View Full Version : HELP What is the "best" prison in this region?

imissmydad
04-29-2006, 10:06 AM
My father was just transfered to RMC images/smilies/frown.gif and he has the option of choosing 3 prisons close to home. (We live in Miami) But we prefer for him to choose the 3 prisons with the best track record for example where he can learn things such as english, computers, ect, or be kept busy in working, where he can exercise or play sport, the safest, with linient visitation, basically wheres its most comfortable to be in, ect....

please, help, images/smilies/confused.gifwe're new to the "prison system" and we just want him to be safe and feel comfortable for the next 3 years of his life.

Thank you for your time.images/smilies/thumbup.gif

imissmydad
04-30-2006, 09:15 AM
please, someone reply. Help us.

bookieworm2000
04-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Sorry I have no idea but welcome

nightbird
05-07-2006, 05:35 PM
I don't know about that area but I didn't think they let them choose prisons, is he federal or state. My husband says the best prisons for being easy and all were Tomoka, Zephyrhills, and he heard good things about Lake. They all have bad and good

MizzLiLoNe1987
07-31-2006, 04:19 PM
I Hear Soth Bay Is Good.... Its Only An Hour Away From Miami Too... Or Moore Haven... Any Prisons By Wackenhut Is Good

GottaLuvJustice
10-11-2006, 04:32 AM
The previous message gave good info! Any privately run prison, run by Wackenhut is much better than the state-run prisons. Moore Haven and South Bay are both private and so they have benefits such as air conditioning and lots of educational programs that most prisons in the state lack. My husband and I are hoping for a transfer to Moore Haven in the next month or so. Hope this all turns out well for your family. I've got 5 years of this under my belt. Three years isn't as bad as it sounds...when I was first starting out, 3 years sounded long, but stay strong and before you know it, several weeks turn into months which soon turn into a year and then more. Head up!

cm1
10-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Any private run prison is good. There are alot of drugs, alcohol and prostitutes running amuck in the privatized prisons. If an inmate has enough money, his time can be real easy. The officers are real easy and they let the inmates do whatever they want. The only problem is when the stronger inmates dominate the weaker ones and there are no officers there to take control. You'll know if a loved one is being bullied by a stronger inmate. They start asking for you to send extra money or maybe deposit the money directly into another inmate account. As long as you keep sending protection money, they should be ok.

nightbird
10-18-2006, 08:41 AM
What security classification are those private prisons??? Are they maximum security??

cm1
10-19-2006, 07:06 PM
They are min/med. security. Close and max management can not be privatized.

Kurts hunny
10-21-2006, 12:55 AM
hiya

can any inmate go in to a private prison?

does it cost money to move them to another prison?

:)

x

MizzLiLoNe1987
10-21-2006, 04:48 PM
there is a waiting list.. a loong one.. and u need to of been in the prison system i believe for 3 years and barely have any d.r.'s. this is from what ive heard i might not be totally correct.... i wish my man was at one...

or-mtwt
11-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Moore Haven only has Medium, Minimum, Community you must be at least one full year without a DR or right up of any kind. you also have to be at the camp you are in for one year or more before a move can be even talked about. Zephyrhills is a Sr camp now they have very few young guys there at all and to request to be put there you have to be at least 50 years old I tired to get George there and they told us no as he was not that old. its right on 301 and 9 or minutes from my house... sigh... I may see about getting him there next year... if he will agree with it. Something else the inmate must start the process not you if you try and get him moved for any other reason then putting the life of a family member in jeopardy with traveling you might as well figure they will send him to the pan handle if you want him South. but if you wait till he puts in the paper work for it and gets no where you might be able to help with that transfer if you go about it the right way. but you have to walk on glass to do it.

Deborah

tinaheny
03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Wondering if anybody is familiar with south Florida prisons and which is the best to serve your time at? What makes it the best in your opinion? Is there any way to choose which prison you will go to? Sorry if my questions sound stupid but my man will be relocating soon after reception and we don't know where he might go. What cah he do to try and get to a good place?

Thanks for any help....

