View Full Version : Re-entry Program (MPRI)

mrtimmyslady
08-04-2006, 03:46 PM
What does anyone know about the re-entry program? Do you have to be close to your ERD to request it? The MDOC web site says the program is voluntary and eligibility is determined by the parole board. Can someone request it at any time, no matter when their ERD is? According to the information on the site, it's a 4-month program at the Cooper Street facility in Jackson.

mrsdragoness
08-04-2006, 03:57 PM
As far as I know the Parole Board is the one to decide who goes to the ReEntry program.. however, I do know that recently some questionnaires were sent out to various prisoners so hopefully that has/will change.

The ReEntry program at Cooper Street is an intensive program - mainly for long term prisoners or prisoners with specific issues that they have identified as possible problems for them when they come home (alcohol/drugs etc.) There's other ReEntry programs at several other prisons and its being expanded.

mrtimmyslady
08-06-2006, 12:00 PM
I need to know more specifics ... where do I find them? Contact MDOC?

mrsdragoness
08-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Your loved one can talk to his counselor about it or you can try calling the MDOC, I'm not sure how much they will tell you.

Seven's Girl
09-07-2006, 02:11 AM
MPRI when fully implemented (if) is for all prisoners with an outdate. The full program is for one year. As stated above Cooper street is running a 4 month program called the "Intensive ReEntry Unit." For Cooper street, the parole board is giving the recommendations, you can not get it upon request. Macomb has an excellent program already in place with great success. Theirs is tied in with the "Wings of Faith, Walk With Me" run by DeeDee Coleman.

MPRI was to be implemented statewide by October '06, which would be fiscal year '07. I was involved with the start up of this program at the state and local levels. It seems now though that it may turn out to be one of those Great Ideas, that never really comes into action.

Local communities are involved in this also. I know the one in Muskegon meets at Goodwill one Thursday each month. These meetings can be attended by anyone interested.

The program is designed to start one year prior to the ERD. It is called voluntary, but don't let them deceive you. If it is offered to a prisoner who then turns it down, that information is given to the Parole Board and the prisoner will recieve a flop.

Did this help? If not, just ask, I can probably answer anything you need to know.

mrtimmyslady
12-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Sorry, I just checked this thread again! His ERD is December '07, so will he "automatically" be offered MPRI? He won't turn it down - he wants it. I heard they have it at Parnall now (that's where he is) so he wouldn't have to transfer.

mrsdragoness
12-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Not everyone is offered MPRI.. right now its been offered to more of the longer term prisoners. He needs to talk to his counselor.

mrtimmyslady
12-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Thank you so much! I'll definitely tell him!

whisper248
08-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Well this is something new regarding release from the MPRI program that I wanted to share. On his release date I will not be able to pick him up. He will be picked up by someone from the transition team, they will take him to parole office, lunch, a meeting somewhere and then bring him home. I am not sure if this is true for everyone, however he has heard that it is pretty much the way it has been going for others he has talked too. Has anyone else experianced this yet?

LindsayBelle
08-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Is this just for those going through the MPRI program, or everyone that is paroled?

whisper248
08-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I believe that it is only those that are in the MPRI program, not those that were not in the program. It may not even be the same for all that are in the MPRI program, however it is the way it is being handled for some so far, could be different for others, all new to me, just finding out a few things here and there from what I am hearing. Perhaps someone else that has a loved one come home from MPRI can let us know if it was different for them?

Iuse2bhere
08-19-2007, 02:28 AM
Now that is news to me because the guys from Bellamy Creek that were released have been picked up by there loved ones. My husband hasn't mentioned anything about this to me but I will keep you posted. Why would the transition team have to take them to the parole office? That doesn't make much sense at all. If you husband hasn't met with his transition team yet; I wouldn't believe that. But it could also depend on which county the individual is paroling to, since each facility that has MPRI is for specific counties.

whisper248
08-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I also think it depends on the county, either way it is all good stuff that they are trying to do to help him, so I will just have to be patient a few more hours I guess.

