View Full Version : Benefits For Inmates Upon Release???

deesmacky
08-12-2006, 02:42 PM
My husband sent me this a while back and I found it again the other day. Now how true it is I don't know. I will Post this information here and maybe someone who has went through this will know if this is correct.

1. Parole Office- Report within 24 hours after your release with your parole papers. Obtain a 310-40 form from the parole officer while you are there.

2. Social Security Office- Report within 48 hours after your release. Apply under Supplement Security Insurance (SSI) for Emergency Support Benefits. See a counselor and complete the SSI application. Show the counselor your parole papers (310-40) and you will receive a check in the mail for $930.00 the first two months after incarceration.

3. Department of Health and Social Services- Apply for an immediate emergency food debit card ($180.00) and education financial aid. 1-800-643-0245 (www.score.org (http://www.score.org))

4. Department of Human Services- Apply for an immediate emergency food debit card ($110.00) and sign up for general welfare ($150.00 immediately; $285.00 per month for as long as you are unemployed for up to two years.)

5. Department of Vocational Rehabilitation- Possible financial GRANTS to acquire trade related equipment and tools.

6. Texas Rehabilitation Commission (TRC): Monday Orientation Day- See a counselor to determine your needs and vocational abilities.

Apply for GRANTS to go to Vocational School and College Apply for GRANTS of.
$300.00 for work clothes.
$400.00 to obtain casual clothes.
$500.00 for tools as required in the learning of a Trade. $1,900.00 for a down payment on an automobile for use in a trade.
TRC Inquiries Unit
4900 N. Lamar Blvd.
(512) 424-4060
(512) 424-4065 Fax
Austin, TX 78751-2399
Project RIO- Job assistance.
TRC- Apply for a federally insured LOAN, with proof of employment, to assist in rebuilding credit. Acquire as large a loan as possible, investing excess funds as collateral with the lending institution.

Hopeful Grandma
08-13-2006, 03:17 AM
I sure hope this true information. I have one coming out soon too and I am raising her two children so don't have a lot of extra money to help her get started.

DagosBrighteyes
08-13-2006, 03:19 AM
Dees does it say whether it matters if the parolee is married or not. I wonder if this still applies since we are married and I am gainfully employeed???

tas
08-13-2006, 08:14 AM
We really need an "Urban Legends and Myths" sticky around here!

Project Rio is a legitimate program to help ex-offenders (I believe if they are under 25 years old). I doubt they make "large" loans of any type to anyone though.

"Score.org" is part of the Small Business Administration. They are a group of retired business people that help counsel people wanting to start a new business. They don't have anything to do with Health and Human Services.

Texas Rehabilitation Commission deals only with the disabled. Having a record doesn't qualify you as disabled.

Felons don't qualify for SSI based on having been released from prison. You must be 65 or disabled.

It's tough enough to start over on the outside. I keep looking for programs to help my husband when he gets home. It's just a shame that the same rumours keep getting passed around and get peoples hopes up, only to disappoint them later. There have been alot of threads on PTO about these "programs and benefits" and their debunking as myths.

But do check into Project Rio, now that one is real!

jojacks
08-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Project Rio has been talking to my grandson - he is 19 and wants to be an underwater welder. They told him they would pay for his schooling. They have asked for his birth certificate. Don't know if that means anything or not.

a_coleman
08-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Also, if they were convicted of a drug offense of any kind, they WILL NOT give them any foodstamps at all.

DagosBrighteyes
08-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Project RIO will help any parolee or newly released find a job or give him job assistance, such as leads. R.I.O. stands for reintegration of offenders.

PalmviewPrincess
08-13-2006, 11:47 PM
I did a google search and typed it "Project Rio" and this is what it gave me. This is the link if u all wanna look around the site... http://www.twc.state.tx.us/svcs/rio.html

Project RIO

(Re-Integration of Offenders)

Texas is not without its success stories. Project RIO (Reintegration of Offenders) through the Texas Workforce Commission provides help to freed offenders, and the prison system offers vocational training to inmates. The connections are obvious: a job means a better chance to succeed. -Austin American Statesman, Editorial August 22, 2003

Project RIO is administered by the Texas Workforce Commission in collaboration with Local Workforce Development Boards, the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ), the Windham School District and The Texas Youth Commission (TYC). The project provides a link between education, training and employment during incarceration with employment, training and education after release.
The program is designed to reduce recidivism through employment. Numerous studies have shown reduced recidivism rates for employed ex-offenders. Even when one takes into account other factors such as age, risk score, race/ethnicity and type of previous offense, post-release employment reduced rearrests and reincarcerations.
Services are offered to program participants pre- and post-release. An individualized treatment plan is developed to identify a career path for the offender and to guide placement decisions. Prior to release, a comprehensive evaluation is conducted to assess the needs of the offender and assist in the selection and placement in Windham, college, TDCJ and TYC programs. The evaluation process is a multi-step approach that includes information gathering, goal-setting, program placement and offender self-assessment.

