View Full Version : Have questions about Parole? Check here first!

egs
05-16-2006, 05:01 PM
The PA Parolee Handbook [which should answer most questions about parole in PA] can be accessed by clicking here!!! (http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/PBPP/Handbook/introduction.htm)

In general the PA Parole and Probation website has a plethora of good information--click here (http://www.pbpp.state.pa.us/pbpp/site/default.asp) to access their website.

Mrs_JRenninger
08-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Thank you. I really have no idea what a thread is but, would love to be able to chat soon. I guess 25 threads is not that bad. Besides I am learning alot already.

NEWJERSEYMOM
06-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Hi, Folks

This website is great and the knowledge and support given by everyone is not only invaluable but uplifting, as many of you already know!!!

Son's incarcerated at SCI ROCKVIEW is coming up for parole in Nov 2007. We are trying to prepare Home Plan, etc., but need some help re: Where do we find out who his Parole person(s) is/are, their telephone number and addresss?

Since he is from NJ, when he does his Home Plan, is there anything special he has to put in it about the Interstate Compact Agreement or will he be paroled in PA first, sent to Halfway House (?) and then processed from there?

Any concrete advice you can give is sincerely appreciated by both of us.

HAVE A GREAT FOURTH OF JULY!!!

kare bear
06-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Don't bet the house on this but it is my understanding that if you are out of state you don't have to do the halfway house thing first that they parole you to your state. I had a friend who had a job and everything set up in Virginia and instead of making him go to a halfway house they just paroled him to VA.

bobble60
07-06-2007, 06:50 PM
I have a friend who had the exact opposite experience.

ANGELGURL
01-19-2008, 11:19 PM
my son is up for parole in march how long does it take from his parole hearing until his release ? he is in a pa state prison and we live in pa other end of state. he said he might not get out until april or may seems a long time from march his csi is backing him for parole, is their anything i can do to help him with parole we are praying, he comes home. thank you for any information its been a long haul

egs
01-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Parole hearings and decisions are slow going in PA. He should have a hearing soon and then will have to wait for quite a while until he finds out their decision, as in 4-8 weeks wait! He needs to have a home plan in place [he should have talked w/you about this already if he is planning on living w/you b/c he would have to put this into his parole package that gets reviewed by the PB members who are reviewing his case].
You could write a letter of support but to be honest, his file is probably complete and your letter is not likely to find itself into his file in time. But you can try...you may want to discuss this w/your son and see if you should send such a letter to his parole counselor or to the central office in Harrisburg.
Good luck to him!!!

NEWJERSEYMOM
07-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Hi, Elaine

Finally, my son has come up for parole in PA and has recd green sheet with the following:
1. Attend Outpatient SO treatment;
2. Do not enter establishments that serve or sell alcohol
3. No contact with victim or victim's family
4. Maintain employment
5. Obey Rules of SO treatment Program
6. Sex Offender Supervisory protocol applies
7. Pay monthly supervisory fees as determined by Parole staff

Q. Do you know what 6 and 7 mean, Supervisor protocol?

Q. What state's Parole Rules apply when someone is sent from PA to NJ via Interstate Compact?

As always, thanks for all your help!!!

xgot420issuesx
07-05-2008, 08:10 AM
I am not mpositive about #6 but I believe it means that he must register as an SO.
#7 Means there is a monthly fee that one must pay when they are on Parole. I believe my husbands fee was $35.00 a month plus the cost of his urine tests.
I believe that he must comply with both states parole rules, but what is on his green sheet must be followed.
My husband and I had looked into moving once he is released from prison while he is still on parole, and from what we had learned the parole rules of both states apply. It is just that NJ will agree to go by what Pennsylvania has on his green sheet also.

egs
07-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Different rules apply for those who are identified as sex offenders--the protocol may depend on your son's sexual offense classification. You may find something about this protocol on the PA Parole website. I'm guessing a tighter lease is applied [figuratively speaking]. This may have been covered before; but did you get clarified as to whether either PA and/or NJ would accept a parolee moving to the other state if convicted of a sexual offense via interstate compact?

missi1969
02-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Ok now I have a question. My fiance just had a pre parole hearing at SCI pittsburgh. His minimum sentence is up in June . The lady at the interview told him he would have his parole hearing in 2-3 weeks from then. This was 2 weeks ago ( at Pittsburgh). He submitted all his letters of support and everything for his parole packet at that time. We'll yesterday he was just transferred to SCI Chester . How is that transfer going to affect his parole hearing? What about all his letters he submitted while in Pittsburgh? Will his packet follow him or what? Will his hearing be delayed because of the move? Also . We live in WV and he has to go through the interstate compact. The counselor and IPP in pittsburgh both told him that he does not submitt a home plan until he has his green sheet. But Eggs, you just said he has to have a home plan in place to be granted parole. Was he given the wrong information at Pittsburgh? I am really confused and the counselors wont tell me much when I call . I don't know whats going on now with his parole. They are telling him that the interstate compact doesn't take long but from what I can gather it takes 3-6 months. He can only do what they allow him to do there and I can do nothing. Any info is appreciated about this. THanks guys.

bobble60
03-01-2009, 09:01 PM
His parole file follows him to the new location, and he should be on the Board's docket regardless of the transfer. They should be able to see him at Chester the next time they are there. He should make sure his new counselor knows this, and it wouldn't hurt to send a request slip to the institutional parole agent as well.

Meanwhile, the interstate home plan does take extra time. They allow six months because so much has to go back and forth between the two states ... all of it on paper.

