View Full Version : Trying to find court records that do not cost

Buccaneer
08-10-2006, 10:25 PM
I live in Fl. I can look up anyone in the county court records for free here but I am having a hard time looking into court records in La. without them wanting money. Is that the way it is?

MsRaymond
08-11-2006, 02:09 PM
I live in Fl. I can look up anyone in the county court records for free here but I am having a hard time looking into court records in La. without them wanting money. Is that the way it is?

hi Buc...didn't want to leave your post hanging, but unfortunately, *yes* that is how it is here in the ole state of Louisiana. its hard to get any kind of information about anything dealing with the "system" whether you have to pay or not. I wish you good luck in finding information you looking for here in Louisiana, but I too wish that louisiana can open up and share alot of information on things dealing with courts, prisons, etc... but good luck to you

adbrick
08-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately yes. Like the saying, "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." It also applies to Louisiana.

Even though it is all public information, Louisiana is very difficult to find out anything. It seems the only way to get any info is to actually phyically go to the parish clerk of court and request and pay for the information. And even then you might encounter a few stumbling blocks.

Unlike most other states LA puts very little, only the basic info, on the internet.

Good luck.

Ericalex
08-11-2006, 03:18 PM
If you're looking for information that pertains to a certain inmate, then the inmate has to request it through DOC or the county clerk. When I tried to get my hubby's rap sheet or anything else through inmate services, they informed me that he would have to request it and then send it to me. It's really aggravating. But if you're trying to do legal research, there is a website called LexisNexis (I think) that has hundreds of case law regarding the Court of Appeals in Louisiana.

DoingTimeinLove
08-11-2006, 06:30 PM
If you tell me what parish the records are in I have a list of all parishes clerk of court offices. This way you can call the clerk of courts and see if anyone would help you. I had to go to the clerk of courts office myself and it costs me a dollar per sheet to have copies made. It wasnt a problem tho. Since you are in another state, they may be able to mail you the copies after reciept of a money order paying for the copies beforehand. Dont fall into the online trap of "pay now for court records" .. that is bogus. Louisiana keeps all records of inmates confidential. If you are looking for a rap sheet the only way to get that is thru the inmate. Unless you are a victim, then I think you get special consideration. Anyways.. let me know if i can help.

chasityrisner
08-13-2006, 01:43 AM
can anyone give me any information on the basile, louisiana rehab program for doc inmates?
its only a 3 month program and i was wondering how long it takes to get my husband there?
is there a long waiting list?
any other info about this would gr8ly b appreciated
thanks

chasityrisner
08-13-2006, 01:46 AM
If you tell me what parish the records are in I have a list of all parishes clerk of court offices. This way you can call the clerk of courts and see if anyone would help you. I had to go to the clerk of courts office myself and it costs me a dollar per sheet to have copies made. It wasnt a problem tho. Since you are in another state, they may be able to mail you the copies after reciept of a money order paying for the copies beforehand. Dont fall into the online trap of "pay now for court records" .. that is bogus. Louisiana keeps all records of inmates confidential. If you are looking for a rap sheet the only way to get that is thru the inmate. Unless you are a victim, then I think you get special consideration. Anyways.. let me know if i can help.
elizabeth,
i see u seem to b doing time in love also
scott is doing the time but seems i am doing the time with him
anyway-----------------
what keeps your strength up?
how do u hold on?

DoingTimeinLove
08-13-2006, 08:43 PM
elizabeth,
i see u seem to b doing time in love also
scott is doing the time but seems i am doing the time with him
anyway-----------------
what keeps your strength up?
how do u hold on?

My fiance is what keeps my strength up actually. He is my rock. He is very supportive and active in our lives and makes sure I keep my head up. I believe that our communication is what keeps me sane. We are lucky and talk on the phone every day.. usually at least 3 times a day and can be as many as 12 times a day. We talk about everything, anything, and nothing. We share our thoughts, feelings, daily lives with each other as much as we can.. regardless of how the other may react. We keep things as real as we can. Plus keeping busy helps.. between the kids, Mike, 1 full time job, 1 part time job, and PTO.. I have my hands full. I think that one I accepted what was going on and accepted there was nothing I could do to fix this problem.. i had relief. I realized that everything happens for a reason and this is what needed to happen in our lives so we could see what we had together. Granted... i have my difficult days. He says I'm usually good for one major breakdown a month... but thats ok. I remember when I first came to PTO, I saw all over the site the quote.. "today is just one step closer to him coming home" and thought I can't see it that way. Now, since I have accepted things for what they are and know I can't get him home any time sooner than what he has, I do see it as today is one day down. I believe that as long as I have his love and he has mine we can make it thru this and more!