View Full Version : Colorado Phone Systems???

gryphon175
08-18-2006, 01:47 AM
Hello everyone! I haven't been on for a while lately. So what have I been missing? I have some really good news. :) I got excepted on Sean's phone list. Only problem is, he has been trying to call collect and a recorded message keeps coming on to try his call again later. Does anyone know what that could mean? He suggested that I call CBS to find out what is going on, but after reading some posts in here, it sounds like it would be MCI that would handle the calls. Is this correct? This is getting so aggravating. Anyway, I called CBS and all it was, was a recorded message. Can anyone please help me? I haven't talked to him in over a year, all we have been able to do is write letters. And I do so want to hear his voice again. I am going to appreciate any info that I get. Thanks,
Brenda

seansbabyluv
08-19-2006, 04:28 AM
Hiya Brenda...long time no hear from!

I have no idea what CBS is. I always had to deal with Evercom. You'll have to call the facility and see who the long distance carrier is. Private facilities have a different one than DOC. MCI just got the contract for DOC back in January. You need to call their High Toll Dept. I never had a collect call block on my line. Do you have Qwest? Call them first and ask them if you have a block and see if they can remove it.

Otherwise, just send him money and he can order prepaid phone time. Then the line block won't matter because he's not calling collect. Prepaid is $5.05 a call and collect is over $7 so it's cheaper for him to call prepaid anyway. Good luck! :)

T&O
08-19-2006, 02:32 PM
I would suggest sending him money for a prepaid card as well. They can buy them in $1 increments from commissary.

I'm in Arkansas and he's in CO and the calls are also $5.05 for us if he calls with a prepaid card. Collect is over $20 per call.

Sending him money for the calls has definitely helped me budget the money for calls better and set a better calling schedule.

You still have to accept the call, but it doesn't cost anything on your end. He can even call your cell phone.

Hope that helps. :)

gryphon175
08-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks Cindy and T&O,
I have had to get a second job, so that's why it has been a while since I have been on. Now that Sean can call, it is probably a good thing I have it, too. :) CBS(Correctional Billing Services) is a division of Evercom, that is who Sean said handles this private prison's calls. He turned in kites to the phone moniter and they say that there are no blocks on my phone, that it should work. So I was wondering if I have to set up an account with Evercom first? I am going to be sending money for him to buy a phone card, but that will be this week sometime and I just want to talk to him before that, I really miss hearing his voice. I never thought something so small as a phone call could mean so much. Heck, you should see how excited I get just to get his letters!:D Oh well, I just may have to wait a little longer until I can get money on his books for a phone card. Any way, thanks a bunch for the info. I had already intended to send money for the phone card, but just thought it would be nice to talk to him before then. Wishing both of you and yours the very best. Thank you very much again!

T&O
08-19-2006, 08:20 PM
When my husband was first incarcerated I had a LOT of trouble fixing it where he could call me. He kept getting a message that there was a block on the phone. I called Sage and asked them to remove the block and there wasn't one on their end.

I personally did have to set up an account with Evercom (CBS) before he could call me. They had to remove the block on my phone number, not my phone provider, so maybe that's what you need to do too.

I totally understand wanting to talk to him as soon as you can. :)

galgrif
08-19-2006, 09:58 PM
I was racking my brain trying to figure out what CBS was......

I had to call them also, when my son was in the County jail, in fact, I think I had to pre-pay with them! And, it leaves a credit on your account if the money isn't used and then you have to figure out how to get your cash back. Try this number, it is something I came across the other day. 1-888-506-8407. If this number doesn't work and you can't find one let me know, I will dig out some old phone bills, I know it is on there. IF it does work, please let us all know for future reference.

gryphon175
08-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Thank you galgrif, but that wasn't the number that I needed. That is for Inmate Phone Solutions and while they handle some facilities in Colorado, Kit Carson isn't one of them. But believe me, I really do appreciate the effort. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I think I will just resign myself to the fact that I will have to wait until I can send Sean some money to put on his books. We have waited to talk for over a year, one more week should not harm us. Again, many thanks, and God Bless you and yours.

