View Full Version : Federal Weddings~Updated Statement BOP

PattiD1157
07-20-2006, 08:14 PM
I received this link today in my email. It's an updated statement on Federal Inmate Marriages. I hope that this helps some of you that have loved ones in Federal Prisons.

Federal Inmate Marriages (http://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5326_004.pdf)

Patti

2nice
09-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Everytime i try to view it, it causes and error. This constantly happens to me with this particular link. :( Is there any way that you could copy and paste?
Thanks! x

angelica916
09-26-2006, 04:08 PM
When was this updated? It shows the year 1998.

angelica916
09-26-2006, 04:08 PM
sorry double post.

chatas21
10-08-2006, 02:42 PM
i know it hard to wait but come on girls we can do this time will fly bye ever thought it dont feel like it. but it will feel good when r men come home

yourguest
01-16-2007, 08:36 AM
I really appreciate the info...please keep us posted!:D

valliegirl60
02-22-2007, 09:10 PM
good info.........thanks

The~Mad~Hatter
05-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the link.

DANIGIRL07
06-03-2007, 07:47 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew about marriage in jackson state prison.My boyfriend has only been there for a week,but i am due next month on the 22.I was wonderin if they would let us knowing our circumstances

brese20
06-11-2007, 12:55 PM
just keep fighting for it eventualy they will let you..

LamontLover
07-05-2007, 04:06 PM
PattiD... listen... do you have info concering furloughs?

LAVISHMAMI
09-23-2007, 12:30 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew about marriage in jackson state prison.My boyfriend has only been there for a week,but i am due next month on the 22.I was wonderin if they would let us knowing our circumstances

Hopefully they will. :)

Tina Crites
12-29-2007, 02:55 PM
mine is in the mansfield ohio prison...has anyone been married there and know the cost...or the rules?????

mrslalamartinez
06-25-2008, 03:22 PM
My boyfriend/fiancee wants to get married if he does not get deported he has his residency and thinks because of his drug conviction they may send him back to santo domingo i pray to God they dont now if when he comes back from court he goes back to the prison (i know he will be going back) he wants for us to get married right there in the prison and i love him with all of my heart and i will be it..........his release date is feb 2009 now i can wait also but its really up to him id like to spend my wedding night with him........he has been in court 2 days as of today and its hard because i normally get calls on mondays and didnt get one because he had to go to court so im waiting waiting waiting..........he is in NC does anyone know how marriages are done there?????...................................

bella_honey
10-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Does anyone have any current info for McKean Camp marriage??? He told me the next time is March 09...let me know all info if possible. Thanks

msmcham08
11-14-2008, 12:48 PM
i would like to know what are the steps that you must take in the Western Divison to get married? Also i was wondering what is the 411 on these laws that are suppose to be changing soon? Is that true or is that just a myth?:o:o:)

ant's wife
11-14-2008, 02:12 PM
not sure which laws your talking about there are alot

LamontLover
11-14-2008, 02:15 PM
for those interested in marrying your prisoner:

you know you are allowed to call the facility and speak with either the chaplin or a counselor about specifics concerning getting married. worked for me!

blissfullyme198
01-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Can someone tell me the marriage policy for Allenwood, white deer pa its a federal prison in Pennsylvania me and my fiance want to plan ahead of time for August of 09. please let me know what to wear all the way to what's it like.

prisonwife11
04-18-2009, 07:27 PM
:thumbsup:hi.. i was so happy to see the info that you posted.. i couldnt find anything on the bop's website about marriage. so thanks again.
LOVING HIM FROM A FAR UNTIL 2015

MrsBlakeney
06-22-2009, 12:32 PM
My babe is in USP Coleman 1 and we are looking to get married. I live in Philadelphia, how do I go about getting a marriage license? Since we will be getting married in Florida do I have to get my marriage license in Florida? If so the website I went to said that both bride and groom have to be present with id's and ss card, how can we do that if he is not granted a furlough? Will they give me one without him being present? I just want to get as much information as possible so I can start the process. We have already petitioned the warden so we are waiting to hear from him. But I doubt he will deny my babe has been an upstanding inmate, no write ups or anything like that.

