View Full Version : Fci Coleman Med

chelotorres
07-21-2003, 02:17 PM
HAS ANYONE EVER VISITED FCI COLEMAN MED IN FLORIDA i WOULD LIKE SOME DETAILS PLEASE THANKS.

bella
07-21-2003, 04:02 PM
There is a member named Escamillo. His son is there. I'm sure he will be able to answer your questions.

Lysbeth
07-21-2003, 05:38 PM
Hi Chelo,

Since you had some specific visitation questions for FCI Coleman, I have moved this thread to the Federal forum on PTO so your post will have the opportunity to get more specific responses and the best answers to your questions... I’ve found they often get more and better answers there, AND the information will be here to help others in the future, too. :)

You also might want to thumb thru the Federal or the Florida forums to see if some of your questions have already been answered in the past... the direct link to the Federal forum is here:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=186

... and the link to the Florida forum is here:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=128

Hope you find the info you're looking for and good luck! :)

Lys

David
07-21-2003, 05:45 PM
I have a friend at FCI Coleman Medium. I don't know a lot about it but I can look into it if you have some specific questions for me to ask.

I may be wrong, but I believe Escamillo's son is at the Low?

TAZI
07-21-2003, 07:21 PM
Cheletorres: I have visited FCI Coleman, what kind of info do you want to know/ask. You have to sit in specified sections, and you have to beat the Miami Bus Transport if you plan to get in early...vending machines are so so....they can walk with you . etc.: confused? TAZI

escamillo
07-22-2003, 12:52 AM
My son is in FCC Coleman Low, just in front of the Medium facility. I guess that some of the rules may be different, but I can tell you details about visitation in the Low which is pretty satisfactory. Coleman is in the middle of nothing and you have to get a car, otherwise taxi cabs charge $ 15.00 for the one-way trip from/to Leesburg FL which is the closest town, OR if you come from Miami, there is a bus which runs only on weekends, it is called RR Transports (for Rough-Rough) and their phone is (305) 256-5944

The Medium seems to be very similar to the Low, same enormous sports fields and a lot of space to walk, run and do aerobics. My son calls it "..this resort". Everything clean, everybody respectful, and no important problems.

Un abrazo,
Andrés

escamillo
07-22-2003, 01:08 AM
You can see a short description and a photo in my post here: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6547&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

chelotorres
07-23-2003, 02:19 PM
WHAT TIME DOES THAT MIAMI BUS USUALLY GET THERE IN THE MORNING AND DOES IT ONLY GO THERE ON THE WEEKENDS?
aLSO ABOUT WHAT TIME SHOULD i PLAN ON GETTING THERE TO BEAT THE CROWD? hOW MUCH MONEY SHOULD i TAKE IN FOR FOOD, AND ARE THEY VERY STRICT THERE? i ACTUALLY HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONS. WHAT IS THE DRESS CODE LIKE? cAN i GO THE ENTIRE 5 DAYS OF A WEEK?

escamillo
07-24-2003, 02:39 AM
Visiting schedule as of August 2000 for FCI Coleman Medium:
Mon, Thu,Fri,Sat,Sun : 8:15 AM to 3:15 PM
Tue, Wed: no visitation
Inmates receive points the first day of each month, and points will be deducted for weekend visits only (no points deducted on Mon, Thu, Fri)
Front Lobby Phone: (352) 330-3200

I've seen the RR Transports bus early in the morning but not before 8 AM, and the crowd concentrates a little earlier, some from 5 AM. However, the procedures are slow and you'll never get in before 9:15, especially on weekends. The bus departs at the end of visit time, about 3:50 PM. Check with them at (305) 256 5944 for departure from Miami.

When I went to visit my son in the Low (just in front of the Medium) I stayed at a motel in Leesburg for $45/night, a steal, but if you stay in Orlando the bus will charge 11.00 one-way Orlando-Leesburg and then the taxi. Because of some vision problems I did not rent a car, and had to use taxi Cabs (A-1 TAXI,748-4099). They charge 15.00 one-way. Be aware that the lady who answers the phone speaks fast and says that she understood perfectly, and sends the driver to
somewhere else.

Money allowed in the Low is up to 25 in 5$ or 1$ bills and coins, in a transparent purse, if it is not transparent you have to empty the purse at the check point. Vending machines are well supplied and pretty expensive.

You should dress as you would in the XIX century. The most discrete and good-quality-looking dressing will inspire the most respect. Avoid all metallic accesories which will make you pass many times thru the check point, for amusement of the guards ind irritation of everybody else in the row.

You can't introduce gifts of any kind, no papers, no pens, no photos, you can't give him anything otherwise you'll jeopardize the visit and put him in risk of a disciplinary report. Cigarettes for consumption at the visit room were allowed until January 1st 2003, but are now banned.

You can visit all labor days 8:15 to 3:15 with no restriction, but please check with them to be sure they didn't change the rules.

For anybody else interested: these specs are taken from a booklet given to me by my son's defender, it is "Federal Institutions Southeast Region / Florida Southern U.S. Petrial Services / Leadership Development Project 2000", unfortunately it does not include any note about the origin of the survey, but it seems to be official. It covers about 20 federal prisons from Alabama to Puerto Rico.

If you have any other questions plese tell me.
Un abrazo,
Andrés

Bettye
02-04-2004, 05:38 PM
HAS ANYONE EVER VISITED FCI COLEMAN MED IN FLORIDA i WOULD LIKE SOME DETAILS PLEASE THANKS.
Hi Chelo,
From reading another post from you, I understand that you did go to visit at
Coleman medium. How was your experience? How is your relative doing at Coleman? Is he still there? I will be grateful for anything you can tell me. My son is due to report at Coleman medium on March 3rd and I have a lot of questions.
Thanks in advance for your input.