View Full Version : Any way I can get a copy of a PSI ????

Moeshaforever99
05-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Hello Everyone,

Well Maurice asked his caseworker to send me a copy of his PSI and she said that she was not able to send it.:blah:

Does anyone know where I could locate this?:idea:

Who can I call etc..

Thanks
Shay:)

TxRhino
05-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Unless you can get a copy from your guys atorney, you may be out of luck . Even the Inmates copy is kept under lock and key inside less prying eyes gain access to it.

Keep the Faith

Michael :thumbsup:

Moeshaforever99
05-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks Michael.. It's been over 8 years and he still has 3 1/2 left ( worse case ) so I was trying to get it, I guess I'll wait till he comes home.

MandyMeMe
05-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Our lawyer helped me with that one. Do you know who his lawyer was back then? It wouldn't hurt to try to contact them. Good Luck

Federal PO
05-04-2006, 10:36 PM
You'll have a really tough time getting the PSI. First, it is the property of the Court. The BOP is given a copy for case management and planning, but is not allowed to redisclose it to anyone. The AUSA has a copy, but that is their copy for official use, and they're not going to redisclose it to the defendant. The defense attorney gets a copy, and that's probably your best bet, though if the Court found out that a defense attorney was distributing a PSI, there would probably be some consequences there. The probation office keeps copies for their records, but we can only disclose them with permission of the Judge. THe PSI getting out is a big deal, and when the BOP was giving copies to agencies like the FBI and INS a few years ago, there was a big stink, with some people coming very close to losing their jobs at the BOP over that.

SCMom
05-05-2006, 11:28 AM
I kept every copy the lawyer sent my son on his case. The camp is now trying to make him pay the court assessment charge......thank goodness that I have a copy of the receipt!
This is a suggestion to all of you out there......keep every copy you get!
Have a good day!

bellisq
05-05-2006, 11:43 AM
really good advice

Zelda50
05-05-2006, 07:48 PM
My husband was sentenced 24 years ago and we've tried every which way to get a copy of his federal PSI, without success. Still waiting on a FOIA response from the parole commission to send a copy to his attorney. I guess we should contact one of Bush's administration who are so good at leaks... Z.

Federal PO
05-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Zelda,

PSI's are exempt from FOIA inquiries. I don't expect you'll have much luck with your request.

If your attorney is needing a copy for appeal purposes, he should submit a motion to the sentencing court saying that one is neccesary for appeal purposes. The Judge should order a copy to be disclosed to him.

BabyBooWV
05-05-2006, 11:55 PM
This may seem like a dumb question.........What is a PSI?

Federal PO
05-06-2006, 07:50 AM
PSI = Presentence Investigation

It's a report for the Judge prepared by the probation office.

BabyBooWV
05-10-2006, 08:21 AM
I called the lawyer that took care of my man's case and he sending my a copy of everything. Do you guys think it will include his PSI?

bellisq
05-10-2006, 09:40 AM
legally, the lawyer should not send you the PSR. There is often a big stamp saying do not duplicate. The PSR is supposed to be limited to defendant, counsel (and case experts), prosecutor, judge and PSR writer.

BabyBooWV
06-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Can he even get a copy of it?

SusanT
06-01-2006, 03:27 PM
BOP policy will not allow him to have the PSR in his possession while incarcerated. He should be able to review it in his counselors office.

Please check all of your paperwork. He should have received a copy of it from his attorney for review prior to the final draft which went to the court.

moetbj
06-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Question, what would the PSI show you? Also, BJ is sending me his case # I am going to have someone take a look at his case, he filed something to do with insufficient counsel and was denied....when I get that case # where can I go to see the case? Also, he had a public defender, how can I contact him? Is there a special division for fed cases when it comes to the PD's office?

bellisq
06-06-2006, 07:04 PM
What do you want to do with the PSI? It is the document that first provides the officlal information for the sentencing judge then is equally important to the BOP for establishing designation, security, etc. His case number is easy to obtain, www.pacer.psc.uscourt.gov (http://www.pacer.psc.uscourt.gov) and register with a credit card, $.08 a page. Almost everything is on pacer, from charges to sentence to motions. (Not th e PSI though) If a new lawyer comes on board, he will get the PSI from the old lawyer. The old one is required to copy the file.

RE: the public defender, i don't think they are going to talk to you unless you have a power of attorney. The federal public defender's office is totally separate from the state PD system, if that is what you are asking.

CalienteStella
06-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Goodness, I have copy of our PSI but can not for the life of me recall how I obtained it! I'll really try to rack my brain and get back with my findings.

SusanT
06-07-2006, 11:54 AM
The attorney should send the defendant a copy immediately upon receipt so that it can be reviewed for errors.

moetbj
06-07-2006, 04:06 PM
thanks bellisq - i went on and was able to view his case. i see he filed a 2251 (i think) in 2001 - and it was denied.....any other ideas on sentence reductions?

bellisq
06-07-2006, 06:29 PM
That is the only post-conviction legal avenue for reduction. If he is eligible for the drug program (RDAP), he could apply for that. Sorry I don't have better news.

Hubie
06-09-2006, 02:00 PM
My son never received a copy of his PSI. When he signed it, his attorney was going to make a copy for him and bring it back, but never did. My son has written while incarcerated requesting a copy from his attorney to no avail. Is there anyway he could get it since he never got a copy????

Please feel free to pm me since I never remember where I posted.

bellisq
06-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Hubie to find your old posts, tap on your name and your profile will come up including threads you started and threads you posted on...by date...Fed-X has made it very easy for us. I also Pm'd you re: PSI.

Zelda50
06-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Hubie - Federal prisoners are not allowed to have copies of their PSI's in there. Zelda

CalienteStella
06-10-2006, 04:19 PM
I have been VERY lucky that I have had access to any and all of Johns findings from day one. When this nightmare all began, John made it VERY clear that I was to be informed, included, advised, addressed, etc.....right along side him. I went through EVERYTHING with a fine tooth comb, questioned, pestered, suggested, demanded, pestered some more, until WE felt comfortable (sometimes seeing the Attorney SEVERAL times a week in order to understand). We were VERY fortunate in the Attorney that we hired.

My suggestion is to just keeping looking, this is YOUR loved one, KEEP DEMANDING. I am a STRONG believe that "where theres a will, theres a way".

jmart
06-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Your Guys Attorney Or Public Defender Should Have Given You A Copy Of His Psi Prior To His Sentencing. If Not, Then Somethings Messed Up???

only4Gerald
06-11-2006, 04:54 AM
My husband sent me a copy of his PSI some time ago. He had to send it in sections (not all at once) because he wasn't supposed to have it. The best way to obtain a copy is through the defense attorney.

keepingstrong
06-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Is the PSI the pre sentence investigation papers that has what your points and all your criminal history? If so I have Randy's no problem...THe FPD sent us a copy of everything. The PSI got in has the family history who he lives with even my son who has got a different father. Are these hard to get a hold of? Maybe that is why Mr. Webster sounded happy when I said I could send him a copy...I guess I lucked out I thought it was the final sentencing papers.

SusanT
06-18-2006, 09:33 PM
The paperwork you have described is the Pre-Sentence Report. These belong to the court. Every defendant should get a copy of his/hers to review as soon as it becomes available. After sentencing, obtaining a copy is sometimes difficult and everyone but the defendant seems to have a copy.

The designated facility, halfway house, and probation department will all have a copy and consider it the manual for "handling" the offender.