View Full Version : Parole Jacket Screening

Jade01
05-18-2006, 07:29 PM
What determines whether an inmate goes in front of the parole board in person or whether their jacket goes up in front of the parole board? Can someone still go up and talk for an inmate if only their jacket goes up and they do not go up before the parole board? Is it usually good or bad if someone's jacket goes up and not them? Also, my last question is, who do you write support letters to?

karen3693
05-18-2006, 09:27 PM
I wish I knew the answer to these questions.My sons jacket goes up the 24 of this month.This is what I was told.Non violent offenders dont go in person.They are having parole hearing at Varner May 23 and jackets go on the 24.I was also told there was a 800 # I could call and find out if he was approved before he is notified.I still dont understand alot of this.My son has been at his parent unit since March 6 and they had him fill out his home plan on March 20.They told him his jacket would go up May 24.His PE /TE date is 8/01/06.He told me last week that some of the others he is in with their Pe/Te dates are before his and the havent fill out a home plan yet non of them go before the board until 30 days before their date.Your quess is as good as mine.

Jade01
05-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Seems like we're in a similar situation, except my fiance's jacket doesn't go up until July, but he has been notified that it is going up and they've asked him to go ahead and fill out a home plan. If you could keep me updated with any new information that would be great because I feel a little confused about everything, hopeful, but confused.

karen3693
05-19-2006, 09:16 AM
I thought about that all night.I called the parole office this am, I was passed around alot but this is the answer I recieved.If they have already been before the parole and there was programs they were suppose to complete then their jacket goes once they complete their programs.As far as I know my son has not been before the board just a counselor.I just realized the 24 is this coming week.My mother lives with me she has alzithmers and she has been on a roll for about 2 weeks now so time really slips by me fast.Also the March EPA expires May 27 and they will vote on a new EPA around the first of June.For all other questions I was refered to the unit Parole officer who is out until 2pm today.

Jade01
05-19-2006, 05:10 PM
My fiance has not been before the parole board either, so I don't think the person you talked to understood what you were asking. Hopefully the other person will.

karen3693
05-19-2006, 11:20 PM
I was unable to get in touch with the PO at his unit today.I work 1 day a week at a Diner in town and the owner will give anyone a chance.At this time we have 3 working there that are parolees.2 got out a year ago and 1 2 weeks ago.The 1 that got out 2 weeks ago said if it their first time in their jackets go up that they dont have to go in person.I will find out the true answer to this question.

Jade01
05-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks for keeping on with trying to find out information about this karen. I feel reassured knowing someone else is going through the exact same thing. I am going to try to find out more info later this week when I get some time and I will definitely update you with anything I find out.

karen3693
05-21-2006, 07:51 PM
I went to visit my son yesterday.I was talking to him about and he said it was because this is his first time down.I will keep you posted.

butchies_girl
05-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Yes its true first time down no visit to parole board just the jacket

Jade01
05-22-2006, 09:51 AM
But this isn't my fiance's first time down - that's what confuses me.

butchies_girl
05-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Hunts then HE goes before the parole board

karen3693
05-22-2006, 12:51 PM
I just spoke with the PO at Varner.She told me it depends on what his crime was and if the board cant make a decison from just his jacket then he will go before the full board next month.He will know by MAY 30 if he has been approved or not.I am so ready for this to be over.I really need his help at home.

Jade01
05-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Hunts then HE goes before the parole board

They've sent him a letter stating that he DOESN"T go before the parole board, just his jacket, that's why I'm confused b/c this isn't his first time to be locked up.

butchies_girl
05-22-2006, 07:31 PM
ok so i was told bad info again sorry

Jade01
05-22-2006, 09:53 PM
ok so i was told bad info again sorry

No prob, it happens.

Jade01
05-22-2006, 09:56 PM
One of my fiance's family members called the unit parole officer, and from what it sounds like, only his jacket going up is a really good sign.

karen3693
05-22-2006, 10:30 PM
I have found that you ask the same question to 3 different people and get 3 differant answers.I hope just my sons jacket going up is good thing.But I am still puzzled as to why his jacket is going up 3 months in advance.He told me Sat that some of the other who have release dates before him have not even filled out parole plans yet.The other that were filling out parole plans when he did had release dates before his.

karen3693
05-27-2006, 07:33 PM
From what I could understand from the board meeting Thurs not very many were approved.They had already voted on the jackets that went up weds.I called yesterday and was told his plan has been recieved but not approved yet.I am hoping that the results just havent been put in the computer yet.They said in the board meeting that the county back log was at 541 and they would vote on another EPA in June.I found the meeting interesting.

butchies_girl
05-28-2006, 08:24 PM
YAY june means my hubby may come home soon then

karen3693
05-28-2006, 09:22 PM
I was hoping that my sons plan would be approved then he would be in on the June EPA.The ones that already have a approved parole plan are the ones released first on a EPA.He was moved to a different barricks Fri.This is the 3rd barricks he has been in he doesnt like it at all.

Tuffmom19
05-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Karen3693...did you go to this meeting...tell me how and when...my brother was approved Thursday, but his hearing before the board is not until July 12...how long after that or what happens after that...we (the family) were told we can be at the meeting and he can have has many supporters as he wants. Please any info will help this is all so confusing. Thank you!! And God Bless All Who have loved ones in ADC.

karen3693
05-29-2006, 06:59 PM
The full board meets the last Thurs of every month.It is open to the public.They go over the min from the last meeting and the #s from the prisons.Afterwards you can introduce yourself to the board members that dont rush out of the room.This meeting is just a bunch of stuff to keep the public informed as to what is happening.Like there are 1400 inmates whos parole plans have been approved but they remain in prison because they have nowhere to go.The meeting was in Little Rock at 105 west capital.It took about 1 hour.There are groups that are for criminal justice system reform that attend these meetings every month.There is one that is trying to get the cost of phone calls from the Ar prisons reduced.Ar has the 2nd highest rate for phone calls in the US.The meeting like I said was a bunch of offical stuff for the public.

ittybittykitty
06-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Karen, You talked about a group trying to get phones calls reduced for Ar inmates and families at the last board meeting....did they have much input on what was going on with that? We get ripped off with every call we make it seems.But I guess I should be Thankful I have a chance to talk to him during the week:) Let me know more about these folk...I know I saw somewhere that some group had a rally in Little Rock last year over the high prices of our calls. I wish we could find a way to get a reduction of some kind.Kitty

pat0912
08-02-2006, 09:40 AM
How did all the parole hearings go? Anyone's loved one coming home?
Pat

butchies_girl
08-02-2006, 10:02 AM
mines going before the board in about 2 weeks

Tuffmom19
08-02-2006, 12:14 PM
My brother went before the board on July 12, and the results were suppose to be released on July 31, when we called, they told us it would be Aug. 1st, so then I called, and was told they passed him over for two weeks because there needed to 5 board members votes, and for some reason a fifth voted didn't count or wasn't there. But when I called Parole services at my brother's institution she said she had something totally different, but declined to tell me what it was. Now, we have to wait until Aug. 22 to find out if he is approved.

butchies_girl
08-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Tuff i dont think whole board has met yet opps my bad they did already.