View Full Version : Child Support - possibly going to jail in Mo

AngelOfMusic
09-08-2006, 02:22 PM
I was arrested during a traffic stop because there was a warrant out for my arrest on being behind on my child support $1,350.
I fell on some financial difficulties and didn't pay six months out of a 12 month period (HUGE MISTAKE), and now being charged with a class D felony for this.

I spent 8 days in jail here because Mo wants to extradite me back there. My in laws helped bail me out, 2,500. Then helped me catch up and pay off my restitution. The PA STILL wants me extradited. The judge and my atty here feel they are overreacting because I paid off my amount due.

The judge here has granted me 30 days for my atty to work something out with the PA in Mo. I have three weeks left to go and they are being uncooperative with my atty by not returning phone calls.

One PA phoned and spoke to my husband and accused me of fleeing the state to avoid my obligation, which is a lie since I have a stack of receipts proving I paid my CS from here.

We copied all of those receipts with a letter and faxed them off to the PA to prove I wasn't was fleeing to avoid paying.

My atty let me know yesterday that a PA phoned him and told him they were turning it over to the DA - district attorney, and that he would have to speak to them now.

I'm really nervous and I wonder what is going to happen.

What is really horrible about this is - I don't know where my child is at that I'm paying CS on. My ex keeps our child away from me and hidden, and has for years even though I have joint custody. I just don't have the money to go to the court and fight him over it.

I have re-married years ago to a good man, and had another child. This entire ordeal has made me feel as if my other baby is being ripped away from me. These prosecutors don't care either.

Does anyone else feel they are overreacting over such a small amount of money? Now that it's paid, can anyone foresee them extraditing me?

I can't believe they can't transfer my case to this county. I'm hardly about to flee my obligation, I just got behind which is completely my fault.

There is also the chance I'm pregnant again, and worried about being incarcerated.

Christy
09-08-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm confused...you live in CA? You got stopped for a traffic stop and they found a warrent out for your arrest? Was this in CA? or in MO?

Do you owe the child support in CA or in MO?

Sorry for the probably obvious questions, I am trying to be clear on this!

HotwheelinBetty
09-09-2006, 12:38 AM
If you have paid off the arrears they should have already dropped it. That's really the only goal of prosecuting is to try and get the back child support paid off. Extraditing your from California to Missouri for something that is, for all intents and purposes, already resolved seems like a huge waste of Missouri tax payers money. Until you actually get a straight answer from the DA, there isn't much you can do since any decisions you make would only be for what-if situations. You could call Missouri's Division of Family Services and see what their policies are for people who haven't paid support, and what their policies are for people that were in arrears but are now caught up. I wouldn't go into too much detail with them about your current predicament, but just get answers to hypothetical situations. Wish I could help more, because God knows there are people who are actually living in this state that are way behind (like years) in their child support (coughmyexhusbandcough), and the authorities don't seem to really care or want to do anything about it, and now they want to make a huge deal out of someone that they would have to pay to extradite, who has "settled their account" with back child support.

AngelOfMusic
09-09-2006, 01:26 AM
I'm confused...you live in CA? You got stopped for a traffic stop and they found a warrent out for your arrest? Was this in CA? or in MO?

Do you owe the child support in CA or in MO?

Sorry for the probably obvious questions, I am trying to be clear on this!

I live in Ca. Yes, I was in the car with my husband when they pulled us over. They asked for my ID too. It happened in Ca.

I owe the child support in MO. Actually it's all paid off now and I'm current with September's payment.

AngelOfMusic
09-09-2006, 01:29 AM
If you have paid off the arrears they should have already dropped it. That's really the only goal of prosecuting is to try and get the back child support paid off. Extraditing your from California to Missouri for something that is, for all intents and purposes, already resolved seems like a huge waste of Missouri tax payers money. Until you actually get a straight answer from the DA, there isn't much you can do since any decisions you make would only be for what-if situations. You could call Missouri's Division of Family Services and see what their policies are for people who haven't paid support, and what their policies are for people that were in arrears but are now caught up. I wouldn't go into too much detail with them about your current predicament, but just get answers to hypothetical situations. Wish I could help more, because God knows there are people who are actually living in this state that are way behind (like years) in their child support (coughmyexhusbandcough), and the authorities don't seem to really care or want to do anything about it, and now they want to make a huge deal out of someone that they would have to pay to extradite, who has "settled their account" with back child support.