Jillian
03-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Welcome to pto , i am moving this too the florida forum where you will get all the help you need :D

tinaheny
03-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks for placing me in the right spot. I was beginning to take it personal when no one replied...:thumbsup:

haswtch
03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
I think part of the problem is that 1) there may not be any great ones and 2) may not be much you can do about a choice. Correct me if I'm wrong, Florida peoples...

JazzyJFL
03-26-2007, 08:10 PM
There are none in Florida.

Florida Girl
03-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, and while I don't know firsthand (yet)...I'd be willing to venture a guess that the two private facilities run by _______ (name escapes me...used to be Wackenhut), would be the "best"...or rather, least painful, I suppose. My understanding is that these two facilities are both air conditioned. And their may also be more programs available to inmates. But again, I do not know firsthand.

Roger's Mom
03-31-2007, 08:52 PM
With the new governor on board there are reforms going on but Florida is notorious for being a very, very bad place to serve time.

The parole board does not do its job. There are thousands who are parole eligible but who never come before the board. There is a lengthy story behind this but suffice it to say that if your loved one is serving time in Florida it will undoubtedly be hard time.

That being said, it can be up to the inmate as to what kind of trouble he/she might have. If prisoners determine to be helpful, stick to the rules, be respectful of the corrections personnel, and stay under the radar, they may be able to get by fairly unscathed. This is how my son has been able to do it. But then again, he is a martial arts teacher and has a black belt in more than one of them. Nobody messes with him. But he is so friendly and helpful that nobody wants to "mess" with him in the first place. He served for 13 years at Cross City CI (near Gainesville) and earned the respect and goodwill of all the officers and staff at the facility. He's having to start over at Hardee but I'm confident he will do the same there in time.

I just hope the reforms in the system continue and that the shameful problems that have been going on for years are corrected. The first reform I noticed had to do with the phone situation. It used to cost us $20 to get a phone call from my son. After years of this travesty being perpetuated, someone finally got this changed. It now costs us $6.50 per phone call. Years ago, when MCI was first awarded the contract and we received our first bill, I did a letter-writing campaign to anyone and everyone involved in the inmate phone situation to no avail. Many, many others did the same with the same result. I'm assuming that the push for prison reform has made the difference in this area. Again, I hope it continues.

There has been a push to do away with the parole board. It almost passed in the last legislative effort. It would have been a good thing, especially for those with minimum mandatory sentences (like my son). Minimum mandatory sentences would be commuted and there would be a set number of years assigned in place; but it has been quite some time since I was familiar with this issue so I may not be remembering this precisely.

Again, there is no "best" prison in FL and even if there were, regardless of what the system states, it is rare indeed if a prisoner is ever sent to a facility of choice. The DOC used to take into consideration the travel time for families to visit prisoners but this is no longer in place. I live in TN and they just shipped my son to south FL. Go figure. When he first entered the system in 1992, one of the things I became familiar with was the FLDOC Web site. On it was written something to the effect that they were not there to punish families of prisoners--that prisoners will be placed in facilities as near as possible to where their families lived. I'm not sure what went wrong--perhaps that was around the time that corruption really became entrenched within the system--but all of a sudden, things changed.

So, the answer to your question is no, your man can't choose where he wants to go--just hope they don't ship him to the panhandle. But that's all you can do is hope.

I'm sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news but it is better to be honest than say something just to make you feel better.

All the best,

Roger's Mom

tinaheny
04-05-2007, 08:44 PM
With the new governor on board there are reforms going on but Florida is notorious for being a very, very bad place to serve time.

The parole board does not do its job. There are thousands who are parole eligible but who never come before the board. There is a lengthy story behind this but suffice it to say that if your loved one is serving time in Florida it will undoubtedly be hard time.

That being said, it can be up to the inmate as to what kind of trouble he/she might have. If prisoners determine to be helpful, stick to the rules, be respectful of the corrections personnel, and stay under the radar, they may be able to get by fairly unscathed. This is how my son has been able to do it. But then again, he is a martial arts teacher and has a black belt in more than one of them. Nobody messes with him. But he is so friendly and helpful that nobody wants to "mess" with him in the first place. He served for 13 years at Cross City CI (near Gainesville) and earned the respect and goodwill of all the officers and staff at the facility. He's having to start over at Hardee but I'm confident he will do the same there in time.