Any information will really be a big help.

Coconut
07-12-2009, 06:40 PM
my fiance is at the same facility and we are gettin married august 11, 09. is that the same day as yours? As far as I know all he has to do is talk to the chaplin, get the marriage lic. paper, fill out his half, send it to you, then you have to mail it to the lycoming courthouse. Then they will have your marriage license on the day of your ceremony and you pay them that day. Im not sure the exact amount. My fiance said about 150 for the whole thing.

Can someone tell me the marriage policy for Allenwood, white deer pa its a federal prison in Pennsylvania me and my fiance want to plan ahead of time for August of 09. please let me know what to wear all the way to what's it like.

prodicaldaugter
09-09-2009, 09:13 AM
My babe is in USP Coleman 1 and we are looking to get married. I live in Philadelphia, how do I go about getting a marriage license? Since we will be getting married in Florida do I have to get my marriage license in Florida? If so the website I went to said that both bride and groom have to be present with id's and ss card, how can we do that if he is not granted a furlough? Will they give me one without him being present? I just want to get as much information as possible so I can start the process. We have already petitioned the warden so we are waiting to hear from him. But I doubt he will deny my babe has been an upstanding inmate, no write ups or anything like that.

Any information will really be a big help.

My man is also at Coleman but at (Med), the rules are pretty much the same. We have recently begun the process for marriage approaval, he will need to speak with his case manager/counselor and request the form for marriage approval. There is a part for him to complete and there is part for you to complete you will also need to send in some documents that will be listed along with a letter stating that you wish to marry you man and so forth (why that is a requirement is clueless to me). Then from my understanding you mail the paperwork back along with "ALL" the required documents to the case manager/counselor who will forward it to the Chaplin, also I believe you will also have to obtain the marriage license and mail that to the Chaplin also. But all in all the process will begin with your man speaking with his case manager/counselor to get the forms. Good luck girl, and many blessings. Oh and yes you will need to get your marriage license in Florida, I believe that small town for Coleman is actually Wildwood, Florida I do know it is Sumter County. But I think the prison would be the better resouce rather than the County Clerk because I am sure there are special procedures when one party is incarcerated. But if and when I get more information I will PM you.

**Oh yeah from my understanding once everything is completed you will be contacted with the date and time of wedding to take place at the facility, and it will usually be more than one couple. Also you are allowed to visit right afterwards, and it is all preformed seperate from regular visitation (from what he was told from someone who went through the process)**

amanda bryars
09-10-2009, 07:10 PM
does anyone out know about spartanburg sc marrige with prisoner please let me know soon we are in love i cant even see him until we are married because i have a charge on my back ground all we do is talk on the phone everyday and killing me because i cant see him

CaptiveAudience
01-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Just got married on 12-14-09. We started the process in the first week of February of 09 - so over 10 months. Not sure if that is normal but given the system, just know it is not fast so plan far ahead and be patient with each other. Federal Bureau of Prisons Policies on Inmate Marriages are available online at BOP.gov. But be warned that each institution has a supplement. Have your inmate ask for a copy to send to you. We had it all together but the staff took their sweet time and with staff changes and no feeling of urgency on their part it finally took us being persistent to get the action going. Hard to know how hard to push on things though as there can be retaliation. Though they would never admit that.

The inmate must make his or her request per the institution policy and it is best for him or her to discuss how the particular institution wants it done at that time with the unit counselor.

In accordance with BOP Policy Statement NUMBER: 5326.04 DATE: 2/17/98SUBJECT: Marriages of Inmates -

An inmate's request to marry shall be approved provided:

(The unit team is responsible for receiving the request and evaluating it based on the below criteria with assistance of others. Their recommendation goes to the Warden who is the approving authority.)

a. The inmate is legally eligible to marry;

(Must meet the eligibility requirements for the state in which they are incarcerated. The inmate's presentence investigative report (PSI or PSR) will list their marital status and it will be up to the inmate to prove any change from that status. So if they were married when that report was made they will need to provide a certified copy of his or her: divorce decree, annulment, spouse's death certificate, or other legal document.)

