View Full Version : Home inspection, greensheet, etc

PaGuyy
05-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Home inspection is Monday. What can I expect? I've heard no alcohal, neither of us has a drinking problem, but we will have company, somewhere, sometime, I'm sure. How strict are they? She will be out by July 4th, and I have a BBQ planned, is that a problem? If guests bring alcohal? Can she even be around it?
Weapons are not a problem, none here.
She already has her greensheet, no exit photo, no locked account, no urine test. Are we getting close? Is the date on the greensheet reliable? I've heard if it's a friday it mat be postponed untill monday. Any truth to that? I will have to plan ahead to take a day off to pick her up.
Does the home inspection mean that so far things are a go? That would almost go against everything I have read here. We are not married, and this involves interstate compact from NJ to PA. Can something finally be going right, or is this a nasty trick?

egs.... you've been a great help in the past. I hope you see this and can help again!

mrspoo
05-07-2006, 07:38 AM
[quote=PaGuyy]Home inspection is Monday. What can I expect? I've heard no alcohal, neither of us has a drinking problem, but we will have company, somewhere, sometime, I'm sure. How strict are they? She will be out by July 4th, and I have a BBQ planned, is that a problem? If guests bring alcohal? Can she even be around it?
Weapons are not a problem, none here.
She already has her greensheet, no exit photo, no locked account, no urine test. Are we getting close? Is the date on the greensheet reliable? I've heard if it's a friday it mat be postponed untill monday. Any truth to that? I will have to plan ahead to take a day off to pick her up.
Does the home inspection mean that so far things are a go? That would almost go against everything I have read here. We are not married, and this involves interstate compact from NJ to PA. Can something finally be going right, or is this a nasty trick?

Hi Paguyy,

Congrats on your loved one coming home! I assume that you are talking about coming home on ISP, maybe?
Well, my husband was on it a few years back, and yes, I had the home inspection. It was really not a terrible ordeal, the visit went smoothly.
The officer came to the apartment and looked around, and asked me a few questions, like;
who lived in the apartment with me,
did they work, or go to school, stuff like that.
Then he briefly explained the rules to me, and asked if I had any questions. Actually the visit was on a Sunday, and I was shocked that he would visit on that day. I do remember at the visit, that I had asked some of the same questions that you are asking now, and he told me that he could not answer them. He said his function was to do the inspection, and report the information.
Now, assuming that you are talking about ISP (again), we would have BBQ"S and company over all of the time. Naturally his family and close friends, had wanted to visit with him at home.
They would have drinks, but as long as he did not have any alcohol, it was okay.
Naturally there were no drugs involved.
As far as the dates being exact, well, no, they weren't. I think it was off, by one or two days. I had to meet him at the court house in another county.
Like I said, I assume that you are talking about ISP. If I am wrong, then I apologize for the mix-up.
Blessings to the both of you! :)

charlene

PaGuyy
05-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Actually I was talking about Parole. We were told ISP was not possible from NJ to PA, so she waited for parole. There is no court, I will pick her up directly from the prison.

Funny you mentioned they came out on a Sunday. I was just doing some housework, and noticed out the front window a car with two suits pull up in front of the neighbors yard across the street. They are not from this street, and turned around and drove off after a few minutes. Was that a pre-inspection?

So in other words, he will not answer any of my questions? I will only answer his? Somehow that doesn't seem fair. I would want to make sure nothing goes wrong, and that we both understand the rules.

egs
05-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Don't hold your breath for the parole date that is now documented although it sounds like things are moving along with a July parole date!!! There are one of several reasons an administrative hold could be placed on her parole date--most of it gets hung-up in paperwork between PA and NJ.

You can ask questions--what answers you get depends on the parole officer. I have never heard of anything called a "pre-inspection"--it is very unlikely that the two "suits" you saw had anything to do with your upcoming parole home inspection.

In NJ parolees cannot be released on the weekend. So yes, it's weekday releases only. She will have an exit photo and drug test and DNA sample taken within days of her anticipated parole release date. She will have to get other various sign-offs throughout the prison as well .

