View Full Version : Indeterminate sentence YOA program - how much time will he serve?

June Baby
05-20-2006, 09:19 PM
My boyfriend just got sent to Kirkland R&E 5/11. He violated probation because he was not attending his sex offender classes. They put him on a 1-3yr. YOA. THey say his sentence is indeterminate. It all depends on his behavior. Does anybody know about how much time he will have to serve. Im really am trying to find out. We have a baby due on June 8.

Marilyn St.
05-21-2006, 12:47 PM
I can't tell you about the length of time. The wheels move slow. My brother was sent to prison in September. He was eligible for parole in March. He did not get a hearing until May 16. Parole was granted, but he is not home yet. It takes a while to work out all the details.

I am writing some other helpful info for you. I am afraid it will be a while, and you may need to know about visitation etc.

He will need to get you an application for both visitation and telephone priveleges. You will then complete them and send them to the appropriate location. They will investigate you, and make a determination of your "suitability" for each.

There are certain requirements. For the visitation, they ask about past employment with the SCDC, relationships to employees, your criminal history etc. For the phone, you have to send a copy of your current phone bill. Your account must be up to date. They will only let the phone calls go to a land line. You cannot use cordless phones, call forwarding features etc.

It took several months for the process to occur. I was in the process of moving, and they approved my old number even though I had both on the form. I had to send a whole new phone application. Luckily, I had photocopied the form before I mailed it the first time.

Each memeber of your family who is interested in visitiation will have to complete a visitor form. There are very strict visitor rules. I think they may vary slightly from facility to facility, so I will not speak to that since I only know about McCormick.

Good luck to you. I am glad you found us. When my brother was incarcerated I grieved terribly. This group helped me tremendously.

Marilyn St.

PS Money may be sent to your mate in care of the "Cooper Trust Fund". You can go on line and download a copy of the deposit slip. Postal money orders are the method I had to use. The food is usually pretty bad in most of the prisons, and this will allow them to purchase from the canteen.

Also, twice a year they usually allow them to receive a package thru Access Securepack. They are allowed $100 in food, and limited quantities of socks, underwear, Tshirts, towels, washcloths and in the winter long johns. You just missed the deadline (I think) for the spring package. You can try: www.southcarolinapackages.com (http://www.southcarolinapackages.com/) (I think is the website)

Good luck!

ksykes250
05-21-2006, 05:39 PM
if he has an indeterminate sentence and he is in the YOA program he will probably do 10months to a year but that sentence does not start until he is transfered to the prison he will do his time at....just like Marilyn St said get the paperwork for visitation and phone calls now so once he is transfered you want have to do that part and depending on where he is going and doing the YOA program you will have to wait about 3months before you will get that first visit because they do through phases in the YOA program....my boyfriend was in the YOA program at Turbeville so if you need any more questions answered you can leave a note or PM me...hope that help you out a little bit

tjp241
10-24-2010, 08:00 PM
my son just agreed & plea a deal of 10months on a yoa, but his thing on the web site say indeteminate. whats that mean? its does say it starting on the day they took him. im new to this he's never been in trouble before. my son is also only 21. his lawyer said he would be with youths 25 & under that are non voilent. does anyone know where he might go?

BeachMom
10-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Indeterminate means he will go to the YOA camp for his ten month sentence (which begins upon his arrival at the camp). If he does not make it through the camp he will either finish his original sentence (up to 5 years) or be held back to complete the camp, depending on his infraction. Best case is ten month, worse case is 5 years, thus the indeterminate. He will also be on probation once he completes the camp. YOA is held at three prisons, Turbeville, Wateree and one other which I'm not sure. The SCDC website might say.

My son will go to the camp in March. He is currently finishing up another sentence at a Level II prison. He is 21 also.

On the SCDC website it outlines exactly what they go through on the camp.

arseasbbygirl
06-20-2011, 10:28 PM
if he has an indeterminate sentence and he is in the YOA program he will probably do 10months to a year but that sentence does not start until he is transfered to the prison he will do his time at....just like Marilyn St said get the paperwork for visitation and phone calls now so once he is transfered you want have to do that part and depending on where he is going and doing the YOA program you will have to wait about 3months before you will get that first visit because they do through phases in the YOA program....my boyfriend was in the YOA program at Turbeville so if you need any more questions answered you can leave a note or PM me...hope that help you out a little bit
Hey girl..you prolly don't get on here anymore but I was wondering if your man got out in 10 months..cause mine is there now, in turbeville, and I am so confused :(

ksykes250
06-22-2011, 08:59 PM
He had to do the whole 10 months but as I stated previous you will probably have to wait at least 3 months before you can see him so make sure you have all the paperwork in so when it is time you can just go and see him. The paperwork is a process and takes awhile to go through. Hopes this helps and if you need anything else just let me know. I am here to talk or listen because I know how you are feeling. I get all message alert thru an email and they come to my phone so I can respond quickly.

Hey girl..you prolly don't get on here anymore but I was wondering if your man got out in 10 months..cause mine is there now, in turbeville, and I am so confused :(

BeachMom
06-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Yes, usually visits start after the first 90 days.

A word of caution: Turbeville is not an easy place to visit. Wear loose pants and a loose shirt. Do not wear any jewelry other than one ring and one pair of small earrings. No writing on your shirt, no see through shirts (stay away from white). Also, I guarantee if you give them any attitude the guards will send you away. The female guards that work the front area are tough. Any sign of you complaining when you are standing in line..and they catch wind of it...they will think of anything to deny you access in. Kill them with kindness, be very polite and you will be fine.

I speak from experience.... :(

K