b. The inmate is mentally competent;

(Beware they can ask for a psychological evaluation. But there is usually an evaluation done when they enter the system and during the regular semi-annual team meetings a note is made of any psychological issues needing to be addressed so you are likely to already be aware of any problems here which would include mental defect, disease, or age making someone unable to make appropriate decisions for themselves.)

c. The intended spouse has verified, ordinarily in writing, an intention to marry the inmate; and

(You would think this would be the easy part. Writing a letter saying yes! But even when you are writing the Warden asking for his assistance in getting this request going did not stop the individual who received those letters - yes plural - from asking that I be available during a visit to answer that question again in person - just to make sure I had not changed my mind since so much time had passed! Not a joke! I was also initially asked - in error - to prove my eligibility to marry. That is not their job!)

d. The marriage poses no threat to institution security or good order, or to the protection of the public.

(This part is a bugger. It is what they used primarily to hold everything up. You will have a problem if there are any issues of citizenship. Also the spouse will have a background check of them done. Be aware they are looking at you and your intended to see if you are trying to gain some legal advantage having to do with them continuing in some illegal activity, either of you gaining citizenship, or in some way (in their opinion) interferring with the legal process such as the ability to testify as a witness. The security level of the institution and Public Safety Factors that may apply to the inmate can make this part of the process more difficult as well. Just so those of you who may be curious - we had none of these problems and it still took over 10 months! The Captain of the Guard does this portion of the evaluation.)

When all of the above is said and done it is routed through channels from the Unit Team through the Captain and to the Warden. It has to be done precisely by them or it will get returned for having even one signature line longer than another! No joke. And routing can take weeks!

Now when all is said and done! Congratulations on getting this far. The Warden will send you, the intended spouse, a letter it will detail what you need to do from there. I won't go into all the details here as that will depend a great deal on the specific institutions policies - but for me this part was done within three weeks so we could finally be married. It is not necessarily inexpensive either. Be prepared to pay extra to have the official at the ceremony and there may be extra costs on the license if the inmate cannot (and they can't) participate in certain premarital counseling or educational courses. If you are not willing to do it with the intitutions people you will also have to take the extra time to have the person you choose prove their capacity to perform the ceremony and undergo a background check. It is likely the number of people able to attend the ceremony would be limited to the person performing the ceremony, the intended spouse and guests totaling no more than would be allowed in a visitation (this including the intended spouse). Also the inmate will not be allowed to wear anything other than regular prison visitation attire and the guests and intended spouse will have to meet the same dress requirements as are in place for a visitation. Be sure to have the inmate find out the procedures for acquiring a wedding ring well in advance. Sorry no cake - unless you can get it from the vending machines. If you are lucky an the COs are in a good mood - he may get to kiss the bride. So much more depends on the institution and security level of the inmate. I was lucky - my inmate is in a low facility.

So to any and all - it was well worth it - though sometimes difficult! Good luck and if I can answer any questions, I will be happy to try. I wish I had started all of this knowing even half of what I do now!

DS

CaptiveAudience
01-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Not sure if you have already gotten your information but yes you will need a Florida license. When the Warden approves the request to marry he will send a letter to the appropriate agency for the license. You will need to go to that agency (take the copy of the letter you will receive from the Warden). For him you will only need that letter. I would also recommend that you complete the advance application information online and bring a printout of that with you. Again that portion is time sensitive as well. It was surprisingly easy at that point. You obtain the license and then have to send it by mail in to him to have him sign it in front of a notary. You have already sworn to your portion when you got the marriage application. Once he has signed then that is the document you will need for the individual performing the ceremony to complete. Be sure that the approval has been given in advance for that document to come in on the date of the wedding. I advise you place the document in a plain envelope and write on the front Marriage License. Makes things a little easier. Be patient - the process can take a very long time to get to this point. But it is worth it. Let me know if you have other questions.

Sweetswife
01-10-2010, 06:26 PM
mine is in the mansfield ohio prison...has anyone been married there and know the cost...or the rules?????