HOPE4FUTURE
08-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Whisper, I have a friend whose man did the re-entry at Bellamy. Then he rodeout to McComb closer to his home. They took him to the parole office and also took him home but I thought they only did that because his wife doesn't drive. I don't know about the meeting and lunch but I can ask her if you would like. He is in Oakland county and they said they are being treated good.

whisper248
08-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I would appreciate any information Hope4future. I do believe that this is all good stuff that MPRI is trying to do to prepare them for release, I guess I am just disappointed that his first day out I wont be able to be there to pick him up, but I will for sure be home to welcome him through the door.

HOPE4FUTURE
08-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Well, so much for that...I just tried to call their number and the phone has been disconnected. I used to take her to the prison for visits because she didn't drive. When I knew he was coming home I offered to drive him around that day because she said he was probably going to take the bus to the PO office and didn't know how he was going to get from there to home. But when I talked to her she said they took him everywhere and things were good with parole in Pontiac. If I get around their way I will stop in. I understand you want to pick him up but let him get all the help he can get because out tax dollars are paying for this program. I'm so excited for you!!!

whisper248
08-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Thank you for trying to find out what you could. I am satisfied that he will be home soon, and all the help he can get is welcomed. Again Thank you

Iuse2bhere
08-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Well the whole driving him home thing is strange but maybe they just want to make sure the guys report to their agent ASAP. I do believe there is a support in seeing family when they come through the doors that is missed and even though they are coming home it still would make me feel like MDOC even has control of my loved one's homegoing! But anywho make sure you let us know how all this works out.

HOPE4FUTURE
08-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Well, they do have control of his homecoming because he is still state property. It's important to remember that they are releasing him 2 years earlier or more than they have to in most cases with the promise that he/she will abide by the rules. To me, I think it is wonderful that they are getting more and more involved and supporting these inmates. I am really glad that this is happening to Whisper because I know she will give us all a step-by-step the way she always posts all the news! LOL Sorry Whisper but someone's got to do it!

whisper248
08-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Ok I will let you all know how it goes. I am through the pouting stage now and will focus on how wonderful it will all be, and worth it all in the end. Besides welcoming him through our front door instead of the car door may prove to be much more satisfying right?:)

HOPE4FUTURE
08-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I think so unless you had something planned for the car! LOL I know we all got programmed for that way of doing it but maybe you could just have someone videotape you waiting at the door and him carrying you in and you kicking the door shut and we can all just sit here drooling at what's going on in there! That's better than seeing you walk out of the prison with him.

I'm kinda surprised that they aren't concerned about safety issues like they are when they do rideouts or medical runs. This is all pretty interesting.

Iuse2bhere
08-19-2007, 07:19 PM
My husband is not being released 2 years early and has actually given them 2 years beyond his ERD. But regardless after supporting someone so long and then not being able to share the joy of seeing them being released threw those doors is a slap in the face because in the end are support means much more. We haven't been advised as of yet if this will be the procedure for us as but if it is all they have to do is let me be there when he comes through the doors...I can wait for everything else. The guys that we've known of that have been released from Bellamy Creek have been picked up by loved ones. He was just griping that one of the other guys in the program that's paroling to Kent County was going to commerical placement and catching the bus home because he had no one to pick him up and they were going to drive him to Lansing to catch the bus to GR vs. them just driving them to GR and dropping him at the Correctional Facility! Go figure. I know we should just be happy they are coming home as so many people have said and I've even told others everytime they'd had something not so nice to say about MPRI but I've only began to understand how other felts now that we are going through it.
Well, they do have control of his homecoming because he is still state property. It's important to remember that they are releasing him 2 years earlier or more than they have to in most cases with the promise that he/she will abide by the rules. To me, I think it is wonderful that they are getting more and more involved and supporting these inmates. I am really glad that this is happening to Whisper because I know she will give us all a step-by-step the way she always posts all the news! LOL Sorry Whisper but someone's got to do it!

jenjenb07
08-20-2007, 08:05 AM
My husband will be done with MRPI on 9-11; someone will be picking him up and taking him to a community placement home in Detroit for 2 weeks. This is in Wayne county, so I guess each county is different. I spoke with his PO, and she did say that this was a new thing; and the normal duration of stay would be 2 weeks to 4 weeks.

