View Full Version : Audio Cassettes--Where to get them?

Lou103156
07-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Is it possible to send music cassettes to someone in the Concord NH state prison. My guy called and mentioned he heard they could have music cassettes and asked me to look into it. He finally got placed yesterday and was told he could have a radio the one he ordered from the canteen has a cassette player but we have no idea how to get him cassettes or even if it is possible. Please let me know if you know any possible ways to do this. Thanks in advance.

kristinm
07-21-2006, 07:27 PM
i just talked to by b/f and he said yes you can have tapes sent in. do would do it just like books. they have to come from a store (boarders,barnes&knoble) make sure they put an invoice in with the tapes or the mail room will send it back.

Lou103156
07-21-2006, 08:17 PM
I will go to boarders tommorrow and get him his tape thanks again..

Lou103156
07-22-2006, 04:29 PM
I am at a loss I went to both Barnes and Noble and also Boarders and both stores told me they did not carry any music cassettes and they were unable to point me to any specific store. What I am looking for is AlterBridges album One Day Remains I am open to any other suggestions. I did however find a real good book and had it sent to him from Barnes and Noble. He should have it by the end of the week. ATleast that made me feel a little better.

kristinm
07-23-2006, 10:37 AM
I cant think of any others place-- i will ask around and ask my b/f to ask around. As for the book you sent him it will take a couple of weeks before he gets it. It takes awhile but he will get it

Lou103156
07-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Kristinm,

Thanks to you, I appreciate all you effort and Thankyou also for the info on the arrival of the book. He doesnt know it is comming so I will not say anything about it to him It will be a suprise. I will keep hunting for a way to send music cassettes.

snowbarefoot
07-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Finding a music company that would send anything to a prison facility. I found a trick though. If you have a credit card, you can go into Hastings and do everything from there without having to deal with a customer service rep that will tell you 'No, we can't send anything to prisons anymore.' And actually, it was someone that worked at the store that told me how to do this. Good luck!!!

Lou103156
08-03-2006, 03:46 PM
I have been able to find out that sending music cassettes to the NH State prison is impossible except as an inclusion of such in a christmas present. Such cassettes are not sold at either of the stores approved to send items to the prison. So he will have to wait to use his cassette player they sold him through the canteen. I guess.

Crone
08-06-2006, 04:55 PM
I know that my husband has had to ask that a vendor be approved so that he could get an item.

Do you know who the approved vendors are? Perhaps we could try to encourage them to have certain types of items on their shelves (provided of course that the item is an authorized item at NHDOC).

DragonflyNH
09-07-2006, 12:32 PM
My husband is in the Laconia facility. He would like me to send him cassettes. However the only place I can get information for is Dave's Music Store in Berlin NH.

Does anyone know of any other company that sells casettes and will send to NH's State Prisons?

Dave's Music Store contact information is as followed:

Dave's Music Store
76 Main Street
Berlin NH 03570
Phone: 603-752-2212

They charge $3.85 for shipping and handling no matter how many cassettes you want to send. Their prices range from $10 -$15 for cassettes and sometimes less. Many place do not send cassettes or even SELL cassettes anymore. Call Dave's Music Store with a list of cassettes and he can see if he has it in stock.

Erica

NHDOCPIO
10-03-2006, 07:46 AM
The Prison canteen says a number of cassettes come from Music By Mail, an online music warehouse.

The mailroom looks for the package to come directly from the publisher/distributor with a valid receipt on the inside of the package.

DragonflyNH
12-21-2006, 10:54 AM
That's great, but could you please provide more information such as website, address and phone number? I'm unable to find the information myself. I put in Musicbymail.com and get routed to "jazzbymail.com"

pmitch10
12-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Check out the Services and Product Info thread. You might have access to more responses about tapes.

pmitch10
12-26-2006, 01:48 PM
I did find a music by mail website but they are under construction. They did leave an email address though.

salem906
07-17-2007, 01:51 PM
it drives me crazy cassettes are so hard to find..maine you can have cds but not in nh ..

pmitch10
07-19-2007, 08:09 AM
My son mentioned that they are looking into something new to use in the prisons........I will have to inquire further as he didn't want me to buy him a tape player just yet.

Yes, cd's are most of what you can buy now and seeing how we cannot make our own tapes........

