View Full Version : Writing Letters to the Judge - Does it Help??

AllforMeechy
06-19-2006, 11:13 AM
I was just curious - has anyone written letters to the judge trying to explain their loved ones good character? My BF asked that I do that and have everyone get together and sign it - I mean I suppose it can't hurt anything, I was just wondering if anyone has had success with this.

Also - has anyone had Judge Algenon Marbley? Any thoughts/experiences about him would be helpful!!

THANKS! :thumbsup:

EffOff1973
06-19-2006, 11:47 AM
When my friend got into trouble, his lawyer asked for about 5 people to each write letters to the judge. It shows that there are people that care about the person and that others feel they still have good qualities despite the trouble they're in.

I don't think you would want to have one letter with several signatures. You'll want to show that people took the time to write individual letters. The lawyer said that any more than 5 letters would be overkill because the judge wouldn't take the time to read them all.

If they're pleading guilty, do not argue or imply that they didn't commit the offense. Rather, acknowledge the guilt but point out positive traits that make a lower sentence reasonable. Things such as being a valuable family member, good worker, dependable to family and friends, etc.

The biggest value the letters have is showing that you know and support them so the fact of writing the letters can be as imporant as what you say. Be positive, but be reasonable, and try to keep your comments to about one page to ensure the judge will actually take the time to read your letter and give it careful consideration.

Good luck.

Lillybee
06-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Before my son's sentencing, I wrote a letter to the judge. I don't know if it helped or not. I outlined my son's life, etc. It certainly can't hurt.

reddawgsluv
06-25-2006, 06:39 AM
When my husband was going up for Judicial release, I wrote a letter in his behalf, as well as his family, a couple of friends and a few potential employers. Having a form type letter with several signatures isnt the best thing to do, individual letters let the judge see people care enough to take the time to write in his behalf. Make sure when you have people write the letters, to put their name, adresses and phone numbers at the bottom of the letters. We hired a professional who does this sort of thing for inmates, and this is what he advised us to do. Good luck and have a great day.

hotbuttereddave
07-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Ive been on a letter writing campaign for my wife, no one has told me it has helped or hurt but some good things have happened, like someone said before it cant hurt! in my opinion , my thought is i wrote to the judge telling him the negative way has affected me and the kids, not her. and thanked him for putting her in there cause it saved her life. be humble

CLNAC
07-20-2006, 11:54 PM
When my friend got into trouble, his lawyer asked for about 5 people to each write letters to the judge. It shows that there are people that care about the person and that others feel they still have good qualities despite the trouble they're in.

I don't think you would want to have one letter with several signatures. You'll want to show that people took the time to write individual letters. The lawyer said that any more than 5 letters would be overkill because the judge wouldn't take the time to read them all.

If they're pleading guilty, do not argue or imply that they didn't commit the offense. Rather, acknowledge the guilt but point out positive traits that make a lower sentence reasonable. Things such as being a valuable family member, good worker, dependable to family and friends, etc.

The biggest value the letters have is showing that you know and support them so the fact of writing the letters can be as imporant as what you say. Be positive, but be reasonable, and try to keep your comments to about one page to ensure the judge will actually take the time to read your letter and give it careful consideration.

Good luck.

Wow this is a good idea. Who do you guys recommend write? I can write one, maybe a few friends, family members, etc.
Anything you recommend they write about?
How do you know what judge you will have? My bf has court the 16th of Aug. and I'm not sure who will be judge.
I am due to have his child Aug. 30th and I want to somehow show that I need his help and since I live with his family who doesn't make much I might need financial help as well as help with the baby while I heal. Anything you guys can recommend? His case is about his probation violation and then his ex-gf is trying to claim he threatens her and other untrue statements and his other charges in the other county are intimidation and aggravated menacing. Only problem is his ex-gf's new bf is a deputy sheriff and knows people in both courts....
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks so much everyone!
Connie

flanneljava
07-21-2006, 05:20 AM
I am in similar situation, my husband is currently at CRC. His attorney will file for judicial release the first part of August. I am due to have his baby (a girl) September 10th.

I have heard from several people that getting letters does help, especially in cases like my husbands. He is in on two counts of non-payment of support. I have wrote, my mom, my daughter and one person who is willing to give him a job when he is released. We are forwarding all letters to his attorney though, not to the judge directly, which is what the attorney recommended.

You can call the clerk of courts where he will be going to court and find out who the judge will be. Good luck to you, your boyfriend and your baby.

