View Full Version : Parole Question - How much power does a Parole Officer have in California?

bellamy10
05-08-2006, 06:30 PM
I recently paroled a few months months ago. The problem is that my current parole officer seems as though he's out to get me. He told me that he would always call before he comes to my residence which at first he did. But now he just stops by without notifying me. He then interrogates and accuses me of having drugs and weapons in a threatening manner. I tell him I don't and he just keeps accusing me. He then procedes to toss my room looking for them in recent visits. After not finding anything he just storms out. And now just recently he's demanding that I give him a copy of the keys to my house. That it's their policy. Am I obligated to give him a copy of my keys? What happens if I don't? How would I go about filing a complaint if I feel my parole officer is going too far? All feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Gryphon
05-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I've never heard that a parolee had the obligation to turn over keys. The question is whether that's a constitutional violation of privacy. I've never seen the issue come up before. For liability reasons, If I were the PO's boss I wouldn't want him to have the keys. Perhaps a letter to a supervising officer at the Department of Parole politely asking about the policy re keys would help make that problem go away.
A PO need not call ahead. Failure to do so isn't harrassment. Regular searches won't be harrass,mnet unless it's just rediculous.
PO's are stretched then and overworked; and you are getting a lot of attention. I strongly suspect someone snitched on you and tried to get you in trouble. Anyone cranky with you right now? You'd best act like you are thin ice, because it sounds like that's the indeed the situation. You are describing a PO who thought he had reliable info that you were in violation; and he was surprised to find out you weren't.

Hope2BaRn
05-11-2006, 02:53 AM
I agree with the post above. When my brother was on parole his PO came to the house without notice, which was alright. The he usually knocked then once they raided the house. My brother woke up to a parole officer in the hall way of the house. They were looking for something anything, but didn't find anything. My brother was told that they have the right to come to your home without notice, police have the right to search you at any time for any reason, and in his case they have the right to search anyone that is with you as well (why I don't know). They also have the right when searching your residence to search any other room in the home as long as it is not locked. Well these conditions applyed to my brother I don't know about your situation so I think you should look into it.
Best of luck !!! :)

kristinam79
05-12-2006, 05:07 PM
I never heard of having to give them a key to the house, but my hubby did have to give them a key to our gate since it was a gated community. But the agent would always call when he is outside. He would always come around 530 am, he was actually a nice PO , never gave us any problems....

whatregion are you in? i am meeting with my hubbys on monday morning so I want to be sure its not a parole agent out of the buena park office????

denverswife
05-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Hope: That's called a four way search clause. It gives law enforcement to search your brother, his room, any room he has access to (including someone elses house, if he's there) and his car or any car he rides in. It also gives them the right to search everyone with him, I believe. That's part of the price he has to pay for being on parole. I know it sucks, but it's better than having him stay loocked up.
As for the key issue, that doesn't sit right with me either, I might have to ask a supervisor about it.....

sparky951
05-28-2006, 10:41 AM
call his supervisor an file a 602 but u don't have to give it to the agent directly, u can send it to the region ur in. i've been on an off parole for over 25 yrs an never had them ask for a key. coming out at all hrs, thats normal, especially if they suspect something or if a call has been placed against u. i've had cops stop me with my pic, cuz the p.o. thought i was up to something. usually i was but they couldn't find it. i'd get caught when i'd get to confident an slipped. but, the key thing isn't right. if u don't file the 602 he'll continue to come at u with bs. but thats ur decision.

lanhamquinonez
06-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Hello everyone! My wife , LORD willing will be parole next feb. Her crime was grand theft, what kind of and if any type search would they conduct on my wife? first time offender, no prior and only had to do with money and not drugs or violence. Thank you for anybody who responds and GOD BLESS!