View Full Version : What can you take when you go to serve?

dontwannago!
09-16-2006, 02:55 PM
I am going to be going to prison soon, and I am wondering what you can bring with you. My experiance in county jail is that you can bring books, extra cloths, personal items, as long as they are within standards. I had to have the stuff iin my personal property, but then some of the officers would get me the things I asked for. And nothing got stolen by the CO's!

I guess that is another question...Anyone have issues with stuff get stole from there person property?

deb
09-16-2006, 04:05 PM
My husband was allowed to have his wedding ring, a couple sets of white t-shirts and underwear, and a "religious" book like a bible or meditation book... Everything else needed to be ordered from inside or sent to him.. I ordered books and had them sent to him. I sent him a list of addresses and pictures..

Deb

mrsdragoness
09-17-2006, 08:04 AM
Hello and Welcome to PTO!!

You'll find lots of support and friendship here with us.. even after you leave us for your stay!

If you are self-surrendering it may be different and I don't have any information on that. You could call the county jail and ask them to make sure.

Lions Heart
09-17-2006, 09:23 PM
I think that things are a lot different than in county jail. I know that a few members have posted that when they were transferred from county to RG&C they had to send a lot of their stuff home.

Welcome to PTO. You might want to post in the introduction forum so we can give you a proper welcome as well. Take care and good luck! I hope you find a lot of information so that you can be well prepared

angeltob
09-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Great questions!!!....Cant bring much with you...the ladies got that covered....As far as getting property stolen...you can purchase your own footlocker to keep your belongings. Anything brought from facility to facility is logged and signed by you so if your talking staff...not much dissapears there....but some times things do come up missing from rooms...mostly in the dorm type settings or cubicals.

dontwannago!
09-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. Calling my local jail sounds like a good idea, if there is anyone with enough humanity to answer a question with a straight answer!

anothersurvivor
09-18-2006, 03:43 PM
I am going to be going to prison soon, and I am wondering what you can bring with you. My experiance in county jail is that you can bring books, extra cloths, personal items, as long as they are within standards. I had to have the stuff iin my personal property, but then some of the officers would get me the things I asked for. And nothing got stolen by the CO's!

I guess that is another question...Anyone have issues with stuff get stole from there person property?

First, the county jail staff did not steal my stuff. They sent it to the people I designated to receive it.

Second, I spent from 2000 to 2003 in prison in Jackson. At the time I was there the ONLY personal stuff you could take with you was a wedding band, a watch, and religious books such as the Bible, or a Koran or somthing similar according to your religion. Unless they have drastically changed the rules you won't be able to take your own clothing or much of anything else. Just the items mentioned above. You'll be traveling VERY lightly.

dontwannago!
09-18-2006, 04:18 PM
So they wont let you take your legal papers, letters or other stuff like that?

Lions Heart
09-18-2006, 05:14 PM
I don't believe that you can take that stuff with you. When you are inside then you can have that stuff sent to you and you can keep it with you but I don't think you will be able to have it upon entry. I could be wrong though. My guy went down 13 yrs ago so who knows what has changed since then.

marmot
09-18-2006, 06:28 PM
My brother went from court to Reception and my dad went to the jail to pick up his stuff later that same day. His clothes, shoes and I'm pretty sure his court papers, then mailed it back later.

angeltob
09-18-2006, 06:42 PM
So they wont let you take your legal papers, letters or other stuff like that?

Nothing comes with you...but legal papers can be brought to you by your attorney and left for you, legal papers can also be brought up to you by an immediate family member to sign but those have to be brought back out after a visit. I dont believe either of these apply while you are in reception due to the short stay but once you are placed in a facility both can happen.

GILBERTGIRL
09-19-2006, 09:51 AM
When My Hubby Went In, They Took Him From Court, Over To The County Jail (next Door) They Took All Items From Him And Kept Them At The Jail. They Transferred Him To Rgc. He Was Only Allowed To Keep His Wedding Band (which He Put In His Pocket To Be Sent Home). I Then Picked His Clothes Up At The Jail. He Had To Purchase Anything Else Through The Prison.

AmyLynn
09-19-2006, 10:25 AM
I do beleave that if you try to take papers or pictures they shred them that is what happened to my ex when he took some pictures.. Another thing that you can do is mail your self the legal papers if you know your #!! I wish you the best..