View Full Version : Dress Outs (Parole Clothes) Q&A

LilSky
06-08-2006, 11:31 PM
I just sent out clothes for his release day. Does it need to be there 10 days prior to the release date? I had to pay for it to be there over night, I just wanted to make sure he gets his clothes. I bought every thing except a sweater. It shouldn't be cold anyways. Does a bus pick up people directly from the prison?

BlessedLady35
06-10-2006, 08:39 PM
I think it depends on what prison the person is at. If the person does not have a ride to pick them up then most facilities have a shuttle or van take the person to the bus station. I am not sure about the timeframe for the clothes to be there. My husband is getting out soon and he told me that I need to send his clothes 1 month in advance because they have to go through Receiving and Release and if the the clothes do not get through the process by the time he is released they will charge him for an outift that they provide. If I were you I would call R&R at the prison to ensure that they are processing his clothing ASAP

A909
06-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Please some one help me. Where do you send parole clothes to? My
boyfriend is at Calipatria and I don't know if I send it to the same p.o. box
i send his mail to. :confused:

c's baby
06-16-2006, 06:55 PM
You send the dress outs 30 days to the gate.
You use the same address, however, make sure
in big letters you write DRESS OUTS. Maybe on the
front and bag of the package. It goes to R & R. He
doesn't get it until it is time to wear the clothes.

ChristyluvsMark
06-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Cant they use clothes that they have bought through commissary? I got my husband clothes there, nothing fancy just sweat pants and sweatshirts, shoes, you know simple wear. would that be ok to get released on? how do i find out for sure?

set me free
08-20-2006, 04:53 PM
send parole clothes no more than 30 days before release date, although most prisons will hold them for them

William'sBaby
08-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Here is what the Title 15 says about dress outs:

3195. Release Clothing.

Inmates scheduled for parole or awaiting discharge may receive
a release clothing package via U.S. Postal Service or common
carrier no earlier than 30 days prior to their scheduled parole or
discharge date. Inmate release clothing packages, limited to one set of clothing, shall be retained in a secure location by the department until their release.

William'sBaby:heart:

HUtsnJOnes
10-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Ok, ladies, I got a letter from my husband reminding me to send his DRESS OUTS a month before his release, which will be in December 06. He is incarcerated in SQ. How do I send him his DRESS OUTS ? Do I mail them directly to him?
Any info would be appreciated.

Ted's mom
10-21-2006, 11:36 PM
I sent the box addressed to my son with his CDC number and the lady in R & R told me to write Dress Outs all over the box so that is what I did. He got them just fine. You can call R & R and ask for the specifics. At my son's facility they told me not to send jeans, or anything that would be inappropriate. I sent khakis, boxers, socks, shoes, an undershirt, and a shirt, and a belt. It was all ok and he was georgeous when he came out last Sunday. I burst out crying when I saw him and I am not ashamed to say I jumped up and down like I had just won Deal or No Deal!

cadustin
10-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Congradulations Ted's mom!! This is what I have done in the past also, and what I will be doing again in 9 months...

I sent the box addressed to my son with his CDC number and the lady in R & R told me to write Dress Outs all over the box so that is what I did. He got them just fine. You can call R & R and ask for the specifics. At my son's facility they told me not to send jeans, or anything that would be inappropriate. I sent khakis, boxers, socks, shoes, an undershirt, and a shirt, and a belt. It was all ok and he was georgeous when he came out last Sunday. I burst out crying when I saw him and I am not ashamed to say I jumped up and down like I had just won Deal or No Deal!

California Sunshine
10-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Just like above I sent them in a box with DRESS OUTS all over it and he got them fine

Congrats on the homecoming

Cubana
10-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Ask the prison. Some require the inmate to send you the form and it has to be taped to the box with the inmates signature. I did the same as above for the exception of the form he sent from R&R.

