View Full Version : Halfway house - ER treatment - who is responsible for the bill?

coping
07-24-2006, 08:47 AM
I was wondering, when in HWH on home confinement, and emergency treatment is necessary, who is responsible for the bill?

SusanT
07-24-2006, 09:25 AM
I believe you are.

coping
07-24-2006, 09:43 PM
That is what my son said, I was just making sure.

SusanT
07-25-2006, 07:07 AM
I don't think it's fair since he is still under BOP custody, paying 25% subsistence, and hasn't had a chance to get back on his feet...but "fair" isn't their SOP.

While an inmate I refused any gynecological exams by prison medical staff (went in with paperwork from my physician that everything was current and ok). Then, at the HWH, my counselor insisted that she was making an appointment at the county clinic for me, since I had not been checked at the prison.

I was able to get into my own physician within the 10 day time limit she gave me so circumvented her order. When I mentioned this to the director, his response was "why would she tell you such a thing?" I suppose it was just a "head game" with her. Thinking about it still makes me angry.

Gilbenjamin2000
07-25-2006, 09:28 AM
You are - HWH does not cover any medical expenses.

headingthere
07-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Wait a minute. We have to submit to those exams in prison? We do not have the right to refuse medical treatment while we are there? Please say we do.

cjjack
07-25-2006, 01:34 PM
You can refuse, yes. I was in for so long that I did have a PAP smear done and am very glad that I did as it came back abnormal and I had to go to an outside facilty for treatment. It had been quite a while since I had an exam so it was no big deal to me. There are horror stories about medical care in prison, however, so I think it really depends on the feelings of each person.

Susan, your halfway house sounds like a nightmare!! At mine, they could care less if you had medical treatment or not! I had to go to the ER once and did have to pay for it myself.

SusanT
07-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I found the medical care at FPC Bryan to be excellent under the circumstances but I don't just drop my drawers for anybody. I wouldn't agree to that on the outside without feeling confident in the practitioner.

Just like everyone, I had to submit to a strip search but invasive procedures are another matter. If any of you are as uncomfortable as I am with that, then go to your own physician prior to your surrender, tell him/her what is going on, and get a letter stating that you are current and DO NOT need another exam for _____ years.

The medical team at my facility had no problem with that. When substituting medications, they gave me copies of the PDR information. I also obtained a lower bed permit as well as soft shoe permit curing my first few weeks. Tact & thanking your practitioner at your facility go a long way toward optimizing your medical and dental care while incarcerated.

cjjack
07-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Very true. There was an excellent doctor at Bryan when I was there, surprising for the BOP, named Dr. Torres. She was very nice and treated you not like an inmate but as a human being. Unfortunately she went to another prison while I was there.

headingthere
07-25-2006, 09:34 PM
I have covered every avenue with my family and friends that care. I have went through all the things that could happen and my wishes for them. I expect to spend at least 5 years but as with everything only the sentencing day will tell what I actually get. I had a hysterectomy when I was 23 and I followed everything to a tee back then. The every 3 months pap smear and so on and it all came back fine so I kinda ignore that now. I had a breast biopsies when I was 31 and followed up on that and did all I was told. I lost all my teeth in 2001 due to severe bone loss so I wont need a dentist. I had the skin cancer removed so I dont have to worry about that. I think I am in good shape for them to leave me alone while I am there. It really wont matter because I have already said whatever will be will be but I will not do any treatment in there and my family knows that. I know that sounds crazy but I just cant see me letting them do anything and I am also a true believer when your time is here it is here and nothing will change that.

SusanT
07-26-2006, 07:14 AM
Nevertheless, consider the medical practitioners in there as allies and not enemies. They are doing the best they can with what they have to work with.

When issued clothing you will be given steel toe work shoes. If these cause problems, ask your medical practitioner for moleskin to cushion the blisters. I developed a foot problem while there (since cleared up) and they issued a white shoe permit so that I could wear my white athletic shoes for work.

Taking in a letter from my physician regarding the supplements I was taking, I was given a prescription for vitamins which meant I did not have to purchase them from commissary funds. I also had a monthly prescription for Motrin which I could keep in my locker and take as needed.

One thing to remember is that you must "prove yourself" to the medical staff. Until they know you, they will likely assume that all inmates are in medical to get out of working. Treat them with the respect you would treat your doctor at home and you will be surprised how helpful they will become.

gypsyhorses
08-17-2006, 02:08 PM
While in prisonand if you should need to travel to an outside facility, do they take you in your prison clothes and shackels? If so, how did that work for you? I think I would die!

SusanT
08-17-2006, 02:28 PM
If you are in a camp your daily uniform will be something such as Khaki pants and shirt (or something similar depending on your institution), which would not be noticeable to any civilians.

Usually the town driver (an inmate) will drop you off in an unmarked van and pick you up when your procedure is over. I don't know what it would be like in a higher security institution.

I had a job outside the prison at a university and wore a uniform every day. No one except the people I worked with knew whether I was a faculty member, student, or prisoner and no one cared.

gypsyhorses
08-17-2006, 03:51 PM
SusanT

Thank you for the information on this. I am trying to understand what you said about hard shoes. I am worried because I wear a size 6 EE and I doubt they will have that size. Also I am not able to walk around and work. I can do a sit down job, do I tell them this when I get there?

SusanT
08-17-2006, 04:01 PM
The medical staff is trained to think that inmates "whine" and "lie" about medical conditions to get out of work. You must have documentation. Do you have anything in your PSR regarding your inability to walk and stand? Whether you do or not, go to your private physician and get a letter stating your limitations (ask for three original copies). Take one with you, have one on hand for someone at home to send you, and keep one in your file at home.

The laundry dept that issues the clothing and shoes will have something that will fit you. Your athletic shoes that you purchase from the commissary will have to be ordered.

There are many sit down jobs but you absolutely must have documentation to achieve that as well as get a lower bunk and a white shoe permit.