Clearly, the transfer came at a less than opportune moment, but it shouldn't create much of a delay.

johnswifey08
03-24-2009, 04:18 PM
I have a question. My fiancee is right now at SCI Camp Hill. He was sentenced to 1-2yrs which 63 days served which is only 10 months of time to do. Now it was been 2 months I know things run very slow in Pa but when does he start workin on his parole packert?

missi1969
04-01-2009, 08:01 PM
We started working on my husbands parole packet about 6 months before his parole hearing ( which was 4 months before his minimum date)

elite girl
10-04-2009, 10:02 PM
any one know about parole violators

egs
10-05-2009, 05:35 PM
What do you need to know? The PA Parole website has a link that provides info. about parole violators [those who have absconded/gone missing].
http://www.pbpp.state.pa.us/absconders/site/default.asp?pbppNav=|

jennalovesmark
12-05-2009, 06:16 AM
ok not sure about this my boyfriend just went to his violation hearing they took away his street time and revoc his parole the court document reads on the web committe to serve balance of his unexpired term what does that mean ?? he got imm. work release and his po is telling him get a job and i'll let you out

BigCrip
12-29-2009, 04:31 PM
My nephew, incarcerated at Coal Township, received a 3 to 6 year sentence as a non-violent offender. This comming May he will have completed serving 2 years. Yet, the prison administration is now suddenly telling him there may be a problem with his release concerning his juvenile record from 1983, which has absolutely nothing to do with his currectly being locked up. However, he seems to understand there is an early release that may be available and he has already submitted paperwork to be circulated to the DA and judge to sigh off if they find he has not been a prisoner problem since his conviction. My nephew believes he may soon be released (within 2 to 4 months). This would mean he would be out without completing his minimum. Are they just toying with his mind and his hopes. Does anyone have a definitive and current early release policy that is put out by authority?

bethbupp
12-29-2009, 05:27 PM
My nephew, incarcerated at Coal Township, received a 3 to 6 year sentence as a non-violent offender. This comming May he will have completed serving 2 years. Yet, the prison administration is now suddenly telling him there may be a problem with his release concerning his juvenile record from 1983, which has absolutely nothing to do with his currectly being locked up. However, he seems to understand there is an early release that may be available and he has already submitted paperwork to be circulated to the DA and judge to sigh off if they find he has not been a prisoner problem since his conviction. My nephew believes he may soon be released (within 2 to 4 months). This would mean he would be out without completing his minimum. Are they just toying with his mind and his hopes. Does anyone have a definitive and current early release policy that is put out by authority?

Check this thread. http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204190

bonez_wifey
01-17-2010, 03:40 PM
MY BOYFRIEND HAS SEEN THE PAROLE BOARD ALREADY. HE SAW THEM ON DECEMBER 29, 2009. HE SAID THAT HE IS WAITING FOR HIS GREEN SHEET TO COME BACK AND HE FEELS THAT HE WAS GRANTED PAROLE BECAUSE THEY ASKED HIM IF HE HAD A HOME PLAN, AND HE SAID YES, THEY ALSO ASKED HIM IF HE HAD A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF MONEY ON HIS BOOKS FOR A TICKET TO GET TO WHERE HE WAS GOING. SHOULD I BE EXCITED ABOUT THAT? THIS IS MY FIRST TIME GOING THROUGH THIS AND I AM NERVOUS. HE WAS GRANTED PAROLE BEFORE IN AUGUST, AND THEY SAID THAT HE COULDNT GO BECAUSE THERE WERE 2 PROGRAMS THAT HE HAD TO COMPLETE, COME TO FIND OUT HE HAD ALREADY COMPLETED THE PROGRAMS AND HAS HAD EVERYTHING COMPLETED FOR OVER A YEAR! WHAT SHOULD I DO? I AM SOOO LOST BECAUSE WHEN I CALL TO THE PRISON THEY WONT TELL ME ANYTHING BECAUSE I AM NOT HIS WIFE NOR IMMEDIATE FAMILY! HELP ME SOMEONE! PLEASE :confused:

egs
01-17-2010, 07:00 PM
4-6 weeks to wait for a parole decision is not uncommon. Prison won't tell you anything b/c parole is not their domain. You would need to contact Parole in Harrisburg.

bonez_wifey
01-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks egs.. With them telling him all that information is that a postitive thing? He was told that they tell them that information when they are letting you go! I sure hope so:(

bobble60
01-21-2010, 07:38 PM
It appears to be positive, but you should always brace yourself for the unexpected. While it's true that they ask about a home plan as a consideration for parole, they can ask that question anytime they want. Ditto with the money question, although that's the DOC's concern more than Parole's.

Where I think you have reason to be optimistic is that he has completed all his programs and appears to have been on the doorstep last time.

sucker4mylove
02-09-2010, 04:58 PM
i found NOTHING of use in the parole handbook web site, except - in PA a sex offender is a piece of sht and might be allowed to quietly beg for parole after his 26-year MIN. why don't they just be humane and "put him down" instead of making us pay what, $40,000 per year to keep him alive in jail? don't get me wrong, i love him dearly, but it all seems so unfair. it would make more sense to just tattoo SO on his face & let him go. sorry, i'm just a LITTLE annonyed!

bobble60
02-27-2010, 01:11 PM
My advice to anyone with a lot of time ahead of him would be to wait and see what happens with the system. A lot can change in five or ten years.

meg049
03-04-2010, 12:00 AM
My SO is soon to be paroled from SCI Houtzdale, but so far has nowhere to go and will have almost no money!! He's asked to be released to Pittsburgh and has been trying to find a place to live cheaply and to make contacts to find work, but it's almost IMPOSSIBLE from inside the prison. SO, HOW DOES THIS PROCESS WORK? I'm afraid it's going to be an "out of the frying pan and into the fire" kind of thing, and that he will end up homeless and jobless. I am in CA. and can't help much. WHO can I contact to find affordable housing (that will take ex-cons) in Pittsburgh?? I've combed the internet for some charity or group that helps with this process but have found none so far...ANY ADVICE WOULD REALLY REALLY BE APPRECIATED!!

granny4kids
03-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Trying to find out what happens here in PA once a home visit is made. Inmate already has a green sheet and parole approval and did all programs required. Thank you. :idea:

bobble60
03-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Once the home has been vbisited, the agent submits his recommendation for approval or rejection. If approved, the Board proceeds with the release process, either directly to the home or to a halfway house.

missi1969
06-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Bobble, my finance has been paroled since oct 09 . he was stuck in laurel highlands doing more programs until march 2010 because they lost his paper work. He was ultimately to go to hwh in pittsburgh for 90 days complete vp again and be released to approved home plan. He put a interstate compact request in mid march and we waited. First part of june i called compact office and there was no record of anything ever being submitted. I called po and counselors. COme to find out they had never submitted it and at this late date ( he was due to be out June 15 - today) they told him he could reapply to another state and wait at hwh for 4-6 more months or rent an apartment there and then apply to come home. He wants out of the hwh so he rents an apartment 2 weeks ago. Turns in new home plan to po . He was told today that it will be 4-6 weeks until they get around to inspecting his home plan. While he continues to work and give the hwh 40% of his income and they allot him just $50 a week to live on . He will not be able to pay rent in two places at once . To top it all off its been 3 weeks since they have given his prescribed depression and anxiety medication. If you have any suggestions on what I can do from this end I would really appreciate it. I have called his po but he isn't very helpful . Thanks ahead of time for all advice.

bobble60
06-19-2010, 10:18 PM
He should let the HWH know that he's paying rent on an apartment and can't afford to pay room & board to them at the same time. They may cut him a break if he shows them a copy of the lease as proof of what he's paying.