seansbabyluv
08-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Here's the link to them...the phone number you need to call is right there as well. I had to contact them because I had Liberty Bell instead of Qwest. Qwest is the only local phone company that will allow collect calls...that's why I wondered if you had Qwest. CBS and Evercom are the same thing...most people know them as Evercom...Good Luck!

http://www.correctionalbillingservices.com/

gryphon175
08-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks again, Cindy. I have called that number and all i get is a recording to set up an account, which I did last Thursday and it still isn't working as of today. But, I did get some money sent to Sean, so maybe we will be talking by this time next week. :) One can only hope. Again, thank you.
Brenda

seansbabyluv
08-23-2006, 03:57 AM
No worries Brenda. It's been quite awhile since I've had to deal with them. I seem to remember getting a recording as well, but it used to give you the option to speak to a "live" person. I guess they got tired of getting yelled at (their own fault), so they stopped talking to people.

I set up an account with them too and sent them money and they could never get the account to work...had me go to Qwest, who had me go to some dinky telco in Oregon...blah blah blah...I finally had to make Evercom refund my $100.00 which they didn't want to give up! But I told them either refund it or I report them to my bank as ripping me off (that's the one nice thing about debit cards and credit cards) and they finally did. As if they don't make enough of a profit at our expense as it is!?!?!?!

At least you got money on his books and he can call like that...it's a lot cheaper that way. Is your Sean at Crowley? Be prepared for them to not "turn" on his phone card until Friday at 5 pm. AVCF does that (have no idea why), but the phone person "forgot" to upload the file the week before the 4th and no one had their phone time applied for the weekend...man those guys were PISSED...thank goodness they had to come in and work on Monday cause Tuesday was a holiday and we were thinking they wouldn't get it fixed until Wednesday...

Ok, off to get ready for work...have a great day!

gryphon175
08-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks Cindy,
No, my Sean is in Kit Carson Correctional Center in Burlington, but it is run by the same company-CCA. Remember how I said that all I got was a recording to set up an account? Well, the account is set up with a limit of $50.00. When I called that number again, I got all this information and the option to speak with a live representative, but it was already after hours. I'm not sure how they work the phone cards at this prison. I have to work my second job this weekend, so I hope if he calls, he does it early enough. I just want to talk to him so much. Anyways, I'm going to go for now so that I can write to my baby before it gets too late. Hope your day was good at work.

gryphon175
08-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Well, it seems that CBS-Evercom doesn't have a contract with my local phone company so there is a block on my phone. I called them and they said that I would need to pre-pay. Okay, so I asked how much it would cost for the phone calls from his facility and because we are in a local area code, they said it would only be $2.46 a call, no matter how many minutes we talk. So now I am waiting because Sean received his money and ordered his canteen and will be getting his phone card on Thursday. I want to see which way ends up being cheaper before I invest $50.00 into a pre-paid account. I can't wait for Thursday so that I can receive my first call from him. I miss him so much. Thank you Cindy, Galgrif, and T & O. You are all the best. God Bless you and your families.:) Have a great day!
Brenda

gryphon175
08-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Okay, so Sean got his phone card today and tried to call. I know that he tried because I got the "you are receiving a free call from an inmate, please press 1 to accept," then the "this call may be monitered and recorded." But nothing else. It was like dead air and then I heard a click and got the dial tone. Nothing else. He tried like four times, then called his sister and had her call me to tell me that he tried, not knowing that I was getting the calls. He told his sister that the calls were not going through. Has this happened to anyone else? And if so, what did you do to fix it? Please, I need all the help I can get.
Thanks,
Brenda

seansbabyluv
08-31-2006, 09:02 PM
Awww Brenda girl I am sooo sorry. I know you've been waiting forever to talk to him! :(

All he can do is see if the problem is at the facility. Is he calling your cell phone? I never had any issues with Sean calling from Crowley, but my home phone was always forwarded to me cell. I just can't think of anything else that could cause a problem...

