View Full Version : NH Parole questions

armybrat
09-22-2006, 02:04 AM
I find it odd that no one has posted questions here yet. Is this one new to the forum?

Crone
09-25-2006, 12:52 PM
I find it odd that no one has posted questions here yet. Is this one new to the forum?

Yes, this is a new forum. I suspect it will be filling up with questions (and answers) soon!

xxmelissaxx
10-24-2006, 03:56 PM
heres a question, how and when does an inmate find out when they are eligable?

kristinm
10-24-2006, 04:18 PM
when they complete the lower number of there sentence they are eligable to go in front of the parole board--- if they get a 1 1/2 to 5-after they serve the 1 1/2 they can go in front of the parole board-- just because he is eligable does not mean they will let him out.Its all up the the P/B

xxmelissaxx
10-26-2006, 05:11 PM
do u think doin all the programs avalible might help, are we allowed to speak at the parole hearings?

NHDOCPIO
10-27-2006, 03:03 PM
In answer to a few questions.

1. For the most part parole hearings are held about two months prior to the inmate's parole eligibility date. The parole board makes a decision immediately following the hearing as to whether someone has been approved or not. Most parole hearings are very brief because the members of the Parole Board have already received a copy of the inmate's file a few weeks earlier, which gives them a chance to review the contents. Majority rules. It's not based on an unanimous vote.

2. Inmates are informed of their parole hearing a few weeks before it occurs except in the case of a parole revocation hearing. They may be informed in less time than that. The parole revocation hearing is the hearing held after they've been sent back to prison on a parole violation.

3. The public is allowed to attend and make statements but you need to contact the Parole Board in advance of the hearing and let them know who is coming. This can be done by calling 603-271-2569 or in writing to John Eckert, Executive Assistant, NH Adult Parole Board, NH State Prison, 281 No State St., Concord, NH 03301.

lanello
02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
If someone is sentenced 10 1/2 monthes when will they qualify for parole? Should a lawyer be helping with this procedure?

pmitch10
03-01-2007, 07:35 AM
I have a question. Do you find on the average that most inmates do their full prison time rather than take parole or probation with all the multiple requirements one needs to take heed to so as not to end up back in prison. Does the fear of going back keep one in just so they don't mess up with the unending list of requirements?

And what is the difference between parole and probation? If you do your full sentence are you no longer under either when you leave?

pmitch10
03-04-2007, 05:50 PM
These must be tough questions.

lanello
03-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I guess no one knows the answer----yet. I do not know the difference between parole(getting out earlier than you original sentance) therefore you are on probation for the duration of the time and you go back and finish the rest of your sentence if you mess up? Just a guess.Still wondering how much time you need to serve BEFORE you are eligable for parole. Anyone have a general idea

pmitch10
03-05-2007, 06:13 AM
Thank you for your reply lanello. That makes sense. Probation must be very hard to keep as so many end up back in there. I was reading statistics where most of the incarcerated at parolees. Makes one wonder.

NHDOCPIO
04-03-2007, 01:54 PM
pmitch asked:
Do you find on the average that most inmates do their full prison time rather than take parole or probation with all the multiple requirements one needs to take heed to so as not to end up back in prison.

About 15% of all incarcerated New Hampshire State Prison inmates serve to their maximum release date. In a way this is entirely by choice. The Parole Board rarely grants parole to someone who has refused to participate in required treatment programs. Inmates who complete the programs/treatment required of them have a better chance of gaining parole. There are some who refuse to write a parole plan or cancel out any parole hearings. That is a small minority.

pmitch asked:
And what is the difference between parole and probation?

The difference is that the sentencing judge orders a convicted individual to serve a sentence on probation (mostly in lieu of a jail/prison sentence). And parole is granted by the Parole Board after the offender has served at least the minimum of a prison sentence.

lanello asked:
If someone is sentenced 10 1/2 monthes when will they qualify for parole?

10 1/2 months doesn't sound like a state prison sentence. That sounds like a county sentence. Convicted felons have to receive a sentence of at least 1 year and 1 day to go to prison. Anything less than that usually means it is a county sentence. Most prison sentences sound like 1-to-2 years, 3-to-6 years, etc. The offender is then eligible for parole at the minimum release date (The 1 and 3 in the examples I gave). There is normally no parole from county sentences.

lanello asked: Should a lawyer be helping with this procedure?
Offenders have the right to bring an attorney to their parole hearing.

---Jeff Lyons
NH Department of Corrections
Public Information Officer

lanello
04-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Wow! Thanks Jeff! Since you are so knowledgable may I ask one more question. My son was sentenced on Feb 14 to csp for 10 1/2 monthes(the judge did say she recommended RCJ but he got sent to Concord State(which so far has been pretty ok) but I believe the total of his sentence was longer because his lawyer sent a letter saying he need to go before the judge a year after he get out. Anyways my son son told me that he filled out paper work for an ankle bracelet the other day and he feels he may be a canidate for this. How does this work in NH? How does it work? How expensive is it?

littlebro
04-09-2007, 10:26 PM
After the initial parole hearing, if someone is denied parole, when are they eligible again? They told my brother that they wouldn't release him because he hadn't yet completed his program. Is he eligible again as soon as the program is complete?

pmitch10
04-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Are they able to take these programs whenever they are available? Or is there a set time before parole comes up that they are able to do the program and then what if they cannot get in?