HOPE4FUTURE
08-20-2007, 08:47 AM
I would care less where they took mine to as long as he got a parole and was out of there I would be tickled pink! There has been complainng forever that they don't do anything to help these inmates from recidivism and now when they are stepping up to the plate some think it is a slap in the face? Two years past an ERD is still much better than maxxing out unless of course his max date is close to his ERD which in my case is 30 years difference. So to me, if they took him to a halfway house or somewhere for a month or even 6 months I would still die for it! I there were no budget cuts right now many that are getting a parole would not probably be getting it. So I think that we should count our blessings!

jenjenb07
08-20-2007, 08:55 AM
I would care less where they took mine to as long as he got a parole and was out of there I would be tickled pink! There has been complainng forever that they don't do anything to help these inmates from recidivism and now when they are stepping up to the plate some think it is a slap in the face? Two years past an ERD is still much better than maxxing out unless of course his max date is close to his ERD which in my case is 30 years difference. So to me, if they took him to a halfway house or somewhere for a month or even 6 months I would still die for it! I there were no budget cuts right now many that are getting a parole would not probably be getting it. So I think that we should count our blessings!

I agree! It really wouldn't bother me if he was there for 90 days-- at least he didn't get flopped, which is what I thought would happen. And, as far as picking him up, I'm glad that they will be doing it! Its all good no matter what.

whisper248
08-20-2007, 09:28 AM
I have had time for this to absorb, and beleive me when I say that I too feel it is all good stuff. They are trying to help them to transition and that is all positive. I dont care who brings him home, he is coming home and that is what matters the most. Also they are already filling out paperwork while still inside so that everything is set up for his coming home. I believe that this MPRI will be a great program, and they seem to be getting off to a good start.

Iuse2bhere
08-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Well kudos to those that agree with it; I don't see what it teaches them. All mine has done is sit there from the time he's gotten there, He's had no classes and will not have his state id as the brochure states. On top of that since he's been down so long the info that they do give them he's already seen a million times. If they have a program that is suppose to help then they need to make sure that it is thorough and not half step just to be getting some money from the federal government. IUse2 really believe that MPRI was a good thing until my husband went into it then I was able to understand why so many others had been complaining about it! About the only thing I've seen that will be good is that he's going to come home with a job! After living through 2 flops we both were just ready for him to come home since they pick and choose who they send to re-entry! Other guys that got there parole's had been down longer than him paroled straight home, where some had been there way less were sent to re-entry. Curiousity just killed me so I called to find out if mine would be delivery or pick-up....:D and was advised that as long as he is paroling to our residence I would be picking him up and could be there no earlier than 7:30am and he should be released by 8:00am.

HOPE4FUTURE
08-20-2007, 10:24 AM
That's what we were hearing from the ones in the past. Are all your guys in the same place?

Iuse2bhere
08-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Mine is atBellamy Creek and we spoke about this tonight during visit and he said that the day he is released on there are a total of 12 guys paroling that day which most of those guys will be catching the Greyhound home depending on if they have more guys paroling to Grand Rapids or Lansing is where the individuals will catch the bus from; so if more guys are paroling to G.R. then they will drop all the guys off at the bus station in G.R. and vs. if more are from Lansing. He says that he hasn't heard of the transition team taking anyone home from there and from what he knows is that once he intially meets with his transition team and parole agent that the next time he would hear from them is once he's home. But Bellamy Creek also has a transition program for the family that I haven't heard anyone else talking about but I will post more on that once we meet with them Wednesday morning.

whisper248
08-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Thanks for this update, I am convinced that it will depend on what county they are in and what is set up and/or available to MPRI at the time of discharge. I look forward to hearing about the meeting on Wednesday.