I feel for you...when Sean was in punitive seg there, I never knew when they would let him call. The hardest day was the day he went into seg...he called every night and when he didn't call that night, I did not sleep at all! Let me know what you find out...

gryphon175
09-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Hello again,
Well, I just got a letter from Sean yesterday. It seems that every time he tried to call, all he got was static. He sent a kite into the phone guy. We'll see how far that gets us. He had put just my home phone on his phone list. So now he is adding my cell. Can they not have both home and cell #'s on their phone list for the same person? All this time, I thought he had added both #'s. Now we are not sure if there is any time left on the phone card, so I don't know when I will be able to talk to him now. The next couple of weeks are my biggest bill payments, so I know that I won't be sending him any more money for a while. Oh well, you know the saying, "What doesn't kill ya, only makes you stronger." After dealing with all of this prison s**t, I am going to be a Wonder Woman. Hahaha! Thanks Cindy, I don't know what I would do without you and your support. You keep me grounded. Thanks to everyone that responded, this is the best place to be.
Happy Labor Day to all.
Brenda

seansbabyluv
09-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Brenda,

He should be able to add both numbers to his list, I'm just not sure how they do the cell phone. Both of them I believe just have to show your home address as the service address on the bill.

So sorry about your weekend, I know it sucks totally. Hopefully they'll get this resolved fairly quickly and you can talk to him soon.

They should refund whatever phone calls he made to your phone since the static issue wasn't his fault. Sean and I had a lot of issues with the phones at Denver County Jail, what with buzzing and static and stuff like that, and Evercom did not want to refund those calls because the jail's responsible for maintaining the phone equipment. I'm happy to say we never had problems at Crowley while he was there either. Maybe with all the rain they've had in down there in the last couple of weeks, it caused a problem with the phone lines.

gryphon175
09-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks again Cindy, as a matter of fact, the night he tried to call, we were having a big thunderstorm. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I did call Evercom-CBS, and they told me that they don't do the phone cards so that Sean will have to deal with it at the prison. I'll keep you posted on my saga as it unfolds. Thanks again for everything.
Brenda

gryphon175
09-05-2006, 06:18 PM
How's about a big shout! :D I got my first phone call from my honey bear. It was so good to hear his voice. I am floating on cloud nine right now. He called me at 3:00pm which just happened to be my break time at work. The only problem is, the call didn't last long enough. Now we're out of time on the phone card and I have to wait until he gets another one. Oh, by the way, he did call me on my cell phone not the home phone, and it went through with no problems. So, thank you very much for all your help and advice. I'm gonna go do some more daydreaming about my man's sexy voice. :thumbsup: Have a great day or night!
Brenda

galgrif
09-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Awww Brenda, that's wonderful news! Now he just has to keep buying that phone time so you can hear his sexy voice more often. :):):)

seansbabyluv
09-05-2006, 10:02 PM
WOOHOO!!! Congrats Brenda! I'm glad you finally got to talk to him, I know how hard it can be not to talk to him...:hifive:

Way to go!

gryphon175
09-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Thank you galfrif and Cindy, look at me, it's the day after the call and I'm still smiling. It really is amazing the little things we take for granted, like hearing your loved ones voice on the phone. Man, I can't believe how good I am feeling just having heard him say "I love you!" Can't wait til next week now. I have to send him the money for phone time, so I can only do so much a week, but at least we will be able to talk once a week, and that's a heck of a lot better than not at all. Thanks for all your support. You ladies are the best.
Brenda

gryphon175
09-10-2006, 10:32 PM
So I didn't get a phone call this week, didn't have the money to send to him in time. But I will get a call this Thursday. I can't wait. It is kind of a drag, because now that I have heard his voice, I just want more. But I can't afford to send money every single week. Oh well, we've made it over a year with just letters, I just should be thankful to talk to him on the phone when ever we can. I just thought I would let you all know what is going on up til now. God Bless you all!
Brenda

gryphon175
09-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Woo Hoo! I got my second phone call and I am so totally happy. Well except for the thing about the 40% that they are taking out of the money I send Sean. But that's in another post. Other wise, it was a great conversation, but it sure didn't last long enough. We only get a 20 minute phone card and the dumb call only lasts for 14:35 minutes. That really sucks. I so didn't want it to end. I miss him so much. We did a little talking about getting married, and how we were both doing, and about the restitution thing and then it seemed like the call was over. It really didn't last long enough. I think that they should let the friends and families buy phone time to put on the phone cards that the inmates already have. Just like you can when you buy them out here. Now I have to wait another two weeks before I can talk to him again. Oh well, I'm still happy.:D

seansbabyluv
09-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Oh no girlfriend. They are either lying to him or he didn't use all the money you sent him on phone time. It is statutory, 20% goes toward restitution and child support. Before you send him any more money, I would tell him you want him to send you his canteen order. Sean sends his to me as well as the phone time statement he gets every month so I know EXACTLY what he is spending MY money on.

