View Full Version : GPS used by the MDOC

Melindaknapp
07-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Has anyone heard any information about the state of Michigan buying GPS equipment and basically using it in a tether like fashion as a way to reduce prison over crowding? Any info would be appriciated. MY husband thinks it falls under alternatives sentencing program by the MDOC

Loving Miles
07-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Has anyone heard any information about the state of Michigan buying GPS equipment and basically using it in a tether like fashion as a way to reduce prison over crowding? Any info would be appriciated. MY husband thinks it falls under alternatives sentencing program by the MDOC

It's for sex-offenders......It's a bill that hasn't been passed yet but has been up for review and it states that the committe has suggusted it be bi passed straight to the govener. At least thats what I got from Michigan Votes web-site

mrsdragoness
07-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Using tethers has been an alternative to prison for a while, but NOT ENOUGH. It keeps being suggested as an alternative, however, the state of MI has the LOCK EM UP attitude so its not being utilized nearly as much as it could be.

The Sex Offender bill is a separate issue. If it is passes then most likely all Sex Offenders who are on parole will have to wear a monitor. Oakland County is already placing many sex offenders on monitors.

Melindaknapp
07-13-2006, 02:28 PM
I had heard it was going to be used for sex offenders but I didn't believe it was going to be exclusive just for that type of crime. My husband's is a property crime.

mrsdragoness
07-13-2006, 07:07 PM
I've not seen anything proposed.. BUT I'll be the first to admit I'm not up to date on a lot of those types of issues.. I depend on you guys for that ;)