View Full Version : Apalachee CI East to West

KKCasey50
09-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi all, I just received a call my dad was transferred from East to West Unit today. Does this make sense to anyone? He was only at East a couple of weeks from Lake Butler Reception Center. Does anyone know if the visitation forms will have to be redone, each time they transfer to another place? Thanks, Karen

Ross811
09-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Visitation will be just the same. You should not have to re-do any forms.

HLR
09-13-2006, 06:14 PM
:) Be glad. My son was ACI East for 10 months and then was sent to the West Unit. As I told you in an earlier reply, the east unit is a rough facility. ACI West is more relaxed and the guards there have an entirely different demeanor that those at the east unit. The visitation room is very small and the place is noisy but I think your Dad will be much better off there. Good Luck to you and your family.

KKCasey50
09-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Ross and HLR: Thanks for the response. Yes, I remember you posting how rough the East unit was. I am glad the West unit is different. I have been and will be worried, as you all very well realize!!! I guess that will never change until our loved ones are home. Is the West Unit considered a permanent place? Or I guess that changes too.

HLR
09-14-2006, 05:58 AM
There is nothing permanent within the DOC. If I can offer a suggestion about writing your Dad. This is what I do for my son. I go to the internet and check out our local newspaper and other newspapers around Florida. I copy articles he might find interesting into a letter for him. He also likes puzzles and trivia so I find something he might like and send those in the letter. As you are aware they can only get 5 backup pages in addition to a letter so I insert the puzzles and solutions to the puzzles in the middle of the letter so it is not counted toward the extra pages allowed. You can also subscribe to publications for him and that helps them a lot. I found a discount magazine website and order from there. It is a lot cheaper that Books A Million, etc. but you may want to check on the number of pubication they can receive a month. This is the website I order from and have never had a problem (http://www.shopmags.com/) Also, my aunt send a subscription to our local newspaper to him. Anything for them helps.

KKCasey50
09-14-2006, 08:30 AM
HLR, great advice. I like the idea of sending the trivia and newspaper articles. I will also check out the magazine sub. I think the rule is one daily and 4 periodicals, if memory serves me. I have been writing him as have my children and the rest of our family. That part is as much for us as him if you know what I mean. Also, I read the rule wrong, I thought total of 5 pages! I am learning so much, Thanks!

HLR
01-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Haven't been on this site for a while. How is your father doing?

godcan
09-06-2007, 06:44 AM
no asong as you is on his visiting list my husband is in west unit in sneads