MsChiku
07-21-2006, 06:46 AM
I think the format in Texas' Forum is very professional and to the point for ideas on writing to the Courts and/or the Parole Board: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75599 Best Wishes! :thumbsup:

Wow this is a good idea. Who do you guys recommend write? I can write one, maybe a few friends, family members, etc.
Anything you recommend they write about?
How do you know what judge you will have? My bf has court the 16th of Aug. and I'm not sure who will be judge.
I am due to have his child Aug. 30th and I want to somehow show that I need his help and since I live with his family who doesn't make much I might need financial help as well as help with the baby while I heal. Anything you guys can recommend? His case is about his probation violation and then his ex-gf is trying to claim he threatens her and other untrue statements and his other charges in the other county are intimidation and aggravated menacing. Only problem is his ex-gf's new bf is a deputy sheriff and knows people in both courts....
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks so much everyone!
Connie

Missinmysweety
09-17-2006, 10:57 PM
I think the format in Texas' Forum is very professional and to the point for ideas on writing to the Courts and/or the Parole Board: Best Wishes! :thumbsup:

The ideas in your link helped me out so much with the letter i was working on for my husband. I was completely blank as to what to write in a letter to the judge. Thank you!:)
Missinmysweety

MsChiku
09-18-2006, 06:55 AM
The ideas in your link helped me out so much with the letter i was working on for my husband. I was completely blank as to what to write in a letter to the judge. Thank you!:)
Missinmysweety

(((Missinmysweety))) Those formats helped me out too :yes: And you are VERY welcomed! Best Wishes! :thumbsup:

carebear72
09-18-2006, 07:42 AM
Im here to say IT DOES HELP!!! My husband was sentenced 2 wks ago and the Judge said that letters from his family weighed heavily on his decsision in court that day. He sees that his wife and family are going to stick through this with him to the end and it is also supposed to help where they place him b/c he is a federal prisoner.

Missinmysweety
09-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Im here to say IT DOES HELP!!! My husband was sentenced 2 wks ago and the Judge said that letters from his family weighed heavily on his decsision in court that day. He sees that his wife and family are going to stick through this with him to the end and it is also supposed to help where they place him b/c he is a federal prisoner.

Did he get a lesser or the minimum sentence??? My husband is about to be sentenced and it could be 3-4 years depending on how the judge feels and i wrote a letter recently and im hoping he atleast only gets 3 but less would be nice!

gemini5241980
09-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Writing the judge has helped me and Stephan a lot. He was origanally given 22 months. I wrote the state prosecutor, the judge and his public deffender, after about three weeks I got a letter from the judge letting me know that he was reducing Stephan's sentence to 1 year. When he got to CRC i again wrote to the judge and the board in charge of the Camp Reams program, the judge denied the Camp Reams but sent him to Montgomery Pre Release instead ( made us so happy). He went in front of the parole board the beginning of this month and thanks to letters from me, friends, family ( including our 8 year old son), and his employer ( they have held his job for him) he gets released on transitional control on the 26 of October.
The writing of the letter's might not get you the outcome you are looking for but they definately can not hurt.

RebaBailey
11-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know if you can write a letter to the appellate judge?

Doc's Sis
11-16-2006, 06:56 AM
I had asked our attorney the same question and she said that you can write to the Appeals Court but the judges will NOT read such letters before making their decision. They must make their decision based on the info/documents received from Trial Court only!

I wrote my letter anyway and sent it, knowing that they'll not read it at this point in time. I still wanted it on record. If your case is in the appeals process, write your letter in behalf of your husband and then give it to your attorney - who may be able to use the information in his motions and/or arguments before the Appeals Court.

RebaBailey
11-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Thank you. I think I will. Even if they didn't read it till after, whatever decision they make.. atleast I'd feel better knowing that they did read it. You had mentioned it would be on record? Now is that for all letters even if it was to the judge that sentenced him? Is that how you know they read it if it was on their docket?

Doc's Sis
11-17-2006, 07:57 PM
No, you aren't going to see anything on the Docket Sheet other than the briefs and motions and rulings in that case. If your case is in appeal right now, why would you want to write to the trial judge? He's out of it. It's the Appeals judges that you want to write to, but what ever you write to them will not determine how they will decide the case.

