View Full Version : Outgoing Mail-Does DOCS read it?

smile12856
07-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Can NY DOCS read an inmate's outgoing mail? I know they read incoming mail but I thought they couldn't read outgoing mail. I've read threads from other states where they do read outgoing mail, but I thought NY didn't.

PBE
07-27-2006, 09:20 PM
I don't think they read it but they do scan it to make sure he is not mailing something "contraband" like to you .

jimbo111
07-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Can NY DOCS read an inmate's outgoing mail? I know they read incoming mail but I thought they couldn't read outgoing mail. I've read threads from other states where they do read outgoing mail, but I thought NY didn't.

They can if they have a reason to, for security reasons. But, in general, NO.

Also, they do not read inbound unless for the same reasons, security. All they do is open it looking for any checks and shake the letter and envelope looking for anything that shouldn't be there (drugs, razor blades, nude photos and so on.) They are not suppose to read the mail. It's only open for security reason. Just think on how much money and time it would cost to read every letter that comes in daily. I am sure on a slow day they may read some just for something to do (after all they work for the state). But, they would never admit that. Legal mail is delivered to the inmate unopenned and a CO opens it in front of the inmate. The CO shakes it out and gives it to the inmate unread.

All that being said. I would always write a letter as if the prison is reading it. That way everything is cool.

A friend of mine who is inside writes letters to other inmates that he is friends with when they were in the same prison and one got moved. Inmate to inmate mail is against the rules. So he would mail me the letter with the persons DIN and I would re-mail it from here to that inmate. I mailed one and about a week and half later it was returned to me opened with a letter from the state saying 'Third party letters are not allowed and inmate to inmate was not allowed.' There was no way they would have known it was a third party letter unless they read it.

--

Momma Ann
07-28-2006, 10:04 AM
happened to me anmd I thought the same thing. I think it is the paper somehow.

pnutsgirl
07-28-2006, 10:18 AM
In Georgia they scan it to make sure he didnt send something that is not allowed. Then they put a message on the back to let you know that they didnt read it but they scan it.

However, in georgia when you send something to an inmate they do read it and go through the whole packet to make sure you are not sending the wrong things.

smile12856
07-28-2006, 11:54 AM
After reading a couple of the love letters my husband sends me, they would have figured out that there are no security issues in his letters. Why then are they so interested? My letters have obviously been opened and read for the last few months. I just don't know what they are hoping to find and it's starting to scare me that they are so interested.

jimbo111
07-28-2006, 01:10 PM
After reading a couple of the love letters my husband sends me, they would have figured out that there are no security issues in his letters. Why then are they so interested? My letters have obviously been opened and read for the last few months. I just don't know what they are hoping to find and it's starting to scare me that they are so interested.

How would you know they are reading your inbound mail? All mail is opened before the inmate gets it.

Are you receiving mail from him that has been opened before it gets to you? If so, I would call and ask why. Doubt they would tell you. But, at least they would know someone on the outside is aware of it and asking questions.

Like I said it would cost the state 1000's to read everyone mail. So you would have to ask why you and he are singled out.

--

smile12856
07-28-2006, 03:31 PM
I should have been more specific-my letters from him-have been opened and then glued closed. At first I thought it was a bad batch of envelopes, but now I'm convinced they are reading his outgoing letters to me. I can call and ask why, but who should I ask?

Thanks for your replies :-) I'm trying not to be paranoid but this is really bothering me

jimbo111
07-28-2006, 04:02 PM
I should have been more specific-my letters from him-have been opened and then glued closed. At first I thought it was a bad batch of envelopes, but now I'm convinced they are reading his outgoing letters to me. I can call and ask why, but who should I ask?

Thanks for your replies :-) I'm trying not to be paranoid but this is really bothering me

Call the prison and ask to talk to the person in charge of outgoing mail. The will direct you to that person. If they don't, ask to talk to the watch commander.

laflor
07-28-2006, 04:54 PM
jimbo111 inmate to inmate letters are allowed if they are related. My hunny's brother is also in a NYS facility and through the chaplain they were able to work something out where they are able to write to one another. This is good to know or others who are incarcerated and have relatives in the system as well they just have to go through the chaplain or who ever is in charge of mail service.

