View Full Version : Lord Help Me( just quit smoking)

dexh23
08-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Everyone says to tell a lot of people when you quit smoking, that way you have to answer to everyone about it. Keeps you accountable. Well, everyone I just quit. Anyone with me? Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! Just kidding! Thanks all!!

Jamey

LaurieJ
08-09-2003, 10:20 PM
I have been trying to quit for quite some time now. I did for three months till my life flipped upside down. I bought my first pack today after a whole week. Help! I don't want to do this anymore but need an alternative stress reliever.

Hang in there Jamey, you can do it. Maybe we could have a support hot line here on this thread. If you have an urge post and one of us will get right back if we are online, to give you those encouraging words to just say "NOOOOOO"

Laura

dexh23
08-09-2003, 10:25 PM
You know something, Laura? That would be awesome. I'm going to make it a pledge that I have to come in here and talk about it, before I do anything. My girlfriend had to quit, and she wants to stay that way even though she might get out in a few months. I've been wanting to quit for a while and I figured now would be a good time. At least in some weird way, I would feel a little closer to her. I'll try to give a report in this thread once in a while if I haven't failed. Thanks again Laura, and I'll talk to you later!!

Jamey

LaurieJ
08-09-2003, 10:39 PM
Thanks, Jamey. My Joe tried to quit but where he is they even get to smoke in the dorms, so I know it is hard since the majority of population smokes. I had just finished writing to him about this very subject. I told him that it would probably help me if both of us were trying to overcome this but I understand his situation. For me, I really have no contact with anyone except the people here at PTO so this is where I come to for all my support for everything.

Laura

PixieQueen
08-10-2003, 12:07 AM
I quit 5 months ago--I've had a couple slip ups, but I'm doing pretty well. If I can do it--any of you can! :) Love--Helen

MyLife1020592
08-10-2003, 12:24 AM
I would love to try to quit smoking but I think that smoking keeps me sane every once in a while...I will quit when Craig gets home because we are going to try to have another baby...

dexh23
08-10-2003, 08:05 AM
The urge is on!! But I feel okay with it. Up to 12 hours now, only 2 1/2 more days until the nicotine is out of my system, then I just have to worry about the hand to mouth habit. Whew, I really want one right now! But I can do this, It's not too terrible just yet.

miz_pandora
08-10-2003, 10:19 AM
idont know if this will help anyone else but i quit recently n i got over the hump by swetting. i know it sounds gross but i would exercise and go to the tanner and for some reason it helped to "get it out" of my system just how i did it,,,,

LaurieJ
08-10-2003, 08:05 PM
How long does it take for the nicotine to get out of your system?

Good luck Jamey!

Congratulations to all that have conquered.

dexh23
08-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Supposedly three days, but the habit stays with you longer. It takes 21 days to form a habit. I'm having a really bad day today. It seems like everytime I try to quit things keep happening. Oh well, part of it I guess.

LaurieJ
08-10-2003, 08:22 PM
You know, I will be 29 this month and as awful as it sounds have been smoking since the age of 14. I quit through my pregnancy's but Jamey I'm like you. Everytime I say I'm quitting sure enough something stressful happens and I fire one up. I really hate it too. I don't like the way it makes my truck smell, or my clothes or my hair. You would think that would be enough of a motive, but still that mokey wants to jump on board. We can do this though. Just think of it as adding time to your life.

Laura

Chevygal55
08-11-2003, 12:48 AM
Maybe a scare tatic will help ya... I use to be a chain smoker. Smoked up to 4 packs a day. Yep that's right "4"! Grew a nice little tumor in my throat. Underwent 6 hrs of surgery of the physicians trying to remove this tumor that had attached itself to my wind pipe and thyroid. Well they managed to get it unattached from my windpipe but not my thyroid. So needless to say they had to remove it. Now I have the metabolism like a 95 yr. old woman! Fun huh?

Did this scare ya any? Just like to tell other smokers of my story in hopes it might save someone else from what I went thru... Good luck with your quest to stop!

LaurieJ
08-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Wow Chevy! That is enough to scare anyone. I am so sorry that you had to go through anything like that. I have alot of problems with my throat and vocal cords sometimes, not sure if they are caused by the "demon". I really want to quit and I believe I will. If after this time right now I will tell ya'll and someone anyone just yell at me for a little while.
Thanks,
Laura

freedom anjel
08-11-2003, 07:01 PM
You're calling on the right Name!! I'm hitting a year in November, with a few here and there, but nothing serious. I call on the Lord for help too!!

DeVora
08-11-2003, 08:30 PM
Hi everbody i almost had a year not smoking then my mother-in-law had someone slash all 4 of my tires. Because my stepkids want to live with me and not her. She had been herassing me calling 3-8 times a day and coming over and writing letter to my husband in jail telling him that i am not at home at night but i am at home. you all know what he would be thinking. so i have a week1/2 that i started again.
STRESS, STRESS,STRESS

BUT I AM PRAYING