Find that out first, if Crowley is withholding 40%, then contact Inmate Banking and let them know. I would not contact them unless you know for sure they are keeping that amount.

Sean sends me his inmate bank statement every month. It has my deposits as well as his inmate pay, the debits for canteen AND the debits for the child support and restitution. Inmate banking will not provide you with that information, it's private. But if Sean is on the up and up, he should have no problem sending it you.

The in state phone calls cost $5.05 for 20 minutes, we always get 20:35. If your call was shorter, then he didn't even have enough money on his prepaid card for a full call.

By the way, prepaid card is a misnomer. They each get a PIN# that they enter into the phone. Then each approved phone# is assigned a speed dial #. My home# was 1, my cell was 2, his brother was 3 and so on. Anyone can send him money and he orders phone time on his canteen just like he orders stamps. They credit his PIN# with the amount. That's how the calls are made. At least that's the way it is at AVCF and as far as I know that's how Sean called me when he was at Crowley. He did have a debit card for the pop machine and that was all. At AVCF they buy tokens for the pop machine. I'll find out more this weekend when I talk to Sean.

Hugs!

gryphon175
09-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Aw, Cindy, you are the best. Thank you so much for your advice in this and my other post. I will find out what is going on, one way or another. Sean hasn't lied to me yet, that I know of, and I really don't want to believe that he is lying to me now, but man if he is, that will be the end of all that. I am writing to him now, and I am going to tell him the advice a friend gave me. I will see what his reaction is to that. I am going to tell him that I need a copy of the kite he sent to KCCC's business office with the reply about how much they are taking out and for what and a copy of his inmate bank statement and that I am going to contact Jeanne if things are what he says they are. Please let us know about the letter or petition when you get it ready. I am still going to sign it, even if Sean turns out to be dishonest.
Hugs to you too.
Thanks,
Brenda

seansbabyluv
09-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Brenda girl!

I just want you to know I'll protect everyone in or out of the joint. I've been on many visits and I have seen guys with different girls on different days who have no clue about each other. I've also seen very unlikely relationships, where the woman is quite a bit older and may very well be sending to money to someone who could care less about her.

Sean has seen mailroom people switch letters...the envelopes are unsealed when the inmates mail them, and the mailroom (inmates) have been known to send the gf's letter to the wife and the wife's letter to the gf. Now that was some funny s*** yo! Unless of course you were the wife or gf!

The first visit I had with Sean at AVCF, a girl showed up with a newborn baby girl...the guy she was seeing was there with his WIFE!

OMG...the girlfriend threw away all the food she bought him and told him to take a good look at his daughter cause that was the last time he would ever see her...that was back in March...of course a couple of weeks ago she was visiting so it looks like he managed to separate the two of them...and ya know? THAT GIRL IS JUST PLAIN DUMB! Not to mention totally disrespectful to his wife. I don't know why women think it's a good thing to have a contest over some stupid man...me I'd be flying to Florida and laying on the topless beach with new perky boobs in a New York hot second! :D

gryphon175
09-14-2006, 10:07 PM
OMG, Cindy, perky boobs and all! That is too funny. I really don't think that Sean is lying but you never know. As far as the phone time, he probably called his sister or someone else, but he didn't say that, he said that we should have the full 20 minutes. I think if he was lying, he would have just told me that $10.00 dollars only buys fifteen minutes or even ten minutes, but he didn't. As far as the restitution thing, I believe him that they told him that. I used to work at that prison so I know some of the stuff that they do just to try to push the inmates to do something stupid. One way or the other, I will find out. And if he is lying to me after all this time and all that I have done for him and given up for him, it's bye-bye time. I have been living by myself for quite a few months, so it's not like I have lost anything. Well, just my heart. But I have been told that I'm a cold B**tch anyway, so without the heart, maybe it will be true. As always, thanks for the perk up. And I am saying it again. YOU ARE THE BEST!
God Bless You!
Brenda

galgrif
09-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Topless beaches? Perky boobs? Sounds like a mexican vacation in the planning! When are we going?

