View Full Version : Michigan Prison Phone Complaint

06-21-2006, 10:30 AM

I live in Michigan and have a Son in the correctional facility in Muskegon Michigan. I can not beleive that the state lets the phone co. Sprint get away with what they are doing. If you are not a Sprint customer they just block your phone number. My son has been calling me for over a year , now they tell him my phone number is invalid. His Grandmother is 83 years old and they blocked her phone number, saying it was a cell phone, and it is not. I think every inmate in the Michigan prison system should protest Sprint and Evercom phone service by not useing the phone for 2 weeks, that would really put a hurt on Sprint. Something has to be done and the State officals sure isnt going to do it. The phone rates are so high I really fell sorry for the low income families. Thanks for listening.

06-21-2006, 01:02 PM

I separated your post into its own thread from a 2002 thread so we could discuss current phone issues....

Unfortunately the state does not care because Michigan makes Millions of $$ in kickbacks from Sprint! Protests have been tried in the past, however, they have not been successful. My husband and I participated in 2 of them, but few others actually stopped calling. Until more people participate, the protests will fall on deaf ears!

06-21-2006, 06:51 PM
You can call the prison and speak to the person that handles adding and changing phone numbers on the inmates list; I forget the person's title now! Anyways that person can investigate it further with Sprint to have it determined whether or not it is a cell or house phone number. We've had this happen before and I called the facility; the person was nice enough to research it and had the number added.

08-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Are inmates unable to call cell phones at all? I am staying with family members right now and I dont think they would appreciate me accepting collect calls on their line. I do have a cell phone though.

08-10-2006, 06:40 AM
Cell phones themselves are not equiped to take collect calls. If he can put your cell # on his phone list and the calls can be prepaid then you can do it, however, its not easy to get cell #'s on the phone lists at some prisons!

08-10-2006, 06:42 AM
My number is on his list already. Now, what do I do to prepay. Can I put money in his account or do I need to set something up on this end?

08-10-2006, 06:52 AM
You can send him the money to put in a phone account or you can call Correctional Billing and set it up yourself.. the cost is the same.

08-10-2006, 10:27 AM
If You Have A Phone That Can Do It And A Phone Company Forward Your Calls To The Cell Great

08-10-2006, 11:24 AM
If You Have A Phone That Can Do It And A Phone Company Forward Your Calls To The Cell Great

Works great but its also against policy ;) If you do it and get caught you will lose your phone privileges :(