I think you can call the HWH and ask about the meds. Under HIPPA, they can't divulge his medical information, but you can tell them you know his condition and you know he's supposed to be getting certain meds. They may or may not try to explain why they've withheld them, but the call should get someone working on it.

As for inspecting the home, if he's in Philadelphia or another urban area, the 4-6 weeks is about right. The suburban areas are quicker.

brandonwife
08-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Can someone tell me how many times a parole hearing can be postpone?

bobble60
08-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Are we talking about a Gagnon I, Gagnon II, or a parole interview for release?

brandonwife
08-21-2010, 04:28 AM
For release

Danzwife83
08-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Gagnon II also how many times can they be postponed?

bobble60
09-04-2010, 06:45 AM
A parole interview should take place prior to the minimum date and then at the date of any subsequent hits (these are on green sheets that deny parole). There is no law as to when the interview must take place beyond this rule, although unreasonable delays could be grounds for court action.

The Gagnon II is a more legally-controlled proceeding. If it is postponed, the grounds for doing so must be reasonable. The parolee can bring court action against the Board for unreasonable delays, and he then has the burden of proving that point. Usually, by the time the courts get involved, the Board has held the hearing.

jpalmer1959
09-30-2010, 07:07 PM
My son's Min. date is today and he has been told he won't see parole till sometime next month. He is in there for probation violations and got 6 mo to 2 years... thinks he's gonna have to do tc classes. How long is he looking at? He's been in Pittsburgh for 6 weeks now and is getting frustrated cuz he is accomplishing nothing toward getting out. Any ideas?

bobble60
10-03-2010, 06:23 PM
The problem with such a short minimum is that he can't get on the parole docket in time. And if he has to do a TC, it won't begin until he gets to a "home prison". They run about 4 months.

sswtkl601
10-09-2010, 09:12 AM
OK I have a question my fiance is in there for statutory sexual assault. he was dating a 15 yr old going on 16 when he was 20 and her therapist called and pressed charges on him. the judge said he had to do sex offender evaluation but didn't say anything about sex offender registry and now he tells me bc i have a child in the home (who will be 17 upon his parole) and might be pregnant with his baby that they told him he does not have a home plan when his lawyer told me at court that i need to contact her when the time comes up so she can try and do something about this. does anyone know anything about these issues? Thank you.

bobble60
10-09-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm sorry to say that this is not going to go as planned. As we so often see, the people talking in court rarely understand everything they're talking about. In this case, the judge was in no position to control or order any kind of treatment; nor can he order someone NOT to undergo treatment within the DOC. He has no actual authority over the DOC or the Parole Board.

The judge can not waive registry under Megan's Law. This is a strict liability statute, which means NO ONE can "modify" the law's requirements. His charge requires him to comply with Megan's Law, and no judge can relieve him of that.

No lawyer is going to convince the Board to let him live with a minor after he victimized a minor. Start looking for an approvable home plan, which will have to be not less than 1000 feet from every school, playground and daycare.

jpalmer1959
10-10-2010, 08:16 PM
The problem with such a short minimum is that he can't get on the parole docket in time. And if he has to do a TC, it won't begin until he gets to a "home prison". They run about 4 months.

Pittsburgh is his home prison and he has been there well over 6 weeks so far...Other inmates that have longer
min. and got there after him are already in the TC program..This is what is so frustrating

brandonwife
10-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I posted this question somewhere else but ireally need help can someone help me or tell me what goes in a letter to parole board!

bobble60
10-24-2010, 07:19 AM
A letter to the Board should simply state how well you know the individual and how you plan to help him upon release. It should acknowledge the crime and the seriousness of it. It should show that you understand the things which could tempt him to violate parole or re-offend. it should emphasize that you will be "part of the team" to help him succeed, including full co-operation with his parole agent.

4thMonth
12-25-2010, 06:45 PM
if your parole was denied but you have a chance to petition for parole...do u still have a good chance of getting it or not really? and what do u have to do to petition for parole?

bobble60
12-30-2010, 07:08 AM
Petition for parole??? If they denied parole, he can't ask for a new decision until 12 months have elapsed from the date of the denial.

Jenny1973
01-10-2011, 09:36 AM
We started working on my husbands parole packet about 6 months before his parole hearing ( which was 4 months before his minimum date)

We started early too on my dad's. We used a paralegal to help us with ours, cheaper than an lawyer. If you want his info to get some help, let me know.

heavenknows
01-10-2011, 06:50 PM
WHAT IS THE PAROLE PACKAGE AND WHEN SHOU;D IT BE DONE? wHO NEEDS TO GET THIS STARTED. mY HUSBAND IS COMING UP FOR PAROLE SOON ( HASN'T GOTTEN A DATE YET) BUT HIS MIN. RELEASE DATE IS 6-9-11 AND HE IS IN A HALF WAY HOUSE AND HAS FInished all his programs prior to prerelease. He is employed full time and ready to get the ball rolling on his aprt. His counselor told him that he will soon be getting ready for pre paroole, what is that? He has aboutv 5 months to go and zi want anything that needs to be done already done and awiting the parole dept. Thanks for any info

bobble60
01-16-2011, 07:45 PM
The "parole packet" isn't something the prisoner works on; it's done by DOC staff. The packet is basically all the documentation that accompanies the parole application -- reports on conduct, programs, etc., psychological evaluations, home plan (if submitted), work plan (if submitted,) and so on.