Hey, Bren...I am trying to make light of the situation, but I would there "IN A NEW YORK SECOND!"

NotSoPatiently
09-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Hey Brenda
Please do not jump to alot of conclusions yet. They have Eds money all messed up, although it does look as though they did only keep the 20% until the end when they kept a lump sum, but it sure did not get posted in the way that it should have. There is possibly still a giant smile at the end of the rainbow. I thought several times that Ed had lied to me about stuff like phone time ect., but once I recieved the papers, it seems he has not been. I also thought he was lying once in Community when they would not let him send money home, I thought he was just hording it all, but once again, I now have all his budget papers where he had requested extra money out to send home and it was denied. When his ISP first started we had some issues with him not wantin g to send me any money but with a threat of divorce, that changed very quickly. He now sends a little to me every week or pays for my entire visit when we go to Alamosa, gas and all. So keep the faith until the documents do not match. Cuz they may just end up matching everything he is saying as mine pretty much did.

gryphon175
09-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks Tracie, I am not going to jump to any conclusions without solid evidence to back it up. I really don't think Sean would lie to me. He hasn't so far. And I am going to stand by him until I have concrete evidence to state otherwise. Like I said, I used to work at this prison, so I know all about the stupid, idiotic, sh*t that it gets away with. But what can we do? I'm open for any suggestions.
Brenda

seansbabyluv
09-15-2006, 01:45 PM
I don't think he's lying either, but better to know now than later...too many "players" in there do just that!

We never had issues either at Crowley or AVCF, so Sean will have to be the one to pursue it. He may be able to release copies of it to you with a signed form giving you permission, but I doubt it since it's all confidential financial information. Once they get that money, it's not yours anymore, it's theirs...I would still call Inmate Banking yourself and complain about the way KCCC is handling the debits on his account. See if they'll look into it for you and make sure you tell them that they're taking out 40%. CCA is notorius for not doing what they're supposed to. I would also call DOC and get either the phone to PPMU or their email. Email is better because you can document EVERYTHING. I had it, but deleted it when Sean went to AVCF...sorry! :cool:

One more place you can call is the State Auditor's Office. CCA got audited and FINED for not handling the 20% deduction correctly. They weren't even deducting it at Crowley for a whole year or so. Have fun!

miss_sterling
02-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Im about to send off my second attempt of mail to Colorado from outside of the US. So I dont waste $150 again, ive been reading all the forums but still ahve some questions and hoping you guys can help me. I was going to send him his two favourite books from Barnes and Noble but one of those books is only available in hardcover. Can they received hard cover books or only soft cover? And also with the care packages and phone cards etc am I allowed to send them (well order them online for him) if I am not his next of kin or his fiancee? Or can they receive those from anyone? Thanks for all your help guys!

seansbabyluv
02-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Hiya,

Yes they can receive both hard and soft cover books. Care packages are quarterly, each facility has a dollar limit that you can order, but anyone can send them as long as all of you don't exceed the dollar limit.

In order for him to order phone time and canteen, you just send money via Western Union or J-Pay. Both are online and J-Pay may be cheaper.

The State will take out 20% if he owes restitution and/or child support. So you have to plan for that part...if you send $100.00 he gets $80.00. You'll need to ask him if he has either one. He will have court costs so more than likely he'll be tagged 20% for that.

