View Full Version : question on this kind of a hearing

HurtingMomInMI
05-10-2006, 08:22 PM
if someone is in segregation, and has a hearing, are they allowed to have an attorney present during a hearing in a prison? or a court appointed one? i am so clueless on these things and how that operates...i just want to know if there is something that can be done regarding the prisoners welfare (or side) in something like this............thank you so much for any help or explanations..

katybear
05-12-2006, 06:30 PM
My understanding is that they are not allowed to have an attorney unless they are facing criminal charges. Internal misconduct hearings do not allow the prisoner to have representation.

HurtingMomInMI
05-12-2006, 10:43 PM
thank you, katy bear....i wasn't sure on how it worked. my son was out in the yard when he was called to his cell, where a guard is showing him 2 shanks and a hyperdermic syringe found in his "area to be secured" (i had to learn what all that meant, and it was absurb), he's out in the yard, and/or having a visit, how does he keep his "area secured?"......he won't snitch on who he suspects done it, and i don't want him to, because i know it will be him dead man walking......and he's pretty upset about it because it will probley effect his parole when the time comes, and he just wanted to get through this ordeal without any problems, and next month he would have been eligable to put in for a level one.......(the things i'm learning about life in prison)....i'm starting to notice a change in my personality, like i'm getting bitter or hardened or something, and i don't like it, my husband noticed it too, like i talk sometimes using prison slang, and i sorta sound tough, even to myself, it just comes out...has anyone else noticed getting like that?

+4thefuture
05-28-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm late reading this, but it seems like they tossed his space and found the shanks and needle. Seems to me if this is indeed what they did, they had those plastic gloves on so they should be able to get prints off said items and go after whosesoever prints are on it. Its not like they don't have access to all the inmates and co's fingerprints. To me, they should go that route because the co's know what happens to snitches. Also I can't figure why he can't have an attorney, we're talkin more time for this man or something more drastic. Now they can railroad him and he won't have a pot/window.

And as far as prison slang; yes, I use it out here. I didn't know that I was using prison slang until a parent of one of my students said you must have been in prison or know some one who was/is. Boy did I blush!!!!! He then said, I know it wasn't you because you wouldn't be allowed to work in a school so it must be someone you are familiar with. Darn if he was'nt right.

HOPE4FUTURE
05-28-2006, 01:07 PM
There is really no way to secure their area if he is in a cell that he shares with another inmate or more. Most have keys to their room and lock it when they leave but that doesnt really stop his bunkie and possibly his bunkies people from having contraband in the cell. Is he still in seg and what happened at the hearing? And also they do not take prints and all that for something like this, someone would have to be killed before they went to all that bother.

MicheleCJr
05-28-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't speak with my son much so I don't believe that I pick up the slang. Besides I am the Mom and for some reason he "tries" not to talk to me in slang.......he knows I just won't get it LOL The most I know is; riding out, write, kite, flop....that's the extent of it.