View Full Version : california rules on registering as drug offender when on Interstate Transfer

05-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I recently released from Illinois to parole in California and was told I have to register as a drug offender, per California requirement. I just found out that I was suppose to have received a form to take to the police station for this registration, from parole. Can't find any info on this state requirement and how it works. I tried to call parole officer and left message. I then called front desk and was told per the computer that I still haven't been accepted for parole in California yet, even though I have been here a month and was told by Illinois I was approved for transfer that is how I was able to leave Illinois. Do I register as I was told I need to do or do I wait until they finish my transfer. The R number they gave me for cdc is supposedly temporary until I get accepted and I will get an I number once accepted. Just trying to do the right thing

06-11-2006, 12:32 AM
I'm not familiar with the registration, but I can help you a bit with the Interstate Compact rules. As you are probably already aware, under the Interstate Compact rules, you are required to comply with the parole conditions of the receiving state as well as whatever parole conditions you were under in Illinois. Since you have been granted permission to reside in CA until the transfer is complete as evidenced by the fact that you have been assigned a temp number, then you are currently under the jurisdiction of CA, so it would be safe to say that you will need to register per CA rules. So I guess it's just the matter of you getting the form? Parole won't give you the form because you're not in the system?

06-11-2006, 02:04 AM
Ok, this is what I found in the CA DOM (Departmental Operating Manual) I was trying to copy/paste the section but my computer is acting foul at the moment. Here's the link to the DOM scroll all the way down to the section about Control Substance

Basically, it says that if you were committed outside of CA then you are required to register within 30 days after establishing residency. The parole agent will determine during the initial interview if you are required to register and will give you instructions at that time which sheriff's office you will need to register with based upon your address. So since you don't have a parole agent yet, then you have to sit tight until you are assigned a parole agent and have the initial interview.

06-14-2006, 03:52 PM
I don't know what county you are in but in Santa Clara COunty they are pretty tough (The police) on unregistered offenders. They will violate you in a second. I would go in and get the Officer of the Day to give you the HS registration Form and just go down to the police station to register.