View Full Version : Michigan Marriages not Valid UNLESS....

queenwdg
05-08-2006, 06:00 PM
The marriage is consummated within 30 days of the marriage....

This is what my cousin who is a member of the clergy and licensed by the State of Michigan. She said that in the paperwork SHE received from the State in the 90's stated that unless a marriage was consummated within 30 days from the date of marriage that it would NOT be recognized by Michigan.

She said she was NOT 100% if the law is still in affect, but for me to do some research on it and let her know BEFORE she agreed to marry us. DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS. I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW I COULD BURST. HERE I AM ALL EXCITED ABOUT THIS AND SHE TELLS ME THIS!!!!!

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME OUT WITH THIS. THANKS:angry:

4ever2gether
05-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Well in my opinion, that's one of those sorts of laws that ranks right up there with it being illegal to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. I wouldn't worry about it. What . . are there police to go around to ensure that all newlywed couples consumate their marriage within the 30 days and they have to be an eyewitness . . . I think NOT.

All I have to say is RIDICULOUS. Marriage is the union of two souls . . . the joining of flesh should not be a requirement, especially within a set limit of time.

CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming marriage!! I hope all goes well and this possible "law" doesn't hinder anything for you.

mrsdragoness
05-08-2006, 07:18 PM
I answered this in the duplicate thread you started. Please remember in the future that duplicate threads are not necessary here on PTO.. I realize you were upset and worried.

To answer again......... I am also a licensed clergy here in Michigan and I have never heard of this law. I verified this with my licensing group and they have not heard of it either.

deb
05-08-2006, 07:34 PM
My friend, who's a Unitarian Universalist minister, married a PTO member and her loved one inside and she would have said something if there was any problem like this...

Deb

zhane
05-08-2006, 08:27 PM
I am not aware of any law that says the marriage had to be consummated within 30 days! Only thing I was ever told when I got our marriage license back from Kent County Clerks office in 01/2005, Was that they had to receive one of the copies back within 30 days of the date we married for the marriage to be consider legal. I also have some friends who'd been told this same thing and actually turned theirs in after the 30 days and they accepted it! So maybe she has something mixed up about it because that is the only 30 day period I've ever heard mentioned in reference to marriages in MI. We were married by the prison chaplain so I am sure he would have been aware of such law.

queenwdg
05-08-2006, 08:34 PM
When I got our marriage license back from Kent County Clerks office which was 01/2005 and they informed me this same thing that they had to receive one of the copies back within 30 days of the date we married and I have some friends who were told this same thing and actually turned theirs in after the 30 days and they accepted so call your local county clerk's office and they will be able to tell you everything you need to know about this.

Thanks everyone,

I am going to call my County Clerks office tomorrow and I will post what they told me. I just don't want any surprises.

Thank You for your well wishes, I am praying that everything works out for the best also. I would hate to be illegal:(

mrsdragoness
05-08-2006, 08:38 PM
If it were illegal, the prison chaplains would not be able to perform the ceremonies they do..

Zhane is right. By law the marriage certificate has to be filed within 30 days of the marriage ceremoney..maybe this is what your relative was thinking.

KarrieMI
05-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah I checked also and that is what it said that it needed to be solemized within 30 days and not comsumated within that time! I know that if you wanted that you could use that as far as grounds for an annulment with out needing the partners signature but I think that's really it!

KarrieMI

mrssunnyb
05-09-2006, 09:11 AM
That Was Probably One Of Those Laws On The Books From 1752. Its Worth Checking Into Though.

tinkr30
05-09-2006, 09:21 AM
It may be a law just for anulment purposes.

I mean really, what if one or both of the persons were not able to have any type of sexually realations. Would that mean that their marriage wouldn't be legal?

Denise

zhane
05-09-2006, 04:33 PM
It may be a law just for anulment purposes.

I mean really, what if one or both of the persons were not able to have any type of sexually realations. Would that mean that their marriage wouldn't be legal?
Denise

Me and my husband were married by a prison chaplain so it would mean our marriage isn't legal which I know isn't the case but alot of the marriages that are done within MDOC are done by the chaplains; thinking common sense wise for just a few moments...."Why would they allow the inmates to marry and have the cermonies at the facilities if they know that in most cases there's not going to be an opportunity to consumate within 30 days?" That just doesn't make sense at all...

mrsdragoness
05-09-2006, 04:53 PM
zhane is absoultely correct and allow me to repeat myself :) :D Marriages in Michigan do NOT have to be consummated to be legal.... There is nothing in MI law that states even such a thing.

Bobbys'Angel
05-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Well..I guess if that were the case, then I'm an illegal bride;) We were married last June by a local minister cuz the chaplain at Florence Crane don't perform weddings anymore. My drivers license, s.s. card, bank acct., mortgage loan, etc. is all in my married name SO..I'm really illegal!!!:D BUT, I did return our marriage license to the clerks office to be solemized within the 30 days. AND my husband did ask the C.O.s if we could have some privacy for about 30 minutes so we could consumate our marriage..:p..but they said "NO"..sorry"!:(
So if anyone is illegal, it's the darn C.O.s for not letting us consumate!!!:blah: (we tried) lol..
All joking aside...I think there must be a misunderstanding between solemize and consumate and I wish you both a happy life together. Best wishes on your wedding queenwdg:thumbsup: