days apart.

ctmom
10-01-2006, 09:16 PM
That's how it works for my son at camp, too.

Mrs.W
10-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Yes, 25 pictures at a time. If you send 26, the will send them ALL back.
Mrs.W

SusanT
10-02-2006, 02:37 PM
I think since these are prison photos that have been copied, the mail room is going to consider them all a gift and send them all back.

Zelda50
10-03-2006, 10:12 AM
I think you will not be allowed to send him photos that include pictures of other inmates also. That's against their rules and they'll probably send them back. I once sent a holiday card out to a friend in another federal prison, with a prison photo of our family on it. The BOP returned it undelivered, saying it was against the rules to send a photo of another inmate. Z.

2nice
10-03-2006, 06:42 PM
I have sent copies of my man and his 'friends' back to my man, and they got back in with no problems. I have even made copies for one of his friend and sent them back to my man for him to give back to his friend... with no problems.

Just stick to the 25 limit rule and you should be okay. I guess it depends on the prison mail room, and the particular staff who are on rota for that quarter.

kintml2u
10-09-2006, 06:18 PM
We have never had problems with this. However...I always split the pictures up, it seems like less of a risk of the envelope becoming damaged in transit.

Daisy1313
10-13-2006, 09:16 AM
I send more then 25 pictures all the time. I take pictures of everything but I could have just gotten lucky too. I also though- send the pictures directly from Kodak or shutterfly or one of those type places.

Sandies
03-22-2007, 09:13 PM
My penpal is in KY, they are allowed 25 pictures per envelope. I did send 2 envelops with 25 pictures in each, no problem :)

natnatgirl
09-08-2007, 05:25 PM
I have sent him his copies back with no problems.

Astarflyr
09-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Really, it may slip through the mailroom. But SUSANT is right, they will be considered a gift and not delivered. You are not allowed to send anyone pictures of another inmate to the inside. You can get your picture taken with other inmates and send them out (no gang signs, they look for that).

Also the rule is 25 pictures received A DAY. So if you send 2 25 picture envelopes, space them out several days so they don't get there on the same day. If they get there on the same day, the inmate may get one envelope or NONE (yeah, they might throw them all away).

Remember you are dealing with the BOP here, not a normal rational organization.

Mark H

Eia
09-09-2007, 04:39 PM
I have sent over 20 copies in one envelope on a few occasions and he always gets them. :-)

Eia
09-09-2007, 04:42 PM
I think you will not be allowed to send him photos that include pictures of other inmates also. That's against their rules and they'll probably send them back. I once sent a holiday card out to a friend in another federal prison, with a prison photo of our family on it. The BOP returned it undelivered, saying it was against the rules to send a photo of another inmate. Z.

...Or perhaps it was because the friend was in another prison..Who knows what the frequent, ever changing mind of the great 'BOP' will do next?...

Butturfly
09-11-2007, 01:31 PM
I hate to say it depends on the mood the Mailroom is on a particular day.
I have sent back in pix that were sent home of "groups' of inmates.
I usually put a note in it stating "here are your pix back."
I know they don't like when you send other inmate pix in from other facilities but knowing they are from that facility and you are returning them MAY allow them in.
As others have stated - You never know what the "great" BOP will decide is acceptable from one day to the next.

inkedchick
09-11-2007, 10:12 PM
I make copies of their photos and mail them copies all the time, usually several guys are in the photos and they want to send copies to their families..i have never had them returned..some guys got transfered last year and i have mailed them copies of their own photos from when they were at the former unit too, so i don't know, never had the problem.

RedNeck73
09-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Honestly its all up the whoever opens the mail that day. Some will let anything through and others won't let the simplest of things through for whatever reason, sometimes none at all. All you can do is send it and see what happens. I've sent him 25-27 pictures at a time and he's never had a problem getting them.

The ONLY thing I know they won't let through is any sort of Hand Sign, Like Peace or I Love You....NO HAND SIGN of any sort is allowed, due to gang relations....etc.

kayleni
09-30-2007, 08:04 PM
they dont have a problem with many fliks going in just send them everyday it should be fine...as for wifes and girlfriends,, be careful of making copies to your men cause sometimes they can say they want copies for friends when sometimes they give them to other penpals...ask questions and check websites make sure they dont advertise them selves... i should know from past experience......

MNSunShine
12-12-2007, 10:04 AM
One thing you may want to also try just incase is to inclose like a sticky note on the actual picture stating that it's "Incert name" in the picture... so like if it's your son say these are pictures of this inmate... it's kind of confusing and sounds really stupid but when my guy was trying to get pictures sent to him of him and his son on visits they kept sending them back.. so finally we put a note on the picture stating that it was of him and his son and they went through... *Shrug* Just an idea

sweetjosesgurl
12-14-2007, 05:39 AM
Just last week I made up like 18 photos of my friend and his inmate buddies and sent them all back with no problem.. I never got them back or anything. He never said he didnt get them.... He is in F.C.I med prison. I dont know. do u think all places are different when it comes to that...?

Mrs. SR Vasquez
01-13-2008, 05:58 AM
I was told by USP Lewisburg that there was a 12 pic limit...I guess it depends on the level and the facility.

debbie1265
01-17-2008, 12:55 PM
My S.O. sent me 6 different pictures and some of them had groups of up to 20 inmates. I made copies for everyone in the pictures and sent them - 20 per envelope - all mailed the same day. They got there fine.:p

mommaof5
01-17-2008, 02:43 PM
It depends on the facility. I can only send in 5 at a time... and they have a limit of 20 where my mom is. Its tough, but we make it work.