View Full Version : Kirkland R & E Visitation

June Baby
05-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Does anybody know anything about Kirkland visitation? If so is there a age limit? Can you take a newborn in?

cassina1212
05-24-2006, 08:37 PM
http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88267 June Welcome to PTO click on the link above and it will give you some information about kirkland, my honey is there as well. you can also find information and visitation rules here http://www.doc.sc.gov/ if you have any other questions please feel free to PM me. if you havent done so yet please drop by the South Carolina forum.

Sweetthing29055
05-24-2006, 10:13 PM
As far as i know there is no visiting while they are at kirkland unless they are there over 30 days and i don't think anyone under 18 may visit. If you learn something different please let me know. Thank you

cassina1212
05-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Sweetthing29055,

My honey has been at kirkland now for 9 years with at least 16 to go. you are correct about the R&E part of kirkland
Inmates are not allowed to have visitors during the reception and evaluation process unless they remain in the Reception and Evaluation Center longer than thirty (30) days.
After this time and once the application form has been properly completed, submitted, and approved, the individual is added to the inmate's visiting list. An inmate is provided a copy of his approved visiting list once a week if a change is made during that week.
Minor children must be accompanied by an adult and will be allowed to visit only if they are the inmate's brothers and sisters, the inmate's children (natural or legally adopted), the inmate's stepchildren, grandchildren, or step grandchildren. When an individual arrives at an institution to visit everyone age 10 and older must present a picture identification. Some form of identification, such as a birth certificate, must be provided for children under the age of 10 . Certain criteria must be met by an inmate who wishes to have minor children visit. This information is available to the inmates at their institution.

The above was taken from the SCDC website (http://www.doc.sc.gov/FamilyMemberInformation/InmateVisitation/InmateVisitation.htm) hope it helps you both.

ECHO29
10-17-2006, 10:07 AM
yeah my bro is at the krikland r&e - he's still in classification been there like 38 days, my Impression was he could get visits after 30 , but he still cant cause they say he's still in the evalution BS or whatever.

But they told my mom that she could call an set up an appointment for a special visit during the weekdays but would have to have it approved an so on , but still has had no luck.

Most people are done with that R&E Bullshh in 2 -3 weeks . My Brother is still in that junk an still dont know nothing about nothing.

anyone got advice?

Kahlan
10-20-2006, 04:57 PM
It's not unusual for R & E to take a month or more. He will probably get moved soon.

MshellM
11-19-2009, 12:55 PM
I have a friend who was put in Kirklands on yesterday. Does anyone know of a place I can call to get info as to when we will hear from him? Is there anyway I can get him a message to give him my address in case my mail doesnt make it there soon enough? I just dont want him to feel like Im not concerned. When will he get phone calls? Im sorry for all the questions but I really am lost in this situation.

barky586
11-19-2009, 07:44 PM
You can go ahead and write to him at R&E. Be sure to bring his attention to your new address. He will have very little supplies right now. In fact, he might not have paper and pencil yet and when he does he will get very little, so just keep writing. He'll respond when he can. Your letters will be the highlight of his day. His address there is:

His Name, #___________ (look his SCDC # up here: https://sword.doc.state.sc.us/incarceratedInmateSearch/
You must use that # for him from today until his last day of incarceration - each time you write
Kirkland R&E
4344 Broad River Road
Columbia, SC 29210

He will call when he can. Very sporadic at best. They will issue him a temporary pin number to use and the calls will be collect. When he mails you paperwork (i.e. visitation/phone applications), fill them out, keep a copy and mail them back pronto. That way, by the time he gets moved to his regular prison, you can be approved for visits and for him to call you. He will be able to call you on a more predictable, regular basis once he leaves R&E. R&E, last accounts I had, was running maybe 70 days or so. Maybe someone else will chime in here who has a loved one who was in R&E more recently than mine, because it varies. In your letter, please reassure him that R&E is as bad as it gets. His "regular" prison will be better - no matter which one they send him to! Conditions there are bad (I don't mean they will beat him or anything like that), but they are not idea. On the 30th day, if he is still at R&E, you can request a visit and should be granted one. But visits can be very regular (i.e. two a week) once he gets transferred.

If you think of anything else, just ask. We've all been where you are now.

bennyneedsdad
11-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Make sure your home phone carrier has an agreement to accept collect calls from a SC detention center. Charter Comm does not. I think Bellsouth does. If yours does not, from the SCDC website, set up an account with Embarq at 1-888-664-7839. That's what we use.

MshellM
11-20-2009, 10:06 AM
First let me thank you both for your help. Im really lost when it comes to all of this. This is his 2nd time in the SC prisons but I wasnt around for the first time. I heard some ppl say since its his 2nd time maybe he would b quicker to get a bed. Does anyone know? Also his family put some money at our County Jail for him on the day of his trial but I need to know did that money transfer over to his Cooper Trust Fund. Does anyone know a number I can call to check this status? I called to Inmate Services but the lady I spoke with wasnt aware. I called our County Jail and they told me he had been released so Im sure they have no clue. I know right now he doesnt need anything but as his soon as he gets to new place I want him to be able to have money right away. Will the money I transfer on there go into his account right away? Ive mailed him everday so hopefully soon he will get something. I had the first two letters overnighted since Im in Louisiana and SC is so far away. Being in the military right now really sucks because on my Christmas break Im not promised a visit. :( Thanks again for all your help. I greatly appreciate it...

MshellM
11-20-2009, 10:11 AM
I forgot to mention that I have a cell phone but I went online and got the number to add the prepaid mins to my phone. Is that a guaranteed work? I hope hes able to call soon because nobody has heard from him since he left the county jail so we are all worried..Im not sure y really cause where he is hes can only be managing right. Once I hear his voice I think I will feel better...

