View Full Version : Please Help If You Can Chino Prison

SASSY
08-14-2003, 11:45 PM
HI IM KNEW AT THIS MY UNCLE WAS SENT TO CHINO PRISON. IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME ABOUT THAT PLACE THAT WOULD BE GREAT? HE WANT TALK TO HIS FAMILY. SO I WANT TO FIND OUT AS MUCH AS I CAN, PLEASE HELP

MsClever
08-15-2003, 07:03 PM
Annette

What is it that you want to know about Chino prison specifically?

SASSY
08-15-2003, 09:58 PM
WELL HOW BAD IS IT REALLY? I KNOW THAT ITS A PRISON IT CANT BE GOOD , BUT IVE HEARD SOME BAD THING ABOUT CHINO PRISON. MY UNCLE IS 47 AND HES GOING TO SERVE 25 YEARS TO LIFE IN THERE. DO YOU THINK HE'LL MAKE IT OUT OF THERE? WHERE IS IT IN CALIFORNA? DO YOU KNOW THE VISITING RULES THERE? WHAT CAN I SEND HIM? I DONT EVER KNOW IF HE'LL TALK TO ME . HE DOESNT WANT HIS FAMLIY TO SEE HIM IN THERE.WHAT CAN I SAY TO HIM TO LET HIM KNOW THAT WE STILL LOVE HIM NOMATTER WHERE HES AT? IF YOU CAN HELP ME IN ANYWAY THAT WOULD BE REALLY GREAT!!!! THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

Barbara
08-15-2003, 10:02 PM
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14333

This link is to a map of California Prisons, Chino is in Southern Cal. Where are you and I can tell you how close you are to there? Just write him I am sure he will need lots of support from his loved ones. Love Barbara

KTC
08-15-2003, 11:37 PM
SASSY i live like 30 mins from chino. its in southern california, san bernardino county. i know its not the best prison, but dont seem like the worst either. i didnt know they sent lifers there! they have a level 4????? anywayz, they allow contact visits for most unless there in a certain yard for something very bad or thier a threat, then it behind glass. it jas little houses in front of it, so cute, they ay thier peoples houese, but i think thier the family visiting house. whos gona buy a home on prison property ya know?! dur! ha uh, visiting is hmm let me try to remember, i think thurs, fri,, sat,, sun depending where there at.you can send as many letters as u want, pictures, its like 10 at a time i think and request your uncle to send u a list to what u can send him, what he needs, etc. there was a stabbing of a man thier recently, he told the guards but by the time they got him to the hospital it was to late, but that happeneds in every prison im sure. and yes as long as everything goes smooth he should make it out, just pray and shw him your love, let him know he still has people who care, alot dont and they dont care about thier lifes, but remind him he has u and family and you will be waiting for him when he get home., anything else jus ask, ktc

SASSY
08-15-2003, 11:57 PM
ROCKSTAR,
THANKS ALOT FOR THE INFORMATION ABOUT CHINO PRISON . HOW WOULD I GET HIS PRISON ID NUMBER DO YOU KNOW? HE WANT TELL US .THANKS AGAIN!!!
SASSY

MsClever
08-16-2003, 12:32 AM
Dear Annette :

You will need Your uncles date of birth and full name. You can call the state of callifornia prison locater at
(916) 445-6713. You will also be able to get his mailing address from them. Here is a link to the CDC home page.. you might find some intersting information there. http://www.corr.ca.gov/default.asp

Chino is not a level 4 facility. It is a receiving center, and a level 1. Chances are your uncle will not stay there for a long period of time, he will certainly not do his full sentence there. A receiving center is a place where they are classified, and assessed. California works on a points system, based on education, previoius crimes, and nature of current crime, and even marital and dependant status.

Once he is classified, he will have a level, generally medium custody, level 3. Just because he received a 25 to life sentence, doesnt necessarily make him a level 4 inmate or a maximum security inmate. There are many factors that determine custody status. You will have to wait and see how he is classified.

My experience is that most inmates are moved around on a regular basis, the longest stay I have experienced at one institution is 4 years. Yards change, people change, and institutional needs change. Its all relative.

You can be a positive support to your uncle by writing to him on a regular basis for now. If he is in receiving visit will most likely be behind glass, over a phone for 1 to 2 hours.

You must be an approved visitor in the state of california, or you wont get in. You can download the visitors application from the web site link I provided you. The process takes up to 4 weeks, but I have seen it happen in 10 days. Your uncle will be notified, and it is up to him to advise you that you are approved.

Dont panic, not now. Be strong, be supportive, and allow your uncle the time he needs to adjust. I went through the same thing with my brother 17 years ago. His emotions were all over the checker board and it took time for him to accept the road that was laid before him. Just write him for today, and learn all you can about the prison system. Do not be discouraged if he doesnt reply to your letters, just keep them going out to him.

If you have any other questions let me know. Good luck to you and your family.