luckyanna
08-25-2007, 11:11 PM
My SD will be gettingout at the end of Nov. He was told that he is going to an intensive MPRI program at the Ryan Road Facility in Detroit. Does anyone know anything about the program at that facility or about the MPRI program in Wayne County, specifically Detroit? I have moved to Kalamazoo, so I don't know how much I will be able to help him even though I have been his only support person for 4 years. Also, how long would it be before he would be allowed to leave Wayne County for a weekend visit to Kalamazoo, presuming that he gets a job that would allow that. He needs to take state tests in optical dispensing and the master gardner test & I think a pesticide test as well. He has done very well in all those programs, but needs state certification. Do you think they will give him any help in achieving those goals? If he has no where to live in Detroit, will they assign him to a half-way house or is he on the street? Thanks for any information anyone can supply.
Ann

LindsayBelle
08-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Okay... so I wasn't really going to announce it or anything, and I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but

MY BOY GOT INTO THE MPRI PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm super duper excited, to say the least. He starts next week, so it looks like a better chance for us, at least!!! AHHHHHHHHH.

:D :D :D

tballa
08-29-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm so excited for you and Clint!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

folara1
08-29-2007, 04:40 PM
I will be at West Shoreline to pick up my husband Sept. 11th. at 8 AM. His tether gets hooked up the following day. I will take him to his PO that day. He is in the MPRI too.

tballa
08-29-2007, 06:48 PM
congratulations!!!!

Iuse2bhere
08-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Okay... so I wasn't really going to announce it or anything, and I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but

MY BOY GOT INTO THE MPRI PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm super duper excited, to say the least. He starts next week, so it looks like a better chance for us, at least!!! AHHHHHHHHH.

:D :D :D

Are you saying that your boyfriend got into Re-Entry Program? I thought that re-entry was a parole condition for individuals that received a parole?

whisper248
08-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Lindseybelle, according to your ticker he still has 12 months to go and has not seen the parole board. If he is going into an MPRI program perhaps it is different then the end phase that is talked about here, mainly because it is such a new program things are being added all the time. I know that once fully implemented that it will have different phases starting with when they first enter the prison system. It will be intersting to see what they will have him doing, please keep us updated.

LindsayBelle
08-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Lindseybelle, according to your ticker he still has 12 months to go and has not seen the parole board. If he is going into an MPRI program perhaps it is different then the end phase that is talked about here, mainly because it is such a new program things are being added all the time. I know that once fully implemented that it will have different phases starting with when they first enter the prison system. It will be intersting to see what they will have him doing, please keep us updated.

He said that the program that was discussed with him is a 6-month program, including many different classes including "Life Skills" and "Monetary Management".... I can't remember the other ones he said. Also, they were visited by a member of the parole board (although my BF said he can't remember his name for the life of him!). The PB member said that the inmates at this meeting were hand-picked by the facility and the parole board and are eligible to be in the program. Also, he said that the parole board looks very highly on those who complete the program and 99% of those inmates are released on their ERD. Clint said he is going to send me all his paperwork on it (when he is done with it) so I can post it on here. lol... I'm ahead of ya ;).

Iuse2bhere
08-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Well this is good to know; If I remember correctly those are all classes that that would have normally been individually taken at their own choice. In my husband's case he's taken alot of those courses already and now that the MPRI is only 60 days they basically just sit there for most of the time because they are giving them any classes. There was a point not long ago when it was 6 months as there are a few members who's loved one went through it during that time so hopefully they will be able to come along and post something. There is a portion of the program that can only be completed once they get a parole so I would like to see how all that plays out when it comes to that point for your loved one.

Iuse2bhere
08-30-2007, 09:24 PM
I thought it would be nice to post this as a good read on this subject!

