View Full Version : How to write a letter of intent to marry

devonnikki5
06-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Ok so I guess I need a little help. I got the paper about getting married but I'm not so sure how exactly to word my letter to the chaplian about my intent to marry an inmate, I know it has to include a few things like his name number, all my personal info and my intent to marry him. Also that I am free to marry. I just don't know if it should be really general like I, blah blah, intend to marry, blah blah MDOC#blah. then go on to list my info and that i'm able to marry or what exactly should it say. I'm just a little confused and I don't want to take any longer than I have to to get this letter to the Chaplin. Also do I have to send a copy of both birth certificates at this time( with the letter) or not and can they be just photo copies? HELP ME! I'm about to lose my mind. Thanks for any help I get!!!!!!!

babygurl919
06-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Well, my letter was very short, simple and to the point. It went something like this, "My name is Jessica XXXX. I have been dating Christopher XXXX, Inmate# XXXXXX at XXXXX Correctional Facility, for 4 years and would like to request permission to marry him. Please let me know what steps need to be taken next in this process. Thank you, have a great day!" And then I typed my address at the bottom.

MRS. DURHAM
06-13-2006, 01:30 AM
I went through the same distress because i was unsure what to exactly write, therefore, here is an example many of you can use as your own. Different states request different information in these documents, which must be notarized. Therefore, you are free to edit as necessary.

Your Full Name:
Date of Birth:
Address:

I, __________________________ submit this document as an official request to marry Mr.___________ (GDC # _______); born _______. He is an inmate at ______ State Prison in ______, Georgia. This is my sworn statement to confirm that I do not have any legal bindings or restrictions, unresolved marriages, including Common Law, or otherwise that would prohibit marriage to____________. Mr._____________and I have agreed upon an approximate date for our wedding, which is _________. We have also agreed to delegate as our ceremony officiate:
Officiate's Name
Officiate's Address:
Officiate's Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx

Sincerely,

babylisa22
06-13-2006, 02:30 AM
:) I have a friend in a simular situation. what if the inmate is in a federal prison? Any suggestions? Or is it universal?:) :) :) :) :o :o :o :o

mrsdragoness
06-13-2006, 07:09 AM
I think a letter of intent is pretty universal.. some chaplains want to hear reasons why you want to marry. Its always a good thing to talk about the positives your loved one is making and that marriage is one more step that cements the bond and relationship. NEVER say you want to get married so he has a better chance at parole!

devonnikki5
06-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the help with this. Ok so how does this look and I did copy and paste part of one of the posts, which was very helpful. I would have been lost with out you ladies. Thanks Again!!!

I, Nicole ___submit this document as an official request to marry __ (MDOC# ). This is my sworn statement to confirm that I do not have any legal bindings or restrictions, unresolved marriages, including Common Law, or otherwise that would prohibit marriage to Mr. _. The following is all the required information for this request:

Full Legal Name-
Address

Date of Birth-
SSN-
Sex- Female
Race- White
Current Marital Status- Never Married

Thank you,

libra929
06-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Does anyone know what Florida requirements are for this letter of intent?

agspunkygirl
06-13-2006, 12:00 PM
In Texas you can't have a 'ceremony' with him... you have to do it by proxy and have someone stand in for him. But when it comes to letters of intent (like in texas to have my info changed on his visitation list) I kept things short and simple. The chaplin might care, but has how many inmates under his watch that it's easier for everyone to just put what they want and move on... I know here the people who handle letters of intent don't care either which way about anything but the specifics....

Thats just my :twocents: though...

redbone_1018
06-19-2006, 11:31 AM
That was alot of help, thank you all. I have to rewrite my letter and send another off.

only4Gerald
06-21-2006, 03:22 AM
I would give a little background on your relationship without being specific. Kind of point out that you two aren't perfect and have weathered the storm and still love each other and intend to marry.

My husbands counselor said she liked the way I said 'with or without the permission to marry him inside of the prison system, I plan to spend the rest of my life with my 'now' husband'.

You can be formal or informal, just depends on you

____LadyB
08-16-2006, 12:47 AM
I just got the memo from the Chaplin at my man's prison stating what I needed to do and such. Which one was the letter of intent... I was reading these posts, SOoooo.. Basically its

-my name, birthday, ssn#
-his name, birthday?, inmate number,
-and why I wanna marry him?

Sorry, I just want it to be perfect the first time, so it dont get denined and we have to do this WHOLE process over or something. ya know.

Thanks for all ya help.

flowers
08-24-2006, 12:18 PM
I am new to this site and unfortunately don't have a clue as to go about writing a letter of intent :( My fiance appointed me as his poa to get us married. They denied us @ FCI McKean. Is there any states that will allow me to unite us with out him being there?
Please help!

M.Flowers

yourguest
01-16-2007, 06:19 PM
:) I Definitely Can Use This Info. I Just Wrote My Letter!!!:D :)

Elijahs Mommy
01-16-2007, 06:25 PM
I know Texas has marriage by proxy which means he fills out a form saying that yes he does want to marry you then u ind someone to stand in for him n u go to the county clerk n u get marriedquick n easy

I am new to this site and unfortunately don't have a clue as to go about writing a letter of intent :( My fiance appointed me as his poa to get us married. They denied us @ FCI McKean. Is there any states that will allow me to unite us with out him being there?
Please help!

M.Flowers

MandyMeMe
01-16-2007, 07:43 PM
So in Texas do you have to have a TX id to get married in TX? He's in TX and i'm live in NC. I know that's off subject but to start another thread just for this little question?

gabbygirl372001
01-18-2007, 11:06 PM
I believe that you state who you are and how long you've been in a relationship. Also that you are aware of his crime, and how much longer he has...that sort of thing. Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be.

FAITHHOPELOVE
01-18-2007, 11:10 PM
When I wrote my letter of intent to marry, I was straight to the point. I gave my reasons why I wanted to marry him. The first being because I Love Him.Then I went on to give more positive reasons. So far so good we are just waiting to get word back from the higher officials in Tallahassee.

rustysgrl
04-25-2007, 09:45 AM
any info on how to go about this in the wonderful state of ohio

sweetthing421
10-05-2007, 03:35 PM
what does it mean your officiant? thanx im writing my letter now

Mrs. SR Vasquez
10-05-2007, 04:08 PM
That is the person who will perform the cermony, i.e. priest, judge...

sweetthing421
10-05-2007, 05:07 PM
thank you alot

goddesssurvival
10-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I've always wondered this too. Not that we're getting married anytime soon... :)

RavenMorrigan
02-24-2009, 05:09 AM
Lots of useful information here. My fiance and I are getting married in April or so we hope. Im writing my letter of intent today. Thanks for all the hrlpful info here, I can stop stressing over it now and move on to other things...wOOt wOOt!

bellaxnxblack
03-06-2009, 08:54 AM
this has been alot of help i didnt even know what the letter of intent was implying