The Administrative Reg for Mail is here:

https://exdoc.state.co.us/secure/combo/weblets/index.php/regulations/home

Go the left side and click on Facility Security and the AR# is 300-38.

mom2twinboys
02-06-2007, 12:11 PM
I wqas wondering about the care packages too because he said that he could get one from some website but when I went to the website it wasnt the right place. If you could possibly direct me to the correct palce Iwould appreciate it.

seansbabyluv
02-06-2007, 12:14 PM
First day to submit orders is Feb. 12 and the last day is March 9...you won't be able to access anything on the site til the 12th.

www.coloradocarepackage.com (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/www.coloradocarepackage.com)

miss_sterling
02-08-2007, 01:27 AM
Thank you! I dont know what I'd do without this site now! :))

irshnrse
02-08-2007, 12:59 PM
has anyone had a problem with MCI? My husband is at DRDC and I am billed for collect calls through my local provider. I set up everything with the "high toll" dept and they say all is good. Today I receive a call from MCI saying that now all calls have to be billed thru them and I need to set it up. I have been on hold with "inmate customer service" for 43 minutes and counting. I am about to go crazy.

mom2twinboys
02-08-2007, 05:25 PM
First day to submit orders is Feb. 12 and the last day is March 9...you won't be able to access anything on the site til the 12th.

www.coloradocarepackage.com (http://www.coloradocarepackage.com)
thank you so much. When he told his mom the web site he left out the colorado. Might be why I couldnt find anything. He's such a nerd.

seansbabyluv
02-08-2007, 05:48 PM
has anyone had a problem with MCI? My husband is at DRDC and I am billed for collect calls through my local provider. I set up everything with the "high toll" dept and they say all is good. Today I receive a call from MCI saying that now all calls have to be billed thru them and I need to set it up. I have been on hold with "inmate customer service" for 43 minutes and counting. I am about to go crazy.

Any luck? I only billed through MCI up to $100. I never set up an account to be billed directly, Qwest always took care of it.

You might want to call DOC and see if DRDC is scheduled to change from MCI to VAC...all facilities are supposed to be transferred over by the middle of February and I don't think DRDC will be any different. MCI totally SUCKS BTW...prepaid is so much easier and cheaper!

irshnrse
02-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Well, I had a little luck. After being on hold for 50 minutes, they told me what I had to do. They said that they are not billing thru 3rd parties anymore and that I had to set up an acct thru them. I had to go fax a copy of my phone bill and they said it takes 2 business days to set it up. I think my husband is going to be at DRDC for quite awhile waiting to be transferred. What does VAC stand for, and I will call and ask them in the morning if they are changing too. Thank you so much. I put money on his books to prepay, but he is behind the rotation. He got his first commissary today.

seansbabyluv
02-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Update on CIPS Vendor/Carrier Changes January 25, 2007
The vendor changes to CIPS at all State Correctional Facilities, Brush and CMRC (see conversion note on CMRC below) have been delayed due to the necessary voice circuits not being installed yet at all sites. All sites must be installed before the system can be converted 100% from MCI to the new CIPS vendor, VAC. Until the conversion is complete calls will be carried by MCI and VAC; which carrier depends on the call type. MCI is continuing to carry the inter-lata (from one CO calling are to another CO calling area), inter-state and international; VAC is carrying local and intra-lata calls. It is anticipated that no later than February 28, 2007, all sites will have the necessary infrastructure installed and all call types will be carried by VAC. Until the complete conversion, persons who want to receive collect calls that are carried by MCI may have to establish a direct bill collect account with MCI; if you have a direct bill collect account with MCI you will need to keep that account; the number to contact MCI Customer Service is 1-800-231-0193. If you need a direct bill or advance pay collect account for VAC carried calls, the VAC Customer Service number is 1-800-913-6097. When the transition is complete, any direct bill or advance pay collect accounts will have to be set up with VAC. Once a cut-over date from MCI to VAC is known, CIPS will notify the offenders who can notify their family, friends and other outside contacts.

The private facilities at Bent County, Crowley County, Huerfano County and Kit Carson County have been converted to CIPS over the past two months. All calls from these private facilities are carried by VAC only. The CMRC private facility will be converted totally to VAC on February 1, 2007.

irshnrse
02-09-2007, 10:13 AM
You are awesome. Thank you very much!

doll_face
02-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Oh man, This is a bummer hearing about phone problems with some of you that have people in kit carson. I just gave my number for my friend to call, i really hope that i dont have these problems too.

irshnrse
03-02-2008, 03:18 PM
This thread was pretty old. Since they switched to VAC, I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). :)