View Full Version : Can I bring My Medication in????

jkv
07-27-2006, 07:25 PM
I have a medication I take and the withdrawls even after 1 day are really rough- I self surrender a week from monday to the feds, does anyone know how I arrainge to still have my medication the day i get in? and a refill available?? This change and the withdrawls together until i get re-evaluated would be really tough

thanks for any info anyone has

JKV

TxRhino
07-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Items Allowed at Surrender: The only items you will be allowed to bring inside with you will be *Empty presription bottles of your current medications (rescue inhalers if applicable are the only medication that is an exception to the NO MEDS RULE), A soft cover religous text, a religious medallion valued under $50.00(no stones), a plain wedding band (no stones), 1 pair of ear rings (simple studs or small hoops and again no stones) valued under $50.00, 1 pair of glasses and/or any dental appliances, a limited amount of legal papers that pertain to your case, and either a Money Order or cash for the commissary if your facility is still accepting cash up to a limit of $300.00/day. Keep in mind some institutions are refusing to accept funds directly. You may want to contact your destination for their particular policy. All other items will be collected and mailed home.

* Your current medications will be replaced with BOP Generic Equivalents; however, if you are taking Narcotic or Benzodiazipine (Valium) class meds... you will not get these.

Keep the Faith

Michael :thumbsup:

jkv
07-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks Michael,

Do you have any idea how long it takes to get a refill on meds once im in?

Greyeagle
07-28-2006, 08:36 AM
I know that different prisons and even who happens to be on duty when you are admitted makes some difference. My wife takes medicine for bi-polar and can't miss a dose ( daily) and she was allowed to bring it in and it was given to the pharmacy for her. You might call the prison and explain the circumstances or just show up with it and a letter explaining the importance of you taking the meds.
KC

jkv
07-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks, ill call the MDC and see what they recomend

jkv
07-28-2006, 09:24 AM
To anyone else who wants to know, i called bop and was told to bring enough of your med for 1-2 days, along with the bottle that states your dosage and type. IF there is a generic then you will be provided that, as long as the BOP thinks you need it.!!!

JAGCLT
08-03-2006, 06:40 AM
On his report date, he will see a nurse, who will get him set up for pill line (for certain meds) and prescriptions for others. If it is a Friday, it might be a little difficult, but they will usually try and get it worked out. Have him ask where the infirmary is, and tell him to be nice and persistent until his meds are in the system.

Also, if he takes anything like Prilosec OTC (and a lot of people do), I would recommend getting a prescription filled before he goes in for something like Nexium, etc. That way, he'll get something like Protonex and won't have to be constantly buying Tums from the commissary.

TxRhino
08-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Good advice Jagclt.

Tums....:yuck: Yuck! Just as well buy "Baby Powder" it's cheaper and has the same ingredients.

Keep the Faith

JAGCLT
08-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks, except that buying baby powder in prison usually carries other, um, negative connotations.

stupidlilme
09-26-2006, 02:12 PM
I take 3 different medications wellbutrinxl,klonopin and phentermine will I be able to take my meds in and stay on them??I have bpolar,depression,anxiety etc and its important I have my medication

fartoodeep123
09-26-2006, 05:30 PM
* Your current medications will be replaced with BOP Generic Equivalents; however, if you are taking Narcotic or Benzodiazipine (Valium) class meds... you will not get these.

Keep the Faith

[/quote]

I am prescribed Benzodiazipine for a physical ailment and I MUST take this medicine usually daily. So the BOP will look at the prescriptions and doctor's letter and just say "NO"? How can they deny you a medicine that a qualified doctor has prescribed? This isn't cruel and unusual? Do they make exceptions?

TxRhino
09-27-2006, 01:10 AM
stupidlilme,

In the real world of medicine it is commn knowlege that all antidepressants are not created equally or even prescribed for the ever widening diagnosis' of mood disorders; however, in the Land of BOP, it's a One size (generic) fits all. I do not know off the top of my head what their current drug of choice is for antidepressants, but i do not believe it is Wellbutrin. As for the Klonopin, this is a benzodiazapin and will NOT be allowed. Phentermine is a derrivative of amphetamine and is also a big NO NO. Sorry.