Once this file is assembled, he meets with an institutional parole agent nin what is called the "pre-parole interview." At that time, the agent goes over the file with him and makes any corrections or notes. Then the entire thing is sent to HBG in anticipation of the parole interview.

I would say that a min date in June means seeing the Board in March or April, and that means the pre-parole processing should start in a few weeks.

kentcounty
02-21-2011, 03:21 AM
Bobble,

My friend is finishing a 3 year sentence for misuse of a computer with State-created minor. He would like to live in Montgomery County, PA but he has no idea where to look for a residence. I would make calls for him if I had a direction.
I know that if I start calling landlords, they are going to reject him.
Where do I start looking? How do I help him get a home plan together?
Thanks!

bobble60
03-05-2011, 08:05 PM
If he will be a registered sex offender, the search for a home will be difficult. Apartment complexes will almost always refuse; the best chances lie with off-site private landlords. The PBPP has a 1,000 foot distance from schools, day cares and parks, too.

tbnardi
03-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Hate to say it, but I have been tryin to get my man out for over a year now he is paroled, but is a so. We have put in for his gparents which was no go then my house, I live in the woods, have my landlords approval, 1000 ft plus from everything nothing around but trees and woods closet neighbor is .5 miles away and yet still not acceptable by parole we have put in for various other places and parole just keeps denying everything we throw at them, I even put a packet of info together and sent it to the state parole board in hbg complete with pics of where i live letters from my guy, his family, landlords and pf course me, tryin to assure parole he will have all the support he needs when he is released and they pretty much laughed at me, contacted state reps and nothing. inhouse agent tells him find a secluded place to parole to but does nothing to help him....in any case he has 2 years and 4 months to go, Any suggestions at this point would be of great help to me.

jjamm2
03-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Ok I have a question and hopefully someone can help me!!! My mother's husband was recently granted parole after many failed attemptsbut according towhat he's telling my mother he's being denied housing and is not allowed into a halfway house. So my question is why would this be? Inmy opinion there's more to the story than he's saying. Thanks for any help!

tbnardi
03-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Nope my guy is not elgible for a half way house either.apparently in the great state of pa no "approved ." homeplan no half way house for you. Besides if he is a so then to my knowledge there is only one in Pa in Harrisburg and it has a waiting list. I could be wrong but I do not think there is more to the story. But each person and situation is different, like I said my guy has been gettin denials left and right for over a year now. Trying to find a new avenue to explore sooooo far at a complete loss...Good Luck

bobble60
03-12-2011, 07:22 PM
We've been working on this problem for more than a year. The DOC has a rule that they don't admit anyone to their halfway houses until they have an approved home plan, which we feel is kind of backwards. I have a file on my desk from a man who was paroled in 2007 but still sits in prison ...

Each Region has a few halfway houses that accept sex offenders, but they keep the number very low and keep their identities very quiet. The backlog for those few beds is beyond belief.

If anyone wants me to assemble a file for someone and include it in our efforts, PM me with the information. The more prisoners we can refer to, the better our argument becomes.

All4mydaughter
03-29-2011, 10:57 AM
My husband has been granted parole into a halfway house to complete a 90 day program for voilent offenders. What does that mean? Will he have access to leave and look for work like others in the halfway house or will this be a total restriction like prison? What does he have to do?:)

mrsc2be
03-29-2011, 05:11 PM
I believe so. After a very short restrictive movement period, he should be allowed to look for work and go on interviews. He should also get "social" passes. Sounds like it's almost over!

tbnardi
03-31-2011, 10:29 PM
He will/should be permitted to leave and look for work, as I understand it, they have to pay room and board there, can have their own clothes and even vosot with you in the community, it has restrictions but nowhere near what a prison has. He just has to be smart about what he does while he is there as long as he follows the rules he will be fine

teenie1961
05-22-2011, 08:32 AM
I have a question? My husband was sentenced to 18 months to 9 years in a state penitentary,he has been in the county jail for over a month now, he filled out paperwork for a home plan,he received mail in the county jail on Friday the 20th,telling him that the judge that sentenced him,signed the paper allowing him to have a home plan,but the papers I received from the corthouse states his minummum to be anywhere from 6 month to 3 years. I'am so confused as him, what do and should we expect now? Here I was waiting for a call to pick him up at county for him to come home. Please help me out if you can.

sonnersgirl
05-24-2011, 03:26 PM
My fiance is on parole and has a year left. He is also on "special probation"? If he leaves the state and they catch him what type of time is he looking at serving? Myself and our son have lived in another state and the interstate transfer got denied because we were not married. He is just as frustrated as I about being seperated. Our son needs him and he feels if he just goes on the run for however long it lasts then at least we will have had some time together. He got a 1-3 served 19 months and got probation of 3 yrs conqurent with his sentence. I am so lost and desperately seeking info. Please help he, Please.

bobble60
05-29-2011, 07:51 PM
No one here can encourage your fiance to abscond. Frankly, he will be a fugitive for the rest of his life or until he's caught. The time he spends "on the run" won't count towards parole or probation, so he will have to serve in (again) in prison. Furthermore, his probation will be violated, which exposes him to whatever maximum sentence could be applied to that conviction.

With absconding in his jacket, he won't ever be paroled; he'll serve his max. While in custody, he will likely be classified as maximum security, which will limit jobs and other opportunities while in prison.

Bottom line: Nothing is worth absconding.

Littleone604
08-21-2011, 05:25 PM
My boyfriend is in a CCC In Philadelphia. He has been there since May (which was one year from his min.) Now his min is May of 2012. How far behind is paper work and meetings?? should we expect him home by May, June, July?? or later??

bobble60
08-28-2011, 08:33 AM
He will go through the parole process just as if he was in a prison. He must be reviewed by staff and a recommendation will be made. (It's almost unheard of that CCC staff vote against parole.) He then sees the Board and waits for a decision. Right now, green sheets are running 3-6 weeks. Meanwhile, he has to get a home plan approved.

The hang up in Region 1 comes after the green sheet. GFRD serves as the Records Office for the file, but the PBPP poffice responsible for getting the file around is a sits in a Philadelphia Prison and is overworked. Getting the final release clearance can take weeks.

prettywings773
09-08-2011, 02:10 PM
question, If the prison is not supporting his release does that mean he is more than likely going to be denied parole?

bobble60
09-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Sadly, the Board uses the DOC's lack of support as a common reason for denial.

callypitter
09-21-2011, 08:26 AM
My girlfriend & I are both on PA state parole. PA does not recognize same sex marriages...my question is : if we get married in DC or NY, does parole have to allow us to live together? HELP!