Are all programs available before one gets paroled or would they be held up because the state was not able to get them in in time for parole?

lanello
06-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Jeff Lyons----I see you bop in and out of this site. Hopefull I will be lucky and you will answer my question. What is the criteria for a person to be given an ankle bracelet. If , for example, an inmate fills out all the proper paperwork and is told say----a few monthes down the road that they have a 50/50 chance of qualifying for this program,what and who determines this decision. How much time is an inmate given to prepare for being back in society? Also, if this person is denied this program what does CSP do to help prepare an inmate to transition back inot the "real" world when his stay at CSP is complete. Any info you have would be appreciated. peace

Byrnie
06-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Lanello, the PPD on the ankle bracelet is now available for download on the DOC's website. I can't post the link, but if you go to the website, click on the link for Policies, Procedures, and Directives, and it is under Administrative Home Confinement and Electronic Monitoring. That gives information on how the application process works and who it goes to throughout the process. HTH.

lanello
06-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Byrnie---Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

DragonflyNH
12-28-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure if anyone can answer this adequately. My husband had been on Parole for 5 weeks. His Parole Officer came to the house. The PO arrested my husband. He is being charged him with a ďpossession of potĒ. My husband had no other violation, was reporting in weekly, had a job and following all the stipulations. He made a mistake.

He had a court date today. The courts did not know my husband was in prison even though he told the prison about his court date. The PO didnít even REMEMBER when my husbandís court date was and hadnít even talked to the prosecutor when my mother in law called him yesterday.

My husband still has a parole hearing next week. He has been in prison for 29 days as of today and according to my understanding of the legislation the courts have 30 days to charge him because he is on Parole or the charges gets dropped and go home.

Could anyone clarify or give me resources on how I can find out if my husbandís charges could be dropped because the PO didnít do his job?

~ Erica

Crone
12-29-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure how you feel the PO didn't do his job. He did go to your house to do his inspections (he did his job). He arrested your husband for being in possession of pot (a crime in NH) (he did his job). The PO did his job.

Was the hearing your husband had two days ago a probable cause hearing?
Did your husband waive his right to a speedy trial?
Did your husband agree to a continuance?Sometimes these things happen so quickly in court that one doesn't realize they happened. If any of these things were done then he waived his right to be charged within that 30 day time period. Of course, you should seek the advise of an attorney. I'm assuming your husband has one or had one appointed to represent him.

Good luck to both of you!

DragonflyNH
12-29-2007, 02:43 PM
My husband still has no legal representation. The Public Defender's office told me that he will have to have his arrainment first and then at the court they will send someone over to provide him with legal counsel. I have attempted to contact different lawyers, but no one will return my calls and I can't afford a lawyer for him.

His Parole Officer said that he won't be going to court and it has nothing to do with him, except for the Parole Hearing. According to his PO, the police department was supposed to notify the courts and arrange transportation from the prison to his court date.

The courts had no idea my husband was in prison. They rescheduled the court date for January 5th. My husband's PO had stated that it is better to wait until the courts decide on what to do before the parole hearing.

I understand that the Parole Board has 45 days to have the hearing from the day of the violation/incarceration. If my husband doesn't get to court on the 5th and the time lapse, I would imagine that the violation is not valid. I'm not not 100%.

It's really confusing sometimes and it seems like there are a lot of people involved and everyone wants to pass the buck.

The thing that I don't understand is why my husband can't get legal respresentation until his court day.

The information I had omitted was that my husband had a friend at the house. The PO told my husband's friend to empty his pockets. My husband neglected to be sure his friend had nothing on him before entering our home. The friend was the one that had the pot in his pocket. The PO told the friend to get out and arrested my husband for possession.

The PO told my husband that if he confessed that the pot was his, he would give him a break or he would be going to prison. So my husband...confessed it was his, when it wasn't and the PO said "You confessed...too bad, you are going to prison." I couldn't believe it...but I have a witness who will not come forward.

The friend had stopped in for a few minutes to say goodbye to my husband because he was leaving for California because he is moving. There is no way of contacting him. Bad timing..I know.

So my husband is going to plead guilty and see if he can get 6 months, concurrent to get home on parole.

The Parole officer refused to let my husband have a drug test to show that he had no pot in his system. I didn't know they could do that! I do know that it is a violation for my husband to be around pot even if he doesn't know about it.

Crone
12-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Your husband should not speak of this to anyone else from this point forward except his legal counsel. He has been arrested and accused of a crime. He has the right to counsel. One will be appointed at his arraignment. His new attorney needs to know about these witnesses. They can be subpoenaed to the hearing but unfortunately no one can force them to talk or be truthful. The PO is playing dirty pool. It's POs like that who need to lose their job. Can you PM me with the PO's name? I just like to keep track in my own mind who are the dirty POs and who play fair.