Keep the Faith

TxRhino
09-27-2006, 01:16 AM
fartoodeep123,

The simple answer to your questions is:

How can they deny you a medicine that a qualified doctor has prescribed?

They simply have their own "Qualified Doctor" say you don't need it and prescribe something else.

This isn't cruel and unusual?

I will reserve comment to whether it is cruel, but NO it is not unusual for BOP. Unusual would be them making the exception.

Do they make exceptions?

See the above answer.

Keep the Faith

newbie2006
09-27-2006, 03:17 AM
I would sue the sh*t outta them if they won't provide what one needs for survival! LAWSUIT, LAWSUIT, LAWSUIT!

brat464
09-27-2006, 03:05 PM
so if you are on (anti psych) drugs klonopin, lexepro, etc they just take them away? i take 4 ativan a day also along with elavil, I can't imagine them taking all away in one day. People would be going psycho on them.

fartoodeep123
09-27-2006, 03:34 PM
fartoodeep123,

The simple answer to your questions is:

How can they deny you a medicine that a qualified doctor has prescribed?

They simply have their own "Qualified Doctor" say you don't need it and prescribe something else.

This isn't cruel and unusual?

I will reserve comment to whether it is cruel, but NO it is not unusual for BOP. Unusual would be them making the exception.

Do they make exceptions?

See the above answer.

Keep the Faith

LOL. It's not unusual because they do it all the time. That's a good one. Now they just have to navigate around cruel and they can ignore my rights completely.

I have a presecription from a top Doctor at an Ivy League school medical center. I also have a letter from him stating that I will be in extreme pain without immediate access to Valium as needed. If the BOP doctor refuses to prescribe Valium, I hereby promise all PTO members right here and right now that I will file a lawsuit upon my release.

SusanT
09-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Fartoodeep,

I understand your anxiety. I had the same concerns prior to my time away. I too, took my prescription bottles and letters from my Physicians. The last thing you need to do is self-surrender with an attitude of arrogance.

You are not going to have access to any medication stronger than Ibupropen "as needed". For all anti-depressant, anti-anxiety medications there is a pill line three times each day where you will receive that medication and swallow it in the presence of staff in the Medical building.

As you have been informed, the BOP will substitute generic equivalents for those medications their staff has determined are necessary. No matter how many letters you take, that isn't going to change. Appearing grateful for the medical care you receive and actually thanking your provider is going to get you a lot farther than threatening a lawsuit. You will be provided a written copy of "prisoner rights" and being pain-free is not listed on there.

fartoodeep123
09-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Fartoodeep,

I understand your anxiety. I had the same concerns prior to my time away. I too, took my prescription bottles and letters from my Physicians. The last thing you need to do is self-surrender with an attitude of arrogance.

You are not going to have access to any medication stronger than Ibupropen "as needed". For all anti-depressant, anti-anxiety medications there is a pill line three times each day where you will receive that medication and swallow it in the presence of staff in the Medical building.

As you have been informed, the BOP will substitute generic equivalents for those medications their staff has determined are necessary. No matter how many letters you take, that isn't going to change. Appearing grateful for the medical care you receive and actually thanking your provider is going to get you a lot farther than threatening a lawsuit. You will be provided a written copy of "prisoner rights" and being pain-free is not listed on there.

I of course won't go in with attitude or arrogance. But I will watch everything closely and keep notes and write letters and pursue a lawsuit if they deny me the medicince that a top doctor has explicitly stated that I must take AS NEEDED. The last thing I want is to take Valium everyday even when I don't need it simply because the BOP rules state that I should. If you do that, you'll be addicted in no time.

If in this country a prisoner does not have the rigth to take medicine that his doctor has explicitly stated that he requires, then this country is seriously fu*ked up. There's no other way of looking at it.

TxRhino
09-28-2006, 12:24 AM
At the risk of sounding cruel, I believe there is some confusion regarding rights verses privileges and don't forget, being a Felon automatically is a forfeiture of many of your former rights.

