View Full Version : NEED ANY Info on Alto (Arrendale??) Women's Facility

Sunshine's Mom
07-14-2006, 04:15 PM
i deparately need info about Alto's Women's facility that is now located where Arrendale men's facility was. possibly Lee Arrendale?? (or that is my best guess considering the small amount of info i've found online about it).

My 18 yr. old daugher was transferred there this week & all i can find online about it is about what it was like while it was for male's only. and it sounded absolutely awful and horrid.

i'm very very scared for my daughter's safety as she will probably be there at least a year.

ANY info would be appreciated.

Kat
07-14-2006, 07:14 PM
I am so sorry,I dont know anything about this place but I am sure someone will come along soon that will be able to help you..take care

kat

Eternal Hope
07-15-2006, 05:25 AM
Hi Sunshine's Mom, welcome to the Georgia Forums!! Arrendale State Prison, known as Alto, when it was a facility for juvenile males received notoriety as a rough place due to many fights that occurred there. The transition from male occupancy has been acheived and it is now a women's institution. The Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that Commissioner James Donald decided to remove the male juveniles from the facility by doing a switchover and removing female prisoners from Washington State Prison in Davisboro,sending them to Arrendale; and sending the males from Arrendale to Washington, which is now an all male prison- in 2004 and 2005. Remaining males from Alto (Arrendale) were sent to other state prisons, including Macon State Prison, where they arrived the week of 12/10/04...and the switch was completed in 2005.
An associate of Donald said that Arrendale is much more expensive to run than is Washington State Prison, and correction officials admit Arrendale is more difficult to keep secure due to the layout of some of the cellblocks. Arrendale has eight housing blocks, built over several decades. Some of the dorms are constructed to where it makes it difficult for the guards to make easy visual checks. This is why they felt it would be better for women, due to the lack of anger issues as compared with the young juvenile males the facility use to have. Hopefully, your daughter will be fine there, and no further problems will occur. Do not let the old rumors and truths about Arrendale as a male camp worry you too much. Now that it is female I am sure they have stepped up security and it is a much calmer safer place. Hugs to you!!! Stay strong and keep us posted!!!

ginmartin100
07-16-2006, 07:36 AM
I can only speak from personal experience but my relative that was in alto had issues with some staff. She never came out directly and said (becuz of taped phone conversations) but I got the impression she was sexually harrassed/assaulted. I had to go way up the ladder to get her out of there. There are also a couple of staff members I personally spoke with that were total assholes (excuse my french!) Best thing I can recommend is keep in close touch with your daughter and visit as often as possible so they know that she has someone on the outside that can and will raise hell if necessary.

honeychild
07-16-2006, 12:14 PM
She has been sentenced to a year and a day and she will be out by January. I talk to her often and she ONLY hates the confinment, and the restrictive routine, and of course the food.
She was recently bitten by a spider and was placed in the Administrative Seg Unit (its used for medical and discipline too) she cannot use the phone while in there, but other than that she is just trying to get OUT! She has no problems with the C.O's except for their lack of respect in speaking and dealing with the inmates. There are still males there but nowhere near them. They may see them in passing across the field, but rarely.
I hope all is well, with your daughter. If you call during normal business hours they are happy to tell you anything they can about your loved one, but after hours the C.O.'s are restricted as far as what they can say. I hope this helps to ease some of your anxiety....please PM me anytime!

robertev35
11-13-2009, 08:06 PM
I have a friend there who is scared to death and begging for help. I wish I could help her but can't. She's begging for such normal things like female hyigene items. I haven't receive any mail from her in months. I'm too very concern for her safety.

The address is :
her name, her GDC number
Arrendale State Prison
Po box 709
Alto, Ga 30510

i deparately need info about Alto's Women's facility that is now located where Arrendale men's facility was. possibly Lee Arrendale?? (or that is my best guess considering the small amount of info i've found online about it).

My 18 yr. old daugher was transferred there this week & all i can find online about it is about what it was like while it was for male's only. and it sounded absolutely awful and horrid.

i'm very very scared for my daughter's safety as she will probably be there at least a year.

robertev35
11-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Don't flatter yourself. You're right. they are assholes. I pray for my friend daily now.

I can only speak from personal experience but my relative that was in alto had issues with some staff. She never came out directly and said (becuz of taped phone conversations) but I got the impression she was sexually harassed/assaulted. I had to go way up the ladder to get her out of there. There are also a couple of staff members I personally spoke with that were total assholes (excuse my french!) Best thing I can recommend is keep in close touch with your daughter and visit as often as possible so they know that she has someone on the outside that can and will raise hell if necessary.

Sassy0725
11-14-2009, 10:37 AM
I can only speak from personal experience but my relative that was in alto had issues with some staff. She never came out directly and said (becuz of taped phone conversations) but I got the impression she was sexually harrassed/assaulted. I had to go way up the ladder to get her out of there. There are also a couple of staff members I personally spoke with that were total assholes (excuse my french!) Best thing I can recommend is keep in close touch with your daughter and visit as often as possible so they know that she has someone on the outside that can and will raise hell if necessary.

Been there and that is the best advice. Let Alto know that your daughter has someone on the outside who will be a voice to reckon with!!!!!!! That place can be crazy.

robertev35
11-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Sassy,

Please give us examples of things that happen at that prison. If too much just send me a private msg.

robertev35
11-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Good advice. i've been trying to do just that but she won't send me a visitation form. Either can't or won't. her last letter indicated that she will but never did NOR did receive any others from her. i'm starting to get worried. Could she be back in the "hole?"

charliesgirl497
12-22-2009, 12:25 PM
I did a short stint there...and yes it was a pretty bad place back in the day...now its just a max. security prison for women..its just like any other prison for women...its laid back the women there arent that bad...the warden there is pretty hard core so before any trouble starts she is on it (ms kennedy)
Just tell ur daughter to keep her eyes open dont let anyone take advantage of her and no matter what any of them say they are not ur friend this is prison we are talking about they are all criminals and they are good at what they do...need any other info let me know ...i deparately need info about Alto's Women's facility that is now located where Arrendale men's facility was. possibly Lee Arrendale?? (or that is my best guess considering the small amount of info i've found online about it).

charliesgirl497
12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
yeah the staff there is crazy...too
and some of the women are true gangstas
ill be praying for u
tell her to keep her nose clean

Sunshine's Mom
12-22-2009, 01:22 PM
just an update as i was the original poster on this thread,, with my above post dated 7/14/2006.

my daughter got out on 11/19/2008,, so she's been home for a year now & is doing pretty good. (so we are both in SC now).

to those of you that still has a loved one inside,, just hang in there & try to give them all the encouragement you can.

wishing a nice holiday season to all of you.

kim78
12-22-2009, 02:19 PM
thank you for the holiday wishes Sunshine I'm glad your daughter is doing well. I hadn't realized it had been over a year already!

missinmyoto206
08-09-2010, 05:20 PM
my girlfriend just went there any info on how late the phone is on an what time they can starte calling

Sunshine's Mom
08-10-2010, 10:40 AM
i just asked my daughter & she said when she was there the normal calling hours were:

Monday thru Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm (possibly 11:30)
Saturday/Sunday: upon arising til around 1am

hope this helps. :)

*NOTE:
sometimes my daughter didn't call when she was supposed to & it was mainly due to them having a surprise lock down or whatever. so remember to take into consideration whatever time(S) they do head count & also unannounced lock downs.

missinmyoto206
08-27-2010, 02:26 AM
i need some info about this prison my girl is there she told me visitaion form not approved yet i called down there they tell me she as to tell me he said but she has had visits wouldn't tell me with who