The Intensive Parole ReEntry Unit (IRU) was developed under the Michigan Prisoner ReEntry Initiative (MPRI) to assist prisoners in developing strategies that will enable them to successfully complete parole and become productive citizens within the community.

http://www.michigan.gov/corrections/0,1607,7-119-9741_33218-138692--,00.html

luckyanna
09-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the post. My SO is also getting only 60 days of MPRI. I don't see how much can be accomplished in such a short time.
Ann

jenjenb07
09-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Luckyanna, my husband is also at Ryan Rd for the MPRI program. He has been there early August, and will be done with the program 9-11. He is than being taken to a community placement home for 2 weeks to finish the program. He told me that everyone there will be sent to one of these homes for at least a week, or up to 90 days. So, after that, I'm sure that he will be able to leave Wayne County.

Iuse2bhere
09-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Luckyanna, my husband is also at Ryan Rd for the MPRI program. He has been there early August, and will be done with the program 9-11. He is than being taken to a community placement home for 2 weeks to finish the program. He told me that everyone there will be sent to one of these homes for at least a week, or up to 90 days. So, after that, I'm sure that he will be able to leave Wayne County.

Not everyone from Ryan goes to a community placement program before they parole. I know of someone that complete MPRI @ that facility; depends the individual, their charge, and what the parole board wants them to complete.

jenjenb07
09-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I think that he is being required to go there to continue part of the MPRI program; he has only really been in it for 30 days. I also have heard from him that some of the people that are sent to placement are released the day they get there, and aren't required to stay any longer. The parole officer that visited with me told me this was a "new" thing, so maybe that is why it is so inconsistent. Or, it could be those that are parole violators only. Who knows.

Iuse2bhere
09-05-2007, 11:26 AM
They were releasing individuals early from MPRI because it was overcrowded and the guys I know that went to community programs in Kent County served full terms. The federal govt who funds the program got on the state about the individuals in the program not completing the 60 days so they have clamed down on making sure they complete it. One thing about is that they know they are coming so I wouldn't get caught up on the early release thing! Everytime you question something they always say it's new it just depends on the individual, their charge and what the parole board determines since they are the one that send them to those programs.

jenjenb07
09-05-2007, 11:40 AM
They were releasing individuals early from MPRI because it was overcrowded and the guys I know that went to community programs in Kent County served full terms. The federal govt who funds the program got on the state about the individuals in the program not completing the 60 days so they have clamed down on making sure they complete it. One thing about is that they know they are coming so I wouldn't get caught up on the early release thing! Everytime you question something they always say it's new it just depends on the individual, their charge and what the parole board determines since they are the one that send them to those programs.

Well, I do know that he is being physically discharged from prison on 9-11; and then being transported by the MDOC to a placement house in Detroit. I am guessing that they are doing this to continue the MPRI program at these homes to reduce the actual headcount in the prisons. This is Wayne County, and it may be different from Kent County at this time. I do agree though, that they are trying to work towards having everyone complete the required time for MPRI. When I say "placement home", it has nothing to do with not having an approved residence for parole, because he has been approved at our home. So, it must be to continue the program, and it could be for longer than he thinks. We just don't know; no clear answers from anyone at this time.

Iuse2bhere
09-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Yes I agree about them completing time. But one of my hubby's bunkies just went through MPRI at Ryan Rd and he didn't have to go to that program you are talking about so that's why I said it depends on the individual. Some guys that parole to Kent County go and some don't but in this county the bulk of the ones that go don't have home placement or they have some type of treatment they need them to complete before they return home

jenjenb07
09-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Yes I agree about them completing time. But one of my hubby's bunkies just went through MPRI at Ryan Rd and he didn't have to go to that program you are talking about so that's why I said it depends on the individual. Some guys that parole to Kent County go and some don't but in this county the bulk of the ones that go don't have home placement or they have some type of treatment they need them to complete before they return home

Do you know if your hubby's bunkie completed the full 60 day-MPRI at Ryan. I'm wondering, because I know my hubby has only been officially in it for not much longer than 30 days. He has completed all of his substance abuse classes in his previous location. So that is why I thought that they might be doing this placement to continue the required time.

