View Full Version : BOW HUNTING in Missouri

jerica
07-17-2006, 03:56 PM
My husband is a convicted felon. He was considered a violent felon (or dangerous) because of the assault charges. He served one year and just completed 5 years probation. We have 3 boys and we want to know is my husband ever going to get to go hunting with them to teach them how to hunt? Especially bow hunting, i know it it says firearms never for a convicted felon but we are not getting much advice from anyone....one of the probabtion officers we asked said that when he was off probation he got all his rights back including firearms and i know that is wrong but his probation officer didnt know if he could hunt either because she said she just knew what they could and could not do while "On" probation. Does anyone know we live in missouri but no one can tell us the truth and if he can he wants to bow hunt but if he cant he doesnt want to do it then get in trouble. please help. jerica

mikebook
07-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I love archery...I do not hunt, but I love to kill haybales. I would think that you could hunt with a bow. However, you might want to switch to killing haybales and use a digital camera to take pictures of deer. I know it is not the same thing, but it is something. Take your children camping, fishing, and everything, it is good for them.

jerica
07-18-2006, 03:11 PM
can he even have one in the house?

reddawgsluv
07-18-2006, 04:14 PM
jerica-my husband was incarcerated in an ohio prison, upon his release he did the interstate transfer here to Va. He is on probation in Va through Ohios courts, if that makes any sense. Anyway, we asked his p.o. officer here what he can and can not have. She said he can not have any firearm or pocket knife over an inch blade, but he could have a bow. HOwever, th is in Va, and Im not sure the laws on the fluctuate from state to state. My advice to you is to post this in the missouri forum and hopefully someone there can advise you...Good luck...

4ever2gether
07-18-2006, 06:15 PM
It is my understanding that those on parole and probation here in Wisconsin are also allowed to do archery and bowhunt. Hopefully this is true, because my husband and I both love archery. You would think there should be a bit of consistency in this from state to state, but you never know.

DaveMoff
07-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Speaking from Minnesota, I know of at least one convicted felon, a lifelong hunter, who has been assured that there is no problem with him taking up archery or bowhunting. Nor is there any problem with him owning a bow and related equipment.

In a weird example of legal hairsplitting, a crossbow COULD be considered a "firearm" in the right circumstances (that, is, if someone wanted it to be). The statute is so vaguely written that, quite frankly, a slingshot, squirt gun, or one's own throwing arm COULD be considered a violation (I know of no one who has been prosecuted for possession of both arms or a squirt gun, however). I do know of a case where a fellow was charged with firearms violations over the possession of a paintball gun. I do not believe he was convicted, however.

Obviously this applies only to Minnesota. I have no information at all regarding other states.

1st time
09-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Does anyone know about the rules regarding bow hunting in ohio with a felony?

Tim

stlcru
09-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Im from Missouri, and im not a bowhunter, but a close friend of mine is. He is a convicted felon, and hunts with bow every season, he has told me that he has been assured by his p.o that it is not against the law in Missouri to possess a bow. Also I'm pretty sure you can posess a black powder gun in Missouri if you're a convicted felon.

arh1592
03-01-2007, 01:12 PM
The only way to really be sure what can and can't be done in this situation, is to consult a game official for your state. I wouldn't risk a question of that magnitude on hearsay.

DaveMoff
03-01-2007, 01:31 PM
An excellent suggestion--your state's Department of Conservation or Department of Natural Resources most likely has a toll-free number. And will almost certainly be happy to provide the needed information.

PTO-29412
03-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Many states allow you to petition the courts to get your rights to use HUNTING weapons restored. This does not give you the right to firearms such as pistols, etc. But hunting rifles, bows, etc.

Contact your family lawyer and he can petition this for you.

DaveMoff
03-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Minnesota has that provision as well. I know little about it, other than that one attorney I talked to claimed to know of only one person who had ever filed such a petition, and that it had been denied. However, he said a lot of other things that were not true, so please do not consider this definitive.

