View Full Version : Early Release or Commutation

lprowse
06-23-2006, 04:59 PM
A friend has asked me to ask a question regarding her son. Her son is doing 8 - 20 for drug-related crimes. He's done 3 years so far. He has been a model prisoner. His mother (the friend) has significant health issues, which would be corroborated by a doctor. There are also some medical issues with his minor siblings. They have tried appeals to both the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court and lost (or may have simply been denied.) They asked the Judge to re-sentence, and the Judge denied the request. Mom was now told by the prison (Lakeland) that her only option left is to apply for early release based on hardship because of her (the Mother's) health. Is there such a thing? If so, can anyone give me any further information? If not, do you think the prison was probably telling her to apply for a Commutation of his sentance?

mrsdragoness
06-23-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm assuming that they are talking about Commutation.. I know they did things like hardship releases YEARS AGO, but I don't think they have done it in a long time!

lprowse
06-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Thank you very much. I know the chances of Commutation are pretty slim, but I also know she'd try just about anything at this point, and I certainly can't blame her. :)

mrsdragoness
06-23-2006, 06:32 PM
No I can't blame her either!! I wish her the best in this.

marmot
07-16-2006, 07:24 PM
Good Luck, Jenny from the block has only granted 5 commutations and those were for prisoners who were near death and zero pardons.
This is only one example of where I think she's not doing her job. She has the power (and background) to look at cases on their own merits and make decisions and she refuses to do so.
UGGG.

Lions Heart
07-18-2006, 07:38 AM
I am surprised to hear that she has granted 5 commutations. I really thought she hadn't granted any. That is very disappointing considering the the President grants more than that.

marmot
08-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Now that I know this, I'm firing her for not doing her job. I sincerely feel that issuing pardons and commuting sentences is part of the job that she's been elected to do and as in any job if you aren't doing it, you get fired. Don't know if the other candidate will do more but it'll be hard to do much less.

mabear
08-08-2006, 04:39 PM
It's pretty sad when Engler has her beat in this department. He granted 34.
(19 of them his last year in office) Governor Romney commuted 107. Governor Blanchard granted six commutations. Governor Milliken granted 95.

StacysWar030
08-08-2006, 06:02 PM
She's only granted 5 :eek: OMG There has to be a ton more that deserve it. 50,000 prisoners & only 5 are worthy?!?! I'd hate to see one of her own locked up!

I was pretty excited to see her get this position, sad to say she has proven us ALL wrong!

lp, I give you all my positive thoughts on this. Make sure she has all documentation necessary for Granholm. Hopefully she'll proove to have a heart in this.

Stacy