JennyMCa
11-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Personally I wouldn't write to the judge, it just gives them one more reason to start a file on you and interfere in your life which I'm pretty sure they do in certain districts in that state anyway.

carebear72
01-20-2007, 11:47 PM
We had no problems as a result to our letters. The judge DID read them for he made comments on them. I believe it helped, they were trying to charge him w/a 6 point enhancement for endangering my children (drug case) and the judge through out the endangerment...so ur letters do help... which in return he got 7yrs instead of the 20 he was looking at with the enhancement

reddawgsluv
01-24-2007, 06:27 AM
I agree with carebear72-letters DO help and nothing durogatory came from us writing in my husbands defence. Not only did my husband and I write in his behalf, but our families, potential employers and a couple of friends did as well. WHen the time came for my husbands JR, the judge mentioned the letters and the fact that he had so much suport on the outside. It did not hurt, but helped a great deal....the judges like to see support.

portnine
02-03-2007, 09:24 AM
My fiance is doing 6 months and the lawyer I had in the beginning said that it was pointless to write the letters. I FIRED HIM!! I new lawyer said OF COURSE it helps. It shows who that person is now and what they learned. Anyone that tells you it's pointless to write letters is someone who doesn't care about your loved one. Brandon's up to judicial release soon, we're filing on the 6th of Feb. His parents, my parents, my brother, his boss all wrote letters including myself and brandon in prison. So pray that he is granted his judicial release! But I'll keep everyone updated. But don't give up hope you want to make your loved one more than just a number to the judge you want to show them that he has a health enivornment to come home to.

Tia74
02-07-2007, 11:48 AM
OK I NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WHO CAN HELP. MY BROTHER IS ALREADY LOCKED UP IN BELMONT CORRECTIONAL AND HE'S UNDER THE NEW LAW SO THAT MEANS "NO gOOD TIME" AND GOT A MANDATORY 10YRS. HE WON'T BE RELEASE TIL 2016, BUT HE IS A FIRST TIME NON-VIOLENT OFFENDER. HOW OR WHO CAN I TALK TO OR EVEN WRITE TO GET HIS TIME REDUCED. ALL OF CHARGED WERE MAXXED THE JUDGE DID DROPPED THE 2 MDO'S THANK GOD. MY BROTHER WAS CHARGED WITH DRUGS BUT WAS NO BIG DRUG DEALER LIKE THEY CHARGED HIM WITH AND SEEMED TO BELEIVE. OUR FAMILY STRUGGLED TO PAY THE LAYWER THAT HELPED SEND HIM DOWN THE RODE. sO WE HAVE NO MONEY. NEED HELP KNOWING ABOUT APPEALS BECAUSE HIS LAWYER NEVER LOOKED INTO THE OFFICERS BACKGROUND OF ILLEGAL SEARCH AND SEIZER. THERE WAS NO SEARCH WARRANT INVOLVED.
SO IF ANYONE KNOW OR HAVE ANY INFO ON JOHN DITTMORE FROM CANTON OHIO PLEASE SEND ME THAT TOO .... i NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN CAUSE 10 YRS IS A LONG TIME FOR DRUGS WHEN MURDERS ARE GETTING OUT EARLIER THAN THAT.....THANX
ALSO WOULD IT BE IN OUR FAMILY'S BEST INTREST TO WRITE THE JUDGE AND STATE PROCUTOR...WOULD IT HELP.

meganlea
02-07-2007, 08:10 PM
It's too late to write them. He's been sentenced. Filing for judicial release won't help since he was given far more than the minimum. There's obviously a LOT to this case that isn't being told or he would've received much less than 10 years. Most drug cases are F3-5...meaning 6-12 mo, 6-18 mo or 1-5 years.

portnine
02-26-2007, 07:38 PM
So we got a hearing due for the 27th but they said it's a judical release hearing in phase one. What does that mean, phase one?

cannot_clasp
02-27-2007, 12:39 PM
writing letter does help and it is documented by the judges sec., in franklin county that is. most of the time i think it's the quality pf the letter

truelove1101
01-12-2009, 09:17 PM
I know this is an extremely old thread...but I don't know where else to do this. Does it help to write letters to the judge? If so, do people write the letters before filing for a judicial?? Or all at the same time? I need some help in this because I am due to have back surgery and we have a small infant together, and I have no idea how I am going to take care of her on my own. Any advice from anyone?? He has a F-2 for violent offense...he has been in for 9 months on a 4 year sentence.