There are, as I understand it, two kinds of legal "disabilities" involving firearms possession. Pretty much any felony or a 5th degree Domestic Assault conviction gets you on the no-gun list of the Federal government. Some other states (including Minnesota) have specific offenses which, while not imposed as felonies, still bar one from firearms possession. If attempting to clear one's record, it's important to make sure that both are clear. One can contact the ATF via any federal issues, an attorney (if you have a good one)will most likely be the best source of information on state restrictions and possible challenges to them.

maxxmerlin212
09-24-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm an ex offender 20 plus years ago myself but no idea if a bow is legal sorry.

shadowwally
09-27-2007, 02:14 AM
Right now with the "sting" going on with illegal hunting, not saving tags, labeling meat, selling racks, this is all in the papers because it is stretcing from Wyoming to Kansas. i do believe bows and black powder are allowed, but the main people conducting the sting arrests and these people are getting time! is the department of conservation, so i would call them immediately. good lucky and happy hunting, marian

ellibre73
09-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Does anyone know for sure about felons in Arizona, owning and/or hunting with a bow? After they are off probation and getting their civil rights back?
Thank you

SomeonesFriend
09-20-2009, 07:32 AM
They changed the law in Missouri recently. It is all firearms.

The federal law doesn't apply to muzzle loaders, but Missouri state law does.

ryansheart
09-20-2009, 08:13 PM
My husband is a convicted felon. He was considered a violent felon (or dangerous) because of the assault charges. He served one year and just completed 5 years probation. We have 3 boys and we want to know is my husband ever going to get to go hunting with them to teach them how to hunt? Especially bow hunting, i know it it says firearms never for a convicted felon but we are not getting much advice from anyone....one of the probabtion officers we asked said that when he was off probation he got all his rights back including firearms and i know that is wrong but his probation officer didnt know if he could hunt either because she said she just knew what they could and could not do while "On" probation. Does anyone know we live in missouri but no one can tell us the truth and if he can he wants to bow hunt but if he cant he doesnt want to do it then get in trouble. please help. jerica
My husband is in prison right now because he was bow hunting while on probation be careful

DaveMoff
09-21-2009, 12:55 AM
In each case and each state it is different. In Minnesota, for example, full civil rights are restored after the sentence is "discharged" (that is, probation completed) but if the sentence was for a "crime of violence" there can be restrictions on firearms ownership, particularly handguns. Bow hunting is just fine in Minnesota but, as in many states, a crossbow is considered the same as a firearm for hunting purposes (though I know of no restrictions on merely owning one or target shooting).

Regardless of what a P.O. said, it would be worthwhile to talk with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Make a few phone calls and just ask some informal questions. It's very possible that you'll get an answer without having to pay a cent.

If your state has its statutes online (and most do), you can do the research yourself. Just look up felony convictions and what civil rights if any are restored on discharge of the sentence--or what you have to do to get them back.

It is possible to petition the court to restore firearms rights if they are not restored automatically. That will of course take an attorney and to my understanding one had better provide a good reason if you expect a judge to rule in your favor. Not many judges are going to be impressed with the importance hunting can hold for a family. For that matter, very few in the law seem to "get" that people who grow up with guns and learn to handle them properly rarely end up shooting each other.

I think every kid who has grown up on video games and music videos needs to spend a year or two on a farm. Chances are the crime rate would drop almost overnight.

Wooly Rhino
12-14-2009, 03:00 AM
BY FEDERAL LAW NO felon my own or have a BOW in their home. Bow hunting is illegal for felons. Anything that can project anything is a firearm. Even slingshots are illegal. Federal Law trumps State Law.

Having said that, who cares. If you want to Hunt with a bow, do it. Too damned many laws anyway.

MNReptiles
09-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Felons can bowhunt in fact if they are disabled they can use a crossbow. Don't listen to the idiots on here saying a Bow is a firearm in the USA, If you read the Federal Deffinition of a Firearm it is "any weapon"... which will or is designed to or
may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive" (18 USC 921 (a)
(3) (A)). As such, the federal definition of "firearm" is broader than the state definition. Simply
put, federal firearm statutes cover and include not only handguns, but also rifles and shotguns. For
the purposes of this article, the only weapons that would not be covered by the federal firearm
statutes would be either antique firearms, manufactured before 1898 or a muzzle loading rifle,
shotgun or pistol, designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute and which could not
use fixed ammunition.

So yes your Husband can bow hunt.