View Full Version : HELP!!!!! Why is his custody status close???

so_hurt
09-08-2006, 12:11 PM
I have just seen that my boyfriends custody status "close" is.
he is still at CFRC, he just violated his probation, how come they put him into the close custody thing??????

he is the nicest guy in the world and he swore not to get into trouble?
I'm shocked!

Why why why?

can he get letters in close custody? can he get books? can he write me?
can he get visits???

oh my god I think I am dying, what on earth is going on?????

can anybody give me an explanation?

annat
09-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi. Close custody does not mean confinement or anything super bad like that. My fiance is still classified under "Close" custody...I believe that it's another level of security...like there is Community, Minimum, Medium, and Close. I could be wrong though. BUT....like I said, my fiance's status is Close and he can send out mail and receive it, receive books, can have visits, etc. just like an inmate on minimum can. I'm not sure how they determine which level an inmate should be at...perhaps their crime determines it?? But I do know that with time and good behaviour, the status can be lowered to Medium...and then Minimum...

I know this probably didn't help much, SORRY!!! Someone else on here I'm sure can answer all of your questions :D

lostnlonely
09-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Milena- Relax hon. Everything is probably fine. My fiancee was initially classified as close when he got to CFRC. After they are classified by thier classification officer the custody will drop depending on thier criminal history and behaviour. No worries. My fiancee says this happens to everyone and they do not have any restrictions being placed on them during this time. Hope that helps.
Sherry

JWSPMS
09-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Milena: Take a deep breath hon. Trust me it's all right. It's not what you think.
Hon "CLOSE" custody is just that his CUSTODY level. It does NOT mean "CLOSE MANAGEMENT" which is a type of confinement well seperate housing type area I guess you can call it for inmates that pose a serious threat to other inmates, officers and the security of the facility. There is 3 different levels CM1,CM2,CM3.
What it says for your boyfriend, it DOES NOT mean he's in any kind of trouble. It's just his custody level. Meaning which prison he can go to and which level of security he will fall under. He gets visits, mail, books, magazines, recreation, all of it except working outside the prison until his custody level drops. My husband is close custody and we visit and talk I send him things the same as anyone else.

I hope that helps and eases your fears some? I know it's all so confusing. But trust me he's NOT in any trouble. Everything is perfectly fine. :)

Custody levels are as followes:
Maximum-reserved for Death Row only
Close
Medium
Minimum and
Community

Take care and God Bless,
~SPIKESWIFE~

so_hurt
09-08-2006, 10:18 PM
oh......... :o

Thank you SOOOO much!

What would I do without this website??
Go nuts probably :p

Thank you, thank you SOOO MUCH!

brokenf
09-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Looking at the inmates log at the FLDOC Website suggest that CLOSE is due to the type of crime. It also seems that a lot of the foreign nationals are classified CLOSE. Not to sure why. Flight risk I guess. People with INS or ICE detainers, for example.

so_hurt
09-09-2006, 08:38 AM
well he is just caucasian boring white american ;)
nothing international. I'm the alien :D

what do INS and ICE mean?

JohnsHeart
09-09-2006, 08:46 AM
generally violent offenses will get a person under close management. They still get the same priviledges as other inmates, except close management inmates cannot have certain jobs (for instance unloading delivery trucks etc). Close custody status inmates can still live in dorms etc.

lostnlonely
09-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Depending on the type of crime that was commited his custody level may drop before he is sent to his permanent camp.

brokenf
09-10-2006, 04:36 PM
So Close is not Max?

so_hurt
09-10-2006, 05:15 PM
no - Maximum-reserved for Death Row only

Phil in Paris
09-11-2006, 08:03 AM
what do INS and ICE mean?

INS: Immigration and Naturalization Service

ICE: Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Phil :)

so_hurt
09-11-2006, 11:04 AM
merci beaucoup phil

JWSPMS
09-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Please I can't stress enough Close Custody and Close Manngement are 2 TWO totaly different things and have nothing to do with the other

CLOSE CUSTODY is how the FLDOC classifies you based on your crime and security needs.

CLOSE MANAGEMENT---all 3 levels are for the security of the prison, the inmate and other inmates and is a type of segregated housing unit. This is for inmates that regular Confinement doesn't really work for. There are only 3 prisons where Closed Manangement inmates are housed and they are Santa Rosa, Florida State Prison, and Charlotte. "BUT" if your guy goes to any of these prisons DOESN'T mean he is being placed in CLOSED MANAGEMENT. There are other inmates at these prisons not just inmates who got into trouble.

To always check whether your loved one is on CM or not when you go to the web page it will say:
Current Facility: R.M.C.- MAIN UNIT (Or wherever your loved one is at)
Current Classification Status: NOT APPLICABLE (or it would say CM I, II or III)
Current Custody: CLOSE (or Medium, Minimum, or Community or for Deah Row inmates it will say-Maximum)

So don't panic if you see Close Custody. :)

I hope this helps with confusion. :D

Take Care and God Bless,
~SPIKESWIFE~

ctops.legal
09-26-2007, 10:55 AM
1st I did 5 years most girlfriends stay around about 1 year, then they move on, they always starts writing back when it gets close to there EOS, I'm also a truck driver, and relationships are hard just like doing time, I noticed your posting alot your guy must have just fell, I have seen guys cut there wrists with plastic combs, bead there heads on the phones till the officers lock them up, I hope you make it . :)

so_hurt
09-26-2007, 11:20 AM
This thread is one year old...

And I really did think "close custody" was "close management". That was the only reason why I was so horrified; it was a misunderstanding and I flipped for nothing :p