Crone
07-22-2007, 04:59 AM
Salem906, I suspect the reason they cannot have CDs is because it is a safety issue. It wouldn't take but a heartbeat to break a CD and use it as a weapon. Frankly, I'm surprised that Maine permits them.

Selma
10-03-2007, 04:06 PM
I heard the prison was considering iPODs but have decided against them. My b/f said they had thier tape players taken away because some guys were using parts to do tats. Looks like they can buy walkmans now.

pdrsrr4car
10-05-2007, 08:26 AM
I've had success using Tower on the web to order music on cassette tapes for my son (this forum won't let me post the url until I've made 25 posts!!) . The folks at Tower did ask me to take responsibility for the shipments since the items were going to a prison. But my son received his cassettes without any problems.

Once on the Tower website click on the 'advanced search' option, select 'Music', then under format select 'cassette' and submit. While it appears there's over 6000 items to choose from, many will come up with a 'no longer available' message. (You'd think they'd drop those from their list). You can narrow the selection by choosing artist or genre. The site is pretty easy to use (that is once I figured out I needed to start with the advanced search to get just cassettes).

I think the 'Music by Mail' is literally by US Mail only. You may have to ask your loved one to see if they can get a catalog or contact information from the Canteen to send to you.

pmitch10
10-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info! :)

pdrsrr4car
10-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Here's the contact info for ordering cassettes from

Music by Mail
PO Box 329066
Bush Terminal
Brooklyn, NY 11232

Ph: (718) 369-6982
Hrs: 9am-5pm EST

To get a catalog send a check for $2.00 to the above address.

:)

pmitch10
10-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Thanks for that address 4car! :)

HesMYSunshine
04-08-2008, 12:33 PM
I am really hoping someone can help me with my problem -finding cassettes! I am going to vent a little bit, so I bought my husband a cassette player but now i can't figure out where to get the music from! I called the prison because my husband thought that they might have a list of approved vendors for that and you know what they said? They don't know.. I was told NCF doesn't accept Music By Mail anymore, does anyone know if they accecpt from a place called Heart Beat Records, (its like all gospel music)? Any info would be a big help! And someone said they have to get new tvs next year? Is that true because I just bought my hubby one this year!

Crone
04-10-2008, 08:00 AM
HesMySunshine, did you check out this thread (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224326)?

HesMYSunshine
04-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Just as an update Music by mail is no longer allowed and Hastings no longer sells cassettes

sulkey
04-15-2008, 12:49 PM
:)Music by mail may not be allowed to send to your state but I did call to double check for NYS becuase I just ordreded some tapes for my husband 2 weeks ago... :)

pdrsrr4car
04-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Just as an update Music by mail is no longer allowed and Hastings no longer sells cassettes

The Concord prison still allows for shipments from Music by Mail. My son recently received an order we placed for him that included cassettes and books.

The real problem is that the inventory of music on cassettes is dwindling because that type of media is no longer produced. Eventually the prisons will have to offer an alternative (like MP3 players perhaps) in order for inmates to have music other than just radio stations.

srr

pdrsrr4car
04-23-2008, 09:34 AM
And someone said they have to get new tvs next year? Is that true because I just bought my hubby one this year!

Not true. Any TV that is already getting cable service does not need to be replaced. Cable and satellite already transmit in digital.

The deal is that analog service (i.e. transmission over the airwaves using antennas) is going away next year and only digital service will be available. This has created a lot of confusion for people.

Folks who are still using antennas to get TV service will be the only ones that have a problem. If they don't have cable available they will have to get satellite, and then they only need a new TV if their old set isn't not able to receive digital.

srr

pmitch10
04-24-2008, 06:46 PM
I was told by my son who is in Berlin that he was told they were no longer on the approved list.....whatever that means.

