View Full Version : Parole Board Decision Definitions

Loving Miles
07-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Hello... Can anyone tell me what it means when the board states that their decision has been deferred? I would appreciate a response asap I'm going nuts here waiting to hear.

I had to call the board to find out..My husband hasn't even heard from them yet and he saw the baord 06/05/06. They told me that it could be deferred for many reasons. What possibly could they be waiting on?

My hair is grey, I have hives and I keep screaming at everyone. I hate this game, I don't want to play anymore........

mrsdragoness
07-12-2006, 05:18 PM
MOST of the time when they get a deferred decision its because they aren't finished with a class. They will defer the decision until the class is finished and they get a report from the instructor. About 80% of the prisoners who get a deferral do get their parole - but it goes by a case by base basis and how well they did in their classes.

Loving Miles
07-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Thank you for your quick response...He has not finished his AOP. He won't be done until December 06.. That's if the guy doesn't take anymore time off. Does this mean that his ERD will change in OTIS? My hubby told me that during his hearing he asked if NOT being finished with AOP would effect their decison and Barb Sampson replied not really..

So basically he got a deferral? I was hope that a deferred decision and a deferral were 2 seperate things.. Silly me.....

Also they told me that this decison was made last tuesday the 5th.. Why hasn't he heard anything yet? I called today to find this out but not yet have I spoken to him... He won't be happy. The lady on the phone told me that it was a good thing (deferred decision) cause that meant he hadn't been denied. What is your feelings on this?

Still going f @$#*^ crazy

mrsdragoness
07-12-2006, 05:39 PM
His ERD will not change, but he won't get a final decision until after AOP is done and the instructor sends in a report. If they grant him a parole at that time he SHOULD be released within 30 days of their decision.

My husbands ERD was September 1, 2005. He finished his last class in late September, but did not get a decision until November. Then they wanted him to complete the Intensive ReEntry Program as he had been in prison more than 18 years so he did not get released until May 16, 2006!

Loving Miles
07-12-2006, 06:04 PM
What was your hubby's charge? So what I'm understanding is even after AOP they can require him to go to MPRI for 6 months? Thats crap... My husband has been down for 6 years. If all that happens then he won't be home till next Sept/October 2007..

Why hasn't he received anything yet from the board? Could there possibly be any other reason for a deferral? I know I'm reaching for straws and I'm sorry for my ignorance (questions). I think I'm more heart broke now then I was the day of sentencing? I thought for sure that they would release him on his ERD 09/30/06.. He has no minor/major tickets, he's completed everyother class, he remains working, no past criminal history, college educated..His plea was manslaughter short form. Some a--hole broke into our house while we were sleeping and he chased him through the house the jerk jumped out our living room window and my hubby shot him. Being at that time Michigan didn;t have self-defense laws or protection of beings and property laws and the fact that the man was shot in our front yard we were told that he should take the plea or he would of been looking at a murder charge and 25 years to life. They said that cause the man was already out of the house that we were no longer in danger and there fore he would of most likely lost his defense argument. Again I thank you and my hat goes off to you for being there for your man for 18 years and supper congrats on his release. I'm sure you are in heaven as of now.... Personally I'm completeing heart broken at this moment. I liked it better for me when we didn't know the decision. Any advice you have would be appreciated...

mrsdragoness
07-12-2006, 07:01 PM
My husband was convicted of a sex offense with a 20-50 year sentence.. I can't go into details as he's on parole now, but I can tell you that I was shocked when he got a parole his FIRST time up!

Yes they could make him go to the ReEntry program, but I wasn't aware its 6 months now.. most are only 4 months and we heard they were going to lower them to 3. It will depend on how he does in AOP, etc. If they feel he needs the special classes that the Reentry program offers, then yes they will send him there.

I really think that the reason for the deferral is because he's not done with AOP... he HAS to finish before he can be paroled.

I understand your frustration but one thing with this life is you can NOT get your hopes up. You have to HOPE for the best at all times, but you also have to PREPARE yourself for the worst. You'll get thru this better if you do.

Loving Miles
07-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Thank you again....I understand what you were saying about getting your hopes up and for 6 years I always prepared for the worse and when good things happened it was a surprise. I think that is why I'm so upset now cause everything HAD been falling into place and now this is just another hurdle..Only this time, the hurdle is soooo high.

I wish the best for you and I hope that all your years of waiting has and will pay off. I KNOW that my hubby will fly straight when he returns or it is the wrath of me that he will have to deal with. HaHaHa

As far as MPRI, as of June my hubby's counsler told me that the program was 6 months long...If it's changed since then I'm not aware. GOd I hope he won't have to go...He has a job waiting and he is very self suffient and educated. Masters in engineering and a bachlor in graphic arts. Just finding a job for him in these 2 fileds will be difficult cause everyone does background checks. Lots of people think that others can not change. It's sad but true....Thats why I got so excited when they introduced HB5129,5130.. BUT as you know thats a dead end too....As long as Mr Vand---head is in charge.....

You are in my thoughts.....