Accountability and Public Safety of the Standing Committee on Judiciary,
Rep. Tonya Schuitmaker, Chair

Date: 08/14/2006

Time: 10:30 AM

Place: Monroe County Courthouse
125 East 2nd St.
Monroe, MI 48161
1st Floor Board of Commissioners Chambers

Members: Rep. Schuitmaker, Rep. Stakoe, Rep. Jones, Rep. Smith, Rep.
Bieda

Agenda:
Purpose of the Hearings

The committee is in response to the failures in our correctional system,
exposed by murderer Patrick Selepak.

To get the expert opinions of those involved on a daily basis in our
criminal system.

To evaluate system failures through a thorough review of our corrections
system, and discuss uncertainties in the law that could lead to
problematic situations.

OR ANY BUSINESS PROPERLY BEFORE THIS COMMITTEE.

To view text of legislation go to
http://www.michiganlegislature.org/mileg.asp?page=Bills

Individuals who wish to bring written testimony need to supply a minimum
of thirty copies for distribution.

Individuals needing special accommodations to participate in the meeting
may contact the Chair's office.

ACCOUNTABILITY AND PUBLIC SAFETY Committee Clerk: Malika Abdur-Rashid
Phone: 517-373-7256

Schedule changes or cancellations available at
www.MichiganLegislature.org or 24 hours at (517) 373-8140.

mrsdragoness
08-10-2006, 06:26 AM
I sure wish I could make it there!! Anyone in the Monroe area who possibly can? I'd LOVE to hear what they have to say!

Annette050305
08-14-2006, 09:25 PM
I will be going

mabear
08-15-2006, 06:30 AM
There have already been two of these meetings. The ones in Saginaw and Macomb have already taken place. The one is Monroe was yesterday and if anyone can make it there will be one in Lansing on Aug. 23rd.

Special subcommittee on Selepak failures to meet statewide. Local officials throughout state to discuss failures of government and solutions to systematic parole problems.

These meetings will take place in Macomb County on July 27; Saginaw County on Aug. 10; Monroe County on Aug. 14; and Lansing on Aug. 23. Specific locations and times will be released when confirmed.

http://www.gophouse.com/GOPNewswire/News_Releases/SCHUITMAKER/07_19_06_statewideselapakhearingsannounced.htm

angeltob
08-25-2006, 12:28 AM
Do we have any details/follow up yet??? Anyone go???

mabear
08-29-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm sorry to be getting this to everyone late but in going through my e-mails over the last week the meeting for Lansing was reschedualed for August 30th. I believe this is the last one hopefully someone can go.

Committee Meeting

Meetings by bodies of elected members delegated by the House or Senate to consider and make recommendations concerning disposition of bills, resolutions, and other related matters referred to them. Committees are appointed by the Speaker of the House or the Senate Majority Leader and are organized according to subject matter.

Committee Judiciary: Accountability and Public Safety
Clerk Phone Number 517-373-7256
Location 308 House Office Building, Lansing, MI
Date Wednesday, 8/30/2006
Time 1:00 PM or after committees are given leave by the House to meet, whichever time is later.

Agenda Purpose of the Hearings

The committee is in response to the failures in our correctional system, exposed by murderer Patrick Selepak.
Among the issues being discussed are:

1. HB 6181 Acciavatti Criminal procedure; arrests; use of LEIN by arresting officer to determine if person is on parole; require and provide notification to department of corrections.

2. HB 6182 David Law Criminal procedure; arrests; notification to department of corrections when arrest warrant is issued against a parolee; require.

3. HB 6275 Robertson Corrections; parole; special requirements for parolees who were convicted of violent felonies or who are substance abusers; impose

4. To get the expert opinions of those involved on a daily basis in our criminal system.

5. To evaluate system failures through a thorough review of our corrections system, and discuss uncertainties in the law that could lead to problematic situations.

Chair Representative Tonya Schuitmaker

mabear
08-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Hearings Bring Out Problems with Parole System. Representatives want to draft laws resulting from all the testimony they've heard. They'll release a report on their initial findings from the testimony as early as next week.

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=5346168&nav=0RbQ

angeltob
09-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Well...I didnt make it! Thanks for the update mabear. I hope to hear of someone who did go and/or more updates.

StacysWar030
09-04-2006, 08:08 AM
My only fear is they come down TOO hard on drug offenders. We don't need MORE laws against a drug offender, but instead MORE laws in HELPING them! Locking them without any help or tools to survive in this world has already proven NOT to be the answer. I hope they come up with a legitimate plan, a realistic one and one that benefits ALL involved. Not just the safety of the public as they say.

Stacy