HesMYSunshine
05-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Thank you for clearing that up for me! And in case anyone else is looking for tapes like me, I got a couple for my husband from Amazon

debbielew
05-22-2008, 09:38 AM
I also have ordered from Amazon. Another place I have ordered from is squaredealonline.com. You have to make sure you buy "new" not used. My son just received three that I ordered from there. I also just ordered from an EBay store thar sells brand new cassettes. I'll let you know if he gets them. Cassettes are hard to find these days. It's like trying to find 8 track tapes.
Good luck.
Debbie

HesMYSunshine
06-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Thank you so much I will make sure to check that place out! I sent 3 tapes to my hubby from Amazon, but he only got 2 because 1 didn't have a packing slip..rrrr it's so frustrating.

melita duran
09-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Has anyone ordered from king pinent.com? and did they get their tapes?

tarab
08-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Can anyone Please tell me if inmates in Concord NH State Prison can have cassettes and if so how can I order them.I was on the Access Sure Pack web site.They sell cassette players but no cassettes.Also can I buy a TV and how THANK YOU.

pmitch10
08-15-2010, 03:43 PM
I think through Access you can order a tv without speakers. Somewhere on here we have talked about cassettes before. I will try to find it. They are very hard to find....the system is completely outdated. I didn't know you could still buy a cassette player though they are supposed to be looking into something else....but you know how that goes and how long that will take. I found a post back in 07 talking about changing over to something else as tapes are so hard to find but here it is 2010 and they are still not dealing with it as nothing has been changed since.

pmitch10
09-14-2010, 06:21 AM
I finally found my old tape thread. For tapes you can send for a catalog for $2...and for tapes they have a flat shipping fee of $4. Their name and address is Pack Central, 10115 Canoga Ave. Unit D, Chatsworth, CA. 91311

Hope this is still in service. :)

pmitch10
09-14-2010, 06:23 AM
I will have to ask my son next time of how we ordered his television as I don't see it on the Access website as I thought it was on.

tinymom
09-14-2010, 05:36 PM
When my son wanted cassettes I sent him one of the newspaper inserts for one of the music clubs. He picked out the ones he wanted and sent the form back to me. I called the club and found out that because they were going to an inmate I would have to put down a $50 deposit. I sent the money along with the order form. They sent him the cassettes and forms each month for other selections. Once he had fulfilled the membership requirements we cancelled the club.

pmitch10
09-15-2010, 03:30 AM
What a great idea! Thanks. So obviously, they still make cassettes then.

tinymom
09-15-2010, 06:43 AM
When my son was there he also wanted books to read. I, too, had him sign up for a book club the same way. Book clubs also ask for a deposit of money when someone is in a jail or prison. So, I set one of those up to and cancelled when the obligation to buy some books (about 4 in 2 years). Just for those who may wonder about books and on occassion I would have a book sent from a bookstore in Concord. He was allowed to have only so many books in his cell at one time so he would donate the books to the library or pass them on to others. When he came home intead of having to bring the books home he donated them all to the prison library. The selections in the book club were of more recent books and he got to read those written by a favorite author.

Cactus
09-15-2010, 06:59 AM
There can't be too many places left that make those things. It's like 35mm film...Soon to become the way of the VHS and 8 tracks!
Still however, there must be millions unsold yet on the market. That's good news, thanks! :thumbsup:

tinymom
09-15-2010, 09:42 AM
I should have looked into this before posting a response. I've found that the clubs I used don't have them anymore. I did, however, find that Ebay has a section devoted to cassettes you can order. From past experience ordering from Ebay I know you can order something and have it sent to a different address so this may be an option for Pmitch10. In fact I plugged in "cassettes" in my taskbar and came up with many options. Correct me if I am wrong but I think if it is being mailed in that is acceptable as long as the place is a business. I would probably check this out before I ordered. Perhaps we should find out why MP3 players or CD players aren't available to inmates. Perhaps it is time for the prison to get with the times!

Cactus
09-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Perhaps we should find out why MP3 players or CD players aren't available to inmates. Perhaps it is time for the prison to get with the times!
CD's are considered a security threat. They can be used as sharp weapons & are not allowed by the NHDOC.

tinymom
09-18-2010, 06:26 AM
Never thought of that. Thanks for explaining.

NHDOCPIO
09-24-2010, 01:41 PM
As an FYI, we just posted a Request for Proposal to allow inmates to buy MP3 players using downloadable digital media through a new kiosk system we are setting up. Bids will be accepted until November 12, 2010 and then they will be reviewed and presented to the Governor and Executive Council for approval. The G&C usually goes with the lowest bidder.