Jr'swifey
07-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Im so excited to actually have to ask this question, my baby is getting out soon! yay! But what im wondering is how do we send the dressouts? Are they supposed to be sent to the prison the same way a letter would have, addressed the same way i mean? And another thing is does anyone know what they can and cant have in that package, does everything have to have the tags on em or in there original packages? sorry im just kinda confused if anyone can help out i would appreciate it so much, my husbands in Folsom State Prison by the way.

Luvly143
07-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Ok I am not sure about Folsom specifically, but here is the way they did it in Chino... My husband had to send me an approved mailing label to attach to the outside of the box (I think at some facilities you can just write dress-outs really big on the box) I didn't send him everything brand new. I always make sure I iron everything and fold it so it doesn't get wrinkled, in the past I have also put a dryer sheet in there so the clothes would smell nice :) I usually send him a pair of boxers, a pair of pants or shorts, a pair of socks, an undershirt, a t-shirt, a belt, and of course a new pair of shoes... Congratulations on your man coming home.... Can't wait until I'm sending dress outs :)

kristinam79
07-30-2007, 04:41 PM
i see you are in colorado so i am not sure if your asking about california??? if you are, my husband was able to get his 30 days before he got out. Just call the prison and ask for the R&R department and ask any questions. But i just sent the basics and i send it regular mail. The one big issue they have though is that you cannot send it any sooner then 30 days before his release date.

hope this helps

Luvly143
07-30-2007, 05:21 PM
thanks kristinam79 I totally forgot about the 30 days to the house thing :)

Casper's Lady
07-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Congrats! on your man's homecoming!

Jr'swifey
07-31-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks alot everyone, i did call Folsom and got all the info i needed so all i have to do now is wait. Can someone just speed up time and make Sept. 24 come sooner this year, lol. Wishful thinking, sorry, i'm just excited.

Lovingmyhubby07
08-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Hey ladies, Just wanted to know for those who sented out parole clothes, what was the fastest and easiest ways?? I still have a little over a month and I know that I can't send it till a month before my husband get's released.. I received a slip where I would need to put it in front of the box, but not too sure which is the fastest and easiest way to send out clothes? Any info would be great.. THANKS!! :thumbsup:

ytakemyguy
08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
US mail, just get a tracking. Label the box R&R.

Hey ladies, Just wanted to know for those who sented out parole clothes, what was the fastest and easiest ways?? I still have a little over a month and I know that I can't send it till a month before my husband get's released.. I received a slip where I would need to put it in front of the box, but not too sure which is the fastest and easiest way to send out clothes? Any info would be great.. THANKS!! :thumbsup:

luvdrew
08-16-2007, 07:15 PM
can you drop the clothes off at the prison?

Casper's Lady
08-16-2007, 07:22 PM
can you drop the clothes off at the prison?

I don't think so:(

Casper's Lady
08-16-2007, 07:25 PM

You also need to put Dress outs on the box. But from what I know you send it by regular mail, and like the lady said I would get a tracking #,just in case.:thumbsup: BTW congrats on your man's homecoming.:)

joseandmelany1
08-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Congrats on his homecoming! You can send it through the post office.You have a few different options, express, priority, and standard mail. Express is the fastest, but expensive, next priority, then standard. Just ask the clerk at the post office what the different rates are and they will be able to tell you how many days it will take and the prices. Good luck.

Luvly143
08-20-2007, 09:39 AM
FYI as far as I know the only way they will accept it is if it is delivered by the U.S. Postal Service...

Shari
08-20-2007, 10:52 AM
I do not know where your loved one is at, but when I sent my guy his dress outs I sent by UPS with no problem at all. By the way I was sending it to San Quentin. I had called R&R and confirmed that I was able to send it by UPS and they said yes. You might want to check the R&R where you are sending your to to see what they allow.

TEELOKSWIFEY
08-20-2007, 11:33 AM
hi !! congratulations !!! well im sending my husbands clothes thru ups !! but if you read your clothesout form it should say if you can send it to ups or usps !!!