Stevensgirl219
01-03-2012, 07:01 AM
My LO is currently at SCI Graterford. He has met with parole once, i guess to get things rolling, my question has to do with a discrepancy between the board and court transcripts...
The transcripts say he will be allowed contact with minors (nieces, nephews, daughters) with supervision - which would mean we would be able to live together with our 5 month old daughter, but the board said no. Who's right? If it was part of his deal shouldn't it be honored since it IS documented?? Any help would be appreciated.

patchouli
01-04-2012, 06:19 AM
I am not familiar with PA SO laws/restrictions....however, in Kentucky, the PO can and will set parole restrictions, which most often include no contact with minors period. Will they in PA in your particular case? I don't know. Perhaps bobble60 will log in and give you more concrete info for PA.

Stevensgirl219
01-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Thank you Patchouli, I hope be logs on and can help. Also, my apologies for double posting.

bobble60
01-08-2012, 07:36 AM
While he is on parole, the parole people can impose restrictions. The sentencing judge can not interfere, nor are his rulings "binding" in that sense.

Your LO can "appeal" the restriction to his agent's District Director, who has probably already signed-off on the home plan. He can then contact the Regional Director of the PBPP, who has the authority to overrule the lower levels. The next level is the Central Office. After that, he could appeal to the Commonwealth Court. As you can see, this is a long and complicated process.

The rule you're fighting is PBPP Procedure 4.01.15, specifically Section VI.A.1.a.1, which directs the investigating agent to "consider" ... "whether children reside in the proposed residence or whether the offender will have contact with visiting or neighboring children, if minors are their victim type." Note that this is a consideration, not a prohibition, which means the agent has discretion. As such, the judge's words can help persuade the PBPP to let him live with his daughter.

Stevensgirl219
01-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Thank you very much, Bobble, for the info- it is very much appreciated!

stepansiri
05-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm sorry to say that this is not going to go as planned. As we so often see, the people talking in court rarely understand everything they're talking about. In this case, the judge was in no position to control or order any kind of treatment; nor can he order someone NOT to undergo treatment within the DOC. He has no actual authority over the DOC or the Parole Board.

The judge can not waive registry under Megan's Law. This is a strict liability statute, which means NO ONE can "modify" the law's requirements. His charge requires him to comply with Megan's Law, and no judge can relieve him of that.

No lawyer is going to convince the Board to let him live with a minor after he victimized a minor. Start looking for an approvable home plan, which will have to be not less than 1000 feet from every school, playground and daycare.

Just wondering if there is any way to reduce the registration time for Sex offender's?

christik999
05-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Just wondering if there is any way to reduce the registration time for Sex offender's?
yes run for election, get voted in , and get a bill passed to change SO law , other then that no

bobble60
05-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Reduce? When Act 111 kicks in at the end of the year, nearly every offender's term on the registry will be extended.

christik999
05-10-2012, 12:48 AM
ok bobble any idea how quick parole decisions are coming back ? we are onweek five almost six waiting is torture.ty

bobble60
05-12-2012, 07:19 PM
I haven't received any data on this recently. I always suggest patience.

bobble60
07-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Most questions about the process of making parole can be answered by the PBPP Inquiry folks at 717-772-4343. They can look up the file and see the status of a parole decision, a home plan approval and all the final steps leading up to release.

TheLadyRoxana
10-24-2012, 02:29 PM
My boyfriend is in Centre County Correctional for a minimum of 6 months. I read the parole handbook and went to talk to him about making sure he has everything ready, but he said Centre County is really lax and there won't even be an interview? I'm pretty sure he's wrong, but I want to make sure. Also, since he'll be in for such a short time, how will that affect his parole process? Should he have everything completed already? He's only been in a month. He won't have any sort of home plan until I can move back there from the Philly area, get a job, and save up enough money to get an apartment.

christik999
11-24-2012, 12:47 PM
My boyfriend is in Centre County Correctional for a minimum of 6 months. I read the parole handbook and went to talk to him about making sure he has everything ready, but he said Centre County is really lax and there won't even be an interview? I'm pretty sure he's wrong, but I want to make sure. Also, since he'll be in for such a short time, how will that affect his parole process? Should he have everything completed already? He's only been in a month. He won't have any sort of home plan until I can move back there from the Philly area, get a job, and save up enough money to get an apartment.
i think the parole handbook is mostly for state prison inmates , your son is in a county prison , he will be going on probation and its can vary county to county and its different then parole. more then likely he will not need a home plan etc

Nan_Dustin2012
12-04-2012, 11:38 AM
What is all this talk about "good time" in Pa? My boyfriend has written to me 3 times now about it...can someone please help me out and give me some real answers?

~<3 Always on my mind and in my heart!!! <3~

bobble60
12-08-2012, 06:59 AM
As we keep saying all over the forum these past few weeks:

THERE IS NO LEGISLATION PENDING THAT WOULD CREATE GOOD TIME FOR STATE PRISONERS IN PENNSYLVANIA.

This is a recurring rumor in the prisons and it has no basis in fact. Inmates are always hoping it will happen, but those hopes end up becoming rumors.

I think the time is ripe to see if such a measure would get through, since it hasn't been seriously considered in more than a decade, but we've heard absolutely nothing from our sources in HBG that any legislator is willing to introduce it.

jstpierre17
12-16-2012, 12:14 AM
I am new to this hoping someone can help me out.. My brother is currently in Quehanna Boot camp in PA and should be released soon which is great but the form that was sent to use i accidentlly misplaced it and i wanted to know how can i get another copy without worrying him and ask him to send another form.. Pleaseee any help will do

bobble60
12-16-2012, 07:51 AM
I found a copy on-line.

Go to http://www.pbpp.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/community_reentry/5357/the_parole_handbook/805113

There you will find a link for the Parole handbook. open the document (Adobe) and go to Page 25 It's the home plan form. you can simply print that page.