Here is the link to the RFP if you want to read through all 28 pages to see what we hope to accomplish: http://www.nh.gov/nhdoc/business/documents/rfp1101srcommmp3kiosk.pdf

---Jeff Lyons
Public Information Officer
NH Department of Corrections

tinymom
09-24-2010, 02:35 PM
thank you for sharing this with us.

hisbestfriend
10-01-2010, 09:23 AM
REALLY ???????? That's AWESOME !!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

pmitch10
10-18-2010, 06:30 AM
taken from that: One Million Songs.....Cool!

Description of Technical Services:
3.1. MP3 Player Component:

player shall offer a minimum of 1 million song titles available for purchase;
search and select of songs while being connected to the kiosk or any other computer and/or electronic device shall not be permitted;
player shall allow inmate to browse available song titles directly on player without connection to the kiosk at not additional cost to the inmates/patients;
player shall provide and display a download list to search and select songs for future download at not additional cost to the inmates/patients;
download list shall allow the inmate to delete songs from selected list to inhibit songs to be downloaded when connected to the kiosk;
player shall provide the ability to reload deleted songs to player without being charged again for the deleted songs;
player shall have the ability to display, store and file songs;
player shall have a mortality timer that requires inmates/patients to connect to the kiosk at least once every 30 days to renew the use of the player;
player shall have an anti theft feature that locks out a player if it is reported lost or stolen;
player shall have a automatic shut off mechanism (security software) preventing downloads from any other electronic device or computer other than a kiosk;
player shall be programmed to display the inmates/patients name and NHDOC identification number and location by depressing a manual button without the player to be turned on and off to display the inmates personal information;
player shall have the ability to create an electronic message on the player without being connected to a kiosk or computer device with a built in security feature to turn off feature if not approved for use;
player shall have the ability to store/display NHDOC approved photos and electronic messages on the player without being connected to a kiosk with a built in security feature to turn off feature if not approved for use;
player shall provide and display the inmates/patients transaction history to include account balance after each disconnect from kiosk without being connected to kiosk;

pmitch10
10-18-2010, 06:36 AM
Scope of Services Exhibit A Page 2 of 9 Vendor Initials: _________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________ Promoting Public Safety through Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, Collaboration and Accountability RFP: NHDOC 11-01-SRCOM, closing date: 11/12/2010

player shall have a minimum memory of 4 Gigabytes;
player shall have a built in FM radio with digital turner, pre-set station and auto scan capabilities;
player shall be able to play only MP3 format songs with an unlimited number of delete and reload capabilities;
player shall have the ability to have all security features removed from player when inmate/patient is released from custody at no charge to the inmate/patient and the NHDOC;
player shall be constructed with a clear plastic case comprised of no moving parts, lasers or recording devices;
visual screen to player shall be constructed with durable and shatter resistant clear plastic LCD color screen;
player shall be capable of receiving, sending and displaying approved NHDOC e-mail communication and photos with the capability of turning off this feature;
player shall be capable of being powered by batteries and/or AC adapter;
player shall provide the ability to search by genre, popularity, artist, decade and new releases;
player shall provide play modes: delete, repeat all or single song and shuffle capability;
Vendor shall allow the NHDOC to approve song catalog choices (custom content) i.e. non violent material;
player shall offer, display and play educational (audio books) and religious material approved by the NHDOC;
automatic shut off mechanism (security software) preventing downloads from any other electronic device or computer other than the kiosk;
shall offer foreign language translation capability; and
Vendor shall provide an operations manual free of charge to each inmate/patient that purchases an MP3 Player.

Cactus
02-25-2011, 09:29 AM
I also found something more on cassettes. For those who have cassette players, seems they'll still be around awhile. I'm hoping this article means that there will be a resurgence in marketing and manufacturing. Cassettes would be a much cheaper alternative than having to buy a (prison-priced) MP3 Player.
Cassette Tapes Get A West Coast Rewind (http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011/02/24/133995073/cassette-tapes-get-a-west-coast-rewind)

Lou103156
03-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I have been able to place an order to Pack Central located in CA to order cassettes. They do not have an internet site and are completely mail order but you can get pretty much anything you want and they are able to send to any prison in the USA. I ordered one tape and it cost 19.50 plus 4 dollars shipping charge. I was able to order a cataloge from them and they were very good in answering my emails asking questions. The email address is LeeCharalambous@packcentral.com