Project RIO staff encourage participants to take advantage of educational and vocational services and assist offenders in obtaining documents necessary for employment. Unit or facility staff also provide placement services to give offenders practical work experience in their areas of training."He told me he'd prove himself in a short period, and he was 100 percent right...He's probably our lead guy in the shop" -David Wendt, owner of Nailhead Spur in Llano, quoted in Texas Workforce Solutions, July 2005, speaking about his Project RIO Employee. After release, TWC Project RIO staff provide ex-offenders with individualized workforce development services including job preparation and job search assistance. RIO participants attend structured job search workshops that focus on basic skills such as completing a work application, preparing a resume and performing in a mock interview. However, the most important aspect of the TWC Project RIO program is ex-offender employment as soon as possible after release.
Project RIO staff ensure that potential employers are aware of and take advantage of special incentives for hiring releasees. TWC Project RIO staff certify prospective employees for the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (http://www.twc.state.tx.us/svcs/wotc/wotc.html) program which provides a tax incentive to employers for hiring economically disadvantaged ex-offenders. Project RIO also makes available free fidelity bonding services (http://www.twc.state.tx.us/svcs/fidelitybonding.html) to the employer community, making the employment of ex-offenders and adjudicated youth more attractive.
Project RIO Strategic Plan Fiscal Years 2006-2007 (http://www.twc.state.tx.us/svcs/rio_plan_06.pdf) (PDF: 1.1 MB)
For additional information call:1-800-453-8140
or contact:
Texas Workforce Commission
Project RIO Staff
101 E. 15th Street
Austin, TX 78778

jessnkat
08-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Project Rio is a legitimate program to help ex-offenders (I believe if they are under 25 years old). I doubt they make "large" loans of any type to anyone though.

My husband is 44 years old and although Project RIO wasn't much help on his finding a job while he was still in Texas, they DID pay for his steel-toed work boots that he needed for the job he found on his own. They also sent him to several locations to apply - just nothing came through for him. So, I don't believe that age is a factor for them.

As far as the rest goes....you know that old saying about when something sounds too good to be true???

Willsgirl
08-14-2006, 09:00 PM
No age is not a factor, it is open for all ages, since it is done thru TWC.

key jo
08-23-2006, 07:22 AM
My husband sent me the same exact handout. Did your husband get it in the Changes class? I want to say that's where my hubby received it and I just don't believe any of it.

Conspicuous
08-23-2006, 10:07 AM
1. Parole Office- Report within 24 hours after your release with your parole papers. Obtain a 310-40 form from the parole officer while you are there.

2. Social Security Office- Report within 48 hours after your release. Apply under Supplement Security Insurance (SSI) for Emergency Support Benefits. See a counselor and complete the SSI application. Show the counselor your parole papers (310-40) and you will receive a check in the mail for $930.00 the first two months after incarceration.
(IT IS VERY HARD TO GET SSI BUT I WOULD JUST TRY, WHILE YOUR THERE DONT FORGET TO GET YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD PAROLE WILL REQUIRE YOU TO GET IT)

If you should go to any of these places I would take this paper especially if TDCJ gave it to you in the CHANGES class!

3. Department of Health and Social Services- Apply for an immediate emergency food debit card ($180.00) and education financial aid. 1-800-643-0245
(THIS IS TRUE THEY WILL HELP WITH FOOD!)

4. Department of Human Services- Apply for an immediate emergency food debit card ($110.00) and sign up for general welfare ($150.00 immediately; $285.00 per month for as long as you are unemployed for up to two years.)
(THIS IS TRUE TO BUT IT CANT BE A DRUG RELATED OFFENSE, THEY WILL ALSO SEND YOU TO TWC TO HELP YOU FIND A JOB AND REQUIRE YOU TO GO AND IF YOU DONT THEN NO MORE FOOD HELP)

5. Department of Vocational Rehabilitation- Possible financial GRANTS to acquire trade related equipment and tools.
(THEY SAY POSSIBLE GRANTS, SO I AM SURE THEY HAVE NOTHING)

6. Texas Rehabilitation Commission (TRC): Monday Orientation Day- See a counselor to determine your needs and vocational abilities.
(YOU DONT HAVE TO BE PHYSICALLY DISABLED, IF YOU HAVE A LEARNING DISABILITY THEY WILL HELP)

Apply for GRANTS to go to Vocational School and College Apply for GRANTS of.
$300.00 for work clothes.
$400.00 to obtain casual clothes.
$500.00 for tools as required in the learning of a Trade. $1,900.00 for a down payment on an automobile for use in a trade.
TRC – Inquiries Unit
4900 N. Lamar Blvd.
(512) 424-4060
(512) 424-4065 Fax
Austin, TX 78751-2399
Project RIO- Job assistance.
TRC- Apply for a federally insured LOAN, with proof of employment, to assist in rebuilding credit. Acquire as large a loan as possible, investing excess funds as collateral with the lending institution.
(I AM SURE THEY WILL TELL YOU IF THEY HAVE FUNDS AVAILABLE)

deesmacky
08-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Yes, they gave it to him when he took that class.

scarlettmom7872
08-27-2006, 10:04 AM
This would be awesome if it were true, but I am with the majority here, I just don't believe it!!! I will try to do some "investigating" and report back to ya'll if I find something out!

kargirl
08-29-2006, 07:44 PM
I have not heard of all those things. The parole officer came to my house to check it out to see if my husband could come back here. He did say when he gets out he has to report within 24 hours of being set free. He did not tell me any of those things and we probably with not qualify for anything because I work. That may be for someone whose is coming out with no one to turn to, but I am not sure. This is a first for me too.:o

rklafka
09-08-2006, 10:14 AM
I am an ex-offender and have been home for a little over two years now. We even got that info when I was there. I tried all of it when I got home and I did not have a drug related case. The only thing that really helped me was the emergency food help. Yes you must report with in 24 hours to your parole officer with no excpetions or you will be going back. The first day back after my report with the PO I looked into all the above. Project RIO is available but do not put much faith in it. I have 5 months left on parole and counting the days down. If I can help anyone on the inside or outside I will be happy to. Understand that paper the got with all the information of what is available is something that has been passed around for years and years. To be honest do not expect much help from the state. The really do not care. You can get the help with emergency food. I got mine the same day.