I am also attaching it to this post as a pdf.

tracey08054
12-17-2012, 04:54 AM
My loved one goes up either tomorrow (Tuesday) or Thursday and we are so nervous. Please Please Please keep us in all of your thoughts and prayers. God wills ee us through I know he will!

sjones59
12-17-2012, 04:33 PM
My son just got his parole packet and sent me the "Statement of Residence" paper to fill out as he'll be living with me and my husband. In the upper right hand corner it says "April 2013/Minimum/Y". Does anyone know what this means?
Thanks

daniels wife
12-17-2012, 08:03 PM
my husband is in prison in Georgia for theft by receiving stolen property , he has a 2 year sentence, and has already served 11 1/2 months. his next review is 4/25/2013, it will be his second review... and his max out date is 1/3/2014 my question is, do you guys think he will make his review this time?

bobble60
12-19-2012, 12:40 PM
That date sounds like his minimum month and year -- April of 2013.

sjones59
12-19-2012, 06:16 PM
That date sounds like his minimum month and year -- April of 2013.
I thought his minimum was in August of 2013. Maybe its when he sees the Parole Board. He called today and said his packet was going around the prison tomorrow to be signed.

bobble60
12-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Hard to tell ... Sounds like an April docket if they've already started the paperwork.

sjones59
12-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Any time frame for how long it takes for parole packet to make its way around prison for signing? My son is at that stage in the process...thanks!

bobble60
12-25-2012, 12:16 PM
There is no timeline. The "packet" begins with the staffing, at which the inmate is present. Staff attending the staffing sign it there. It then has to get to all those not in the room, nominally both Deputy Superintendents and the Superintendent. The "deadline" is whatever the Institution Parole office sets as the date they need it by.

tallblondie76
03-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Any idea as to how long it generally takes to get a decision from a parole violation hearing?

We expect it to be either a not guilty or time served. Just waiting for the results...#bites nails#

I feel like if he's found not guilty they should let him loose!! Right away!

sjones59
03-29-2013, 08:14 AM
What happens if an inmate can't get a signed employment paper? Are they denied parole? Its hard to get potential employers to sign this paper...most say have them come in & fill out an application. What part of being in prison & up for parole didn't they understand? Its frustrating!

bobble60
03-31-2013, 06:34 AM
No, employment is not a prerequisite for parole. He will be told to write five letters to possible employers asking if they would hire him, and have copies of those letters to show he wrote them. If he should get any nibbles in reply, he should also show them to the parole staff.

sjones59
04-13-2013, 03:09 PM
My son's parole hearing is coming up later this month. Hoping for good news. I hate the waiting & hoping its not a long wait. Praying this journey is over soon. Any idea how long it takes to get the decision of the hearing?

bobble60
04-14-2013, 06:30 AM
We're hearing as little as 3 weeks and as long as 12 weeks.

Rmysticalgal
04-15-2013, 06:13 AM
Good Morning! Just looking for some helpful information regarding the Parole Process in PA. Just wondering about the whole process regarding being transferred to another state. My ex is in a prison in PA and when the time comes for him to start the parole process just wondering about the whole thing and what happens when it starts. I appreciate any information that anybody can give me so I can pass it on to him. Thanking e1 in advance!

tracey08054
04-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Good Morning! Just looking for some helpful information regarding the Parole Process in PA. Just wondering about the whole process regarding being transferred to another state. My ex is in a prison in PA and when the time comes for him to start the parole process just wondering about the whole thing and what happens when it starts. I appreciate any information that anybody can give me so I can pass it on to him. Thanking e1 in advance!

The interstate compact is a very confusing and sometimes frustrating. If the individual has family in the state where they want to go that makes it much better. It does cost a hundred dollars and the parole agent in his facility will start the paperwork with him and then it goes to Harrisburgh and then to the other state. then they have up to fourty five days to make a decision. ( The intertstate compact itself lasts 120 days) We filed intertstate compact and it was approved within 3 weeks so it wasn't too bad. Just keep your head up stay on them call all the time if you have too and pray about it all.

Rmysticalgal
04-15-2013, 05:07 PM
The interstate compact is a very confusing and sometimes frustrating. If the individual has family in the state where they want to go that makes it much better. It does cost a hundred dollars and the parole agent in his facility will start the paperwork with him and then it goes to Harrisburgh and then to the other state. then they have up to fourty five days to make a decision. ( The intertstate compact itself lasts 120 days) We filed intertstate compact and it was approved within 3 weeks so it wasn't too bad. Just keep your head up stay on them call all the time if you have too and pray about it all.

Thank you so much for your input Tracey. He does have family in NJ where he wants to go. I did know about the $100 fee but I heard that they shouldn't really go ahead with the compact until after they know they will for sure be paroled is that true? I hope he is able to get out when his minimum comes around. 3 weeks isn't to bad. Do they do the compact at the time they start the whole parole process or does that come after they approve him? Who should I call the prison or the parole board? I'm just trying to help him out even though we aren't together anymore I do still care for him and always will and i'll try and help him in anyway I can.

I appreciate your kind words Tracey they are really and truly appreciated.

tracey08054
04-16-2013, 05:41 PM
NO they will not start the interstate until he is approved for parole. He then speaks to his parole agent and they have certain paperwork that has to be filled out and then sent to the other state (nj) My husbands parole agent at the facility was very nice but I also called the Interstate office in Harrisburgh and they were very nice there too. There isn't really too much you can do but call every now and again once the paperwork is submitted.. BUt as i said just keep your head up and stay focused.

Rmysticalgal
04-16-2013, 07:12 PM
NO they will not start the interstate until he is approved for parole. He then speaks to his parole agent and they have certain paperwork that has to be filled out and then sent to the other state (nj) My husbands parole agent at the facility was very nice but I also called the Interstate office in Harrisburgh and they were very nice there too. There isn't really too much you can do but call every now and again once the paperwork is submitted.. BUt as i said just keep your head up and stay focused.