I just called the chaplain of Belmont Correctional. The rules are different for state and federal prisons. In order to get a license for state prisons in Ohio, an attorney must be hired and go on the behalf of you fiance' to the Marriage license bureau in the county of your residence. Then it can be approved, but very few inmates in Ohio state facilities marry due to the cost and paperwork in getting all approved. The chaplains also do not marry you. They will only act as witnesses. I was told to call back if and when I get a lawyer and the marriage license and then he would help me with the remaining steps. It sounds costly to me. My husband to be will leave the state institution in August and depending on the time he needs to do for the feds, we may or may not officiate our vows in a federal institution. I hope my recent call to the chaplain helps you. I did not know if Mansfield was state or federal. Good luck.

prodicaldaugter
01-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Hello ladies I just wanted to update this a little ... I got a phone call this morning from his case manager and we have been approved, she has the letter in her hand. She explained somethings to me i.e. I should have the letter within two weeks, information about the justice of the piece etc. So I am happy right now, oh yes I am not sure how accurate this is but she did kind of insinuate that I don't have a choice of dates (said that she will contact the justice of the piece lady, and she would let us know what date she is able to perform the ceremony). Also just an FYI I completed the information and sent in all the documents the end of September beginning of October, they lost them so I pretty much started over mid November, his case manager approved it and forwarded it to the warden on December 11, 2009. Good luck ladies and I will continue to keep you all informed.

Bryson's Gir
02-08-2010, 12:52 PM
It worked for me. I called his counselor and been emailing his chaplin on a regular basis. We got approved for our wedding on March 19, 2010. We actually started the process back in November. I was really worried because I am from hawaii and he is housed in California so we were concerned about the timing because i am not able to just pop into the county clerks office. but if you are blessed like i was with such a supportive chaplin and counselor it does really help the process along. the "wedding packet" people talk about for me was just a very simple 5 question sheet. Maybe State side is different the Federal but we are getting married next month at his facility USP ATWATER, CA

for those interested in marrying your prisoner:

you know you are allowed to call the facility and speak with either the chaplin or a counselor about specifics concerning getting married. worked for me!

Lockdownlove10
02-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Does anyone know how the marriage system in Mckean work's....

MrsBaylis
04-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Does anyone have any information on getting married in a federal prison camp? If so please message me or comment back. He is in ocilla GA at Irwin county detention facility right now in federal holding until his sentencing on May 24th. Any information is much appreciated. Thanks

english2791
04-24-2010, 10:23 PM
i know crazy question but is the bride allowed to have a bouquet of flowers?

teyesbaby
05-06-2010, 07:58 PM
First u have wait 4 him to be place in the prison where he'll be serving his time. U need 2 write to his caseworker to inform them of yall plans to be married. The caseworker will mail u a form 4 u 2 complete, once u send it back the warden of that prison has 2 sign off on it then a date will be set for yall 2 get married. Congraulations!

StephanieluvsBr
06-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Mine is in a military facility ... they don't do anything like what is done in the fedearl facilities. Hopefully some of you find this helpful. I would, if it applied to me, so thank you for sharing it!

Grreneyes1023
06-16-2010, 10:35 PM
do any of you know of a way to get married through the mail or by phone. Someone told my ol man that

Ronsbaby
06-21-2010, 05:30 PM
my baby is in federal an has asked his conslour bout us getting married, the letter of intent to marry the inmate has got to be notirized! he was also told to put in that you intend to marry him, you want to marry him, that you are aware of the time he'll be doing and that you still intend and want to be married! it needs to say bout all of that doesn't have to be those exact words but needs to be stated that you intend and want to get married to him, and that you are aware of the amount of time he has left ---
other then that we aren't any further yet!

miss brick
07-12-2010, 01:32 AM
does anyone have any information about the mariage procedure for usp lewisburg up im p.a thank you

myheart76
07-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Hello ladies I just wanted to update this a little ... I got a phone call this morning from his case manager and we have been approved, she has the letter in her hand. She explained somethings to me i.e. I should have the letter within two weeks, information about the justice of the piece etc. So I am happy right now, oh yes I am not sure how accurate this is but she did kind of insinuate that I don't have a choice of dates (said that she will contact the justice of the piece lady, and she would let us know what date she is able to perform the ceremony). Also just an FYI I completed the information and sent in all the documents the end of September beginning of October, they lost them so I pretty much started over mid November, his case manager approved it and forwarded it to the warden on December 11, 2009. Good luck ladies and I will continue to keep you all informed.