Luvly143
08-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Thats right...It was on the label he sent me it said no UPS and no Fed Ex.... That was for CIM.

Lovingmyhubby07
08-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Thankx Ladies.. :thumbsup: I think that I"ll probably just send it through the post office, but I'll call R & R again, I forgot to ask them that, when I called last time.. :rolleyes: But THANKS LADIES!!!:D:D:D

ytakemyguy
08-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Just send it thru the post office it is cheaper and it gets there. Most places will not allow UPS for parole clothes because staff does not want to sign for it.

TEELOKSWIFEY
08-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Thats right...It was on the label he sent me it said no UPS and no Fed Ex.... That was for CIM.

well honey in my label did say ups sent it to this address so thats what i did and he is in CIM/MSF !!!! so i dont know why u wasnt able to send it ups!!!

Luvly143
08-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Mine was CIM East Yard GP Reception and the label said MUST BE SENT USPS not UPS. I called R & R and they told me they would not accept anything but USPS for Parole Clothes... MSF might be different because thats another yard...Or it could be because it was last year :) who knows they change their mind all the time...

PT ROSE
08-23-2007, 07:21 PM
UPS needs a physical address, they won't send to a PO Box

Maggie12
08-23-2007, 08:14 PM
hmmm just curious ladies....you were mentioning a form that your husbands sent you to enclose with the dress outs.....i havent heard anything about that. does my fiance have to ask for it? he is at an MCCF btw. We still have 48 days (but who's counting?? :D) so i know a have a few weeks before i send the clothes. im not sure if that is mandatory for his dress outs. his counselor at the prison is a jerk and is so unhelpful. i can never get any useful information and neither can my fiance.

ytakemyguy
08-24-2007, 02:06 AM
It varies among prisons. Smoe have a required form and some do not. Lancaster did not, just call the prison and ask for R&R and tell them you need to kow what they require for dress outs.

hmmm just curious ladies....you were mentioning a form that your husbands sent you to enclose with the dress outs.....i havent heard anything about that. does my fiance have to ask for it? he is at an MCCF btw. We still have 48 days (but who's counting?? :D) so i know a have a few weeks before i send the clothes. im not sure if that is mandatory for his dress outs. his counselor at the prison is a jerk and is so unhelpful. i can never get any useful information and neither can my fiance.

Paco's Girl
08-24-2007, 09:01 AM
If you are not given a dress outs form, I would more less make my own. At least put a paper in side and/or mark the in side of the box with at least his name and CDC#. Maybe even his housing. That would be a total drag if somehow his clothes got lost. I put his name on most anything that could get misplaced. ( Like Stamps.)

Shari
08-24-2007, 10:27 AM
As far as I know they do not even open the boxes with dress out clothes until the day the guy is getting out. That is why they tell you to make sure you mark all over the outside of the box Dress Outs. I know when my guy got out a few months ago he said that he got to open his own box when he was given it that morning.

Paco's Girl
08-24-2007, 12:20 PM
That is really good to hear. Yes, then maybe nothing will get "misplaced".

As far as I know they do not even open the boxes with dress out clothes until the day the guy is getting out. That is why they tell you to make sure you mark all over the outside of the box Dress Outs. I know when my guy got out a few months ago he said that he got to open his own box when he was given it that morning.

Maggie12
08-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys! I told my fiance to ask around. this is his first term, so we are learning as we go along. ill call r&r on monday and see what they say.

Lovingmyhubby07
08-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Just wondering again, if my husband sent me the dress out form, do I still have to put dress out clothes all over the box?? I do have to tape the form outside of the box though right? I already bought everything, the only thing that I still need to buy are shoes.. I can't wait.. I'll be sending it out bout wed, thursday or Friday.. Wish me LUCK!! :thumbsup:

ytakemyguy
08-25-2007, 01:14 PM
YEs, dress outs need to be written on the box because it will sit in R&R until the day he is released. When he is released they will take the box to him and he opens it.