Striker87
10-15-2012, 09:09 AM
My love is at Kirkland. He has been there for almost a month now. As of now, they are over capacity so inmates are being kept there at least 60 days for most. (Its normally a 30 day period) My man, is in a 2 bunk cell with2 cellmates and himself. So he has a mat on the floor.I took him about a business week to get his pin.

Phone calls are only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Sometimes they can request day or night shift calls. Its very rare that the request is fullfilled. Calls being at 6am and end around 8pm. you have to be basically on call all day.

You do not need to fill out a phone application for Kirkland. They use a new serve called GTL (Global Tel Link) if you know your inmates number you can put money on your phone online at OffenderConnect.com.

As far as letters OUT, they only get issued 6 peices of paper, 2 envelopes and 2 stamps a month. Be sure to ask his pod number ASAP. I sent him a letter without it and he still hasnt gotten it. So chances are they trash it, bc i havent gotten returned either.

At Kirkland R & E there is no canteen so you cannot opt to put money on his books for snacks, extra stamps, etc. It sucks hardcore. However there is JPAY in place called the Cooper Trust Fund. This is linked to his social security number and will transfer with him WHEREVER they go. So, although he cannot access it now, you can begin putting some funds on it so when he gets to a permanent yard, he will have some cash to wiggle with.

They are very strict there, they are on lock up 23 hours a day. There IS air conditioning, which I read in another thread they were out the AC but it has been since fixed.

As far as visitation goes, I do know they aren't allowed any visits until they have been there for 30 days. Even then, it's immediately family ONLY. So us girlfriends and boyfriends and fiancees are screwed.

Write as often as possible! Be around when they call. (15 minutes twice a week.) They can also split up the time they can call one person for 7.5 minutes and then call someone else as well for 7.5.

You can send up to 10 (non poloroid or laminated) photos at a time. so stuff em in there! Pictures and letters mean the world to your inmate. They are also allowed to have newpaper clippings and online articles. The alotted 10 still applies. Make sure you dont send any extra stationary and take all staples out! Big no-no.

I have pushed my luck with using a piece of tape to seal an overstuffed envelope shut. I will find out if he got that one.

I hope this helped anyone with newly admitted loved ones in this facility.

Striker

worry2012
10-15-2012, 11:44 AM
thank you so much for the information. this was very helpful. my boyfriend has been at kirkland since 8/14 and yet has not been transferred to a yard yet. and its killing me bc i can not go and see him bc i not wifey. i do get the phone calls but lately the last few thursday R & E has been on lockdown so only one phone call a week and can not see him is killing me.

DzWifey08
10-15-2012, 10:55 PM
If you are an approved vistor after 30 days you should be allowed to go my bro n laws girlfriend went. Visits for them are Mon to Fri from 12 to 2.

worry2012
10-16-2012, 04:19 AM
Every time I call they tell me I can't bc I'm his girlfriend we have to be common law or married. I am going to call today and see what happens.

Striker87
10-16-2012, 07:44 AM
If you are an approved vistor after 30 days you should be allowed to go my bro n laws girlfriend went. Visits for them are Mon to Fri from 12 to 2.

Not legally. What other inmates tend to do, is list their girlfriends as sisters to hve them be allowed to visit. As much as I would have loved to do that, I don't want to risk getting caught and having my visitation privelages revoked in the future.

worry2012
10-16-2012, 07:57 AM
i called this morning still shot down have to be either common in law which you have to show proof or wife even though he put down girlfriend and i put girlfriend down on the application i am consider as a "friend" despite how long we been together!!!!!!! CRAZY

beachmomma
04-22-2013, 11:32 AM
I set up a visit for next Monday. I am assuming the "campus" is large. Will I have trouble finding where I am supposed to go? How early can I arrive- just to wait in my car. Can anyone tell me the approximate cost of snacks and does the paykey work in other facilities?
I'm feeling pretty anxious.

choclgs
04-27-2013, 04:17 AM
I set up a visit for next Monday. I am assuming the "campus" is large. Will I have trouble finding where I am supposed to go? How early can I arrive- just to wait in my car. Can anyone tell me the approximate cost of snacks and does the paykey work in other facilities?
I'm feeling pretty anxious.

The signs around the complex will guide you to where you need to go very easily. I don't believe you'll be able to wait in the car, but if you've scheduled a visit, a few minutes early is okay and it gives them time to bring him to you. The paykey works like a debit card except it's the size of a flash drive. You purchase it for $5 (not a part of the balance) and add money to it at the same machine. You can only deposit $5,10, and 20 bills in the machine. The cost of the snacks range from 0.75 (soda, tea) to $4.00 (burgers, pizza, sandwiches). Take at least $25-35 for snacks based upon his appetite. I assure you that you can spend that much easily and if they haven't had a decent meal, he can eat 2-3 of those burgers and sandwiches in a visit. The paykey may not work where he's transferred to so try to use the balance up just in case they move him and you have to purchase another one. There's a sign posted which paykeys work where.

beachmomma
04-27-2013, 05:55 PM
He was moved to Wateree this week, Wed or Thurs so no visitation. Bittersweet as he was ready to get out of R&E!
He called today, I was so surprised as I thought it would be 5-6 weeks before he was able to call. He also said we could visit next weekend already but I will call to see for real. I have a bunch of family coming in on Sat for a week as my niece is getting married next Thursday so maybe after they all leave on Sat, we can go depending on when his visitation is.
Thanks for the reply!

joynancy0124
09-23-2013, 05:02 AM
hey,
i have read your post and i am new in this forum but sorry to say i dont have any idea about it but yes one of my friend have good knowledge about this stuff so i will tell him to help you out and i will message you asap