Hi, thanks for the information if was really helpful. Im looking to start the marriage process as soon as my Babe gets to the facility. Oh and by the way, I see you stay in Orlando, thats where we are moving to when he gets out. :)

prodicaldaugter
07-19-2010, 12:21 AM
Hi, thanks for the information if was really helpful. Im looking to start the marriage process as soon as my Babe gets to the facility. Oh and by the way, I see you stay in Orlando, thats where we are moving to when he gets out. :)

Thanks, do you know what facility he is designate for?

english2791
08-21-2010, 02:36 PM
does anyone know if marriages are able to take place in mcdowell county west virginia?

livicaraveo
08-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Hey I have a quick question see if maybe u can help me out my fiancee is in prison in Santa Fe NM we recently found out that we cant get married by proxy in the state fo NM so we have to get married in TX but not sure what i have to do will someone please help me out im confused and not real good dealing with the law dont have very patient but im ready to get this taken care of with my husband he loves me and i love him so any suggestions or anything to help me out will be very appreciated

Lonely in love

klu
11-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Does anyone know if a federal inmate must be married a certain amount of time before he can be released to his wife upon his release?

Coconut
11-17-2010, 11:33 PM
does anyone have any information about the mariage procedure for usp lewisburg up im p.a thank you

Not sure if your still interested in this information, but I was married at Allenwood which is right down the street. The rules for both prisons are pretty much the same. First thing that needs to be done is your man needs to go talk to his counselor and the chaplin. You can pm me if you want to know details on what we had to do. Take care and good luck!

Coconut
11-17-2010, 11:34 PM
do any of you know of a way to get married through the mail or by phone. Someone told my ol man that

There is no way to do this. It has to be done in person.

henrypints
01-18-2011, 12:48 AM
Last year my one cousin brother's wedding was in Kuala Lumpur City. Unfortunately I was no there but my family described the marriage. It was very best. Federal way flowers and beautiful wedding was there.

cassettelover
01-20-2011, 02:35 PM
helpful link! thanks

20YearsTooLong
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Hi, I'm new to this site. My man and I started the marriage process about 2 weeks ago. I filled out the paperwork and sent in copies of my divorce papers. He filled out his part and the counselor stated that he received it. If all the paperwork is finished on time, we will be married in April. He is in a FPC in Alexandria, LA. Anyone have any experience with Louisiana procedure on federal marriages? Any reply will do and I appreciate it in advance.

Randysgirl4ever
02-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Will they will let you get married if you have felony that was lowered to obstruction of justice?

fascinigirl
02-09-2011, 08:22 PM
does anyone knows the rules in getting married at the federal prison Pollack unit in LA? Can they Warden authorize it even if is a HIGh risk prison?

kfs
02-15-2011, 10:35 PM
How do I go about getting married at JBCC ? When visits has been messed up due to the cut back on staff.

Coconut
02-15-2011, 11:55 PM
How do I go about getting married at JBCC ? When visits has been messed up due to the cut back on staff.

when you are married, the regular visit staff won't be running the visit room. you should get married on a day other than visit days. so visit mess ups shouldnt effect your marriage ceremony.

i was married in a fed institution a year and a half ago and that's how it was for us.

english2791
02-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi, I'm new to this site. My man and I started the marriage process about 2 weeks ago. I filled out the paperwork and sent in copies of my divorce papers. He filled out his part and the counselor stated that he received it. If all the paperwork is finished on time, we will be married in April. He is in a FPC in Alexandria, LA. Anyone have any experience with Louisiana procedure on federal marriages? Any reply will do and I appreciate it in advance.

we have been trying to get married for almost a year for them to say you can accomplish it in a few months i find hard to believe:angry:

Coconut
02-16-2011, 12:39 PM
we have been trying to get married for almost a year for them to say you can accomplish it in a few months i find hard to believe:angry:

It really all depends on the inmate's counselor and how much of a jerk they are. It took about 3 months from the start of paperwork until the day we were married. You just have to really ride them and always make multiple copies of all paperwork filled out and documents you need to send in just in case they "lose" it.

english2791
02-16-2011, 03:52 PM
It really all depends on the inmate's counselor and how much of a jerk they are. It took about 3 months from the start of paperwork until the day we were married. You just have to really ride them and always make multiple copies of all paperwork filled out and documents you need to send in just in case they "lose" it.

from what i have observed on here 1 year is a standard waiting time and you also have to deal with the different states they all wear you down with their laziness and stupidity federal employees do there best work when they do nothing at all most of them would be unemployable in the real world:(

Coconut
02-17-2011, 12:59 AM
from what i have observed on here 1 year is a standard waiting time and you also have to deal with the different states they all wear you down with their laziness and stupidity federal employees do there best work when they do nothing at all most of them would be unemployable in the real world:(

agreed ... here in pa the boys are always locked down and i think its because they dont wanna work.

i do wish ya the best of luck and hopefully things will work out pretty soon :D

english2791
02-18-2011, 12:25 PM
finally after 10 months i have his paperwork to take to get the license does any one know the date of the next ceremony is it April or May ?

racheldionisia
02-25-2011, 04:31 PM
I second english2791's question... We're in the same boat and I think they're jerking us around until its closer to the next month they have weddings. Its getting very hard waiting around for someone else to set the date of OUR most important day.

english2791
03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Finally after 10 months im picking up our license on Friday costing me $300 to fly down and make a special trip but i had no choice as the prison won't put us on the list to be married without a copy of it

english2791
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
from what i can gather its the last week of April but no official word yet seems a strange week to me as its directly after Easter Sunday

english2791
03-02-2011, 09:06 AM
we just found out last night its April 5th

20YearsTooLong
03-30-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm so excited, we were approved and will be getting married on April 7, 2011. My honey and I will finally become husband and wife. We started the process at the beginning of January and was approved last week. Got the phone call today regarding the date and time and where I need to go to get the license. "firewks:"firewks:

tedwards
04-12-2011, 10:12 PM
my baby is in wilcox state prinson does any one have any info about getting married there

Mrs_W
05-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Hi:
Were u able to select a date or did they give u an appointed date?

when you are married, the regular visit staff won't be running the visit room. you should get married on a day other than visit days. so visit mess ups shouldnt effect your marriage ceremony.

i was married in a fed institution a year and a half ago and that's how it was for us.

Soulyrical
05-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi:
Were u able to select a date or did they give u an appointed date?

This is my concern, because I am 1400 miles away from him. I can't just be there at a drop of a hat, but I guess I may have no choice.

english2791
05-06-2011, 01:09 PM
I ended up having to drive my son and i it was 17 hrs one way ended up being more like 20

crashgirl
06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Thank you so very much this document has answered many of my questions!

BritneyGiggles
10-02-2011, 09:44 PM
can you get married at a county jail the same way as federal prisons?

susiewinter
05-16-2012, 04:23 PM
My boyfriend Is in Edgefield South Carolina satellite camp they are trying to give him the run around on us getting married he is gonna talk to his team unit but if they tell him no what do we need to do he said someone else tried getting married there and they wouldnt let him but on the Edgefield BOP website it is saying only the warden can approve or deny the request should I try to contact the warden myself does anyone else on here know of anyone that has gotten married there in Edgefield.

forAllan
05-28-2012, 02:01 PM
I realize this is an old post but the link doesnt work is there anyone else that has a link for Federal marriage info?
thank you

forAllan
05-28-2012, 02:05 PM
I received this link today in my email. It's an updated statement on Federal Inmate Marriages. I hope that this helps some of you that have loved ones in Federal Prisons.