I just hope the reforms in the system continue and that the shameful problems that have been going on for years are corrected. The first reform I noticed had to do with the phone situation. It used to cost us $20 to get a phone call from my son. After years of this travesty being perpetuated, someone finally got this changed. It now costs us $6.50 per phone call. Years ago, when MCI was first awarded the contract and we received our first bill, I did a letter-writing campaign to anyone and everyone involved in the inmate phone situation to no avail. Many, many others did the same with the same result. I'm assuming that the push for prison reform has made the difference in this area. Again, I hope it continues.

There has been a push to do away with the parole board. It almost passed in the last legislative effort. It would have been a good thing, especially for those with minimum mandatory sentences (like my son). Minimum mandatory sentences would be commuted and there would be a set number of years assigned in place; but it has been quite some time since I was familiar with this issue so I may not be remembering this precisely.

Again, there is no "best" prison in FL and even if there were, regardless of what the system states, it is rare indeed if a prisoner is ever sent to a facility of choice. The DOC used to take into consideration the travel time for families to visit prisoners but this is no longer in place. I live in TN and they just shipped my son to south FL. Go figure. When he first entered the system in 1992, one of the things I became familiar with was the FLDOC Web site. On it was written something to the effect that they were not there to punish families of prisoners--that prisoners will be placed in facilities as near as possible to where their families lived. I'm not sure what went wrong--perhaps that was around the time that corruption really became entrenched within the system--but all of a sudden, things changed.

So, the answer to your question is no, your man can't choose where he wants to go--just hope they don't ship him to the panhandle. But that's all you can do is hope.

I'm sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news but it is better to be honest than say something just to make you feel better.

All the best,

Roger's Mom

Thanks for all the info, I hope it has changed since you were so familiar with it. He is easy to get along wth too and very smart. Works out regularly and keeps to himself. Just has a little trouble with ingnorance. Thanks again.. Good luck to you and your son...

niuyoricanpr
04-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I think part of the problem is that 1) there may not be any great ones and 2) may not be much you can do about a choice. Correct me if I'm wrong, Florida peoples...

You r as correct as u can be haswtch!

Lola Nibbles
05-01-2007, 04:45 PM
South Bay (IMHO)

AriesMom
05-01-2007, 09:35 PM
"best prison" reminds me of a few things..criminal justice, a little pregnant, jumbo shrimp, relative truth, just to name a few.

Florida Girl
05-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Agreed, Aries...quite the oxymoron, eh?

sandrapinkoski
07-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Well, as an addendum to my previous diatribe (sorry about the long message), it's July and some time has passed since my son was transferred to Hardee (South Florida, just above the Everglades). About the only plus there so far is that he says they can watch a movie through until the end (they don't call count and interrupt so that the men can't see the last half), as they did at Cross City (near Gainesville). At Hardee the library sucks and the mail doesn't always get through.

One inmate I correspond with says that Martin C.I. is okay. He's been there since Oct. or Nov. last year. But same thing re the mail--he doesn't get all the mail he's sent and the senders of his mail don't get the mail returned to them.

I hope prison reform is continuing. Don't know for sure. Can't find anything on the 'Net about it.

As I've said before, most people don't care about prisoners unless they experience having a loved one in the system.

-----------------Sandra

Demonsgirl
07-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Demon is at Tomoka C.I. right now but he is getting ready to transfer to South Bay...or atleast put in a request to go there. South Bay is a private facility operated by The GEO Group, Inc.(formerly Wackenhut Corrections Corporation) under contract with the Correctional Privatization Commission. From what I have heard it seems to be a better facility because it is privately ran, not through DOC. South Bay also seems to offer a few more vocational programs than Tomoka C.I. Hope this helps :)

bailey3120
07-27-2007, 08:55 PM
I heard coleman is good ....miami FDc and all other suck
Coleman is suppose to be similar to a "martha stewart" place. ...is it? I dont' know ....they wouldn't transfer my Dad.