Thank you so much for your insightfulness Tracey I really do appreciate it.

anxiousmom
11-26-2013, 07:12 PM
I need help with a parole issue/problem. My son is a parole violator and is currently serving "backtime" on a drug charge and a receiving stolen property charge. He has been in jail for 3 years and has seen the board numerous times. He saw them in March and received his status sheet where he was told he made parole on the drug charge. He saw the board again in October and was told he made parole on the receiving stolen property charge and would be called back down in a few weeks to roll over to his new number and sign paperwork. He went down and signed paperwork. But his new green sheet came and his new charge is still listed as a detainer and he is still on the drug charge. He inquired by letter to the parole agent who told him that he was denied parole on the drug charge in March, even though he was paperwork that shows he made parole on that charge. They told him to file an Application for Board Review. First off, can they grant parole and then take it back? He has no discipline issues or write-ups. And why would the second parole visit tell him he would roll over if he didn't make parole on both charges? Where does he obtain the application for board review and where do you file it. He went to his counselor and they couldn't help him. They told him that records had to help him and he says he isn't allowed to talk to records and they ignore any written letters. Thanks for any help.

bobble60
12-01-2013, 08:17 AM
This is complicated ...

First, the Board can rescind parole right up to the moment he's off prison property. So, yes, they can "take it back."

I'm not sure they did that, though. you seem to describe a situation where he had an old case (drugs) and then a new case (RSP). He was recommitted as a CPV and ordered to serve some amount of "back time" before rolling over to the new sentence for RSP.

You say he was paroled to the RSP sentence and "rolled over" to a new DOC number. At that moment, he was placed on "constructive parole," because he was serving his parole while in custody. He was then granted parole on the RSP case and is now being told the old drug case has somehow turned into a detainer.

This may be a paperwork snafu that his Institution Parole Agent can resolve. He can also write the Board directly and attach copies of his two green sheets. he can send copies of the green sheets to the Records Office of his prison.

You can call the Board at 717-772-4343 and ask what happened. You can call his Institution Parole Agent by calling the prison.

ShanteM
12-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Hello everybody... I am looking for some information on Pennsylvania County parole (Chester County). My husband is currently serving a 10-23 month sentence. He has been incarcerated since September and we are expecting our 1st child in January so he is really trying to be home before or a little after the baby is born. So my question is, does anyone know or have an idea of how long he will actual serve? Will he have to serve the entire 10 months?

Ryblondie
12-19-2013, 01:56 PM
If he has good time, no write ups or misconducts he will have to do about 7 months.

ShanteM
12-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Thank u!

moetalk
01-30-2014, 10:22 PM
few questions: are SO's eligible for pre-release? also what are the odds of receiving parole at the minimum sentence for SO's? I realize that is supposed to be individual based, but my friend has heard that most serve at least 80% of their term before being granted parole. my friend was sentenced 4-18 yrs for charges stemming from accusations from a 14 yr old. He was charged with aggravated indecent assault (she initially accused him of having consentual sex, then once in court admitted they did not have sex), also charged with possession of child porn (the GIRL had sent HIM naked pics). It was a he said/she said case with no physical evidence...he was offered a plea, reducing it to "corruption of a minor" with no prison time and no Megans Law, but he chose to go to trial, and was hung by a jury. Had he known all the aftermath he would have taken the plea in a heartbeat, but at the time he was fighting for his life and reputation (he is a physical therapist). He is really struggling and any encouragement would help on statistics with parole. (he has no prior record and im sure will be on good behavior throughout). thank u in advance for any input

christik999
01-31-2014, 05:13 AM
Ok there is no pre release anymore.and any sentence reduction programs like rrri or boot camp etc. Sex offender are not eligible .most sex offender cases are one persons testimony and most are won they needed no evidence.did he have a lawyer? Bc I'm suprised he was shocked by this.our lawyer told us there is no way to win no matter what.take a plea and try to go on with your life.if he was worried about his career a pleawith no registry would have been it.my husband was parole at his minimum which was 50% of his sentence.but we were told by the prison it's rare to get out 1 st try.he will do Atleast 4 years.to the day.your minimum isn't 50% so I'm unsure of your odds at getting out 1st try.

christik999
01-31-2014, 05:22 AM
Oh and side note if a 14 yr old takes a pic naked and sends it to another 14 year old.the receiver can be charged with possession of child porn . And they really want to push it the taker can be charged with. Manufacturing child porn. And both can be registered sex offenders for life. So just bc she took them and sent them means nothing to the law as the laws written he would be guilty

moetalk
01-31-2014, 06:52 AM
He did have a lawyer and he told him it was no guarantee to win case but didnt press the NEED to just take the plea cuz there was no chance he could win. Even after trial was over and we waited for the jury decision, we were SURE his trial went well....didnt matter.. U go in there guilty until proven innocent beyond reasonable doubt, not the other way around :(. Thanx for ur input. Glad ur hubby was out on 1st attempt, thats encouraging.

moetalk
02-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Im having trouble making a new post under chat so im gonna try to post a question here. Anyone have input on making parole at the minimum sentence? Is there any truth to serving 80-85% of sentence as an "unwritten rule", or does it truly seem to be based on individual circumstances? Any input from those that have been paroled would help!

bobble60
02-09-2014, 06:54 AM
The 85% thing goes back to the federal Truth In Sentencing grant program, under which states must certify that inmates serving sentence for Part I offenses serve at least 85% of the sentence imposed.
The FBI Part I offenses are the nine worst crimes: murder, armed robbery, rape, etc.
PA complies with this rule because everyone serves at least 85% of their minimum sentence. In fact, they serve at least 100% of it. The max never comes into the equation.

Now, sex offenders have a harder time making parole for many reasons, but plenty of them have been paroled at their minimum dates. Some have been maxed out. It all comes down to how much time the Board thinks the individual should do. I know that's unfair ... like being re-sentenced by the Board ... but it has stood up in court all the way to the US Supreme Court. All each individual can do is complete programs, stay out of trouble, and develop a good re-entry plan. The rest is up to the Board.

moetalk
02-11-2014, 06:33 AM
Thank you so much for replying. Much relieved and very much appreciated

moetalk
02-11-2014, 07:09 AM
Another question: If u choose to go for an appeal.. Does this hurt your chances at making parole? (given that part of the decision is based on showing remorse)

christik999
02-12-2014, 12:55 AM
To complete the sex offender programs on the inside he will have to admit guilt and take responsibility for his crimes repeatedly . If he chooses to maintain his innocence he will most likely max out on his sentence and never make parole. The appeal I'm not sure of.not to bring you down but you relise how super low chances a appeal will win in in any case?let alone a sex offender case where no proof is needed.and his assault charge covers many many things.he could have touched her gloved hand and if they think he did it bc he was sexually attracted to her it's assault.lol not that I have heard of that but wouldn't surprise me.he from what you have said was talking to her in a sexually way.if he was also meeting with her I can't see this appeal winning.read more about the laws they are broad and far reaching.you can't prove you had no contact with someone you have had innocent contact with we have btdt