Federal Inmate Marriages (http://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5326_004.pdf)

Patti
The link doesnt work I know this is an old post but is there a new link you could post or message me?
thank you so much

WeddingsInside
06-07-2012, 03:37 AM
Hello - I'm doing some research for a TV show about weddings and wanted to ask if you think it would be possible to make a film about people getting married when their partners are in prison. Reading your posts it sounds like its difficult but some of you have managed it. Would anyone who is planning their wedding be willing to tell me a little bit about it? If anyone out there would consider taking part in a TV show were we film the preparations to your wedding and then the wedding itself I'd love to hear from you too. Thanks very much.

jodigirl88
09-28-2012, 07:42 AM
I get an error when I go to this link.

thanks,

Jo

jodigirl88
09-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Hello - I'm doing some research for a TV show about weddings and wanted to ask if you think it would be possible to make a film about people getting married when their partners are in prison. Reading your posts it sounds like its difficult but some of you have managed it. Would anyone who is planning their wedding be willing to tell me a little bit about it? If anyone out there would consider taking part in a TV show were we film the preparations to your wedding and then the wedding itself I'd love to hear from you too. Thanks very much.

We are planning to be married inside, but he hasn't even got to RDC yet. He asked me March 1, 2012, we were going to get married Sept. 1, 2012, but he got arrested Aug. 3, 2012. He wants to wait until our year anniversary will be on the outside.. so he might be getting out March 2014. We are going to get married, just not sure when or how to go about it. Might be willing to allow this, if he is willing. I'll let you know.. and it might be too far away for you, if you are wanting to do this sooner than we can get married.

Jo

Lazy Girl
10-01-2012, 10:21 AM
How do we get more info on marrying an inmate while in federal? This post is pretty old.

jodigirl88
10-01-2012, 10:23 AM
I agree. It is pretty old, hopefully someone will answer our questions soon!! Wish I could help. The only thing I know is it might be the last year they are in when you can do it, but of course that was from old posts.

RevDebbie
10-01-2012, 11:41 AM
How do we get more info on marrying an inmate while in federal? This post is pretty old.

The forum won't let me attach the current Federal Inmate Marriage Policy, so here are instructions on how to download the current policy to your own computer:

Click this link: http://www.bop.gov/DataSource/execute/dsPolicyLoc

When the page opens, look for Inmate and Custody Management - 5000 Series. Click on Browse Series (next to 5000 Series)

When the new page opens, scroll down until you see 5326.05 Marriages of Inmates and click the words Marriages of Inmates to download the current policy to your computer in PDF Format.

Open the file and read the policy.

Hope this helps everyone out. :-)

Rev. Debbie

Lazy Girl
10-01-2012, 04:20 PM
I hope not!!! I want to marry my man next year!! I agree. It is pretty old, hopefully someone will answer our questions soon!! Wish I could help. The only thing I know is it might be the last year they are in when you can do it, but of course that was from old posts.

Lazy Girl
10-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Thank you so much!!! This is very helpful! I am going to read it right now!! :DThe forum won't let me attach the current Federal Inmate Marriage Policy, so here are instructions on how to download the current policy to your own computer:

Click this link: http://www.bop.gov/DataSource/execute/dsPolicyLoc

When the page opens, look for Inmate and Custody Management - 5000 Series. Click on Browse Series (next to 5000 Series)

When the new page opens, scroll down until you see 5326.05 Marriages of Inmates and click the words Marriages of Inmates to download the current policy to your computer in PDF Format.

Open the file and read the policy.

Hope this helps everyone out. :-)

Rev. Debbie

jodigirl88
10-02-2012, 09:38 AM
I read it too, doesn't say anything about a wait time does it?? Hmmmm... I hope you get to marry your man next year. We are planning the same thing. He has 1 year and 8 months to do. With time-cuts!!! But he is still in County right now...ggrrrr... He just drew me a precious moments bride/groom and said will you marry me?? Which he already asked me March 1st, down on one knee, a ring... the whole bit. In a gazebo at our local park, it was so romantic!! He is awesome, I miss him so much!! Thanks for the info again!!