MsClever
08-16-2003, 12:57 AM
One more thing Annette:

While there is violence in prison, especially in california, do not believe all that you hear . Do not buy into the drama of the uneducated.

Take it upon yourself to seek out the truth, and reality of things. Knowledge is power, aquire the knowledge, and you will have the truth.

Honestly!... out of near 200,000 inmates in the state of california how many deaths do we actually read about in the local papers or see on the news each night that pertain to inmate violence? Prison isnt romper room, but its not a place of mass daily violence and killings either.

With time this will all make sense to you, and time is what we all have.

Apehanger
08-17-2003, 12:30 AM
God Bless you Mscleaver.
A voice of both experience and sanity.
i love ya
Jim

SASSY
08-17-2003, 01:23 AM
MSCLEVER
I JUST WANT TO THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR INFORMATION ABOUT CHINO PRISON . AND THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ON MY UNCLE, ILL KEEP TRYING. I JUST WANT HIM TO KNOW WE LOVE HIM. HOW WELL I KNOW IF HE GETS TRANSFER TO A DIFFERENT PRISON? ESPECIAL IF HE STILL ISNT TALKING TO US. CAN HE CALL US ? WOULD I NEED TO SEND A CALLING CARD OR SOMETHING? WHAT ARE THEY USUALLY ALOUD TO RECIEVE IN THERE? THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!

SASSY

PIMAKAT
08-17-2003, 10:53 AM
Hello Sassy...once you get his CDC # you can send in paper, stamps and pencils in a large envelope - the max of each depends on which yard he's in. NO calling cards, but he can make collect calls providing he's not in Palm Hall (AdSeg) - and if he's there, PM me! Also, once you have his CDC # you can put funds (postal money order) on his books so he can 'shop' through the commissary. As for anything else (food, cosmetics, clothing) you cannot send quarterly packages until your uncle goes 'mainline' AND he sends you package slip/mailing form. Hope this helps! :)

MsClever
08-17-2003, 01:40 PM
Hi Annette:

Im glad that I could offer you some things to think about. Your question regarding what can you send your uncle? Karen mentioned a few things, that inmates are allowed to have. However.. Keep in mind that your uncle is in receiving. Every institution is different as to policy for what an inmate can receive via mail while in receiving. Call Chino directly. You will want to speak to someone in what is called R and R...which in english is receiving and release.

Remember that new inmates are limited as to activities and privledges, again part of the overall assessment process. In time, your uncle will have all things available to him.

Inmates are allowed to make phone calls, but most institutions require that the inmate have a job inside the facility, or are in a vocation (school) to have this privledge. When an inmate is in receiving, they generaly do not have this privledge. Calls are made collect only, and generally an inmate must sign up at a certain time to place a call home. The institution limits these calls to one per day. They are for a duration of 15 minutes each. Again I urge you to contact the institution directly and find out their standards for the same.

Quarterly packages can be sent into an inmate, based on institutional guidelines for the same. This isnt something that you need to concern yourself with at this point. There will be plenty of time for those in the future, and once your uncle settles in and learns his program, I have no doubt he will request this from you. Its like christmas 4 times a year for them! =0) Trust me when I tell you, your uncle has everything he needs at this point.

If you are insistant on sending him something, I would suggest books. You may order them from Amazon or Barnes and Noble. They must be shipped directly from them. You may not send them into your uncle yourself. They must be paperback. You will want to know how many he may have at a time, R and R should be able to provide you with this information.

Just for the record, when Karen said the word "main line" that is prison slang for general population. Your uncle will eventually be assisgned to a yard and placed in general population, or mailine.

Keep focused on writing to your uncle, sending him words of encouragement, and support., silly cards ect. Those letters will become treasures to him. Again, there will be a period of adjustment for all.. try to walk into this slowly, allowing your uncle the time he needs, and allowing yourself the time to understand all that has transpired. This isnt easy on either side of the wall. Patiences is a must. Respect your uncle's choices for today, I promise you, they will change in time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good Luck !

Unfortunately, there is no way for you to know if your uncle is transfered to another facility, unless he is corresponding with you and advises you of the same. It is not the institutions responsibility to advise the family of any pending transfers, for many reasons, especially security. If you want to call the inmate locator on a regular basis, they can provide you with that information should you feel he is transfered, for one reason or another.

MsClever
08-17-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi Jim !

Thanks for the nice words and your support. After all thats what its all about. However, there may be a few that would argue your sanity comment, with reference to me..LOL ! =0)

Be Well, Ill see you on the flip side im sure !

SASSY
08-17-2003, 05:39 PM
MSCLEVER AND PIMAKAT
I JUST WANT TO TAKE A MOMENT TO SAY THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS PEOPLE LIKE YOU. FOR YOUR NICE WORDS AND THE INFORATION YOU'VE GIVING ME. AND TAKING THE TIME OUT OF YOUR LIFES.

SASSY