Iuse2bhere
09-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Yes he did complete the 60 days. Maybe if you add all that time up that he's done at Ryan and the community program it's 60 days.

erinmichaels
09-07-2007, 10:41 PM
They sent me to Bellemy Creek in Ionia. I did the FOUR month program. The reason they changed it to the 60 days was because of the overcrowding.

I went into the program excited about all the "help" they would give me, advice I would receive, and information on contact people and programs here on the streets.

Well.....I was released on 6-28-07 to an mpri transitional house here in Lansing. It was literally a crack house. By that I mean that they actually were selling drugs and partying IN the house-the very night I got out. I received my bridgecard, and alot of really positive promises of help and advice. I got a job 9 days out of prison--2 weeks later I was cut off from the bridge card. No help has come from mpri, Michigan Works, or any other organization including the parole office.

All I have to say is for you and your loved ones to realize that YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. Nothing will come, no help, no advice, no nothing. Work hard and try to stay positive. It's all you can do.

Pandela
09-08-2007, 08:17 AM
This is excellent advise, not just for prisoners released, but for all. You are on your own in life. Anything more is a little icing on the cake. Do not depend on it!

Iuse2bhere
09-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Each county handles MPRI resources alittle different because here in Grand Rapids they have a lot of resources. But it is my understanding that you have to be involved with them for them to work for you; they give them clothing vouchers, medical referrals, assist w/child support issues, family intervention, etc. It was my understanding that they would assist you with bridge for 3 months because the ones that I know that paroled received it for 3 months and maybe they cut you because you were in transitional housing or was it because you started working they should have given you a reason.

erinmichaels
09-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Each county handles MPRI resources alittle different because here in Grand Rapids they have a lot of resources. But it is my understanding that you have to be involved with them for them to work for you; they give them clothing vouchers, medical referrals, assist w/child support issues, family intervention, etc. It was my understanding that they would assist you with bridge for 3 months because the ones that I know that paroled received it for 3 months and maybe they cut you because you were in transitional housing or was it because you started working they should have given you a reason.

It was because I started working. I dont have kids and I have no other dependents. And yes, they did give me a $25 voucher for clothes at St. Vincents. I forgot about that. Those other things like child support may be true, I just dont know because I'm not in that situation. I expected the 3 months too, but didnt even make it 1. I guess with limited resources they have to pick and choose. Kinda depressing when people DRIVE to their appointments at DHS, but to each his/her own I guess.

Iuse2bhere
09-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah I feel you on that driving thing! I think it's a litte different here because the clothing vouchers are to like Target, Value City, etc. As I'd mentioned I know individuals that received food stamps for those 3 months with a job so it just depends but with the state nothing ever makes sense.

erinmichaels
09-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah I feel you on that driving thing! I think it's a litte different here because the clothing vouchers are to like Target, Value City, etc. As I'd mentioned I know individuals that received food stamps for those 3 months with a job so it just depends but with the state nothing ever makes sense.

Yea, I had heard that Kent county is much further along than Lansing. Ingham county makes a good speach when the papers are writing, but thats about all it is.

Not biter though:) I figure that I didnt really feel right using it anyway. At least this way I KNOW I stand on my own--and even with a minimum wage job--I'm stil here.

HOPE4FUTURE
09-08-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm trying to understand the driving thing?

erinmichaels
09-08-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm trying to understand the driving thing?
Unemployed people on welfare driving to their appointments at DHS. While the rest of us walk, and lose our benifits.

HOPE4FUTURE
09-08-2007, 11:20 AM
I thought that MI Works has a program for cars, tires, repairs, work clothes, etc that allows you $1000 a year?

erinmichaels
09-08-2007, 11:23 AM
I thought that MI Works has a program for cars, tires, repairs, work clothes, etc that allows you $1000 a year?

You know....I just dont know about that. All I know is that I didnt get anything like that. I walk and I'm saving money for a car. If its true, please let me know ok?