RevDebbie
10-02-2012, 11:13 AM
I read it too, doesn't say anything about a wait time does it?? Hmmmm... I hope you get to marry your man next year. We are planning the same thing. He has 1 year and 8 months to do. With time-cuts!!! But he is still in County right now...ggrrrr... He just drew me a precious moments bride/groom and said will you marry me?? Which he already asked me March 1st, down on one knee, a ring... the whole bit. In a gazebo at our local park, it was so romantic!! He is awesome, I miss him so much!! Thanks for the info again!!

I've been officiating weddings at a federal prison in NJ (FCI Fairton) for the past four years. They have their weddings once a year (on a non-visitation weekday in June), all on the same day. I believe most of the federal institutions follow the once a year policy for weddings. Your fiances need to ask their unit managers if their institutions hold weddings once a year or on an as requested basis. Then you will know what your wait time is. Hope this helps. :-)

Rev. Debbie

jodigirl88
10-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Thank you, Rev Debbie. I will do that!!

stft1229
10-04-2012, 12:40 PM
My fiance is in Queens Detention Facility (182-22 150th Avenue, Jamaica, NY 11413 ) and we plan on getting married soon .. Can someone give me any information about it please :-)

Lazy Girl
10-04-2012, 02:25 PM
No it doesn't say. If California let's us get married being that he is not legal in this country then yay for us! Good luck I am sure you are not facing the same issues I am! Awww how romantic!!!

JamesWhitesBaby
03-17-2013, 11:15 PM
I would consider it as long as it's tasteful and real.

missingthemr
12-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Hello ladies i am new to the forum and really havent seen much about marriages in ray brook and when i went to bop.gov the pdf would download but i couldnt open it. Just really want to know the basics like pricing info about marriage packets time frames ect and also are they allowed trailer visits if so how long after ? Thanks in advance :)

4MyJoe
12-13-2013, 12:42 AM
From what I understand, you have to write the counselor a letter about your intent to marry your loved one. They will receive a packet on how to proceed with getting married. I also believe the prison sets asides dates that they will marry couples, usually in the visitation room. I think they allow 5 (maybe less) visitors to witness the ceremony. Couples are given some time together after the wedding and then you have to leave and return on a regular visiting day. There are no conjugal visits anywhere in the federal system.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong :)

nevaeh2morrow
12-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Have your husband to be contact his counselor for a wedding packet

MrsRodriquez13
01-07-2014, 08:54 AM
You are not wrong. My fiance just said in Fed I had to write a letter of intent to marry to his case manager and from there she will request the marriage packet. I have to have all my paperwork like divorce decrees etc. Then after the marriage packet we will be set up with a date. I already sent the letter of intent so Ill let yall know step by step what happens

MrsRodriquez13
01-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Well my letter of intent got approved so im ecstatic. Now he said get my paperwork together so i can send everything back with the packet

2014isouryear
01-15-2014, 02:07 PM
From what I understand, you have to write the counselor a letter about your intent to marry your loved one. They will receive a packet on how to proceed with getting married. I also believe the prison sets asides dates that they will marry couples, usually in the visitation room. I think they allow 5 (maybe less) visitors to witness the ceremony. Couples are given some time together after the wedding and then you have to leave and return on a regular visiting day. There are no conjugal visits anywhere in the federal system.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong :)

We're beginning our process today. I hope everything goes smoothly. I have been in line at the prison before and there was a woman in front of me who got married there that day. We have a little bit of information so far I guess we just have to wait on further information.

2014isouryear
01-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Well my letter of intent got approved so im ecstatic. Now he said get my paperwork together so i can send everything back with the packet

That's awesome! Congrats!!!

hizcand3
01-26-2014, 02:45 AM
I can't download the link, it says it's missing.

hizcand3
01-26-2014, 03:18 AM
Praise the LORD!
Is it possible to have an outside minister officiate the nuptials vs the chaplin provided by thefacility? I'd like to use a pastor who would officiate as I do (A Religious Service) of the same faith.

Thank you and God Bless you

LifeTraveler
01-28-2014, 10:10 PM
This thread has gone WAY off topic, and the link posted by the OP does not work anyway, so this thread is officially closed.