Just wondering again, if my husband sent me the dress out form, do I still have to put dress out clothes all over the box?? I do have to tape the form outside of the box though right? I already bought everything, the only thing that I still need to buy are shoes.. I can't wait.. I'll be sending it out bout wed, thursday or Friday.. Wish me LUCK!! :thumbsup:

Lovingmyhubby07
08-25-2007, 01:25 PM
YEs, dress outs need to be written on the box because it will sit in R&R until the day he is released. When he is released they will take the box to him and he opens it.

I may be wrong but I heard that some prison when they do get the dress out clothes, the inmate would get a ducat to check his dress out clothes before he gets releasesd to make sure that everything is there??

ytakemyguy
08-25-2007, 06:38 PM
My understanding is the box sits in R&R and the day he is released he is taken to the holding tank and then the box is opened right in front of him. I've sent parole clothes twice and both times he didn;t receive anything, he wasn't evn told they were there. Every prison maybe different.

I may be wrong but I heard that some prison when they do get the dress out clothes, the inmate would get a ducat to check his dress out clothes before he gets releasesd to make sure that everything is there??

Shari
08-25-2007, 06:48 PM
My guy was told that the box was there, but it was not opened until the day he got released.

Luvly143
08-27-2007, 05:09 PM
my husband also got something saying his dressouts had arrived, when he was in camp they let him see the clothes the day they got there (Eel River) in Chino he got a slip saying they arrived but he didn't see them until the day he got out.

joseandmelany1
08-27-2007, 08:35 PM
I have never sent dress outs, but see alot of boxes going through the post office. You have to tape the paper to the outside of the box and still write dress outs on it, some prisons don't give the paper. You also have to send a box no bigger than 12x12. I am not sure when it gets open, but have seen the boxes returned because the stuff didn't follow the guidelines. Like 2 shirts, or I seen 1 that was returned because a belt was included! I also see alot of boxes returned because by the time it gets there the inmate is released. Good luck!

TEELOKSWIFEY
08-28-2007, 02:56 PM
thats right ups dosent delivered to p.o boxes but when i send mines yesterday it said:

if you sending ups you must use street assres with zip code 91710
and if sending us mail u must used p.o box and zip code 91708

once again this was for CIM in chino for the MSF rcw,rcc and rce may be different since i believe there only receptions:thumbsup:

Lovingmyhubby07
08-28-2007, 07:15 PM
I know that this might be a stupid question but I"m planning on sending out the parole clothes tommorrow, but I don't have a box? The post office should have boxes right?? Any info would be GREAT, THANKS!!!

Shari
08-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Yes you can buy boxes at the post office. They have all different sizes there. I guess all prisons allow different things in the dress out boxes. When I sent my fiances to SQ I sent a belt, hat, jeans, shirt, jacket, socks, boxers, and boots. He had no problem getting any of it. I guess the best thing is to check with R&R where you are sending it to get their guidelines.

Luvly143
08-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Shaa I have also sent a belt each time and it never got sent back...

TEELOKSWIFEY
08-29-2007, 01:46 PM
WELL THE FORM SAID YOU CAN SEND:

:) JEANS OR SHORTS
:) BELT
:) TENNIS SHOES OR SHOES
:) JACKET
:) BOXES , UNDERSHIRT & SOCKS
:) TSHIRT
:) IDENTIFICATION (DRIVER LICENSE OR COUNTY ID)

:mad: THE CLOTHES CAN'T BE DARK GREEN OR KAHKI.