If you don't believe me look what you forfeit as a result of being a Former Felon and living in Texas:

http://www.solutionsfortexas.info/id73.html

Keep the Faith

ajap
09-28-2006, 05:09 AM
I had to take one of those "Rah! Rah!" classes in prison and the teacher kept saying Ex-felon; I pointed out to him that there was NO such thing. Of course he accused me of being negitive, but it IS a fact of life after arrest and once I accepted that things got less hard.

Also I think you'll be stunned with what you can learn to live without while locked up. Grow where you're planted..............

fartoodeep123
09-28-2006, 11:26 AM
At the risk of sounding cruel, I believe there is some confusion regarding rights verses privileges and don't forget, being a Felon automatically is a forfeiture of many of your former rights.

If you don't believe me look what you forfeit as a result of being a Former Felon and living in Texas:

http://www.solutionsfortexas.info/id73.html

Keep the Faith

The fact that getting medicine PRESECRIBED BY A LICENSED DOCTOR is even considered a privilege and not a right is simply disgusting. America pretends like it is this great beacon of freedom and human rights to the world and look how they treat their prisoners. Compare this to many civilized Eurpoean countries.

Now the fact that crimes such as lying on a loan application or commiting mail fraud prevent you from participating in such a wide array of employment opportunities is equally as disgusting and completely illogical.

One more reason to leave this place ASAP.

Martha2
10-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Just came home from Coleman Camp. I came in on anti-depressents and a couple of other medications rxed by a licensed MD. You will be given the generic equivalent to what you are taking IF they agree it's necessary. Any complaining, now I don't want to be a negative force here but if you insist that you are to ill and can not function on thier meds. They will ship you to a medical facility. You do not want that if you don't need to be there. Try to work with the medical staff, I did and it got me through my time there.Good Luck.

SusanT
10-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Martha2, I want to thank you personally for coming back on PTO and "paying forward" with up-to-date, "just got out" information.

God bless,
SusanT

fartoodeep123
10-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Just came home from Coleman Camp. I came in on anti-depressents and a couple of other medications rxed by a licensed MD. You will be given the generic equivalent to what you are taking IF they agree it's necessary. Any complaining, now I don't want to be a negative force here but if you insist that you are to ill and can not function on thier meds. They will ship you to a medical facility. You do not want that if you don't need to be there. Try to work with the medical staff, I did and it got me through my time there.Good Luck.
Why does everyone keep saying that you're better off NOT going to a FMC? Before I got into this whole thing, I assumed that the FMC would be the best place to go because I thought this is where there would be the most compassion and most flexibility for the inmate to do what he needs to do to take care of his health condition.

But every single post here says that you don't want to be in an FMC? Why?
And what does it say about healthcare in federal prison if you are better off in a camp taking care of yourself than at a facility supposedly designed to take care of inmates with medical problems?

fartoodeep123
10-02-2006, 05:25 PM
?

gypsyhorses
10-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Do you know if Paxil is a drug that will be given? I take Paxil and a lot more. How long before going in should we start to wean ourselves off our medications so that we don't go through withdrawl? This is very scary, I stmpathize with all that will face this as I will too and I can't be with out my meds.

powderkeg
02-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Does anyone know what happens when you go thru withdrawls from Xanax and Lortab? Im sur it aint pretty, but am guessing Prison wont let me continue to take these. Am trying to wean, but not easy when you know you have them and you CAN take them.

fbopnomore
02-18-2013, 03:47 PM
This is an old post, but if you do a Google search for "Xanax and Lortab withdrawal" there are a number of articles about the symptoms. You absolutely will not get any kind of narcotic, like hydrocodone, in federal prison. There are a number of anti- anxiety/depression medications on the bop formulary. Find out from your doctor which one is best for your condition and ask the doctor to switch you to it from Xanax now. Also have the MD document the diagnosis, treatment plan, and RX medications in a letter that you can hand, and also mail to the prison doctor, if you hope to get any medications while you are locked up.
http://www.bop.gov/news/PDFs/formulary.pdf

The bop has a foolproof way to get rid of a drug or tobacco habit. They lock you in a cage until your cravings disappear.