ChestersciBro
04-06-2014, 10:02 AM
How is release planned by parole board? Is someone scheduled to pick loved on up? I don't now how PA works.:hmm:

waiting4sept
04-06-2014, 04:39 PM
We are in the release process right now. I was told as soon as the paperwork comes back that his home plan is approved and his urine test is good they will process him out in 3-4 days. They told me he can call and they will call me to tell me the date. I talked to the guards today, they said to go up to the door with my ID, tell them I'm there to pick him up, fill out the paperwork, and wait for him.

sjones59
04-07-2014, 06:04 AM
We picked our son up but his brother was going to if we couldn't. They didn't ask us for any ID. We went to the same place we did when we signed in to visit him. Took about 15 mins and he came out with all his possessions. He called us with the date as soon as he got his green sheet. He was at Houtzdale. Its been almost 8 months and he's doing well. I'm one happy Mama!!

tjames16
04-14-2014, 10:00 AM
I was told that inmates are not allowed to parole to households that have a dog does anyone know if this is true or not?

christik999
04-14-2014, 12:16 PM
I have heard this too but im unsure . my husbands home plan has a dog but its a beagle and outside most times but I know it wasn't even a question asked .I really don't think its a factor but when they come to check the house if you have a huge dog that's trying to attack them when they knock on the door im sure that's not favorable lol

bobble60
04-20-2014, 04:56 AM
Like anything else, the agent has discretion. Their concern about a dog is that the dog could pose a threat to the agent, either during a routine visit or if they come to apprehend the parolee for a violation. A beagle? Well, Snoopy wasn't a threat to anyone but the Red Baron.

Marielsabela
05-26-2014, 08:34 PM
My husband received a decision of granted parole Friday of last week. His parole agent is submitting a request for an out-of-state transfer of parole. He is past his early release date and all requirements for parole have been met, with the exception of a urine test. SCI Mercer will not house him until the parole transfer has been processed, so they have put him on a waiting list for a CCC in PA. He will be released as soon as his home plan is approved or a bed becomes available in a CCC, whichever comes first. My understanding is that it can take two weeks or more for a bed to become available in a halfway house as they are all at maximum capacity with large waiting lists. My hopes are that the urine test results and the home plan approval come through before a bed opens in the CCC. I am pretty positive that the parole transfer will be approved, as he was a resident of WV when he committed his offenses and he will be living with me and our two children. Is it likely that a CCC bed will become available before the home plan is approved and how long can I expect to wait for the results of the urine test? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

christik999
05-31-2014, 07:34 PM
My husband received a decision of granted parole Friday of last week. His parole agent is submitting a request for an out-of-state transfer of parole. He is past his early release date and all requirements for parole have been met, with the exception of a urine test. SCI Mercer will not house him until the parole transfer has been processed, so they have put him on a waiting list for a CCC in PA. He will be released as soon as his home plan is approved or a bed becomes available in a CCC, whichever comes first. My understanding is that it can take two weeks or more for a bed to become available in a halfway house as they are all at maximum capacity with large waiting lists. My hopes are that the urine test results and the home plan approval come through before a bed opens in the CCC. I am pretty positive that the parole transfer will be approved, as he was a resident of WV when he committed his offenses and he will be living with me and our two children. Is it likely that a CCC bed will become available before the home plan is approved and how long can I expect to wait for the results of the urine test? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

i haver no idea the ccc bed time wait. but the urine test doesn't take long to comwe back but its only good xx days so more then likely they are waiting to test him so they dont have to retest him if it takes long. i also am unsure of the transfer process how long it can possible take , they will have to agree to take him at their state parole etc. im sure its a bunch of paperwork back and forth. then that states parole will have to id think? approve your home plan visit your house etc . send that back too before he would be released . ..... he might get a ccc bed 1st?

Wolf9785
06-24-2014, 10:04 AM
My son's minimum is in Nov and goes before parole in July. He has no writeups and has always worked and completed all programs and pre-parole thinks he should get out. ( I know nothing's in stone) He told me it would help for the familyto write letters to the parole board and I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction as far as a mailing address. He's in Mercer (drug crimes) and said he thought the address would be in Harrisburg. Any help would be appreciated.

christik999
06-24-2014, 02:33 PM
My son's minimum is in Nov and goes before parole in July. He has no writeups and has always worked and completed all programs and pre-parole thinks he should get out. ( I know nothing's in stone) He told me it would help for the familyto write letters to the parole board and I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction as far as a mailing address. He's in Mercer (drug crimes) and said he thought the address would be in Harrisburg. Any help would be appreciated.
this is what i can find on the parole boards web site im sure you can get a address there . call a number. but im unsure weather letters are to be mailed to the board direct or mailed to the inmate or his councelor at the prison ??? you better check 1st. i thought you mailed them to the prison somehow not to the board .

For specific inmate inquiries from attorneys, family members, friends and the general public, please call the Inmate Inquiry Unit at: 717.772.4343.

The general information number for the Board is 717.787.5699.

For media inquiries, please call the Communications Office at 717.231.4411.

To contact Human Resources, please call 717.787.8148.

For inquiries from elected officials and other government agencies, please call the Policy and Legislative Affairs Office at 717.787.6208.

bobble60
06-29-2014, 04:48 AM
Address your letter to the Pa. Board of Probation & Parole at SCI Mercer. Reference his inmate ID number. It will be routed to his Institutional Parole Agent who will place it in his file. Send your son a copy (or two) so that he can carry them to the interview.

angienighan
08-18-2014, 02:21 PM
My bf got picked up in july on a tech parole violation, right now he's awaiting his green sheet. It was a first violation for failure to report change of address, but for 2 years! His original max date was supposed to be this dec 20 the. Does anyone know what happens next or what kind of time he will have to sit?