View Full Version : getting a picture id for released inmate

bobbye7
06-16-2006, 12:25 PM
does anyone know how to get a picture id asap for an inmate who doesn't have a drivers license? my son is being released this month from the henderson county detention center class d facility and has literally one day to get some sort of identification before he leaves on the bus for new york state, where he has to report to a probation officer. the drivers license office requires that he have a social security card for a non-license id, yet the ss office requires a photo id for a card! talk about catch 22. i'm afraid without an id he won't be allowed to get on the bus or rent a room when he gets up there.
thanks,
bobbye7

WaitN4Him
06-16-2006, 10:44 PM
does anyone know how to get a picture id asap for an inmate who doesn't have a drivers license? my son is being released this month from the henderson county detention center class d facility and has literally one day to get some sort of identification before he leaves on the bus for new york state, where he has to report to a probation officer. the drivers license office requires that he have a social security card for a non-license id, yet the ss office requires a photo id for a card! talk about catch 22. i'm afraid without an id he won't be allowed to get on the bus or rent a room when he gets up there.
thanks,
bobbye7

WOW That is a really good question. I would start by asking questions at the facility he is at. Someone there has to know. They have all these programs that helps to prepare them. I'm just not real sure. The worse come to worse start now with making phone calls to Frankfort, eventually you will get the answer you need, you just may have to go through many people to get there. Good luck and be sure to post your findings.

WaitN4Him
06-17-2006, 06:47 PM
I checked on this. The inmate is giving a statement by the prison upon their departure that they give to the social security office and the driver licenses center. So he should have everything he needs when he leaves. Still have him confirm this with his caseworker.

bobbye7
06-18-2006, 07:58 AM
i talked to my son last night. he says the jail will get him an id. (they're not quite as together as the prisons but somehow he gets one.) he's also near the county offices and can go to the sheriff's office. the key is getting a photo id (you can't get a soc. sec. card without one & you can't get a non-drivers' lic. photo id without a soc. sec. card!) he has to supply the photo -- just hope the id doesn't make it obvious he's an ex-con.
i'm also trying to get him a pre-paid cell phone and some sort of credit card. he has a horrible credit rating, of course, and i don't want to put him on any of my accounts for obvious reasons.
there are so many little things like this to think about when someone gets out of prison.

babygirl350
06-19-2006, 05:10 PM
i talked to my son last night. he says the jail will get him an id. (they're not quite as together as the prisons but somehow he gets one.) he's also near the county offices and can go to the sheriff's office. the key is getting a photo id (you can't get a soc. sec. card without one & you can't get a non-drivers' lic. photo id without a soc. sec. card!) he has to supply the photo -- just hope the id doesn't make it obvious he's an ex-con.
i'm also trying to get him a pre-paid cell phone and some sort of credit card. he has a horrible credit rating, of course, and i don't want to put him on any of my accounts for obvious reasons.
there are so many little things like this to think about when someone gets out of prison.

I can tell you they do have pre paid Master Cards and Visa out here. You put so much on the card and that is what you have to spend. Perhaps that could be a solution to getting a credit card.
Good luck with it all. I hope everything turns out for the best for him.

momfriendwife
06-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi Bobye,
Was he is a state prison? The prison ID they are issued while they are in there is acceptable here in California when applying for a new license or SS card. As long as he has his birth certificate. Thats how we got his, my ex. And also his parole officer can issue a verification of ID letter. That will work temporarily. Also waitn, is correct, they have the oppurtunity to apply for a new SS card when they are still in. He can probably check with his couselor on that...Good luck.

roadiez
06-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Henderson Co. is just a local jail, with "State & Federal Inmates." They are a real cluster there sometimes...I know I have bee there and was raised in Henderson Co. Hope he makes it back up to Ny. soon

kris' pooh bear
06-20-2006, 07:09 PM
When I reapplied for my social security card...I don't remember having to have a photo id...but, I wan't just coming out of prison. But, I do know that when you apply for a new social security card, there is a letter that you can have printed out right then verifying your social security number and the date you applied for a new card. They will accept that at the Driver's License place as proof of a social security card...