lizzyd07
01-13-2009, 05:25 PM
I know this is an extremely old thread...but I don't know where else to do this. Does it help to write letters to the judge? If so, do people write the letters before filing for a judicial?? Or all at the same time? I need some help in this because I am due to have back surgery and we have a small infant together, and I have no idea how I am going to take care of her on my own. Any advice from anyone?? He has a F-2 for violent offense...he has been in for 9 months on a 4 year sentence.
I write letters to anyone I can that I think will help. I wrote to the judge before he was sentenced and to the board of classifications etc. His lawyer did tell me that the judge did read our letters. Even if it didnt change his mind on giving a lighter sentence, he read them. I think its always a good idea to write a letter and at least have your voice heard.

worriedmama
01-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi my son had us write letters to judge and mail them to him so that he could include them in his request for jr. There is a link on the ohio forum that gives an example of what to include. The letters help to make our loved ones individuals to the judge and show that at least we feel that they deserve another chance. It also shows that we are going to give them support when they get out.

truelove1101
01-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Can you please tell me which thread has that information in it? Thanks worried mama!

worriedmama
01-16-2009, 06:26 PM
The OH DOC what you need to know,they are actually letters for parole bd,but jr is kind of like parole.The letter I wrote for my son was so hard to write because so much is riding on it. I kept getting stuck on dear judge,LOL. those letters helped me to arrange my thoughts. I hope they help you.

truelove1101
01-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Well guys, I sat down to write a letter, but I have no idea what to write, what to include anything like that. If anyone can send me an example of what they wrote (you can erase all personal or sensitive info) just so I can see a template or something, please let me know or PM me! I am so confused! I am not good at this kind of thing, especially since so much rides on what people say. I know they say keep it to one page or less and be straight to the point, but I just need some assistance. If anyone can help, please let me know!:confused:

reddawgsluv
01-22-2009, 07:06 AM
lat me think..ive misplaced all the papers in a move and hes off everything now so its been awhile, but:
I started off something like Dear Judge(judges last name)--,
my name is --, i am the wife of (nummber and name) who is currently incarcerated at Allen Corrctional Ins. in Liama Ohio.
My husband has been a model inmate, not gotten any tickets, and hascompleted all courses(name them) offered him.
I also mentioned the job he held while there. Then on a more personal note, I mentioned what I had done to prepare his homecoming, includiing the job prospects lined up for him, and then why I felt he would benfit a JR, I wrote something like I felt he was remorseful, annd given the chance for an early release, I thoought he would be a positive member of society and why.
I kept it to 1 page so as not to bore the judge thn I signed, and printed my name, date and addy and telephone number. Hope this may help you some..good luck!!:thumbsup:

cjvkc
03-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Allen County Ohio, I to wrote the judge on behalf of my bf. It didn't do any good. It all depends on the judge. My bf judge don't like him so I don't think anything will help. He moreless laughed at all of us in the court room and and made very rude remarks. Not to mention "changed his mind" on his sentencing. But the best of luck to all of you!! And if there is anyone who's been in front of this judge and had success with a letter PLEASE contact me!! My bf is up for JR in 2 months and I'd really like for him to come home.

truelove1101
04-25-2009, 02:48 PM
:DDoes ANYONE have any examples of letters they have written to the judge, whether it worked or not?? I just wanna know if ours seem to be along the same things others wrote! Any info would be wonderful!

sage26
04-27-2009, 08:16 PM
yea does any have one, i have to wright one my self for my finance, he asked me to wright one, and i have to have it soon. i have no idea how to start it, or what to say in it. so i need help with one to.

teebag
04-28-2009, 03:25 PM
I need some help! I need to write a letter to the judge but I'm not sure as to how or what to say in the letter. Can anyone help me?

fotolady43
05-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I was just curious - has anyone written letters to the judge trying to explain their loved ones good character? My BF asked that I do that and have everyone get together and sign it - I mean I suppose it can't hurt anything, I was just wondering if anyone has had success with this.

Also - has anyone had Judge Algenon Marbley? Any thoughts/experiences about him would be helpful!!

THANKS! :thumbsup:

depends on the judge I think--we wrote letters I dont believe the judge even looked at them because he made comments in his closing sentencing remarks that if he had read them he would never had said--if I were you and I wrote a letter I would mail it maybe more than once to get his attention

SadieSearles
06-23-2009, 09:53 PM
My boyfriend is currently incarcerated and we are trying to find out how to file a judicial and I was wondering about the letters too. I have his court records, do I write the letter to the judge that sentenced him?
~Mandy