Lovingmyhubby07
08-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks Ladies!!! I just sent out the parole clothes today!! Yeah, hopefully it'll make it there, because I did put the slip on the box and I addressed it to R & R with dress out all over the box.. I did get a confirmation slip to check on it when it does get to the prison.. I should be okay right? I just sent a black khaki pant, black belt, a shirt, tank top, boxer, sock, and shoes? I thought that it was gonna be much harder but with the helps that I got from here, it helped me out ALOT!! I wish all you ladies the best!! Once again, THANK YOU from the BOTTOM OF MY HEART!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MizzGomez
06-20-2008, 07:46 PM
I didn't know where to post this but I'm sure it falls under a package.
My man gets released soon and i wanted to know how do i go about sending his dress outs.... I have no idea as to what can i send or how LOL:confused:.... any answers will be appreciated....:thumbsup:

LuvandLaughsCA
06-20-2008, 08:14 PM
No more than 30 days before his release date send them in a box, you can use one of those priority mail boxes you purchase for a flat rate at the post office...I think the rate is around $8.95. If I have learned correctly from other posts you send them to his regular mailing address however make sure you write "Dress Outs" in big letters on the box.

As for what you can send I'm not exactly sure but I would hazard to guess...pants, shirt, socks, shoes, belt, etc.

You might try asking in the forum for the prison he's at the ladies there would have a better idea.

Good luck and congrats on him coming home. :thumbsup:
My man gets released soon and i wanted to know how do i go about sending his dress outs.... I have no idea as to what can i send or how LOL:confused:.... any answers will be appreciated....:thumbsup:

PTO-79211
06-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I just wanted to add that you can order his clothes through certain catalogs...he can send it to you with what he would like for you to buy for him to wear out....although it can be very expensive. I told my husband...that he isnt getting anything all that great for dress out clothes...so not to be expecting it...LOL :D

Congrats on him coming home:thumbsup:

No more than 30 days before his release date send them in a box, you can use one of those priority mail boxes you purchase for a flat rate at the post office...I think the rate is around $8.95. If I have learned correctly from other posts you send them to his regular mailing address however make sure you write "Dress Outs" in big letters on the box.

As for what you can send I'm not exactly sure but I would hazard to guess...pants, shirt, socks, shoes, belt, etc.

You might try asking in the forum for the prison he's at the ladies there would have a better idea.

Good luck and congrats on him coming home. :thumbsup:

desertmoonwoman
06-21-2008, 12:13 AM

Dress Outs is as good as He's Getting Out!
Congratualtions! You made it!

Imani
06-21-2008, 01:28 AM
Something else I included in the dress outs for my friend was: A smalll sample of cologne that you can throw away right then and there after use, his flight information. I also included that in a letter to him in case one of them got lost he has at least one copy. Also when you do sent his dress out get a delivery conformation which is about $1.75 that way you can keep track of the package sense they have to scan it on delivery. Prioity Mail is the best way to go and that is about $8.95 or so now sense the price of stamps went up. All in all you would have to spend around $10.70 to ship the package with delivery conformation

Congrats that your loved is getting out

sadgirlnsnaps
06-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks Every One I Also Wanted To Know How It All Worked Out With The Dress Out

itslove
03-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Can anyone tell me what is the best shipping method to send dressouts? Should I use Fed-ex, UPS, or regular mail? Do you know what it ranges in price when you are shipping a complete outfit and shoes? Thanks!

mrs.grumps
03-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Can anyone tell me what is the best shipping method to send dressouts? Should I use Fed-ex, UPS, or regular mail? Do you know what it ranges in price when you are shipping a complete outfit and shoes? Thanks!

I've always used UPS, it depends on the weight & where it's going but it's never been more then $20.00 for me. You can go onto their website & calculate shipping costs. :thumbsup:

Mbyrd
03-17-2010, 05:10 PM

I took mine to the Post Office. It cost about $10 for 3 day shipping.

Mrs.760
03-20-2010, 10:41 PM

Page #2 has some good info for you.

Shari
03-21-2010, 05:54 AM
I always used USPS and put it in the large flat rate piority mail box. It takes 2 to 3 days to get there. In the box you can put up to 80 lbs. and it only cost around $15. You can add a extra 70 cents and have a tracking number.

wonbyjc
04-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Ok, so its almost time for me to send my guy his dress outs. He says the package has to be a certain size. I am wondering if I am also allowed to send a belt or what I can and cant send to him? Thank you in advance for any help. I tried to look on the cdcr site and couldnt find anything. Thanks

D4C
04-18-2010, 10:43 AM
The last time I sent dress outs I went and got the flat-rate priority mail box and I put the following things inside:

Shoes, two pairs of laces (so he could pick what color), socks, shorts, boxers, a belt, a slingshot, a white tee-shirt, a jersey, and a bandanna.