another point that i would like to make when i write my hunny i don't put a return address on my envelope becuase he says that they often have other inmate opening the letters and he doesn't want anyone else getting a hold of my address. i often wonder if he is paranoid but a friend of mine whose husband was incarcerated sometime ago received a letter from someone in the same facility that her man was in so after he told me that and she told me her experience i don't put my return address on my enevelope anymore fyi!

jimbo111
07-28-2006, 06:46 PM
jimbo111 inmate to inmate letters are allowed if they are related. My hunny's brother is also in a NYS facility and through the chaplain they were able to work something out where they are able to write to one another. This is good to know or others who are incarcerated and have relatives in the system as well they just have to go through the chaplain or who ever is in charge of mail service.

another point that i would like to make when i write my hunny i don't put a return address on my envelope becuase he says that they often have other inmate opening the letters and he doesn't want anyone else getting a hold of my address. i often wonder if he is paranoid but a friend of mine whose husband was incarcerated sometime ago received a letter from someone in the same facility that her man was in so after he told me that and she told me her experience i don't put my return address on my enevelope anymore fyi!

WOW!! I never gave it a thought that inmates might be opening the mail. If that's the case which I have a hard time believing because that would be a security risk for sure. Well, that puts a whole different light on things.

I know that CO's pick up the mail at the mail box at the dorms. Bare Hill each dorm has there own mail box.

--

babygurl919
07-29-2006, 02:49 PM

Funny you should bring this up... My husband just wrote me a letter saying that they don't read outgoing mail where he is, and he knows that for a fact because the letters are always sealed when he drops them in the box. Doesn't make much sense to me that they would read incoming and not outgoing, but hey that's the DOC for ya. Who knows with them.

jimbo111
07-29-2006, 04:58 PM

Something I just thought of. When an inmates mails mail to family and friends (personal mail) it is sealed by the inmate and the inmate drops into the mail box.

However, if an inmate mails mail to a business it is dropped in the mail open or given to the CO (also open). The prison does what ever it does with them and the prison seals it for mailing.

Which now leads me to the question. Does your husband mail personal mail to your work place? For example,

smile12856
Company name
#### Company Road
Company town, ST #####

This may explain why the envelope looks like it has been opened.

Your husband would consider it personal mail and seal it. But, the prison would consider it business mail. Therefore open it. Then re-seal it for mailing.

--

smile12856
07-29-2006, 06:52 PM
My husband's letters are addressed to me at my po box and he does seal them himself. But they are opened at the side and re-glued, most times it's hardly noticable but one of my letters this week, the letter was glued to the inside flap of the envelope making it obvious that it was tampered with. I just can't figure out why they are so interested. He's been in a long time and isn't a trouble maker. WTH????

traci2
07-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Now, I've never had any trouble with envelopes coming out of Great Meadow lookin like they've been opened. I always put my return address on the back of my mail to him. I forgot to do it a few times and my guy asked me to always put the address on the back otherwise it could cause problems with the CO's?? Not sure what that's about. I must ask him.

Manzanita
07-30-2006, 03:49 PM
They can if they have a reason to, for security reasons, like someone said. But,I doubt they do generally.

deanskayla
07-30-2006, 03:55 PM
No outgoing mail (Letters) is supposed to be opened unless there is a suspected security risk. The Superintendant may designate mail to be opened before it leaves the facility but the prisoner must be notified beforehand.
If the article needs an outsized envelope or contains something other than a letter it must be left unsealed, handed to a CO to be inspected and initialed by that CO.
It's also true that they are not supposed to read a prisoners incomining mail, but only check for contraband, however we all know that some do read the mail, that's how they get their kicks. Also in NY state Inmates are not supposed to be in the mail or package rooms, but I do know that sometimes they are, and do open envelopes and packages but they are not supposed to be doing the checking.

deanskayla
07-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Here is a link where you can view the Directive on Mail
http://www.docs.state.ny.us/directives.html

It does state that no outgoing mail is to be opened unless there is the possiblity of a security problem.

Evilnlita033005
07-31-2006, 03:43 PM
I don't think so. I think they just read in not outgoing but the problem is the fact that we don't know what happens before the letter goes into the envelope. :rolleyes:

Melissa_2006
07-31-2006, 03:50 PM
In WV they read incoming and outgoing. I sent some jokes about CO's and the CO who delivered the mail told my fiance that his girl was really funny.l Except for the joke about the CO's wife getting hooked up with the inmate. HaHa. And they have to put their letters in the box unsealed. The CO's seal all of their letters.