One would think they would drop this. I have a friend whose husband is in arrears of 56,000 and he still has his driver's license! I never thought about calling DFS. Thanks for the tip.

It's a wait and see thing. I should know something next week after my atty speaks with the DA. *sigh* :(

tinkr30
09-09-2006, 03:07 PM
You know this burns my hinney!

My oldest daughters father owes over 19,000 in back child support and they JUST NOW sent it to the Boone County PA.

Your less than $2000 behind and they have a warrant out on you. What in the world?

HotwheelinBetty
09-09-2006, 04:26 PM

My oldest daughters father owes over 19,000 in back child support and they JUST NOW sent it to the Boone County PA.

Your less than $2000 behind and they have a warrant out on you. What in the world?

Don't forget spending the money not only to prosecute something that has been taken care of, but spending the large amount of money for a possible extradition.

I tell you what, this state is so bass ackwards sometimes:mad:

AngelOfMusic
09-10-2006, 02:47 AM

Yes I owed 1,350. I paid that off and my sept payment. So far no news of them transferring my case here so I won't get extradited. From what I understand, if I am extradited they will prosecute me in missouri for not paying, even though I'm all caught up.

For the record I do take full responsibility for getting behind on my payments and having financial problems. It's my fault, but I still feel that they are overreacting completely.

AngelOfMusic
09-10-2006, 02:53 AM
Don't forget spending the money not only to prosecute something that has been taken care of, but spending the large amount of money for a possible extradition.

I tell you what, this state is so bass ackwards sometimes:mad:

Alot of people here are saying the same thing. Even the judge here in CA said he didn't understand why they wouldn't be satisfied I purged the entire amount and got current.

I'm not fleeing, because I turned in past paymt receipts made from CA.

What is even far more amazing to me is, I was a child of a father who left me when I was five years old. He ran from state to state to purposefully avoid paying his child support. Any time he came back into MO and my family found out, the judge wouldn't do a thing to him. Now this is back in the seventies and early eighties. But still. And he's in arrears over 70,000. He never paid a dime. This is what bothers me most. I'm struggling to meet my obligation and WANT to. It's the people who flee to evade their obligations that tend to get away with it and I don't understand it.

It's the tax payers money that would be paying for my plane ticket back to missouri. Nice huh? I'm terrified to fly too so that makes it double worse. :(

2_getha_4_eva
10-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Girl. Do I ever feel sorry for you. But, let me tell you why this pisses me off so ROYALY!!! My ex husband owes me over 32,000.00 and ONLY has his license suspended. He will work for 3 months out of the year & by the time they bring him up for charges they will cut him a deal & say start paying within 2 months or your going to jail. SO, he will for another 3 months and so on and so on. This has been going on for years. May I ask what county you are dealing with? Also, you have right to know where your child is and if you are paying you have rights to see your child, as long as you havent been found unfit. I am assuming not since you have your other child. Keep In Touch and Best Of Luck!

enniz
10-30-2006, 07:29 PM
You Hava Got To Be Kidding, It Is Not Real , It Seems Like A Joke
Hell I Dont Even Know What To Say, Are They Crazy¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ God Why Dont They Spend Their Time And Effort On Real Criminals, Not A Woman That Was Behind And Know Has Paid Up, Hang In There And The Best Of Luck.....monica
Ps.. You Know Even As Unfair That I Feel That My Mans Sentence Was , I Know Is His Fault And He Should Have Known Better Than To Go On Stealin And He Is Paying The Consequences ,but This To You In So Unfair.....my Prayers Will Be With You

JAM29
11-12-2006, 06:51 PM
i understand the child support issue because i went through a similiar situation in my state but differnt county then the county im living in. have any questions you can pm me with anything to be answered.