Miami is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...high rise ....no sunlight!

frankieswifey
08-02-2007, 02:16 PM
My boyfriend is at MooreHaven C.F. He seems to like it there-they have ac, he said the food isn't bad and he is starting school soon-they offer programs in certain specialities. He gets my mail and I get all of his (unlike at SFRC where the guards tear people's mail up before it gets sent out). He told me that when they walk down the halls to go to rec that it looks like a school-like classrooms rather than a prison. I am no expert on prisons but that sounds like the best one I have heard about. Especially after hearing about sfrc where they have no ac and the guards misuse their authority to the fullest.

ldinges
08-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Coleman is a Federal Prison.

S0ULMATES
07-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Hey everyone.

I am new to the forum and I am soooooooo happy to have found a board like prison talk.

My hubby is currently at Gainesville C.I and wanted to transfer to region IV when his review is due. If anyone knows how Gainesville C.I. is, then you know how laid back it is, especially because there is currently only about 350-400 inmates. I just want some insight on some facilities that are not as harsh and strict, especially when dealing with visitation.

Thank you for your time and you guys will be seeing more of me.:thumbsup:

miamidolfangirl
07-08-2008, 01:36 PM
My personal choices are Martin and Everglades in Region IV. My hubby is currently housed at Glades CI, it is the absolute worst prison we have been to in 8 years.

I haven't been to Martin in awhile but just like any prison you will have your moments but for the most part. the officers leave you alone.

Everglades was good as well. The officers never messed with you. I wish my hubby could go back there. Visits were only one day either Sat or Sun. depending on if the last digit in his DC number was even or odd. But I never had a problem when he was there. uggh... He is so miserable at Glades. I am miserable at Glades every week its a new rule and it depends on how the officers feel as to what kind of day it will be.

I am wishing the next 4 1/2 years away, I can't wait for this to all be over with. I am so ready......

Good luck. I wish you the best...

S0ULMATES
07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Thank you so much for your feedback, it was greatly appreciated. I am so nervous for his transfer and hope that he will be ok where he is at.

Try not to think too much about the time your man is doing and just stay positive for what tomorrow may bring. It will all be over soon.

FloridaDefender
09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't want to sound harsh but Gainesville's CI or Alachua County's ACDC are very laid back, clean, and not too crowded...in comparison to what you're looking at down here. If he's transferring to county down here, it'll be less pleasant, but clearly not as bad as Glades (which is just a horrible place).

CalendarLady
10-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Glades CI is the worst place ever. It is in a small country town where everybody knows everybody. They are related to each other someway shape or form. In addition to that they tried to railroad him the minute he got there. I called and spoke to the Captain on Duty who was just a major, major AXXHXXX. When I could not get anywhere with him and saw how he even tried to blow me off and railroad my husband, I immediately went to war and e-mailed everybody in Tallahassee and the Region IV offices demanding that he is transferred out of there.

Needless to say, they are getting him out of there. I am very pleased at how fast Tallahassee responded to my e-mails and phone calls regarding my hubby. I am amazed at how fast they put fire under their butts even last night. I understand that place and the people there are the PITS!!:blah:

mrs_young
10-31-2008, 01:20 PM
moore haven is nice also very layed back also they have ac and microwaves and they have alot of classes[trades]he can learn

DIANA_CHRIS
04-21-2009, 08:37 PM
I was wondering which prison do you think from personal experience are the best in region 4 area.:confused:

imissmybaby08
04-23-2009, 08:10 AM
My boo said that South Bay CF is pretty sweet. thats all i know from that. thats a private facility tho.

Richs_wife
04-28-2009, 03:58 PM
My boo said that South Bay CF is pretty sweet. thats all i know from that. thats a private facility tho.
My husband says the same thing. Except he's heard its hard to get to work release from there. Other than that, its got A/C, sattelite TV, and they get to watch movies on saturday. He says its like a college dorm that he is not allowed to leave.

BAYBAYWIFE
03-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Hello PT Fam. I would like to know if anyone have any info on the good or at least decent camps in region 4. My husband right now is in region 2 and he wants to come closer to home. ANY information good or bad would be appreciated. Thanks

dallaswife2b
09-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Well moore haven c f and hardee ci are good. glades ci dade ci sfrc south bay are all corrupt.