Beara920
07-31-2006, 09:16 PM
My Fiance said that they just open it and that take anything thats not allowed or checks etc. Also that they have to open it in front of them. They don't open outgoing mail as far as I know. hahaha and if they read our letters anyway they would get sick of the lovely lovely talk quick and move on. Except well some of JL's little stories are hot others just funny.

psnvyd
08-03-2006, 11:02 PM
well when we send an inmate mail obviously you already know that they read what we send into the jail.But when the inmate writes home and sends it out NO they do not read the letters.

jimbo111
08-04-2006, 06:54 AM
well when we send an inmate mail obviously you already know that they read what we send into the jail.But when the inmate writes home and sends it out NO they do not read the letters.

How do we already know they read the mail? They open the mail looking for contraband.

Do you realize how much it would cost the state to read the mail.

I am not saying that mail isn't read. Some bored letter opener may read some for something to do. However, that letter opener would never admit to reading mail. But, as a rule incoming and outgoing mail is not read unless there is a security reason to do so.

--

BabyCuz
08-29-2006, 04:40 PM

I know when I first started writing to my cousin this was a big issue. He made a big deal to tell me not to put my return address on the front of the letter, but on the back instead. While the inmates don't open the mail they helped distribute the mail and could see the front of the envelopes because they lay face up on the tray.
Thankfully, I haven't experienced any strange folks trying to get a hold of me.

poohmdk
09-03-2006, 01:09 AM
I know first hand that they read out going mail at times. They dont read everyones mail. the monitor mail of inmates who have given them problems in the past or who they just dont like. I would advise against not putting a return address since alot of times the inmate will be warned about it and if it continues they will just trash it.

laflor
09-03-2006, 06:38 AM
baby a few weeks ago I wrote my hunny and by mistake I put my return address, OMG forget it he almost chopped my head off. He claims and I don't doubt it one minute that not everyone that distributes the mail is kosher so you know I oblige him with not writing my return address, i just write my name and that's it to avoid any problems.

yaya'sbaby
09-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Laflor&babycuz-

In My Hunny Prison Which Is Upstate Correctional Facility, He Said That The Co's Distribute The Mail. But I Asked What Does He Do With The Envelopes Cause I Always Write On Them And Put Cute Little Stickers On Them. He Said He Rips Them Up And Puts The Letters In The Envelopes That The Facility Gives Him,cause He Said Sometimes Other Inmates Steal Them And Write To People Or Gives Them To Other Inmates To Start Trouble. At First I Thought He Was Being Paranoid But Now I Know Better.

jalove
09-05-2006, 08:41 AM
I never heard of this. My man is at rikers and he never told me anything like this happening there. I'm really scared now, should i stop writing my address on the letters.

JennMart
09-27-2006, 07:58 PM
I know the first few letters I wrote were opened, but now they don't check anymore. I was told that if you didn't put the return address on the envelope then it wouldn't be delivered. I will ask my b/f about the envelopes, because I don't want anyone else to get the address.

WifeNicAtNite
09-27-2006, 08:26 PM
My husband said that all of the facilities that he's been in ~ a C.O. distributes the mail. And he also tears up the return address information just in case.

jimbo111
09-27-2006, 09:19 PM
My husband said that all of the facilities that he's been in ~ a C.O. distributes the mail. And he also tears up the return address information just in case.

Yes, the CO delivers the mail. I always destroyed the return address before disposing of the envelope.

jimbo111
10-02-2006, 07:47 PM
An Old Italian man lived alone in the country. He wanted to dig his tomato garden but it was very hard work as the ground was hard. His only son, Vincenzo, who used to help him, was in prison.The old man wrote a letter to his son and described his predicament.

Dear Vincenzo,

I am feeling pretty bad because it looks like I won't be able to plant my tomato garden this year. I am getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. If you were here, my troubles would be over. I know you would dig the garden for me.

Love, Papa

A few days later he received a letter from his son.

Dear Papa,

I'd do anything for you Papa, except dig up that garden. That's where I buried the bodies.

Love, Vinnie

At 4 AM the next morning, the FBI and local police arrived and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left.

The same day the old man received another letter from his son.

Dear Papa,

Go ahead and plant the tomatoes now. That's the best I could do under the circumstances.

Love, Vinnie

--