Here are the guidelines for the inspection [taken directly from PA Parole/Probation documents]
[I]WHAT HAPPENS ONCE A PLAN IS SENT OUT FOR INVESTIGATION?
The Parole Supervision Staff will visit with the proposed home provider, in person, at the residence being offered. The Parole Supervision Staff should provide the home provider with a Pre-parole Plan Investigation Brochure.
The Parole Supervision Staff will review the Home Provider Agreement Letter with the proposed home provider, and have the home provider sign the form.
The following information will be recorded on a checklist by the Parole Supervision Staff:
-That a business card was given to the home provider.
-That the general conditions of parole and possible special conditions for the offender were reviewed with the home provider.
-That the offender’s current and prior criminal record was reviewed. The instant offense will be disclosed to the proposed home provider.
-That the procedures for the offender changing his or her residence was explained.
-That the proposed home provider restrictions regarding possessing firearms and other weapons and implications for home suitability were explained.
-That the agency’s right to conduct warrantless searches of the approved residence was explained.
-That the home provider was informed of the location and hours of the field parole office.
-That the home provider was informed that staff may conduct visits to the residence outside of the normal business hours.
-That the home plan provider was informed of the Board’s policy statement on domestic violence and was given a copy of the Board’s Home Plan Brochure.
-That staff determined the availability of a telephone in the residence and noted in the summary any lack of telephone access due to special features or Internet access.
-That the possibility of electronic monitoring restrictions was reviewed with the home provider.
-That staff listed all residents, their age, relationship to the offender, any source of income and any criminal record, for each.
-That staff toured the entire proposed residence and determined:
-Any circumstances that would place the parole supervision staff in danger.
-The physical condition as far as habitability, including sleeping arrangements.
-Any sources of conflict that may preclude approving the residence.
-The number of exits.
-The responsibilities the home provider expects from the offender such as rent, room, board, rules, etc.
-Whether the home provider is renting or leasing the residence. If so, staff must obtain the landlord’s name, telephone number, and address and ask to see the lease.
-For rented and leased residences, whether the offender’s name is on the lease. If not, staff must inform the landlord of the proposed plan and the landlord must agree to add the offender to the lease for the residence to be approved. Discussion must be limited to public information.
-If the plan is being submitted for investigation without employment, there must be verification of the availability of other forms of financial support such as family support, Social Security or disability benefits.
It is very important for the home provider to make himself or herself available to meet with the parole agent. Unanswered phone calls and refusal to respond to business cards left in the door in a timely manner may result in unnecessary home plan rejections.

For more information about STATE PAROLE AND PAROLE RELEASE PLANS: WHAT INMATES & THEIR FAMILIES NEED TO KNOW, go to the PA Parole/Probation Website (http://www.pbpp.state.pa.us/pbpp/site/default.asp) and click on "Information Center" and then click on "The Release Plan". There is a lot of other useful info. on their website.

One important rule about PA parole that is a pain....a PA parolee cannot leave their county without parole officer's permission. So, if you live in Philadelphia, you are supposed to get permission to go to [for example], Montgomery Co. [or vice versa]. When my "ex-man" lived with me in Phila, the best way for him to get to work was to edge into Montgomery Co. for about 3/4's mile--and then go right back into Phila. Co.--technically he was supposed to get his PO's permission to do this!!! I know another guy who lived in Philly and had to quit a job because it was in Delaware Co. and the PO would not approve it.

NJ can specify parolee guidelines and mandates that must then be part of the parole plan.

PaGuyy
05-09-2006, 12:58 AM
Once again though, I find my own experience to be different from what I have read on here. The visit from parole was not unpleasant at all, and we talked openly. He stated his approval, but then it must go on through his supervisor to be final.
Many of the guidlines were never even covered, and I recieved no brochure, I signed nothing, altho I did recieve his card. However he did have a copy of my letter to the NJ parole board outlining our potential parole plan, with my signature on it.
There was no home inspection to speak of. The entire meeting took place in my livingroom, he saw no other area of the house. There was no mention of firearms, or warrentless searches. Alcohal was only mentioned as a possible stepping stone back to a previous drug conviction in PA (Her NJ conviction was not drug related) altho a D&A program was required. There was little mention of employment or means of support of either of us, altho he asked my employment status. Most of that had already been mentioned in my/our parole plan letter.
We discussed her first meeting with him, and going directly from the prison to her first state parole office visit. It is 30 minutes from the prison, and 90 minutes from my home. Then we must head back to Philly for her county probation meeting.
Funny part is, she must get permission to go into Philadelphia county, for both her probation(2 years) and also Family Court to regain custody of her children. He suggested moving both to Bucks County, one of the 4 counties she can travel in. That just sounds like a real Catch-22!
Are all these lapses in the guidlines an indication that she was not accepted, or did things go so well that they were not needed?
Her inter state parole progress started at the prison (Clinton, NJ), then to Trenton, then Harrisburg, then Allentown, then to my home. I know wherever else it goes, it must reach the prison again before she is released. Are we on schedule? How much longer from here?
To date, the timeframe for all this was 8 1/2 months in Philly (waiting to be moved to NJ) and 18 1/2 months in NJ on a 4 flat.
I visited her tonight with the news. She was very excited, but I'm as confused as ever. It seemed to go to easy.
I think the best news was a few months ago, when she got her parole date, and Family Court stopped the addoption proceeding on her children, and started visitation again. It was the first time in 15 months!

mrspoo
05-09-2006, 07:17 AM
HEY paguyy,
It looks to me as if things went well :thumbsup: If I were you I would try to calm down just a little. I know that it is really stressful right now, and you have so many questions, but, do yourself a favor, and "take it down a notch" (lol).
Glad to hear that your meeting went so well, and that the officer could answer questions that you may have had.

I know that she was glad to hear what you had to say, and please continue to keep us informed. I hope that all this 'drama" comes to a happy ending really soon! ;)

Charlene