HOPE4FUTURE
09-08-2007, 11:25 AM
I know that it was true within the last couple of years because I know someone that was getting it. You really need to check into it, especially after you get a car.

erinmichaels
09-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks! I WILL check into that. If it still true, that would help out alot. I wonder why they never told me about any of this stuff when I was dealing with them?

HOPE4FUTURE
09-08-2007, 11:34 AM
You probably have to apply for it and you would have to have the job first. So, you say that you have the job and now you have to make them aware that you have to have the transportation to get there.

erinmichaels
09-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks! I just looked and I still have their card so I'm going to call them on Monday. So helpful:) Here I was all negative and stuff, and I learnt me something:) Thanks!

HOPE4FUTURE
09-08-2007, 11:37 AM
I can't be certain that they would do the car because the person I knew had a car but they provided her with like an expense account of $1000 for tires and repairs, etc. When she used it up she couldn't apply again for a year. There's some help out there and you need to just keep plugging away, don't quit!

erinmichaels
09-08-2007, 11:39 AM
I wont, now that I know this. Even if I have to wait until I buy the car, any help they could give would be much appreciated. As your help is, thank you .

HOPE4FUTURE
09-08-2007, 11:56 AM
You're welcome! Best of luck to you!

Iuse2bhere
09-08-2007, 12:48 PM
So you don't have a contact person here on the outside that can help you referrals to places because they should have a person that they refer to as the gatekeeper that is suspose handle things like referrals? If you don't trying giving your parole agent a call and because I think them helping with a car maybe right but I am not sure of the particulars on that. The local Michigan Works office may have some info for you. I wasn't really convinced about MPRI until they started offering the different programs to my husband and by the way he is going through it at Bellamy Creek so maybe they changed it a little bit since then.

luckyanna
12-09-2007, 07:16 PM
My SO was released from the MP porogram at Ryan Road the week of Thanksgiving.. His "counsellor" assured him that his birth certificate (from another state) which he had paid for & filled out forms for and his Social Security card would be waiting for him at his parole officer's office. When he was taken there--nothing! He had to apply & pay all over.
He was given clothing vouchers for two different places on opposite sides of town. One was only open 2 hours at a time 2 days a week. He couldn't find anything to wear suitable for an intervirew. He was given a light jacket and allowed to keep his prison longjohns with his number on them. Some guys were sent directly to Goodwill to work for nimimum wage. My SO was randomized to a program at Jewish Community Rehab Services. It pays nothing because it consists of classes in writing a resume, having an interview, etc., all things that he had already had classes in. Thus far he has received a bridge card after 2 1/2 weeks and says that the people at Traveller's Aid are helpful. I had to send him money to get a bus card so that he could get to the parole office and other places he had to go. He worked hard in prison and had excellent grades in several skills, buit has to take exams. To do that he will need money. He can't find any type of menial job to make money to do this. He can't ask to go to Goodwill and work because he is part of a "study". It seems to me that the MPRI program is just window dressing. If no real help is offered, it won't cut recidivism. I am so disappointed and as a taxpayer, I'm enraged!:angry:

Iuse2bhere
12-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Alot of it depends on which county they are paroled because here in Kent County they have programs that offer job training, job leads, clothing vouchers, and bus passes! My husband found his job throught he job training program for parolees.

luckyanna
12-12-2007, 12:55 PM
I guess it is just bad luck that my SO comes from Detroit and was paroled back there. I live in Kalamazoo, but could not take him in even temporarily because my apt. lease excludes felons. Does anyone know about the possibility of being transferred from Wayne Cty. to Kalamazoo County? Would he have to find a job here first? If he did, would they perhaps allow him to move and help him with housing?
Ann

shell021001
10-13-2008, 01:02 PM
This is a very interesting post as my husband is now in the MPRI program. the only glitch that i am working on is that I did not realized that my SO husband could not parole here (home) because I have my 2 year old grandson living with me. So I am working with a group in Lenawee county called "Damascus Road" to find him a place to live until my daughter can get on her feet and get her own place with my grandson. the only other option is for me to move all of us out of our house and let him live here alone. It is his family home after all...... Any ideas anyone??

Michelle

bluberry1020
10-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Some counties do allow them to go to shelters and there are a few that have people that rent rooms to them for a transition period. I don't know what county you are in, But I am sure Washtenaw was one mentioned.

ElysiumsGuitar
11-12-2008, 09:55 PM
You are correct suh!
Washtenaw puts all returning citizens into transitional housing for 6 months. One of only two counties that do this. (I currently work with the Wash MPRI program)
Some counties do allow them to go to shelters and there are a few that have people that rent rooms to them for a transition period. I don't know what county you are in, But I am sure Washtenaw was one mentioned.

kateek
11-13-2008, 09:31 AM
:thumbsup:Here is a prison reentry aftercare program that initially begins before release but they do help others also. You can get some feed back from them and it should put you in the right direction.
Also check with the Prison Congregations of America as they are in the process in Michigan of putting together a reentry aftercare here in Michigan.
Hope this helps.
Kateek

William Ackerman
11-22-2008, 10:21 AM
I was released from prison on June 3, 2008 to the MPRI program. All I can say is that the whole program is B.S. Any one that tells you anything different does not know what they are talking about. If you are offered the program in prison then you MUST take it or lose your parole. But all they do is warehouse you for 60 more days, and then send you to a program that doesn't have any money for whatever reason.

HOPE4FUTURE
11-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I am very sorry to hear that. Is there anyone we could contact about the program that might let them know that the money isn't being spent wisely?

LeaAnn
11-23-2008, 08:16 AM
HOPE4FUTURE~ I really don't think they care if it's a waste. They think they are doing something right not wrong.

William Ackerman
11-23-2008, 11:37 AM
They know that the MPRI program isn't working. All it does is supply money for them to hire more workers for the MDOC in some type of way. Why doesn't someone who knows how to work computers good run the money down and find out where it goes?

MomTo5
11-23-2008, 02:34 PM
The only good I see for MPRI is that when you get parole they are less likely to violate you because they really, really need those numbers to show the program is working. Sending people back doesn't help to show it is working.

William Ackerman
11-24-2008, 10:46 AM
I agree with you. In this case I am glad that they bend the rules to keep people in the program. No one is going to put up much of a fuss as long as they don't get violated. This is their showcase program and everyone believes that it is working except the people it is suppose to affect. How pitiful!

sandymom
11-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I was told that the MPRI was different in each county dependant upon how long it has been running in that county and who was the director there. It started out as a pilot with six counties I believe about 5 yrs ago? Some counties it has just started up and maybe they do not have the community contacts necessary yet, or dont even know what all is available in their county.
I just received an email from a friend whose son just got out and is in the MPRI program and she at first didnt feel that it was helpful, but now she has changed her opinion about that and has had quite a few advantages given her son that they are taking advantage of and thankful for.
I would also think that the pilot counties in the larger cities would have much more community support to draw from.

queenwdg
12-07-2008, 09:54 AM
:thumbsup:Here is a prison reentry aftercare program that initially begins before release but they do help others also. You can get some feed back from them and it should put you in the right direction.
Also check with the Prison Congregations of America as they are in the process in Michigan of putting together a reentry aftercare here in Michigan.
Hope this helps.
Kateek

The link above goes to a website that ishardly functional. Several of the options don't have any information under them, and it doesn't have any services in Michigan. You are in a Michigan post, supporting a link that doesn't even function in Michigan. Not Good!:mad:.

shell021001
12-09-2008, 06:53 AM
William,
I have found this out the hard way! Thank you for that. Did you parole to a family member or to community placement?

Washtnenaw county had no place he could go, so they dumped him off on Lenawee County. I am picking him up tomorrow morning and we will spend the morning with each other, without the watchful eye of the doc watching our every move. then meet with the parole officer at 1 and after that off to his new home. We will see what will happen next.

Michelle