The prosecutor or police are supposed to notify the court and schedule his transportation to the courthouse. Depending upon what town/city you are in, the prosecutor's office is sometimes easier to deal with than the police ... or vice versa. For example, there is one town in the south of the state where the police actually sit with the defense counsel during trials rather than the prosecutors. I for one would rather deal with the police in that town rather than the prosecutors.

This is just the way I do it and clearly everyone has their own 'rules', but every person that knows me knows that drugs of any kind (unless prescribed by a physician) do not come into my home, my car or anywhere near me. When I learn that 'friends' are using drugs I leave that relationship. I know it sounds harsh but I'm not willing to intentionally put myself in harms way of going to prison for something I didn't do. I'm not going to allow anyone to do to me what your husband's friend did to your husband. The friend had to know there were parole conditions and that your husband could go back to prison yet the friend made the choice to bring that stuff into your home. What kind of friend does that? In my house, that 'friend' would never cross my threshold again. This is a hard lesson for you and your husband to have had to learn and my heart goes out to you that you are back in this position of dealing with the courts, etc. again. Hang in there. When he gets his attorney, get your husband to authorize you (in writing) to speak with and receive information from his attorney so that you can share the information with the attorney that you shared here. I don't know what the Public Defenders are like in your county but I've met some phenomenal Public Defenders in the Merrimack and Hillsborough Counties.

jinxedby13
01-21-2008, 11:00 PM
I am beginning to work on a Parole Letter for my fiance to send to the parole board. My question is who should I send it to? Do I need to put his inmate ID on it? How do I make sure it gets to where it's supposed to go to, such as his file? How many copies do I send?

I am a little confused because I have been reading alot of the information about parole on this website about other states, but can't find info on NH. Maybe I am just really tired and not looking hard enough. After a while of looking at the computer screen, reading post after post, I can hardly see.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Crone
01-22-2008, 06:03 AM
This is from the Parole Board's website (http://www.nh.gov/nhdoc/divisions/parole/index.html). The site also provides a list of dates that the next parole hearings will be held.:

John Eckert, Executive Assistant
New Hampshire State Prison for Men . PO Box 14 . Concord, NH 03302 . (603) 271-2569
Board Composition. The Adult Parole Board is an independent agency that reports directly to the governor. The board consists of seven members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Executive Council. Members serve five-year terms, and may serve no more than two consecutive terms. By law, three board members must preside over each hearing. The board is part-time, which means that members report for duty only when scheduled for hearings. Board members are always available to issue arrest warrants for parole violators, and to consult with parole officers regarding problem cases.

Parole hearings are generally held on Thursdays in the

Parole Board Hearings Room located at the New Hampshire State Prison for Men in Concord.

Parole revocation hearings are generally held as needed on Tuesdays in the same location.

These dates and times can change based on necessity. Members of the public wishing to attend parole hearings must contact the Adult Parole Board in advance. Parole Board Members
George J. Khoury, Chair
Alan Coburn
Megan C. DeVorsey
Robert F. Hamel
George L. Iverson
Donald Laroche
Pierre J. Morin

DragonflyNH
01-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Check out the information posted about mine that was posted by Crone2004. Also John Eckert's email address is: jeckert@nhdoc.state.nh.us

Call him BEFORE sending him the email, just so he knows to read it before the Parole Hearing. Only send the email if you cannot make it to the hearing and want to present a testimony on his behalf.

Let me know if you need further assistance. I've written to the board a couple of times.

I hope he has better luck than my husband!

~ Erica

jinxedby13
01-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Thank you Erica and Crone! Erica, I have been following your case and I am sorry that you are going through all this. It is so very frustrating. Especially when we know the truth and can't do anything about it because no one will listen or believe us. I am tired of PO's, and anyone in law enforcement telling me that "that's the way it is, it's the law, it's your word against theirs." When they don't know the truth because they don't want to believe that sometimes it's the police officers who lie. I am not saying all lie, but they are human too and they are not all honest. Let's face it, the system sometimes lets us down.

Anyway, thanks again. But now you brought up some more questions. Ok, so I am not to mail a letter in, but email it instead? I will probably attend the hearing anyway, and I know that I need to call ahead of time. But there are other people who would also like to write to the parole board on behalf of my fiance. Can they also write letters and email them?

timsbaby41
01-30-2008, 10:35 AM
I have a question .What is the difference when writing letters for a sentence reduction hearing ?If any

Crone
01-30-2008, 11:10 AM
A sentence reduction hearing is held before a Judge in the court. Letters written for a sentence reduction hearing are support letters and should be addressed to and snail mailed to the Clerk of Court.

If you are talking about writing a motion, however, the format would be different but it would still be snail mailed to the Clerk of Court.

timsbaby41
01-31-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks crone GO PATS