Oh yeah and I wrote "DRESS OUTS" all over the outside of the box and sent it in about 30 days before his release date.

Hope that helps.

Shari
04-18-2010, 04:10 PM
I did it the same way and yes you can send a belt. I sent a pair of jeans, a shirt, socks, boxers, a hat, and a sweat shirt.

You can always call the R&R Dept. at the prison he is at and ask them if there is a limit on the size box, what you can send and if you need a form for the box. I know there are a few prisons that require that you have a form from them on the box when you send it.

And like Down4Crow said make sure you right all over the box with a thick black marker "DRESS OUTS"

light at end
04-18-2010, 05:48 PM
The dress out form I have says the maximum size limit is 20x15x12 and can't exceed 30 lbs.

anjel295
08-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Hello all, can anyone tell me wHat all can go in a dress out box? Thanks in advance.

afirsttimer
08-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Well in California you put the clothes he is going to wear out. I put his shoes, jeans, shirt, boxers and a belt. I forgot to put in a wife beater and some socks. That is all you put in there. Make sure you write dress outs really big over the whole box.

anjel295
08-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Do you know if a baseball cap is allowed? He is releasing from HDSP Susanville.

timsbro22
08-19-2010, 12:38 AM
Looking for the same info... specifically if I can include more than one outfit.
And what is the address to send the dress out box too?
He is at CMC in California.
Thanks; Timsbro

Shari
08-19-2010, 07:28 AM
I have never heard of putting in more than one outfit, you might want to call R&R at the prison and ask them. Also you should ask your guy if you need a special label to mail in the Dress Outs. Some prisons require it. I know when I sent my guy his I sent jeans, shirt, boxers, socks, a baseball cap and his boots.

2sleepy
08-23-2010, 11:50 PM
At SATF they give the inmate a form that lists what they can receive. There is a shipping label on the form, if you send the dress outs without the form attached they will send them back.

tazigirl09
09-04-2010, 05:51 PM
I need to know what I can send to the prison for my son the day he gets out, he is getting out on the 22nd Sept and I have no idea what to do HELP Please.

brown1226
09-04-2010, 09:19 PM
When sending dress out clothing, does it have to be new with the tag on it?

mrs.grumps
09-04-2010, 10:43 PM
When sending dress out clothing, does it have to be new with the tag on it?

No, they don't have to be new.

light at end
09-05-2010, 06:03 PM
You can send 1 pair of pants or shorts, 1 shirt, 1 pair of shoes, 1 jacket, 1 belt, 1 pair of underwear. Lot's of prisons require that you attatch a dress out form that your son will need to send you.

Sylvia
09-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Also check with the prison he is at some require your inmate send you a form with the list of items you can send and that form has to be attached to the outside of the box. At my son's prison you do not need the form. Also the clothes at his facility can not have any of the tags attached if they are new.

vickiemunster
09-08-2010, 05:23 PM
i WANT to send a parole box out today but i dont remember what the size of the box has to be and what address do i put on it..

it's going to CCWF i'm at the post office right now can someone please help me :(

Sylvia
09-08-2010, 06:10 PM
You address it the same as your letters and write DRESS OUTS on all sides of the box.

Do not include any extra things in the box, just one set of clothes. No tags on the items. The smallest box they will fit in.

vickiemunster
09-08-2010, 06:17 PM
You address it the same as your letters and write DRESS OUTS on all sides of the box.

Do not include any extra things in the box, just one set of clothes. No tags on the items. The smallest box they will fit in.

Yay thank you so much I hope the box I sent is correct